USMLE Official 2019 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets get this started.
M2. Mid Tier everything.
Entertaining some surgical sub-specialties.

Goal 270
Happy with 245

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
You can add screenshots of sketchy into your Firecracker cards. For example, highlight "E. coli" in one of the answer explanations. Click Add Note. Paste the sketchy picture in the notes. That way, whenever an answer comes up with the word "E. coli" in it you will see the sketchy image off to the side!

This is genius, definitely doing this! Thank you!!

My plan so far is to
1. ZANKI
2. Sketchy Micro
3.Pathoma
4. Goljan audio in down time( He is enjoyable to listen to )
5. First aid for referance
6. U world 100%
7. RX what ever I can get done before dedicated
8. Kaplan q bank - what ever I can get done before dedicated
9. ALL the NBMEs in stimulated exams.

Ambitious, but we will see how If i can get it done in 10 months. The real problem is my schools corriculum which is the old normal abnormal so we have seen zero path so far, so its kinda pointless to grind out the qbanks right now. And this is the problem I have been having in organizing a schedule.

Non-US IMG here, just graduated. I'm starting my prep in a month from now. Minimum prep duration is going to be around 9 months, so I 'll be taking the test no earlier than May. Let's just hope I don't bump into right into the time that they change their questions. All these weeks my mind was with everyone who had to wait more than a month to get their results back.

Basic plan is as follows :
1) Do Kaplan for most subjects + Pathoma, while annotating into FA. This should take around 12 weeks. It's an essential step though, since I have a lot of knowledge gaps in basic sciences plus our curriculum during med school had nothing to do with USMLE.
2) USMLERx QBank - 2 blocks/day
3) Second pass of FA ---> NBME 13 right after
4) Kaplan Qbank - 2,5 blocks/day ---> NBME 14 right after
5) UWorld - 1,5 block/day
6) NBME 15 --> UWSA1 --> NBME 16 --> NBME 17 --> NBME 19 --> Free 120 --> NBME 18 --> UWSA2
7) Sit the goddamn test.

I 've got at least a couple of research opportunities going on right now, that would lead to some publications and I wouldn't even have to leave my home while working on them. So I 've set no serious deadlines, I just want to finish all of the resources above in that order, no matter if it takes one or two months more than I had planned.

Hoping to match into IM. USCE is out of the question unfortunately, I' ll be going to the match with an observership at best. It all comes down to step scores now and I'm trying to score as high as I can. 250+ is my minimum target.

I am glad to join you all in this journey!

260 or bust, for the boys!

Already 13k Zanki cards matured at this point...

Tentative pre-dedicated plan:
Mature the rest of zanki alongside classwork topics
Finish USMLE RX and Kaplan qbanks, untimed, also in parallel with classwork (make own Anki cards for topics I'm weak on)

Tentative dedicated plan:
Do all of UWorld in timed random full blocks to build stamina (making cards for weak areas afterward)
Practice NMBE/UWSA for more stamina building
Consume lots of caffeine
Crush

Get cozy, because it's going to be a long year.

Goals:

1. Dark, dark, dark green Zanki deck
2. 1x USMLErx, 1x Kaplan, 2.5x UWorld
3. Recite Goljan audio

Completed so far:

All Zanki new cards
Pathoma 1x (first 3 chapters 3-4x), going to review only trouble areas
Sketchy micro 2x, pharm, path
30%~ USMLErx

Test scores are a social construct, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't play the game. Winning the game is a much better way to show un-woke humans how flawed the game truly is. So lets just win the damn game. A word of motivation:

There is a storm coming, and it's coming for all of us. Now you have two options: You can choose to hide from the storm, or you can choose to dance in the rain. Your mind is a living entity. It is a beast that you are carrying, feeding, and nurturing. What you feed your mind matters, now more than ever, because when that storm comes, your mind will be the one carrying you. You have to make your mind strong, and raise it with compassion, empathy and love from those that are behind you and those ahead of you. You have to safeguard it from the negativity in the cess pool of an environment that is medschool. You can do it, and you will.

Can't believe this thread already exists.

I'm at a Mid-tier US MD school
Hoping for a surgical subspecialty, so anything >250 would be awesome

-Matured about 10k Zanki cards so far (pretty much all 1st year material)
-Planning do to pathoma/sketchy + zanki + RX/Kaplan during the year, only going to be skimming lectures for any minutiae that might be on the class exams, thinking about incorporating Goljan RR or Medium Robbins as well to solidify the path even more, but not sure if I'll have time for this
-Uworld + zanki reviews during dedicated
-planning to sit the exam early May, since our rotations start in early June.

2ef96g.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)

:rofl:Perfect gif

Actually though, you guys are all motivating me to work harder/aim higher :)

Also, I recognize a bunch of the users here from when we were all applying/interviewing for med school in the pre-allo threads, nice to see us back together again LOL

Reactions: 3 users
What do you guys think a good target score for a CBSE before 5 weeks dedicated if you have been studying most of the year and hope for >250?

235? Is a 15 point improvement during dedicated typical?

I am asking so that I can have a goal for next spring.

Reactions: 1 user
What do you guys think a good target score for a CBSE before 5 weeks dedicated if you have been studying most of the year and hope for >250?

From what ive seen on the 2018 thread anythingg 230+ would be great for that goal.

Some people make big leaps during dedicated, others stick close to their baseline score. But id put my money on 250+ with a 230 baseline

I think a 10-15 point is reasonable once you get to the higher scores. My score went up 13 points. The average for my school as a whole went from like 204 on CBSE to 242 on step 1. So obviously the higher you start out, the less you can expect to gain during dedicated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel old knowing there are most likely people in this thread who don’t instantly recognize this...

Dont feel old just yet, im probably near the youngest side of the spectrum in this thread pending theres no boy/girl geniuses/ BS/MD peeps and i can and frequently do belt out every single word of this song lol

Inb4 some says they finished Lightyear's deck... even though it's been out for only 1 month :laugh:

Can't believe this thread already exists.

I'm at a Mid-tier US MD school
Hoping for a surgical subspecialty, so anything >250 would be awesome

-Matured about 10k Zanki cards so far (pretty much all 1st year material)
-Planning do to pathoma/sketchy + zanki + RX/Kaplan during the year, only going to be skimming lectures for any minutiae that might be on the class exams, thinking about incorporating Goljan RR or Medium Robbins as well to solidify the path even more, but not sure if I'll have time for this
-Uworld + zanki reviews during dedicated
-planning to sit the exam early May, since our rotations start in early June.

I have the same Zanki progress, same game plan of Zanki+RX/Kaplan during year and UWorld during dedicated.

Gotta join this brotherhood too! Top 10 MD school, plastics has been the dream since day 1, looking for 255+ to overcome my sub-par personality.

12k Zanki matured, doing reviews + trying to complete sketchy pharm over the summer along with research. I couldn't quite commit to the full @Foot Fetish and finish all of Zanki over the summer. I tried at the beginning of the summer but started to burn out. Instead I'm studying maybe 2-3 hours a day but making a lot of time for family/friends/fitness.

Going to do Rx alongside classes.

Have already done about 300 Rx questions, random, tutor mode. Averaged like a 65%, which is fine I think. A surprising number of cards can actually be deduced from a strong understanding of basic physiology. I think doing these was helpful to see how questions were structured so that I know why I'm studying what I'm studying, and what I really need to learn from all my anki cards (common presentations and small distinguishing factors between related pathologies seem like the most important things). I'm not doing any more currently as I didn't feel like I was improving (knowledge gaps not application gaps), gonna save the rest for the year.

I would definitely recommend doing 150-200 questions in some Qbank if y'all already have access though. It helps remind you what we're studying for and has kept me more grounded when I'm doing reviews so I don't mindlessly buzz my way through. Also getting used to 3rd and 4th order questions helped me build mental connections between cards to form a more cohesive mental picture.

Reactions: 8 users
Gotta join this brotherhood too! Top 10 MD school, plastics has been the dream since day 1, looking for 255+ to overcome my sub-par personality.

I would definitely recommend doing 150-200 questions in some Qbank if y'all already have access though. It helps remind you what we're studying for and has kept me more grounded when I'm doing reviews so I don't mindlessly buzz my way through. Also getting used to 3rd and 4th order questions helped me build mental connections between cards to form a more cohesive mental picture.

I haven't bought a Qbank yet since I know my school's student gov usually try to do a groupwide discount for them at the beginning of M2. Would you recommend doing other practice questions like stuff from Lippincott or Robbins review questions?

I haven't bought a Qbank yet since I know my school's student gov usually try to do a groupwide discount for them at the beginning of M2. Would you recommend doing other practice questions like stuff from Lippincott or Robbins review questions?

Hmmm I'm not sure. Haven't looked at those. I just know that my school did a very poor job creating step 1 style questions, using a patient presentation, labs, multiple order reasoning, etc, and it was really helpful to see questions in that style. If Robbins or Lippincott is that kind of question i could see it being helpful, but if they're just basic recall, first order, I don't think it would help much beyond anki.

At a med school
Would like to keep all doors open, but setting my goal at 245 with a 240 minimum.
Matured like 3000 zanki cards, but only have seen 11000 of them. My total deck is 30,000 cards with addons, and I have no clue how I can finish before April. It's been so hard for me to keep up with zanki because my school has mandatory attendance, and I really would like to be AOA. Doing zanki alone has not let me achieve the grades I wanted in class, but when I start studying for school specific things, I can't keep up with zanki. My plan is to just be at school at 5 am and study until 8 am with zanki alone then do other things after. I've noticed my curriculum is very "low yield" as it doesn't match much with zanki or first aid and often has a load of PHD information.

Would also like to note that I have a family, so it's really hard to study the whole time after school (can maybe dedicate 1 more hour to zanki after school or in chunks while eating lunch or walking to class or driving).

Does anyone have advice for me? I would like zanki and its addons to get me around a 205-215 baseline and then a 6 week dedicated using UWORLD and hitting weaknesses to carry me to a 240-250. Is this possible? I plan on using my 20-30 day winter break to knock out a lot of the zanki news and really learn all of it.

On another note, does anyone know how to make the best use of time? Obviously stay off reddit, facebook, SDN, etc. I've tried to get cards done at any moments down time but still have trouble keeping up with everything. And carding during lecture is difficult because professors test off what they say not on the slides, and it's hard to focus as well.

Reactions: 1 users
For those using cards and qbanks throughout M2, what are y'alls question/cards per day goals?

From now till December:

I'm thinking 150-200 cards/day (new cards if i fully switch to zanki, kinda bouncing between the two atm)

Then i think 15qs/day is what im hoping for, it feels like a hefty goal IMO, as I take a long time to review answers with Rx since I like to read the associated FA pages.

Still plan on focusing most of my time on classwork at the moment, while still supplementing with sketchy, pathoma, and B&B.

For those using cards and qbanks throughout M2, what are y'alls question/cards per day goals?

From now till December:

I'm thinking 150-200 cards/day (new cards if i fully switch to zanki, kinda bouncing between the two atm)

Then i think 15qs/day is what im hoping for, it feels like a hefty goal IMO, as I take a long time to review answers with Rx since I like to read the associated FA pages.

Still plan on focusing most of my time on classwork at the moment, while still supplementing with sketchy, pathoma, and B&B.

I plan on doing 120-150 new cards a day, all reviews, and then however many Rx questions a week to finish it by December whatever that may be. The nice thing is that I do Anki with class so me doing the system cards for class will also double as my board prep, and then I’ll probably just do like 20 new a day of like Biochem or something.

I plan on doing 120-150 new cards a day, all reviews, and then however many Rx questions a week to finish it by December whatever that may be. The nice thing is that I do Anki with class so me doing the system cards for class will also double as my board prep, and then I’ll probably just do like 20 new a day of like Biochem or something.

just started zanki, currently starting with the biochem deck and a few others here and there RIP to me for how much i forgot from basic sciences

I'm not sure if it was this thread or somewhere else but I think i saw you talking about a setting you made in zanki to cram decks before exams, any chance you could shoot me those settings via PM or on here?

Damn, so I'm probably the only SDN member that still uses Firecracker since you dropped it.

Zanki should be a breeze compared to what you're used to!

I wasnt strong enough :boom:lol, my downfall was my friend convincing me to give zanki a try. After that...so much less frustration lol.

I was also at a point were i was half a$$ing it and sat myself down and thought alright ive either gotta go all in or all out.

I did both for a little over a week at the end of this semester, by the end of the week i found myself gravitating towards zanki.

It makes sense, its easier and less frustrating (more cards correct) because its just simple one word cloze deletions most of the time. While FC was open ended paragraph long questions and answers. Which i think benifitted me more knowledge and understanding wise, but in the end i had to go with the one i knew i would actually do everyday because otherwise theres no point lol.

Im still planning on using the FC database/flag as i go though!

Im having some motivation issues for cards. Some days I will slam 2k cards and other days I can't do more than 100. Any ideas on how to become more consistent. Sometimes it's difficult matching our corriculum with the cards so it becomes a game of catching up on class stuff. Exams every 10 days is not helping either.

How exactly are you all approaching zanki? I find it to be overwhelming. Are you guys going Deck by deck or what?

Im having some motivation issues for cards. Some days I will slam 2k cards and other days I can't do more than 100. Any ideas on how to become more consistent. Sometimes it's difficult matching our corriculum with the cards so it becomes a game of catching up on class stuff. Exams every 10 days is not helping either.
Agreed, I see myself getting behind, and forgetting cards I once knew is extremely demoralizing. I can't give much advice other than to say you're not alone. It's especially frustrating when you're learning something from a PHD's research that you know is low yield, but you can't do anything about it but learn it because you need to do well on class exams.

Reactions: 3 users

Replace motivation with discipline. I just make sure I get all my cards done every day, no exceptions. Do it for a week straight and it will start to feel normal. Do it for a month and it will feel weird that you ever worked differently. I've literally come back from late nights out, realized I still had 300 cards left, and done them drunk off my ass. Maybe that's not the best way to learn those specific cards, but the long term benefit of consistency outweighs the short term advantage of optimal studying.

Also, with how Anki works, it rewards consistent effort. Slamming 2k cards in a day means you're going to have a lot of extra reviews the next day, which demotivates you. Doing the same amount every day means you basically know what the next day is going to hold.

I just posted this write up over on the 2018 thread, but figured you all may get some use out of it since you are just starting. Good luck!

REAL DEAL on July 20: 250s (1 point higher than UWSA2)

It’s awesome to FINALLY get to write up my LONG Step 1 experience (and I would rather do this than study for psychiatry shelf). My goal score was 250.

For anyone who saw my posts last year, I am a D.O. student who took COMLEX 1 last year in July (mid 600s), but ended up canceling my STEP 1 due to…well…being a little… nevermind. Anyways, this write up will cover what I did last year (COMLEX) and then mostly this year (STEP)

Last year, I planned on taking both exams within a week of each other. I used some USMLERx questions (about half) during school and then completed UWorld before taking my COMLEX 1.

Practice tests: I don’t remember the exact dates, but I remember taking a test about every week leading up to the exam with NBME 18 two days before.

NBME 16: 236

NBME 17: 240

UWSA 1: 258

NBME 19: 245

UWSA 2: between 240-245 (can’t remember)

NBME 18: 236

USMLERx: completed 50% at a score in low 70’s.

UW: completed at 77% average. Started around 68%, ended in the 80s nearly every block.

After seeing my scores increase every week, I was feeling good till I scored 236 on NBME 18. It freaked me out and I decided to cancel Step 1 knowing that I had an entire Kaplan and USMLERx qbank to complete. I felt like I would be leaving points on the table. I took COMLEX and scored mid 600s last year.

After COMLEX last year, I had a unique opportunity to take a year to complete a research/teaching fellowship at my school in between 2nd/3rd year, so I was able to start studying for Step 1 little by little starting in late February 2018.

My Qbank/practice exam scores in the order I took them:

USMLERx (only med/hard questions): ~80%

Kaplan: ~78%

UW (again): ~86% (all scores for the entire bank were between 80-95%)

UWSA2: 251 (three days before)

Free 150 (85%)—I took this at the testing center two days before and HIGHLY suggest it. It made the actual test day feel so much smoother and I even took the real exam at the same computer.

Since I had already wasted all my NBME exams from last year, I only took UWSA2 this time around.

I really think it’s imperative to do AT LEAST two full Qbanks. IMO, if you are going to choose two, I would do RX and UW. I completed Kaplan as well, but I felt like it had so many questions on details that were a little too far in the weeds and I was forgetting basic things because I was so focused on details that would never be tested on (IMO). I do think Kaplan is a good bank to do, but it I could go back, I would do Kaplan first, then Rx, then UW (RX questions are actually really good now and they grill you on First Aid stuff). The reason I think you need to do at least two banks is because they each ask questions from a slightly different perspective. They can be the same concept, but when you see it asked a certain way in different banks, it is more likely to stick. Plus, repetition.

For content review, I used Boards and Beyond and swear by it. I know everyone on here says to read First Aid 10x and memorize it, but I really don’t think that’s the best use of your time and you absolutely don’t need to memorize FA to do well. FA is made up of facts (which is important), but you need to be able to tie these things together for boards. That’s where Boards and Beyond was irreplaceable for me. There are 120 hours of videos and I watched each video at least 2x (between this year and last), and then watched trouble areas (biochem/stats/ethics) 3-4x each. This is a much better use of your time (IMO) because Dr. Ryan ties all the info together and shows you why it’s clinically relevant, which is how you are going to be tested. For example, for biochemistry he explains the pathways, but then integrates diseases, drugs and presentation so you get a snapshot of everything you need to know about a certain concept. I never directly read First Aid. Not even a page. I would reference FA when watching B and B to make sure I was covering everything though.

I also used Sketchy pharm/micro during the school year and memorized them, so I didn’t really have to re-watch any of them during dedicated (except some of the pharm). Sketchypharm is absolute MONEY. I would have never been able to straight memorize all those drugs.

Pathoma I used during school as well, but didn’t touch during dedicated (I used Boards and Beyond).

For select concepts (lysosomal storage, glycogen storage, certain cancers, genetic diseases) I loved Picmonic. Definitely hard to remember some of the pictures, but these were money for some hard-to-remember concepts.

Test day:

Block 1 felt super easy to me and then every block got tougher and tougher. The 3/4th blocks I felt like I guessed on like 30% of the questions and marked probably 15 questions. Blocks 5/6 were intermediate difficulty and then 7 was really tough. Didn’t have much trouble with timing.

After leaving, I felt like I could have scored anywhere from 220-245, but had no idea. Really didn’t feel great. I have always told people they are going to feel like crap after, but then it’s really hard to take my own medicine, especially when you start counting up questions you got wrong.

It feels so good to be done with this thing and I am glad the decision to postpone a year paid off. Good luck to the next group of test takers and thank you so much for all the help over the last two years y'all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I just posted this write up over on the 2018 thread, but figured you all may get some use out of it since you are just starting. Good luck!

REAL DEAL on July 20: 252 (1 point higher than UWSA2)

DUDE!!! That's boss!! Congrats man, looks like that research year really paid off!

Question for you all. If I had a clear weakness from first year. Should I dedicate some time each week to go back and review it specifically? For example, I was generally H/ HP student but barely got through microbiology. I still struggle when I see those questions or when I got pimped on them over the summer.

Question for you all. If I had a clear weakness from first year. Should I dedicate some time each week to go back and review it specifically? For example, I was generally H/ HP student but barely got through microbiology. I still struggle when I see those questions or when I got pimped on them over the summer.

Im weak on pharm so im planning on watching a handful of sketchy pharm vids a day with the associated anki decks. You could try to just tag on a couple sketchy micro vids each day onto your normal schedule and try and get a few passes to engrain them into your brain if youre a sketchy fan. If you are im also gonna suggest the sketchy books on etsy to fill out along side

Im weak on pharm so im planning on watching a handful of sketchy pharm vids a day with the associated anki decks. You could try to just tag on a couple sketchy micro vids each day onto your normal schedule and try and get a few passes to engrain them into your brain if youre a sketchy fan. If you are im also gonna suggest the sketchy books on etsy to fill out along side
biochem is my weakness. Sketchy pharm doesnt work for me for some reason, micro is awesome .

Ah. Thanks. I think watching the sketchy vids and doing the associated cards would be a good way to deal with it.

Man, there's a lot of familiar faces on this thread! Hope everyone's M2 year is going well so far.

Tentative exam date: late May or early June 2019
MD, finished M1 with >92% average for all of my classes
Goal score: >255. The PD of my dream program told me that they have a cutoff at 240, so I guess that's the bottom line that I'm working with.
I haven't done any pre-studying over the summer, so it seems like I'm behind most people on sdn. Oh well!

Tentative study plan: B&B, Zanki, Pathoma, Uworld
I plan on starting Zanki around labor day, and hopefully finish going through all the cards by early Jan.
I'm already using B&B and Pathoma to study for classes.
Should I skip FA if I'm already using B&B and Zanki? I figured there's a lot of overlap between the 3 resources

That's quite ambitious. Are you planning on learning the pathology for the rest of the systems in the 2nd semester of M2 prior to taking the finishing those blocks? Also, are you planning on getting a runthrough of all the Zanki cards by January, or maturing them all?

I like writing down extra stuff down on FA and using it as a resource to look stuff up just in case I forgot it. I don't think I'm planning on reading through all of it multiple times as I believe in doing a lot of practice questions. Since I've been already using Zanki + USMLE-Rx Qbank, IMO, I feel it would be a waste of time to do multiple passes through FA when you could be doing more practice questions and learning + reinforcing the pre-clinical material. That's just my 2 cents.

That's quite ambitious. Are you planning on learning the pathology for the rest of the systems in the 2nd semester of M2 prior to taking the finishing those blocks? Also, are you planning on getting a runthrough of all the Zanki cards by January, or maturing them all?

I like writing down extra stuff down on FA and using it as a resource to look stuff up just in case I forgot it. I don't think I'm planning on reading through all of it multiple times as I believe in doing a lot of practice questions. Since I've been already using Zanki + USMLE-Rx Qbank, IMO, I feel it would be a waste of time to do multiple passes through FA when you could be doing more practice questions and learning + reinforcing the pre-clinical material. That's just my 2 cents.

IMO, reading FA like a normal book is a complete waste of time. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 6 users
Just finished week 3 of dedicated. As an IMG you can call your 9 month prep as dedicated prep from day 1 :banana: I 've kept Sundays as days off so I don't burn out. But there were still some hours I didn't know how to kill today. So I decided to solve a couple of blocks from Pastest related to what I 've studied so far. After all it's free for like a few more days or so. I 've already programmed Rx, Kaplan and UW for much later into my prep, but I'm seriously considering getting the 3-month Pastest subscription for $55 and casually solve some blocks on Sundays. It's obviously no competition to UW or the other ones, but there are a few hidden pearls in there that I think those with enough time (and a high gunner-o-meter reading) can benefit from.

Also am I the only here who thinks B&B pathology is superior to pathoma? Imo B&B goes to much more depth.

No I hold the same opinion. I only use pathoma because I think it’s a good overview for my class pathology that I run through really quick to get a feel for the material before going into the deeper resources. BnB is definitely more of a primary learning source.

can I get the feel for the number of anki reviews everyone is churning out this point in the game? Ive been averaging around 1k a day mostly on cards pertaining to the unit. Im wondering if I need to step it up. My thinking is by the time step rolls around i would have done 300k reviews.

Last edited:
can I get the feel for the number of anki reviews everyone is churning out this point in the game? Ive been averaging around 1k a day mostly on cards pertaining to the unit. Im wondering if I need to step it out. My thinking is by the time step rolls around i would have done 300k reviews.

Wow that’s a lot! I’ve been doing around 200 but I also only started anki for M2. I’m not part of the anki faithful core.