USMLE Official 2019 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets get this started.
M2. Mid Tier everything.
Entertaining some surgical sub-specialties.

Goal 270
Happy with 245

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
Oh my. Had the absolute craziest test day experience. Exam got cancelled the morning of on Friday, and I had to take it today in a completely different city about 4 hours away. It was a nightmare. I wouldn't wish this experience for anyone.

I personally thought the exam was tough. It was on par with UW in my opinion. Long stems, tricky experiments, and some wtf questions. I'll be lucky with a 220 even. That test was hard.

I would channel my inner Chad and punch a wall

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Ah i started out in the high 60s low 70s, just been going up 3-5% per week (was doing 80q/day early on now up to 120) and i just make anki cards of what i get wrong at this point and do a bit of tutor subject specific kaplan. Early on though i did really thorough review of subjects i was getting wrong almost as if it was my first pass. I basically did the entire zanki biochem deck and cardio path deck through at that time because i wanted to turn those sections into strengths. didn't really work out but at least im not below 50% on those subjects lol

im jealous of all the people who can redo incorrects; ill be lucky if i finish my first pass before the exam and regret saving UW for 4.5 weeks of dedicated. im hoping i can cram all my incorrects in anatomy and biochem and cardio the few days before
So you don't make a card out of all the information in answer choices you don't know cold? That's what's really effing up my schedule right now

Reactions: 1 user
I would channel my inner Chad and punch a wall

I wish. It was an absolute clusterf*ck. Had us waiting from 7 am till around 10:30ish before they officially cancelled the exams. Then we had to figure out where we can take it. Just a miserable experience.

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
I wish. It was an absolute clusterf*ck. Had us waiting from 7 am till around 10:30ish before they officially cancelled the exams. Then we had to figure out where we can take it. Just a miserable experience.

Did you take it the following day or same day? What an absolute nightmare, I am so sorry that happened. Definitely rooting for you and hope you get some good news in a couple weeks!

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody happen to know some ballpark % correct to score for NBME 23? Trying to figure out what I got if I didn’t change a chunk of answers haha

So you don't make a card out of all the information in answer choices you don't know cold? That's what's really effing up my schedule right now

This is my struggle as well. It feels right to me to make cards for every nuance I didn't know, but maybe this is unlikely to affect your UW % in a major way. A lot of details are only directly tested once or twice in the entire QBank, it seems. I keep getting something wrong, making a pile of cards, and then never seeing the benefit of that new knowledge.

If you are trying to get from 50 -> 70% correct, these are probably not the things you want to focus on. There is too much low hanging fruit still on the table. But if trying to get from 80->90+, maybe they are important?

Did you take it the following day or same day? What an absolute nightmare, I am so sorry that happened. Definitely rooting for you and hope you get some good news in a couple weeks!

Yeah after a few hours of phone calls with Prometric corporate people, we were able to get spots at a testing site 4+ hours away, for the very next day. So once we had that we immediately drove out there, got a hotel, and tried to reset it and try again. It was bad. But I appreciate it man. It's over now and crossing my fingers that was the universe helping us out

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 5 users
So my scores have been stagnant pretty much my whole dedicated period. I’m 10 days out and don’t really know what to do. My goal is a 230, but I’d be pretty happy with anything above 220.

Uwsa1 (3 weeks before dedicated)-184
CBSE(start of dedicated)-207
Nbme 20 (2 weeks in)- 194
Nbme 22 (3 weeks in)-209
Nbme 21 (4 weeks in)- 213
Nbme 18 (5 weeks in)-209
Free 120-??
Uwsa2-??

I spoke to someone in a similar position last year and he said that he was allowed to delay his test 7 days but had to start rotations in Sept instead of July. I honestly had no intentions of delaying until he mentioned it, but I’m not sure if the extra week could help or hurt me. I really just wanna be done At this point but now I’m forced to consider delaying. I plan on taking free 120 day after tomorrow at the center and uwsa2 two days after that. So what would you all do in my position? Also any tips to maximize my score at this point (still have about 600 UW questions on 2nd pass and)? It seems like throughout the practice tests I take, my bars fluctuate(weaknesses move to the right, and strengths move to the left)

This is my struggle as well. It feels right to me to make cards for every nuance I didn't know, but maybe this is unlikely to affect your UW % in a major way. A lot of details are only directly tested once or twice in the entire QBank, it seems. I keep getting something wrong, making a pile of cards, and then never seeing the benefit of that new knowledge.

If you are trying to get from 50 -> 70% correct, these are probably not the things you want to focus on. There is too much low hanging fruit still on the table. But if trying to get from 80->90+, maybe they are important?
Ive taken four blocks only so far bc how long my reviews and going over each question takes. Tiny sample size but scores at 67,72,70,80 so right between your ranges haha. Issue is I think I have to card more instead of incorrects because I need the anki algorithm to keep the info in my head instead of "peaking" like a traditional dedicated since I don't have full days off pretty much except weekends. I get what you're saying on tested once and most say one fact per q, but the problem is I've also read ppl saying the one fact sometimes does appear on the test. My goal score now that I've worked for a bit is 245-250 as a dream so it's between low hanging fruit and super specific and coupled with the lack of dedicated it's hard to find the best approach. Wish I could just have a four five week dedicated and drop zanki but the few people who don't have long dedicated or do well studying half days were those who seemed to keep up with zanki. I've got time on my side just scared to death of knowledge decay

How often should one do nbmes? Once weekly? As a zankier it feels like I don't have a huge weakness, just losing tiny pieces here and there so not sure how to hit weaknesses. Maybe after more uworld blocks will tell me. Do you just read the first aid section and reset cards? that's what I've been doing

Members don't see this ad :)
How often should one do nbmes? Once weekly? As a zankier it feels like I don't have a huge weakness, just losing tiny pieces here and there so not sure how to hit weaknesses. Maybe after more uworld blocks will tell me. Do you just read the first aid section and reset cards? that's what I've been doing

Mixing it up between untimed tutor + Anki all day erryday, is my approach so far. Feels like the most efficient way to learn.

I'm not convinced of the value of doing timed practice tests so far in advance, like most people do? I guess it's nice to track your progress over time and adjust if what you're doing isn't working. But especially where the NBME's don't even give you explanations... feels like a waste of a day kinda, to me.

I'm planning to do UWSA1 once I'm like 50% through UW, and save most of my timed practice for the last 2ish weeks leading up to test day. Currently 23% through at 82% correct, and it feels like I still have so much to learn from every question.

Odds on whether this bites me in the ***?

Reactions: 6 users
Mixing it up between untimed tutor + Anki all day erryday, is my approach so far. Feels like the most efficient way to learn.

I'm not convinced of the value of doing timed practice tests so far in advance, like most people do? I guess it's nice to track your progress over time and adjust if what you're doing isn't working. But especially where the NBME's don't even give you explanations... feels like a waste of a day kinda, to me.

I'm planning to do UWSA1 once I'm like 50% through UW, and save most of my timed practice for the last 2ish weeks leading up to test day. Currently 23% through at 82% correct, and it feels like I still have so much to learn from every question.

Odds on whether this bites me in the ***?
Damn what a stud. And ya same I feel like if you're at 55% you would take 3+ hrs a block to review but seems like doesn't matter the % but more the personality when approaching the review. I'll see if I do nbme 15 this week then might do it farther in the future. Thanks for the advice

Took my first nbme today

Nbme 23: 236

Not sure how to feel about this at all. Felt like I was just trying to survive the whole time. I hope these underpredict like everyone says.

My stats score was off the charts! Just the wrong direction. All the way down lol. It’s nice that it gives you an asterisk to let you know your score is so low they can’t measure it. Satisfied with my performance otherwise I guess.

Quick question: nbme is 50/block. I thought USMLE was 40/block. Is this not the case?

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Took my first nbme today

Nbme 23: 236

Not sure how to feel about this at all. Felt like I was just trying to survive the whole time. I hope these underpredict like everyone says.

My stats score was off the charts! Just the wrong direction. All the way down lol. It’s nice that it gives you an asterisk to let you know your score is so low they can’t measure it. Satisfied with my performance otherwise I guess.

Quick question: nbme is 50/block. I thought USMLE was 40/block. Is this not the case?
Congrats!!! and yes that is correct, just another reason why NBMEs are trash products lol idk why they couldnt just do 5 blocks of 40 but w/e theyre getting my money regardless so they dont care

I feel this, after a while i stopped making cards for the ridiculously obscure facts because 95%+ of the time (at-least with UW questions) knowing every little detail isnt necessary to come to the answer. I dont doubt that knowing them will make coming to an answer that much quicker/easier, but i just feel like I'm wasting time attempting to memorize the tiny details when I still have some glaring big picture deficits. But I'm also perfectly happy never having an average of 90%+ on UW so YMMV.

I've been keeping up w/ Zanki/Sketchy bugs/drugs/biochem & reviewing pathology as needed for the past few days or so so I can spend more time in content review & less time hitting the spacebar/day. My reviews are piling up further than they ever have but I think getting a really solid review of material from B&B/Pathoma/UWorld or whatever is more important at this point.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, none of my NBME %iles were below the gray bar but I'm not scoring high enough overall. I think Anki does a great job for that baseline (& exceptionally well in pharm/micro.. anytime a pharm question pops up I get confident AF) but I think you kind of need to get away from it & start hitting other resources heavily to really push your score.

That's my theory anyways. What do I know, I haven't had a score I've been happy with on my NBMEs yet so maybe I'm completely wrong who knows lol. Just brainstorming with you.

Reactions: 3 users
For those that have taken it already...I have heard it’s in the middle of NBMEs and UW in terms of question stems and vagueness, but are there a bunch of WTF questions outta left field?

I feel okay on the larger and middle facts, but the little ones are escaping me and I don’t wanna bust my ass on things that don’t matter

I've been keeping up w/ Zanki/Sketchy bugs/drugs/biochem & reviewing pathology as needed for the past few days or so so I can spend more time in content review & less time hitting the spacebar/day. My reviews are piling up further than they ever have but I think getting a really solid review of material from B&B/Pathoma/UWorld or whatever is more important at this point.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, none of my NBME %iles were below the gray bar but I'm not scoring high enough overall. I think Anki does a great job for that baseline (& exceptionally well in pharm/micro.. anytime a pharm question pops up I get confident AF) but I think you kind of need to get away from it & start hitting other resources heavily to really push your score.

That's my theory anyways. What do I know, I haven't had a score I've been happy with on my NBMEs yet so maybe I'm completely wrong who knows lol. Just brainstorming with you.
Definitely agree and am taking time for uworld. In regards to b and b I used to use it but sometimes I felt it was passive or just repeating the slides/fa. May pick it up again. I recall watching and rewatching the cardio embryology and still not getting it lol. For pathoma I took notes/carded some stuff he said so not sure if I'll relisten. My plans to maybe do the organ/subject I suck at with my leftover Kaplan Q's in a few months if I'm still weak in areas but not sure either.

I feel this, after a while i stopped making cards for the ridiculously obscure facts because 95%+ of the time (at-least with UW questions) knowing every little detail isnt necessary to come to the answer. I dont doubt that knowing them will make coming to an answer that much quicker/easier, but i just feel like I'm wasting time attempting to memorize the tiny details when I still have some glaring big picture deficits. But I'm also perfectly happy never having an average of 90%+ on UW so YMMV.
I feel like they won't be directly needed, but a part of me feels like being able to cross that one extra choice out or being 1 fact more sure of your answer can be a big difference, but not finishing uworld or discovering a weakness in a big picture area is much worse so I'm still unsure too

I'd agree with that Zanki statement. The major problem is that Zanki doesn't integrate things as it is just flashcards. Got owned on NBME 21 today and 2 weeks out. Prayin' for a 230+ at this point.

100%, I think this was the biggest paradigm shift for me... I've been keeping up with all Zanki reviews every single day for the past 2 years, but the opportunity cost is just too high once you hit dedicated. I think at some point it becomes correct to massively cut down on your Zanki reviews.

If you spend 5 hours looking at cards, and 90% of those cards you know the answers... you essentially just wasted 4.5 hours on things you already knew, and spent only 30 minutes productively.

About a week before dedicated I cut down to 100 reviews/day for cards with interval >30, and have been keeping with all reviews on shorter interval cards. Only ragret is that I didn't do this maybe 2 weeks earlier. Really pleased with how it's turned out and think this practice should be more widespread among the Zanki faithful.

The effect is that I get a chance to really hammer in the new details from cards I make on UW, and am still getting blasted from the past by 100 cards/day of old content so it's hopefully not completely leaving my brain. If I get a UW question wrong because I forgot a Zanki detail, I'll just make some new cards about that. And it'll stick better going forward because I made the cards myself.

Reactions: 7 users
100%, I think this was the biggest paradigm shift for me... I've been keeping up with all Zanki reviews every single day for the past 2 years, but the opportunity cost is just too high once you hit dedicated. I think at some point it becomes correct to massively cut down on your Zanki reviews.

If you spend 5 hours looking at cards, and 90% of those cards you know the answers... you essentially just wasted 4.5 hours on things you already knew, and spent only 30 minutes productively.

About a week before dedicated I cut down to 100 reviews/day for cards with interval >30, and have been keeping with all reviews on shorter interval cards. Only ragret is that I didn't do this maybe 2 weeks earlier. Really pleased with how it's turned out and think this practice should be more widespread among the Zanki faithful.

The effect is that I get a chance to really hammer in the new details from cards I make on UW, and am still getting blasted from the past by 100 cards/day of old content so it's hopefully not completely leaving my brain. If I get a UW question wrong because I forgot a Zanki detail, I'll just make some new cards about that. And it'll stick better going forward because I made the cards myself.
I just quit doing reviews all together when dedicated started but I was in a weird situation where like 90% of my unsuspended cards are mature and I had very few learning cards. I figured I would get what I needed to know from the questions and it would be more efficient. I still use anki, but I mostly use it to look stuff up if I think of something while reviewing questions. It really functions as a better version of looking through first aid or pathoma. So far, so good. We will see come test day though.

Pretty worried that my lower sections are path and phys which are obviously major sections. It was like that for Rx, but then switching to Kaplan path and phys ended up ok/strong so I thought it was just an Rx thing but now the weaknesses have arisen again. Although my percents not terrible (73 atm after 240 qs), it seems to be artificially shored up by my sketchy pharm and path and for some reason biochem. Will more uworld fix that? Because based on the organ system analysis I don't have a clear section I'm sucking at so not 100% sure on the approach.

Post-NBME 18 thoughts:

What the hell was that. The way I whine about every NBME is almost comical by now, but I had the feeling they actually tried to trick me during the whole test and when I reviewed it, I turned out to be right. But it was nothing like the lazy written NBME 24, this was mostly about concepts and/or using logic to narrow down your choices. So I think it's excellent to practice our test-taking abilities.

This basically concludes my prep. Posting test and Qbank scores for reference:

NBME 13 - 259 (4 months out)
NBME 15 - 252 (2,5 months out)
NBME 17 - 265 (2 months out)
NBME 19 - 257 (1 month out)
UWSA 1 - 283 (3 weeks out)
NBME 23 - 263 (2.5 weeks out)
NBME 24 - 265 (1.5 weeks out)
UWSA 2 - 279 (1 week out)
NBME 18 - 261 (3 days out)

Rx - 87.5% (Timed, System-wise)
Kaplan - 90.3% (Timed, System-wise)
UWorld - 91.7% (Timed, Random)

Leaving Free 120 for tommorow and a light review of easy-to-forget stuff like developmental milestones etc for the last day. Maaaaybe I'll quickly review some UW incorrects throughout these 3 days.

Total prep was 40 weeks of full-time studying spending over 2k hours over my desk in total. Started with a weak pre-clinical and a decent clinical base knowledge as a graduate.

I put my heart and soul into this, so I really hope I don't mess this up last minute or choke on test day.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Post-NBME 18 thoughts:

What the hell was that. The way I whine about every NBME is almost comical by now, but I had the feeling they actually tried to trick me during the whole test and when I reviewed it, I turned out to be right. But it was nothing like the lazy written NBME 24, this was mostly about concepts and/or using logic to narrow down your choices. So I think it's excellent to practice our test-taking abilities.

Leaving Free 120 for tommorow and a light review of easy-to-forget stuff like developmental milestones etc for the last day. Maaaaybe I'll quickly review some UW incorrects throughout these 3 days.

Total prep was 40 weeks of full-time studying spending over 2k hours over my desk in total. Started with a weak pre-clinical and a decent clinical base knowledge as a graduate.

I put my heart and soul into this, so I really hope I don't mess this up last minute or choke on test day.

You're going to do great man. After recently taking it I can see why NBME 18 is supposedly really predictive. I thought that was the closest nbme to the real deal. That along with UWSA2.

Post-NBME 18 thoughts:

You'll probably get a "decent" score, somewhere in the high 260s low 270s.

Seriously though, congrats. Looks like you don't have any weaknesses. And I wouldn't be concerned about choking on test day... Look at how many days you showed up and didn't choke (i.e. all those practice tests and days maintaining Qbank %)

Random but quick question about how breaks work during the real exam:
Is it like the NBME where the timer is only for the block and if you pause it you have to keep track of how much time you're spending on a break? Or is there a separate timer for if you pause to take a break?
Can you get up in the middle of a block to take a break/use the bathroom or do you have to finish each block before you can get up?

Random but quick question about how breaks work during the real exam:
Is it like the NBME where the timer is only for the block and if you pause it you have to keep track of how much time you're spending on a break? Or is there a separate timer for if you pause to take a break?
Can you get up in the middle of a block to take a break/use the bathroom or do you have to finish each block before you can get up?

You have to finish the block and then you get an option for an authorized break. If you click yes begin break, your break timer will start counting down but your block timer is all done until you start your next block. Throughout the day you get an 8 hour "day timer" that ticks away the entire time. You also see a time elapsed timer for the day, showing you how long since you started (which was the by far the wildest part of this timer thing... lol seeing that you've been testing for over 7 hours but it feels like 2).

It's not really like the nbmes, but more so like the free 120. And the layout looks just like UW. Which helps a lot. The whole time you keep reminding yourself "hey, breath buddy it's just another UW block"

• Love
Post-NBME 18 thoughts:

oh my **** dude you are going to destroy this exam haha. cast any doubt aside. the test proctors would have to stab you in the heart at the fifth block to keep you from breaking 260.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
oh my **** dude you are going to destroy this exam haha. cast any doubt aside. the test proctors would have to stab you in the heart at the fifth block to keep you from breaking 260.
and they'd have to make sure they dont go too lateral with the knife and miss...i will never forget that uw question

• Haha
In normal people maybe. If you stab diphyllo there, a pure stream of high yield facts shoots out (elevated opening pressure!)
The trachea will deviate toward the copy of FA inside his chest wall

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
Update: NBME 23 - 246

Goal: 240
NBME 17 (12 weeks out): 196
CBSE (10 weeks out): 215
NBME 18 (8 weeks out): 207
NBME 20 (7 weeks out): 225
NBME 21 (5 weeks out) 225
NBME 22 (4 weeks out) 234
NBME 23 (3 weeks out) 246

Pretty shocked by this, but definitely not complaining! I guess this helps show that I am not hemorrhaging information by the day. Now if I could only get this on the real deal I would be ecstatic!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
I may not be anywhere near your guys' 230+ level but today's the first time I got less than 10 wrong on one NBME section. It feels like I'm not such a failure after all :clap:

Reactions: 9 users
I may not be anywhere near your guys' 230+ level but today's the first time I got less than 10 wrong on one NBME section. It feels like I'm not such a failure after all :clap:

Good job! I think there are NBME forms where that would put you squarely in the 230s!

• Love
Congrats! What do you think you did to have such a big jump in a week?

I started my second pass of Uworld during the last week and finished 33% of it with an 88% average. I have no idea if that had anything to do with the jump. Besides that I did a renal/pulm review and kept up with my anki reviews.

I haven’t reviewed the test yet, but my guess would be a lot less dumb mistakes (which usually come from overthinking these nbme questions) and a better test for my strengths. I think after doing so many questions you start getting the hang of what they’re trying to ask/test which helps with guessing correctly on some of these vague nbme stems

I’ll update if there’s anything I notice during my review.

Thanks! Yea overthinking NBME questions has gotten me into trouble. I guess I need to finish UW and see if my scores improve. My NBMEs have only gone up 10 pts since dedicated began
Agreed. My (approximate) score literally goes up double digits if I include the ones I changed because I overthought it. Which I guess is reassuring? Since apparently it’s test taking issues and not as much content issues.

Anybody got ideas how to fix that?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Agreed. My (approximate) score literally goes up double digits if I include the ones I changed because I overthought it. Which I guess is reassuring? Since apparently it’s test taking issues and not as much content issues.

Anybody got ideas how to fix that?

I feel like on the real deal, you read the question and its much more straight forward. When it's that straight forward it's easier to not overthink things.

I feel like on the real deal, you read the question and its much more straight forward. When it's that straight forward it's easier to not overthink things.
Yeah some of the NBMEs are just worded weird to me I guess. I do much better on Uworld style so let’s hope mines like that

Yeah some of the NBMEs are just worded weird to me I guess. I do much better on Uworld style so let’s hope mines like that

lol legit me. If its uworld like i feel like i can do real well. If not imma be real screwed

Feel like Uworld questions are an indication of how much I actually know. nbme questions are just stupid sometimes. Also you cant ask ridiculous **** and not offer explanations lol

Hi guys,

Just wanted some help on how to improve. I am a zanki fan boy, so I did that through m1/m2, maturerd around 78%
exam is the 28th of June

scores in order
nbme 17: 232
nbme 15: 234
nbme 21: 225 (was blindsided lol)
UWSA 1: 256
UW % through roughly 40 percent: 76%

Theres a huge ass disconnect between my nbmes and uworld/uwsa1. Any way to reconcile this?

things ive noted include:
I second guess a lot so im aware of not doing that
Trying to slow down and make sure I read the question (i like to jump the gun if I think I recognize something in the stem)

Thanks and good luck to you all!

• Wow
Hi guys,

Just wanted some help on how to improve. I am a zanki fan boy, so I did that through m1/m2, maturerd around 78%
exam is the 28th of June

scores in order
nbme 17: 232
nbme 15: 234
nbme 21: 225 (was blindsided lol)
UWSA 1: 256
UW % through roughly 40 percent: 76%

Theres a huge ass disconnect between my nbmes and uworld/uwsa1. Any way to reconcile this?

things ive noted include:
I second guess a lot so im aware of not doing that
Trying to slow down and make sure I read the question (i like to jump the gun if I think I recognize something in the stem)

Thanks and good luck to you all!
I have the same problems. Especially once it gets to the third block or so because I just wanna be done haha

lol legit me. If its uworld like i feel like i can do real well. If not imma be real screwed

Feel like Uworld questions are an indication of how much I actually know. nbme questions are just stupid sometimes. Also you cant ask ridiculous **** and not offer explanations lol
Was the cbse you all took past few months/ year as jank for you guys? I didn't feel it was too weird but haven't done the new nbmes. Just thinking of a comparison