Official 2019-2020 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What role does class rank play in deciding whether to give an applicant an interview? Can it be the deciding factor?
I doubt it has that much influence. I mean, having a good class rank cant hurt and can only help, but I don't know if there's a way to quantify how much it actually helps.

Members don't see this ad.

What role does class rank play in deciding whether to give an applicant an interview? Can it be the deciding factor?
Not really an answer to your question, but my school (USMD) doesn't even rank their students. The only thing the programs will know are our clerkship/course grades, our clerkship comments, and our board scores.

I know I am a little late in asking this but is there a list of people that are willing to read over personal statements?

Members don't see this ad :)
Few schools give a class rank any more. Some give a quartile. Others provide nothing with regards to rank.
For those who do receive a rank from their school, it is a huge factor in determining who will be getting an interview. Obviously, AOA and first quartile will receive a lot. Second quartile will receive a lot as well. Fourth quartile students are at risk.

Reactions: 1 user

Blade, in your experience what role does class rank/quartile play in deciding to give applicant an interview? Is it a common interview filter?

Blade, in your experience what role does class rank/quartile play in deciding to give applicant an interview? Is it a common interview filter?

Gern Blansten answered that question for you. Class rank is 1 Factor among many used by programs. Each program has their own criteria. Lower tier programs may value Step 1 and interview over class rank while mid tier programs may think class rank is important.

Many schools no longer provide class rank. I still think step 1 scores (and step 2) are the major screening tool used by programs. Don’t forget your clinical grades and letters of recommendation. They matter too.

Last edited:
I'm back applying to reapply anesthesia this year. Last cycle was an absolute nightmare for me (250/251, 1st pass CS, no red flags with 8IVs to top to mid-tier programs and didn't match). Had to SOAP for a prelim spot. I've been working on my interviewing skills so hopefully I can actually get a Physician R spot this cycle.

I do have a question. I will be applying to all the R spots this cycle, but I was wondering if it is good to apply to C and/or A spots as well? My advisors can't help me on this and I don't want to get burned again.

Unless you are on visa (and that changes the whole game), you can apply to all of them. I have seen people match in categorical spots in a particular program in a specific city for family reasons already being PGY-2-4 switching from other specialties. Also, have you shown your application to an anesthesia PD or any PD? It sounds odd not matching with those numbers and no red flags, sometimes we are not the best judges of our own application.

Gern Blansten answered that question for you. Class rank is 1 Factor among many used by programs. Each program has their own criteria. Lower tier programs may value Step 1 and interview over class rank while mid tier programs may think class rank is important.

Many schools no longer provide class rank. I still think step 1 scores (and step 2) are the major screening tool used by programs. Don’t forget your clinical grades and letters of recommendation. They matter too.

Agree. As an example in our program applicants with other degrees or a military background get a small bump. The idea behind it is that these people are hardworking individuals that weren't afraid of a career switch, etc, etc.

Unless you are on visa (and that changes the whole game), you can apply to all of them. I have seen people match in categorical spots in a particular program in a specific city for family reasons already being PGY-2-4 switching from other specialties. Also, have you shown your application to an anesthesia PD or any PD? It sounds odd not matching with those numbers and no red flags, sometimes we are not the best judges of our own application.

Yea I showed it to my medical school anesthesia PD; she was just as surprised as very body else. But thanks

Yea I showed it to my medical school anesthesia PD; she was just as surprised as very body else. But thanks

Strange that she was surprised since she put in her own rank list. Is your home program a top program? Did any of your classmates match at your home program? I can’t help but think there must have been negative comments in your application. Your stats are above average so there must be something negative elsewhere in the application. It’s important to find out what that is and address it.

In 2018, 562/564 USMD’s with Step 1 over 230 matched.

Attachments

• 69B942C0-F794-43EB-9C9D-C7CCB98E71A4.jpeg
    69B942C0-F794-43EB-9C9D-C7CCB98E71A4.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
DO student with 215-220 step1
No step2
Complex level 1 between 440-460
Comlex level 2 between 570 and 590
No red flags but nothing spectacular either.

Do I just apply to a 100 programs and pray?

Thoughts.

No step2

Thoughts.

Lower Tier Academic Programs and Community programs. Honestly, I hope you MATCH but there are no guarantees. You should plan on applying to 50 programs across the USA with a focus on DO friendly programs.

You need excellent LORs to help this process. Do you have any? What about any "away rotations"?

No step2

Thoughts.
That’s a really low COMLEX step 1. That’s hard to overcome.
Consider not releasing your COMLEX scores into ERAS. I think it is all or none so that if you release step 2 you have to release step 1. Since your step 2 is not that great either, you’re not losing much by shielding them. Some programs will ask but likely not until during or after the interview when you already have your foot in the door.
Apply broadly.
Consider taking USMLE step 2 and get a 240 or greater and your chances go up significantly.
Consider a back up plan like family medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
No step2

Thoughts.
I think that we are DO friendly and except for my few DO colleagues nobody knows what's a good vs bad COMLEX is. However that step 1, which is low, w/o a step 2 is a red flag. I would take step 2 soon and try to do well.

Reactions: 1 users
That’s a really low COMLEX step 1. That’s hard to overcome.
Consider not releasing your COMLEX scores into ERAS. I think it is all or none so that if you release step 2 you have to release step 1. Since your step 2 is not that great either, you’re not losing much by shielding them. Some programs will ask but likely not until during or after the interview when you already have your foot in the door.
Apply broadly.
Consider taking USMLE step 2 and get a 240 or greater and your chances go up significantly.
Consider a back up plan like family medicine.
Honest response. A 240 Step 2 score will help a lot but unlikely considering the low Comlex and Step 1 below 220.
A backup plan like Family Medicine does seem wise.

Strange that she was surprised since she put in her own rank list. Is your home program a top program? Did any of your classmates match at your home program? I can’t help but think there must have been negative comments in your application. Your stats are above average so there must be something negative elsewhere in the application. It’s important to find out what that is and address it.

She told me she wasn't involved in the process (but that could be another program director lie). And yea, 2 people did.

I know the stats, which is why it stung so hard to match when I didn't match when I supposed to be a statistical shoe in for a spot.

I spent months trying to figure out if there was anything concerning on my application. I couldn't find anything wrong on it (never failed anything, no bad remarks) and neither could my advisors.

How is investing perceived as an interest in the application? A friend of mine told me that it is perceived as something greedy and advised me to take it off. What do you guys think?

How is investing perceived as an interest in the application? A friend of mine told me that it is perceived as something greedy and advised me to take it off. What do you guys think?

I feel like people in medicine (especially anesthesiologists) are headed toward being more financially savvy. Lots of doctors listen to WCI. 2-3 of the active bloggers on WCI are anesthesiologists. If you know what you're doing and can talk about it without sounding dumb, I say go for it. Would make for a good conversation during the interview.

She told me she wasn't involved in the process (but that could be another program director lie). And yea, 2 people did.

I know the stats, which is why it stung so hard to match when I didn't match when I supposed to be a statistical shoe in for a spot.

I spent months trying to figure out if there was anything concerning on my application. I couldn't find anything wrong on it (never failed anything, no bad remarks) and neither could my advisors.
How many interviews did you get? If you received invites to 10 or more and ranked 9-10 or more programs and did not match, consider that there is something in your interviewing style that is problematic. Do practice interviews with someone who does a lot of them and ask for them to be candid with you. Ask for brutal honesty. It will be difficult fro you to hear and hard for them to deliver, but ask them specifically. Some people interview poorly for whatever reason. They may have poor eye contact, poor verbal communication, poor filter for knowing what to say,If you have competitive numbers and you get the interviews, but then don't get ranked, there is something more to the story.
The issue is compounded now because you have to try to defend why you did not match last year in addition to whatever else you had to overcome.
Good luck.

I would match you into the residency and then ask you to manage my portfolio.

Are you talking investing? Or more personal finance in general? I did list personal finance as an interest and it led to a few good conversations in interviews.

I am talking about investing. I invest in bonds, treasure letters, real estate. In my third world country, treasure can give you 7 to 9% of interest, insured up to 200k U$. But I loved the idea of personal finance. Thank you for the replies.

Last edited:

Yes, Step 1 of 230+ is the number needed to LIKELY Match into Anesthesiology. DOs with less than 230 on the Step 1 will have a much harder time getting a spot.

Hey all! I am applying this year, but I am unsure if 60 programs are enough. US MD, step 1 215, step 2 239. Some honors/excellents on rotations along with some passes. Do you think this is enough?

Hey all! I am applying this year, but I am unsure if 60 programs are enough. US MD, step 1 215, step 2 239. Some honors/excellents on rotations along with some passes. Do you think this is enough?
I think what has been echoed above for applicants with stats similar to yours. Apply broadly and focus on the lower tier academic and community programs as well. Statistically speaking you should be fine, but based off of the increase in applicants and the general trend of MATCH getting more competitive it'll be tough getting a lot of interviews. However, your Step 2 improvement and I'm sure good LORs will probably help you out a bit. Best of luck!

lol did everyone on this thread slip into a coma after submitting their apps? I was expecting to see at least a few pages of panic

lol did everyone on this thread slip into a coma after submitting their apps? I was expecting to see at least a few pages of panic

Maybe it got channeled to the ERAS panic thread?

Just woke up from my coma and got an email from a program confirming they have my app. Had a mini heart attack.

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe it got channeled to the ERAS panic thread?

Just woke up from my coma and got an email from a program confirming they have my app. Had a mini heart attack.
Mt. Sinai does this every year:lol::lol:

Yes, Step 1 of 230+ is the number needed to LIKELY Match into Anesthesiology. DOs with less than 230 on the Step 1 will have a much harder time getting a spot.

FYI for US MD students in recent years, NBME reports that over 98% of students in 220-229 STEP 1 range match anesthesia, so your numbers are wrong. Moreso, 96% of DOs matched in that range too, so I have a hard time saying 230+ is number needed, especially when a 232 is average... lol

Supposedly U Florida has sent out invites? Are these people from home program or a strong connection? Anyone know?

FYI for US MD students in recent years, NBME reports that over 98% of students in 220-229 STEP 1 range match anesthesia, so your numbers are wrong. Moreso, 96% of DOs matched in that range too, so I have a hard time saying 230+ is number needed, especially when a 232 is average... lol

The 230 step 1 included a buffer due to the increasing competition to match. Things are tougher now. I hope you match with a 220 but I suspect that will require a lot of applications and some luck.

As for DO vs MD the gap is narrowing and I suspect the step 1 scores to reflect that more and more.

Anyone with a below average step score should be anxious this cycle as more and more DOs graduate with above average step scores looking to match into Anesthesiology.

Good luck.

220 with the rest of the application in good shape is likely fine. May not get one of the top three picks, but will likely match. 220 with a failed course or many c's is a big problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
In 2018, 116 USMD’s with step 1 of 210 or less entered the match and 96 of them matched including someone with a step 1 between 181-190. 220 should be more than adequate.

Hi everyone, also applying anesthesia this year. Here are my stats:

DO student
Step 1: low 230s
Level 1: mid 500s
Step 2: low 250s
Level 2: upper 500s

Good luck to everyone :)

Hi everyone, also applying anesthesia this year. Here are my stats:

DO student
Step 1: low 230s
Level 1: mid 500s
Step 2: low 250s
Level 2: upper 500s

Good luck to everyone :)
Your user name is the biggest threat to not matching...and that is coming from someone who picked the name Gern Blansten.:)

Reactions: 4 users
Hi guys

What are my chances
DO Student
Step 1: 205
Step 2 244

Comlex 1: 528
Comlex 2: 566

I ended up applying to close to 90 programs

Hi guys

What are my chances
DO Student
Step 2 244

I have a 221 and 501. Haven’t taken level or step 2 yet but passed PE. I applied to >100

good luck to us all.
I ended up scaling back to 26 programs and several prelims/TYs. Hope that will be enough:xf:

If my school uploaded an updated transcript to ERAS yesterday afternoon, do I need to email each program I applied to and ask them to download the latest version? I mean, I will def do it, I just want to make sure it is proper protocol.

If my school uploaded an updated transcript to ERAS yesterday afternoon, do I need to email each program I applied to and ask them to download the latest version? I mean, I will def do it, I just want to make sure it is proper protocol.

I believe programs get notified when an app is updated (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Hi guys

What are my chances
DO Student
Step 2 244

That is a really low Step 1 score but decent Step 2. I think 90 was overkill but I would say 50 is reasonable. Let's hope those 90 include some community and bottom tier programs.

In 2018, 116 USMD’s with step 1 of 210 or less entered the match and 96 of them matched including someone with a step 1 between 181-190. 220 should be more than adequate.

This cycle if I had a Step 1 of 220 or lower I would be very nervous about matching. But, as Gern has posted grades, letters and publications do matter as well.

Med Students are very good about focusing on those programs willing to accept someone with a Step 1 less than 215. I truly hope that trend continues and those with very low Step 1 score aren't completely shut out of the specialty. That said, the gap between DO and MD is beginning to narrow and programs may very well take a DO with good grades and slightly below average Step scores over an MD with a very low Step 1 and 2. More and more DOs are graduating each year haven taken Step 1 and 2.

Does anyone know when interviews invites will start to come in for anesthesiology?