COMLEX Official 2019 Comlex 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASGD1983

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's that time of the year. Anyone took new Comsae recently? Hopefully it's more predicitve than old ones that were all over the place - like +/- 100 points.
Also, interesting to hear if this years comlex is indeed changed? If anyone took it recently - please share your experience. Especially if you can compare it to previous year one.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hoping more experienced people chime in. Our school bought us 102 and 104 to take on our own, and 105 for proctored qualifying exam. I planned on taking one a couple days before the proctored exam to see if I’m ready (we can pick from 5 proctored dates), and one between my Step and my comlex.

Again, not experienced here, but since COMSAE doesn't really tell you what you got wrong and how it was a pretty frustrating and educationally useless experience for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Imho it's not content that matters (we all know NBOME sucks), but scoring at this point for new comsaes. Curve is harsher and that makes it something like "evidence based medicine'' lol - meaning if it will hopefully yield similar score or higher on comlex even if questions are crap - that's all that matters lol. For content and weakness assessment use NBME and UW. And btw NBMEs are crap shoot too, people are getting 35 point differences in 1 week on NBMEs. That is 190 and 225 on 2 NBMEs taken 1 week apart. If NBMEs are like that - what do you expect comsaes will be? Please, let's not turn this thread into yet another NBOME sucks thread. We already know that :)

so another question: I am not very confident in my abilities for the test and am wondering about moving my usmle after comlex (the same days apart as usual test takers). Does anyone have experience with this and could suggest this? I know that it'll be brutal trying to study for OMM prior to usmle but I don't have a choice in moving my comlex date.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks brah. Love it lol, that exam was straight hot garbage compared to UW. Apparently I'm deficient in "osteopathic principles" and "interpersonal communication skills in the osteopathic profession", so thats helpful in guiding my studying lol

Those were the only categories I tanked too. Lol.

Maybe somehow the NBOME knows which students are also taking USMLE & they default your "osteopathic-ness" categories to 0th percentile.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Those were the only categories I tanked too. Lol.

Maybe somehow the NBOME knows which students are also taking USMLE & they default your "osteopathic-ness" categories to 0th percentile.
Minus 5pts everytime you speak poorly of chapmans points, cranial, or our lord and Savior AT still. Im suprised there was no question on "whos the founder of this technique" or "when was the first osteopathic school founded"

Minus 5pts everytime you speak poorly of chapmans points, cranial, or our lord and Savior AT still. Im suprised there was no question on "whos the founder of this technique" or "when was the first osteopathic school founded"

Actually ya, now that you mention it... there was no history questions in my experience either. Weird.

KCU likes to ask us what day/time AT Still "threw the flag osteopathy into the breeze" on every midterm & final.. I don't know if it's an inside joke in the OMM department or if they actually think that's important. But I guess that random factoid is now 100% percent useless if there are no history questions on comlex lol. Great.

• Haha
Well according to the text I just got from my buddy during a break in his COMLEX none of what we are studying is relevant lol. Says it is exponentially more difficult than Step because so many of the questions are completely off the wall, like asking about legal topics that there is no way we've ever heard of it and stuff like that.

Gotta love the NBOME.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
On every nbome exam you ever take you’ll be guessing that much or more. My sister is an attending and she didn’t know multiple questions I had on my comat for her specified field

I legit screenshot some of the questions on one of the COMSAE's and looked them up afterwards and even with the power of the internet still couldn't figure out which answer they wanted as the correct one lol.

Well according to the text I just got from my buddy during a break in his COMLEX none of what we are studying is relevant lol. Says it is exponentially more difficult than Step because so many of the questions are completely off the wall, like asking about legal topics that there is no way we've ever heard of it and stuff like that.

Gotta love the NBOME.
This is pay back for everyone calling the comlex the easier exam, NBOME is salty

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
I legit screenshot some of the questions on one of the COMSAE's and looked them up afterwards and even with the power of the internet still couldn't figure out which answer they wanted as the correct one lol.
can you ask him if it is a good idea to take usmle after comlex? I'm just as salty right now for taking new forms of these tests like I did for the MCAT

I’ve heard people succeeding both ways. Think of COMLEX as a warm up to get your stamina up for the big run. If you gotta switch it you gotta switch it. Better to go into a non ideal situation then not do well because you aren’t prepared.

Honestly (some) of OMM has helped with anatomy questions so it’s not a complete time sink for Step 1, just like a 70% time sink

I'm not really sure it actually matters. From the sound of it though a lot of questions you can't prepare for, whereas every person I know that has taken Step has said how fair it is and there isn't anything on there where you won't have at least some semblance of an idea of what they are talking about.

Actually ya, now that you mention it... there was no history questions in my experience either. Weird.

KCU likes to ask us what day/time AT Still "threw the flag osteopathy into the breeze" on every midterm & final.. I don't know if it's an inside joke in the OMM department or if they actually think that's important. But I guess that random factoid is now 100% percent useless if there are no history questions on comlex lol. Great.
This used to be a thing but history questions are not on Comlex anymore. That's why schools used to test it

Members don't see this ad :)
For reference in case anyone wanted to know how trash form 105 is, 57% of my class scored below our cutoff of 450 with an average of 438. Last year it was only 15% with an average of 542.

How does this sort of exam even get released? I'm really getting the feeling the NBOME just wants to watch the world burn

• Wow
  • Haha
For reference in case anyone wanted to know how trash form 105 is, 57% of my class scored below our cutoff of 450 with an average of 438. Last year it was only 15% with an average of 542.

How does this sort of exam even get released? I'm really getting the feeling the NBOME just wants to watch the world burn

and yet they make 160 people retake it....

The NBOME office is going for a lobster dinner next week!

Haha I told you guys! There were some skeptics who didn't believe these COMSAEs could be that bad. I legit think these things might underpredict by 100 points.

I mean if new Comsaes are under-predicting (and it looks that way) - that is actually a good thing imho.

I mean if new Comsaes are under-predicting (and it looks that way) - that is actually a good thing imho.

Not if your school applies the same logic to them as they did before.
If you don't get XXX, you need to retake it/meet with us/take our board prep course/can't take the comlex.
People are under SEVERE stress because they have to take a test that we don't know how to interpret and face consequences based on that.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Not if your school applies the same logic to them as they did before.
If you don't get XXX, you need to retake it/meet with us/take our board prep course/can't take the comlex.
People are under SEVERE stress because they have to take a test that we don't know how to interpret and face consequences based on that.
Most schools seem to be adjusting cutoffs in response at least though...at least the ones who took it later/haven’t taken it yet

Most schools seem to be adjusting cutoffs in response at least though...at least the ones who took it later/haven’t taken it yet

Agreed. However, making students take it again because they didn't meet the cutoff (which at least one school did) puts them under stress that some handle better than others. I see no benefit to that.

Agreed. However, making students take it again because they didn't meet the cutoff (which at least one school did) puts them under stress that some handle better than others. I see no benefit to that.
I mean you have to show you can pass before they let you take comlex...this isn’t new. They should’ve adjusted the cutoff but nobody knew how terrible the new exams were yet.

It sucks, but makes complete sense

So a little update from my buddy who just finished. Apparently the user interface is absolutely atrocious. Going to the next question takes a few seconds, and scrolling is super glitchy meaning some of your time gets sucked up. The stems are somehow even longer than the were before, this is even stated on the NBOME website, and the lab values are actually embedded in the stem which makes it a lot harder to pick out the important data points you need to answer the question.

He said the questions were very much all or nothing. Either so easy you'd have to be brain dead to miss it or so obscure and random that you would have no idea what they were talking about. Very obscure OMM that no amount of prep would help you with.

Just to give a bit of background, this guy is top of the class, smashed all NBMEs and even the new COMSAEs.

I can't believe our careers are hinging on such a terrible exam lol.

• Wow
So a little update from my buddy who just finished. Apparently the user interface is absolutely atrocious. Going to the next question takes a few seconds, and scrolling is super glitchy meaning some of your time gets sucked up. The stems are somehow even longer than the were before, this is even stated on the NBOME website, and the lab values are actually embedded in the stem which makes it a lot harder to pick out the important data points you need to answer the question.

He said the questions were very much all or nothing. Either so easy you'd have to be brain dead to miss it or so obscure and random that you would have no idea what they were talking about. Very obscure OMM that no amount of prep would help you with.

Just to give a bit of background, this guy is top of the class, smashed all NBMEs and even the new COMSAEs.

I can't believe our careers are hinging on such a terrible exam lol.

This sucks to hear and have confirmed. I have heard similar reports about very, very vague or obscure questions that pretty much require guessing. The only consoling thought I'm repeating to myself is that if a super high achieving student feels that way about certain questions, then the majority of test takers feel the same way. So I guess that evens the playing field. :shrug:

This sucks to hear and have confirmed. I have heard similar reports about very, very vague or obscure questions that pretty much require guessing. The only consoling thought I'm repeating to myself is that if a super high achieving student feels that way about certain questions, then the majority of test takers feel the same way. So I guess that evens the playing field. :shrug:
That's the only consolation, that it's standardized.

Would love to see the stats on some of the Q and how many they actually use to score people.

I can totally imagine it being like the stupid Basic Science COMAT we had to take in January where the average is literally only like 45% correct and a 70% is like a 90%ile+. I would not put it past the NBOME to write a test like that.

Yeah, our only hope is that it's standardized test, so I'm guessing curve on comlex will be a lot more generous. It has to be.

Same issues with the COMSAE at our school. We had form 105 first then 103. Last year 60% passed the cutoff the first time, this year 9 students passed the first time. Our admins are confused at why we are stupid, they havent adjusted the cutoffs. Though at this point most everyone has passed.

Also can confirm the vagueness of the real thing via a friend. Pretty smart guy, said some questions were impossible to figure out what they were asking.

Same issues with the COMSAE at our school. We had form 105 first then 103. Last year 60% passed the cutoff the first time, this year 9 students passed the first time. Our admins are confused at why we are stupid, they havent adjusted the cutoffs. Though at this point most everyone has passed.

Also can confirm the vagueness of the real thing via a friend. Pretty smart guy, said some questions were impossible to figure out what they were asking.

I wonder this about myself pretty frequently.

• Haha
Update if it helps anyone. My step 1 was 256. Comlex is actually kind of hard. Timing is difficult. Opp wasn't that difficult. The new video questions are annoying. The new UI is not user friendly. I think I had too many day offs between the exams. Good luck to all.

Reactions: 4 users
Update if it helps anyone. My step 1 was 256. Comlex is actually kind of hard. Timing is difficult. Opp wasn't that difficult. The new video questions are annoying. The new UI is not user friendly. I think I had too many day offs between the exams. Good luck to all.

How many days did you have between exams? What makes the timing difficult? I've heard this from multiple people. Is it the question stem length or taking more time to decipher vague questions?

How many days did you have between exams? What makes the timing difficult? I've heard this from multiple people. Is it the question stem length or taking more time to decipher vague questions?

16 or so. Earliest comlex was allowed to be scheduled that's why. It's both vague, and some questions have stupid long stems filled with extraneous information. There are many that are just two sentences. The easy questions are stupid easy. There are repeat concepts on different blocks.

• Wow
Lol I saw this on Reddit and anyone I know that has taken it says it is spot on

• Haha
I still believe that if one does UFAPS and is in general ready for step 1 - then level 1 should not be an issue. Even with lost points in some weird questions etc.

For those who are familiar with or have taken the 2019 COMLEX lvl 1, can u offer any input on whether combank or Comquests style was more reflective of the real exam, in terms of layout and content

I've been reading and following this thread and last years so I just wanted to add my humble opinion. Also, to add some statistics similar to what many of the MD students with the Step 1 thread do each year and possibly shine a little light about my experience for the DO's embarking on this journey into the great dark abyss we know as Level 1.

Began questions with Combank back in January, finished around a week out from my exam with an overall average ~70%. (Started low in the 50's, gradually and quickly rose however into the 70's and 80's).
Uworld Average: 65% (Same pattern as Combank essentially in terms of scoring).
I also did some Kaplan questions and FA questions on my phone, never finished either of these banks but averages were ~60%.

FA: Did 1 full pass before dedicated period and then referred back to the text religiously while going through UWorld and annotating (as I'm sure most people are finding out, no FA does not contain EVERYTHING, but it does a very nice job providing a brief clinical picture or description).
Pathoma: I personally thought by far that this was the best source for Pathology. The first few chapters were incredibly helpful in regards to bringing everything together and having a relatively good understanding of the foundation of Pathological processes.
UWorld: I mean come on, we all know it's importance by this point.
Combank: Ehh, thought the OMM questions were helpful, but if I could do it over again I would have only used it for this portion.
Kaplan: Similar to UWorld in terms of question difficulty. I rather enjoyed it and wish I could have completed more of it.

Stats:
Top 25-50% of class (assumption based on test averages first 2 years of school)
NBME 16: 200 (Taken 4/7, a little scared about that score but this was the first one and used as a base for Step prep, checked other forums and I believe overall correct was somewhere around 70-74% correct but don't quote me on that).
UWorld Form 1: 230 (Taken 3 weeks later, late April. Liked the questions and felt better about this exam. Had really started to get in a rhythm of studying at this point, knew what I knew and knew topics I didn't know).
Comsae D: 642 (Taken 2 weeks prior COMLEX, school mandated. Honestly felt as though this exam was fake because it felt almost too easy compared to the Uworld questions I had been doing).
NMBE 17: 215 (Taken 5/18, a little under 2 weeks out from Step 1, just glad to see improvement from previous NBME. Keep in mind NBME classically under-predicts and UWorld will over-predict or provide a closer assessment).
Comsae ASA101: 589 (Taken 3 days prior to my exam, wasn't excited to see this score but from what I had read in regards to the new scoring felt it was acceptable. Still would have felt more confident to have see something similar to Comsae D, especially so close to my exam).
Comsae 18/ UWorld Form 2: To be taken this week
Free 120: To be taken next weekend

COMLEX LEVEL 1: Taken 5/23.
USMLE STEP 1: Scheduled 6/3.

LEVEL 1 Thoughts: It's a beast. It is a very long and taxing exam I felt. I was losing ~5 minutes/block for the first two blocks to go back and recheck questions I had flagged. Unless you are a very fast test taker, rechecking questions and staying on time is very very difficult to do. I essentially stopped flagging to recheck after the 2nd block and only flagged in order to see how many questions I wasn't sure on at the end of each block. Many of the questions felt familiar but also vague, always leaving some feeling of uneasiness when moving on to the next one. There are no q-banks, practice exams, or the like which compare to this exam. The questions may feel familiar but will test you on your understanding of the process at hand, which many of these exams are meant to do. Now this isn't going to be every single question, but those will be the ones that you leave remembering. The user interface as stated in previous posts is sluggish, slow, and time will continue to run as the screen freezes if you scroll. I was scrolling at one point to view previous questions and lost somewhere around 8 seconds. To go from question 50 back to question 1 could take this long. In the afternoon this was really beginning to frustrate me so I stopped looking back. The videos aren't terribly long and you can read the questions stem as they play, or can stop the video when you know what they are showing, which I thought was a bonus. Going into this exam I felt good, had adequate sleep (surprisingly) and felt prepared. Leaving this exam, I felt like absolute trash, as in Dear Baby Jesus, I just hoped I passed at this point. There were maybe 5-10 questions that I can recall which I should have known stone cold and when I reviewed later that night had missed. I didn't feel that any one topic or subject was more difficult than the other, but you will run across a few questions that you may have never seen in your life, I know I did. But, many of them are actually workable to some extent, they just take time if you have it to spare. Answer confidently, exclude wrong answers and know why you've excluded it and just move on. Use your time for the more difficult questions, or for reviewing flags. I was hoping for somewhere north of 600 on this exam and I will keep you updated when scores are released.

STEP 1: Currently re-reviewing UWorld, another pass of pathoma and skimming FA. Exam in a little over a week.

Good luck to everyone going into LEVEL 1. Go in confident and don't be afraid or upset if you come out feeling terrible. Most people that have taken it that I have talked to and are in the top of the class have felt the same way.

Reactions: 5 users
Good luck to everyone going into LEVEL 1. Go in confident and don't be afraid or upset if you come out feeling terrible. Most people that have taken it that I have talked to and are in the top of the class have felt the same way.

Yeah I don't know ANYONE who has already taken it and come out saying they felt good about it.

Yeah I don't know ANYONE who has already taken it and come out saying they felt good about it.

Agreed, I know that feeling comes from remembering those questions which really tied you up but even still. I remembered taking Comsae D and Comsae ASA101, being able to review my flags (not changing answers really at all) and thinking that maybe I had missed 5-15 on any given block and being able to work out an average percentage and feeling confident. As I was going through this exam there was just so much uncertainty that there was no way to assess yourself like that. You just had to take what was given and do your best to work through the problem and come up with what you felt was a reasonable answer or resembled a reasonable answer. I've heard many people that have taken STEP though come out feeling a lot more certain about what they knew and what they didn't know. So maybe that's something to look forward to.

I've been reading and following this thread and last years so I just wanted to add my humble opinion. Also, to add some statistics similar to what many of the MD students with the Step 1 thread do each year and possibly shine a little light about my experience for the DO's embarking on this journey into the great dark abyss we know as Level 1.

Began questions with Combank back in January, finished around a week out from my exam with an overall average ~70%. (Started low in the 50's, gradually and quickly rose however into the 70's and 80's).
Uworld Average: 65% (Same pattern as Combank essentially in terms of scoring).
I also did some Kaplan questions and FA questions on my phone, never finished either of these banks but averages were ~60%.

FA: Did 1 full pass before dedicated period and then referred back to the text religiously while going through UWorld and annotating (as I'm sure most people are finding out, no FA does not contain EVERYTHING, but it does a very nice job providing a brief clinical picture or description).
Pathoma: I personally thought by far that this was the best source for Pathology. The first few chapters were incredibly helpful in regards to bringing everything together and having a relatively good understanding of the foundation of Pathological processes.
UWorld: I mean come on, we all know it's importance by this point.
Combank: Ehh, thought the OMM questions were helpful, but if I could do it over again I would have only used it for this portion.
Kaplan: Similar to UWorld in terms of question difficulty. I rather enjoyed it and wish I could have completed more of it.

Stats:
Top 25-50% of class (assumption based on test averages first 2 years of school)
NBME 16: 200 (Taken 4/7, a little scared about that score but this was the first one and used as a base for Step prep, checked other forums and I believe overall correct was somewhere around 70-74% correct but don't quote me on that).
UWorld Form 1: 230 (Taken 3 weeks later, late April. Liked the questions and felt better about this exam. Had really started to get in a rhythm of studying at this point, knew what I knew and knew topics I didn't know).
Comsae D: 642 (Taken 2 weeks prior COMLEX, school mandated. Honestly felt as though this exam was fake because it felt almost too easy compared to the Uworld questions I had been doing).
NMBE 17: 215 (Taken 5/18, a little under 2 weeks out from Step 1, just glad to see improvement from previous NBME. Keep in mind NBME classically under-predicts and UWorld will over-predict or provide a closer assessment).
Comsae ASA101: 589 (Taken 3 days prior to my exam, wasn't excited to see this score but from what I had read in regards to the new scoring felt it was acceptable. Still would have felt more confident to have see something similar to Comsae D, especially so close to my exam).
Comsae 18/ UWorld Form 2: To be taken this week
Free 120: To be taken next weekend

COMLEX LEVEL 1: Taken 5/23.
USMLE STEP 1: Scheduled 6/3.

LEVEL 1 Thoughts: It's a beast. It is a very long and taxing exam I felt. I was losing ~5 minutes/block for the first two blocks to go back and recheck questions I had flagged. Unless you are a very fast test taker, rechecking questions and staying on time is very very difficult to do. I essentially stopped flagging to recheck after the 2nd block and only flagged in order to see how many questions I wasn't sure on at the end of each block. Many of the questions felt familiar but also vague, always leaving some feeling of uneasiness when moving on to the next one. There are no q-banks, practice exams, or the like which compare to this exam. The questions may feel familiar but will test you on your understanding of the process at hand, which many of these exams are meant to do. Now this isn't going to be every single question, but those will be the ones that you leave remembering. The user interface as stated in previous posts is sluggish, slow, and time will continue to run as the screen freezes if you scroll. I was scrolling at one point to view previous questions and lost somewhere around 8 seconds. To go from question 50 back to question 1 could take this long. In the afternoon this was really beginning to frustrate me so I stopped looking back. The videos aren't terribly long and you can read the questions stem as they play, or can stop the video when you know what they are showing, which I thought was a bonus. Going into this exam I felt good, had adequate sleep (surprisingly) and felt prepared. Leaving this exam, I felt like absolute trash, as in Dear Baby Jesus, I just hoped I passed at this point. There were maybe 5-10 questions that I can recall which I should have known stone cold and when I reviewed later that night had missed. I didn't feel that any one topic or subject was more difficult than the other, but you will run across a few questions that you may have never seen in your life, I know I did. But, many of them are actually workable to some extent, they just take time if you have it to spare. Answer confidently, exclude wrong answers and know why you've excluded it and just move on. Use your time for the more difficult questions, or for reviewing flags. I was hoping for somewhere north of 600 on this exam and I will keep you updated when scores are released.

STEP 1: Currently re-reviewing UWorld, another pass of pathoma and skimming FA. Exam in a little over a week.

Thank you for your insight! Did u use Comquest at ?

Thank you for your insight! Did u use Comquest at ?
I did not, but friends of mine that completed UWorld earlier used it for the week prior and said that the question stem lengths were similar and that they felt that it helped them more than COMBANK. I saw and it and did a few questions and would agree that they were better than Combank but again I felt that the real deal was on a whole different level in terms of wording and what they were asking for or about.

Hey all just took COMLEX Level 1 yesterday. I think generally I did well, definitely got some wrong here and there on very minor picky things. Does anyone know how many you have to get right to get like a 520 or higher? I know it might be a stupid question, but just wondering. I hope to get a 550... lets see.

Hey all just took COMLEX Level 1 yesterday. I think generally I did well, definitely got some wrong here and there on very minor picky things. Does anyone know how many you have to get right to get like a 520 or higher? I know it might be a stupid question, but just wondering. I hope to get a 550... lets see.
What was your comsae score?

I did not, but friends of mine that completed UWorld earlier used it for the week prior and said that the question stem lengths were similar and that they felt that it helped them more than COMBANK. I saw and it and did a few questions and would agree that they were better than Combank but again I felt that the real deal was on a whole different level in terms of wording and what they were asking for or about.
Thank you!!

For those who recently have taken this lame exam.

Any advice for 3 days of studying prior to my exam? Mines on Friday and I just recently took Step. How should I be approaching these 3 days. I hate the greenbook and our school gives us a subscription for COMBANK. but that sucks too.

For those who recently have taken this lame exam.

Any advice for 3 days of studying prior to my exam? Mines on Friday and I just recently took Step. How should I be approaching these 3 days. I hate the greenbook and our school gives us a subscription for COMBANK. but that sucks too.
Micro, Pharm, and the most randomest OPP and Path stuff. They were Very very picky on the Pharm, literally to the third order level. No joke. I would brush up on pharm. Micro was very HY but pretty straight forward. Also def. look over path and phys.

Micro, Pharm, and the most randomest OPP and Path stuff. They were Very very picky on the Pharm, literally to the third order level. No joke. I would brush up on pharm. Micro was very HY but pretty straight forward. Also def. look over path and phys.

Lovely. I was planning on keeping up with my pharm and micro reviews, but I might as well keep up with my path reviews these next few days. And study opp stuff that is guarenteed to show up like fibular head, ribs, radial head, etc etc

One other question... How was the biochemistry? On our schools comsae last month there was barely any biochem on that thing. And the other comsaes I've taken had close to zero true biochem questions. It seems like it's just heavy micro pharm, with path and then a lot of biostats/epi and weird legal questions

One other question... How was the biochemistry? On our schools comsae last month there was barely any biochem on that thing. And the other comsaes I've taken had close to zero true biochem questions. It seems like it's just heavy micro pharm, with path and then a lot of biostats/epi and weird legal questions
Well I would say it was def. HY, not as HY as micro or pharm but it was there. It was very well integrated with Heme Onc RBC.