Official 2020-2021 Endocrinology Fellowship Application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How would you rank Duke, Houston Methodist, Mt Sinai/BethIsrael NY and UMiami.
Duke is Duke...3 year program, research heavy...the others are not really known to me though the NYC BI program is at best a uni affiliate hospital, though if they rotate at the mothership, Mt Sinai's program is great and Josh Safer is there now heading up their transgender program...he was at BU and is amazing, both as an endocrinologist and teacher.

Reactions: 1 user
Duke is Duke...3 year program, research heavy...the others are not really known to me though the NYC BI program is at best a uni affiliate hospital, though if they rotate at the mothership, Mt Sinai's program is great and Josh Safer is there now heading up their transgender program...he was at BU and is amazing, both as an endocrinologist and teacher.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Which would you rank higher: Emory or UPMC?
That’s a hard one...depends on what you are looking for.
Probably would pick Emory , but mostly for geographic reasons... would rather be in atl than pitts...but I like Pittsburgh too.
UPMC is still rebuilding from the mass exodus of their researchers about 5 years ago...
Emory is busy and will see a lot of diabetes there .

Hi everyone,

Hope you all are doing well during this pandemic.

Would appreciate your thoughts on pros and cons on these programs, family-friendliness/safety of the area, and how you would rank them.

University of Virginia (2 or 3 year program), Prisma Health-USC, University of Kentucky, University of Oklahoma, Michigan State University-Sparrow Health

Thank you !

How would you rank Mount Sinai Beth Israel/Morningside/West and Montefiore?

How would you rank Yale vs University of Michigan?

How would you rank these programs guys:
Cleveland Clinic, Emory, UPMC, BU?
Does anyone remember how was UPMC in terms of number of inpatient consults, call schedule And census ? Thanks
UPMC 8-10 follow ups, 3-4 new consults. VA usually 5-6 pts, 10 if very busy.
Not sure about call schedule...I think there are 2 teams that alternate calls, including weekend calls and you spend 7 months on these teams during first year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t rank the places that you would rather go unmatched and need to scramble.

Thanks for all your replies.

anybody have an opinion on UTSW vs Emory?
( My understanding is Emory is 8 months of consult first year ( hows the second year?)sometimes running between 2 to 4 hospitals with no mid-levels to assist with glycemic consults? vs UTSW ( again total 8 months of consults but typically dedicated to one hospital, census not more than 15 for fellow?)
( Personally UTSW > Emory in terms of the program; also thought fellows at Emory were overworked unless I am missing something? , but have family ties around Atlanta hence the confusion lol)

Can anyone please provide thoughts on how to rank between UMass, UArizona Phoenix, U Florida Gainesville and Uwisconsin?

Can anyone please provide thoughts on how to rank between UMass, UArizona Phoenix, U Florida Gainesville and Uwisconsin?
Won’t comment on umass because I’m biased :)
The PD at Arizona is a friend and colleague...I dont know when he sleeps he does so much! Big advocate for his fellows and would be an amazing mentor.
Madison is bat $h1t crazy cold... 2-4 years there brrr! Though the spring and summer is beautiful!

How would you guys rank these programs from high to low:
Tufts, Loyola , Methodist and Medstar/Georgetown?
Thanks

I hope everyone received good news today!
Thank you for all the help!

Hope we all matched successfully. Congrats for all our achievements!

For those applying for future years, here’s some interesting info
  • 2020-2021 was an outlier in the sense that everything was virtual
  • Word of mouth of PDs said that programs of most specialties got 15-25% increase in applications, in addition to the usual 5%+ increase of applicants each year. Probably combination of application fever and additional interest for the field?
  • Because the application cycle opening was delayed 1 month, from mid July to August 12th, you were at a SEVERE disadvantage if you did not have your full app ready by the first few days of ERAS opening. Some programs were so overwhelmed with high-quality apps they stopped accepting apps a few days after (Like August 14th!)
  • We had a self-reported google spreadsheet updated daily. Roughly ~20+ programs sent out offers each week, and over 92% of programs had already sent out invitations by the first week of October (Only 12 programs were not captured by this time, but its assumed given the small sample size of applicants on SDN they were sent out at some point). Most programs only sent out one wave of invites, some sent out 2-3 staggered over several days/weeks. No obvious second wave of invites… more like trickle down invites here and there from cancellations.
  • Possible to get interviews without research... but you're really limiting your opportunities. I was asked about my research at every interview except 1
  • In terms of interviews, they ranged from 2-8 hrs. I didn’t think being virtual detracted too much. I appreciate the $$$ saved for sure. They asked standard questions “any questions for me” and “why endo”… sometimes 5 ppl in a row. Very few surprises.
  • Highly competitive applicants will always be attractive. Unlike past years where they could realistically only go on 10 interviews… nothing is stopping them from going on 20+. From the chat group, we had a significant number of people who attended 20+ interviews, wow! What this means for the scramble and unfilled positions, I don’t know. UPDATE: So prelim NRMP data came out. As expected, there was a bump in applicants, but not crazy as much as the other specialties. Similar to last year, there was around 23 positions unfilled, and 51 applicants were unmatched. ~15% unmatched. So looks like Programs planned accordingly and perhaps went lower on their rank list as usual (early speculation thought there would be lots of unfilled spots to scramble… no not really)
  • Last year for those who matched, 53% matched to their 1st choice, 70% to their top 2, 83% top 3. I anticipate the trend to stay about the same for this year too.
  • Endo is still a solid mid-tier specialty. It's not a bloodbath like some others, but you still need to have a good app to match to your ideal location/program.

Reactions: 1 user
This was posted on a physician group on fb

The George Washington University (GWU) Endocrinology fellowship has an unexpected first-year spot available starting July 1,2021. This will not show up on the NRMP unmatched list.

We are a two-year clinical program that is combined between GWU and the Washington DC VA. If you know anyone who is interested please have them email Lisa Horvath: [email protected]

they will support J1

Curious if anyone here matched to university of michigan - looking for our 3rd fellow :)

Did anyone here match with attempts , low scores and any other red flags?