Official 2020-2021 Endocrinology Fellowship Application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hahayea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, creating this thread to update each other when programs are sending out invites. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

8/12/2020
University of Virginia
Emory

Reactions: 1 user
Hi , I am new member here, I applied on 8/10/20 , when did you guys apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
App submitted 08/10.

- 08/13: University of Virginia.

If interested,
There's a google sheets collab document for interview invites/rejections to mark which programs you've heard from:

:corny:Google Sheets Collab document

Hopefully some of the lurkers can add their responses to the document, our sample size this year is small so far.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

8/17- university of Florida Jacksonville
8/17- Texas tech university Permian basin

How many Interviews on average do we get for Endocrinology fellowship

Hi all,
It's been a full first week since applications have opened, and looks like at least 45 programs out of 142 have sent out interview invites so far.
It appears most of the programs send out apps in one big wave, some are rolling invites.
It's still relatively early, so best of luck to all!

->-> [Link to the Google Docs]
:highfive:
We're limited in sample size but I think we did a great job so far. Thanks everyone for contributing to the google docs!

The first tab is the raw data where you post your applicant type (MD/DO/IMG) and the date and program that you got your invite from. If you get an invite and see its name already, you can update it from (x2--> x3) to show that at least three people were invited already.

The second tab is in progress and essentially the same thing, but is organized by program, not by applicant type.

How many Interviews on average do we get for Endocrinology fellowship

It depends on a lot of things - numbers of programs applied to, your strength as an applicant, USMD/DO/IMG status, research, LOR etc.
But generally, the advice is to go on as many interviews offered, and that you are willing to train at if possible. I think in last year's thread someone said that 90% of the applicants match to their top 3 programs? So it depends on your comfort level.

--

Also, can anyone confirm if UC Davis offered an interview on 8/13, and if University of Arizona Tucson offered an interview around 8/17? Im not sure if those were actually interview invites or internally offered interview invites.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does Mayo Rochester give visa?

img on j1
I thought it was a 3 year program and j1 people do not qualify for a 3 year program as the T32grant is not Available to people on j1

I thought it was a 3 year program and j1 people do not qualify for a 3 year program as the T32grant is not Available to people on j1

Not correct...they are generally encouraged to get a T32 grant for the 3rd year, but if they can’t get it, many places will just find the year...generally they don’t have to do it that often...mayo is a big ,well funded program...they want you, it won’t be a problem.

Hello guys! I am an IMG currenty doing my residency in Canada and I have applied for about 40 programs. I have got only 2 interviews so far. Do you think I should wait more? Or the programs already sent all their interviews?

Quick Question:
Have you all received dates from Tulane, WashU or University of Tn?

If interested,
There's a google sheets collab document for interview invites/rejections to mark which programs you've heard from:

:corny:Google Sheets Collab document

Hopefully some of the lurkers can add their responses to the document, our sample size this year is small so far.

Best of luck!
Hi! I am new here, just wanted to know how you got an idea about the sample size for the 2021 match, you said it was small?

Hi guys.
If you had to choose between Medstar/George town and University of Connecticut. Which one would you choose? Thanks

Hi guys.
If you had to choose between Medstar/George town and University of Connecticut. Which one would you choose? Thanks
Georgetown...many of the faculty there and Washington hospital are leaders in the field...dr Jonklaas is the president elect for ATA, dr Verbalis is there...dr wartofsky is at Washington hospital.
NIH is in Bethesda so could have opportunity to rotate there.
Plus DC , better to live in than the middle of Connecticut...nothing to do there.

Reactions: 1 users
Did UMass-Worcester and Brown RI released interview invites already?

Do any of you guys know about RWJMS program in Paterson NJ?
If had to choose between it and Loyola university program which one would you go to?

Do any of you guys know about RWJMS program in Paterson NJ?
If had to choose between it and Loyola university program which one would you go to?
There is a program in Paterson? At st joes? It must be new...did my clerkships there and would have stayed for IM, but wanted a place that had endo...mind you that was 2008...but at least till 2013, there wasn’t an endocrine program there.

Loyola main program? If you are interested in calcium /osteoporosis, would pick Loyola.

Lol...I just checked freida...it’s Paterson street in New Brunswick, nj.

Last edited:
There is a program in Paterson? At st joes? It must be new...did my clerkships there and would have stayed for IM, but wanted a place that had endo...mind you that was 2008...but at least till 2013, there wasn’t an endocrine program there.

Loyola main program? If you are interested in calcium /osteoporosis, would pick Loyola.

Lol...I just checked freida...it’s Paterson street in New Brunswick, nj.
Oh Paterson Street...
I thought it’s in Paterson.
Ya Loyola the main program. I think Loyola is stronger but I heard it’s a malignant program.

lol...and exactly what is a malignant endocrine program? I have yet to meet a mean endocrinologist.
For example fellows got paged by nurses in the middle of the night for sugar control. All diabetes consults go to fellows I heard also

For example fellows got paged by nurses in the middle of the night for sugar control. All diabetes consults go to fellows I heard also
Lol...uh, who should the diabetes consults go to?
And that’s what a correction scale is for...but unless something weird is going on with your pt, the latest sugar should be a bedtime sugar. It’s called home call.
If that’s your idea of malignant, then practically all endocrine programs are going to be malignant

Lol...uh, who should the diabetes consults go to?
And that’s what a correction scale is for...but unless something weird is going on with your pt, the latest sugar should be a bedtime sugar. It’s called home call.
If that’s your idea of malignant, then practically all endocrine programs are going to be malignant
No they call residents most programs for just glucose correction or they just follow the correction scale as u said. Reg consults, many programs have PAs to cover diabetes cases if there is no teaching value of the cases for fellows.

No they call residents most programs for just glucose correction or they just follow the correction scale as u said. Reg consults, many programs have PAs to cover diabetes cases if there is no teaching value of the cases for fellows.
you're a first year fellow...there is teaching value in seeing diabetes consults...having mid levels (and its usually NPs not PAs)do that just allows them to take over and think they can practice endocrinology on their own.

and if you are consulted on the pt, then no they call the fellow on call...but what do i know? i'm just an endocrinologist that has been through a fellowship and have friends and colleagues that went to different fellowship programs across the country. SMH

you're a first year fellow...there is teaching value in seeing diabetes consults...having mid levels (and its usually NPs not PAs)do that just allows them to take over and think they can practice endocrinology on their own.

and if you are consulted on the pt, then no they call the fellow on call...but what do i know? i'm just an endocrinologist that has been through a fellowship and have friends and colleagues that went to different fellowship programs across the country. SMH

I am a recent endo grad and certainly would not want the nurses paging me in the middle of the night with glucose issues when there is an in house resident team or hospitalist who is fully capable of answering basic questions. How would the in house teaching teams even know what is going on with their patients if nurses always paged consultants directly? Maybe this is a regional difference but I have certainly never heard of this being standard in my program or other nearby programs? Nurses call primary teams. Primary teams then can discuss directly with consulting teams if needed. With 50+ patients on the diabetes consult lists at times, it would be impossible to sleep if we got all the pages directly about glucose.

I definitely don’t think there is teaching value in all diabetes cases for fellows, but I guess some of that would depend on the threshold for consulting at each institution. It would be impossible for all of the consults to be seen by one fellow at the place I trained, so I agree asking about division of consults is important on the interview trail.

I am a recent endo grad and certainly would not want the nurses paging me in the middle of the night with glucose issues when there is an in house resident team or hospitalist who is fully capable of answering basic questions. How would the in house teaching teams even know what is going on with their patients if nurses always paged consultants directly? Maybe this is a regional difference but I have certainly never heard of this being standard in my program or other nearby programs? Nurses call primary teams. Primary teams then can discuss directly with consulting teams if needed. With 50+ patients on the diabetes consult lists at times, it would be impossible to sleep if we got all the pages directly about glucose.

I definitely don’t think there is teaching value in all diabetes cases for fellows, but I guess some of that would depend on the threshold for consulting at each institution. It would be impossible for all of the consults to be seen by one fellow at the place I trained, so I agree asking about division of consults is important on the interview trail.
The issue was not about attendings being receiving sugar calls, but fellows. There are variations at all programs and many places do use midlevels as a gluc service, but many places don’t.
And as a first year fellow in sept, it’s a little too early to say that they think they know enough about diabetes management to say there is no educational value in managing inpt diabetes...esp in the age of covid what with the very unusual presentations of dka and insulin resistance that we are seeing.

I trained in the NE for endo so may be a regional difference, and while we had a
Midlevel for diabetes, they did the follow ups, but the fellow was responsible for the service and did all the initial consults...and I was at a place where we had a separate division of endocrinology and division of diabetes, so there was more of a focus on diabetes when on the diabetes service.

The issue was not about attendings being receiving sugar calls, but fellows. There are variations at all programs and many places do use midlevels as a gluc service, but many places don’t.
And as a first year fellow in sept, it’s a little too early to say that they think they know enough about diabetes management to say there is no educational value in managing inpt diabetes...esp in the age of covid what with the very unusual presentations of dka and insulin resistance that we are seeing.

I trained in the NE for endo so may be a regional difference, and while we had a
Midlevel for diabetes, they did the follow ups, but the fellow was responsible for the service and did all the initial consults...and I was at a place where we had a separate division of endocrinology and division of diabetes, so there was more of a focus on diabetes when on the diabetes service.

Sorry for any confusion, but yes I meant nursing calls to fellows not attendings. As a fellow, I would expect a call from a primary team overnight if there were an issue they could not solve (not a bedside nurse). Certainly does sound like a regional difference - interesting.

Of course all fellows will do tons of inpatient diabetes consults no matter how much NP/PA support there is, and the COVID cases are interesting. I think what I was trying to get across is the 100th consult for glucose control in a diabetic foot ulcer patient doesn’t always add a lot of learning value...

Hello everyone,
I have submitted my eras application on September 10th. Haven't got any interviews so far. Have i applied too late??
Also please which endo programs are least competitive?!

Do you all have a template email for cancelling or rejecting interviews that you would like to share?

Hello
Any idea about Tulane Endocrinology? I thought Tulane would be great however they do not have any dedicated research rotation ( and that something I am interested in)

Hello
Any idea about Tulane Endocrinology? I thought Tulane would be great however they do not have any dedicated research rotation ( and that something I am interested in)
They are a more clinical program. If research is what you are interested in, it’s probably not for you. Can you get research...sure, but it will be more work on you to find it.

How would you rank these programs guys:
Cleveland Clinic, Emory, UPMC, BU?
Does anyone remember how was UPMC in terms of number of inpatient consults, call schedule And census ? Thanks

How would you rank these programs guys:
Cleveland Clinic, Emory, UPMC, BU?
Does anyone remember how was UPMC in terms of number of inpatient consults, call schedule And census ? Thanks
depends on where your interests lie...

BU is hands down best for thyroid ..and Boston is very Endocrine heavy...you will work with some amazing people.
Emory...diabetes and transgender very strong there.
CCF is overall good...medical education opportunities are big with CCF board review and strong Endocrine University (though lord only knows what thats going to be like with the AACE rebranding...ugh)connections.
UPMC...not sure how well the rebuilding of that program has gone..was a research powerhouse.

Any opinions on the NYC programs?

-NS/LIJ
-NYU
-Mount Sinai
-Cornell

How would you guys rank the following programs:
Johns Hopkins
Yale
Boston Medical Center
Georgetown MedStar
Univ. of Michigan
NIH

I'm very conflicted...Interested in neuroendocrine (at this point I think?), clinical research is important, quality of life...

Hello
How would one rank Emory, Georgetown, and Univerisity of Illinois-Chicago ( I personally got the feeling that Emory was very busy inpatient)
Interest in thyroid disorder/FNA/Thyroid Cancer.
Would also like transgender/obesity
Thank you!

Hello
How would one rank Emory, Georgetown, and Univerisity of Illinois-Chicago ( I personally got the feeling that Emory was very busy inpatient)
Interest in thyroid disorder/FNA/Thyroid Cancer.
Would also like transgender/obesity
Thank you!

Emory is very busy...but great for transgender
Georgetown is a catholic hospital...doubt transgender is high there...but the fellows rotate at Washington hospital so may get some there.

How would you rank Duke, Houston Methodist, Mt Sinai/BethIsrael NY and UMiami.