USMLE Official 2020 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since one hasn't been started, figured I'd start this for all us M2s and M3s taking Step this coming year.

DO student interested in EM. Estimated test date is mid June.

Goal is 230+ but I'd be happy with 225+.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Half way through form 24 right now. Don’t wanna jinx it but I feel much better about it than when I did 22. I skipped 23 for now because people seemed to do better on 24 and I could use a tiny confidence boost.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes! Took it early july. Haven't gotten my score back. Not really sure how to describe it. There were some gimmes I think probably no more than 15. Some super hard one's I had no clue. Everything else in the middle was worded in such an odd way, to the point where you can't even look them up. So on a 1-10 scale I'd say 6-7. Genetics felt like USA2. Everything else felt like NBME. Biostats no calculations, just weird interpretations. Some MCAT things show up too. I have zero clue how I did.
Youll have a crazy good curve lol i know the high scorers on this thread and I remember youre one of them so if you thought it was a 6-7 then other people were probably dying lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully! I've seen some crazy overpredictions which have me freaked out
Pretty sure most all people are within their confidence interval so I wouldnt worry too much as im sure even your low end is probably 240s or 250s. You should have your score this weds i think right?

Last edited:
UW is pissing me tf off. Any of you 250+ scorers get under 80% on blocks 2-3 weeks before your exam? Im still getting 75s at times (75-85 pm avg). It feels like most people who scored above 250 were above 80% consistently in the weeks leading up to their exam. I gotta get 250+
Yup. Was still hitting in the upper 70s up until the end.

• Love
Pretty sure most all people are within their confidence interval so I wouldnt worry too much as im sure even your low end is probably 240s or 250s. You should have your score this weds i think right?
Either this Wednesday or the next. I keep flipping through first aid looking for things that showed up lol

Friend just reported back from COMLEX feeling the same as I did after mine, so hopefully the curve truly does balance out lol

Friend just reported back from COMLEX feeling the same as I did after mine, so hopefully the curve truly does balance out lol
I can't seem to find this info online (probably because I'm blind) but is comlex curved according to everyone who took it that same day, regardless of the form you have or based on the form as well?

Just finished Form 24: 247 !!! If I can get that on the real thing I would be beyond happy.
YES!!!! LEGGOo! Thats a phenomenal score nice work. 18 and 24 are the best of all of the NBMEs I think as far as the predictive/representative value. They still both underpredict regardless but by less than the others

I can't seem to find this info online (probably because I'm blind) but is comlex curved according to everyone who took it that same day, regardless of the form you have or based on the form as well?
I am not honestly not sure, I've never tried to find any COMLEX specific info tbh

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahaha yeah I'm dreading going back to UWorld to do the several blocks of new questions. They're soooo difficult. I don't do AMBOSS 5 hammers because I heard previously they're ridiculous but Mr. or Ms. Amyloid here is trying to ruin my fun

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Hahaha yeah I'm dreading going back to UWorld to do the several blocks of new questions. They're soooo difficult. I don't do AMBOSS 5 hammers because I heard previously they're ridiculous but Mr. or Ms. Amyloid here is trying to ruin my fun
Yeah they're rough but so much of the real deal was reading a lot of words that don't tell you much and could basically apply to anything. The best question that mimicked the real deal was the hypersensitivity pneumonitis questions in UWORLD

How are yalls fellow classmates doing? I thought I was struggling but I've had more than 5 different people tell me they are failing the UWSAs or have failed every NBME they have taken. Kinda changes my perspective on how I feel about my subpar(compared to the other posters on here) scores

How are yalls fellow classmates doing? I thought I was struggling but I've had more than 5 different people tell me they are failing the UWSAs or have failed every NBME they have taken. Kinda changes my perspective on how I feel about my subpar(compared to the other posters on here) scores
I try not to talk about step with anyone from school tbh. I only told my closest med school friend my score and we discussed prep together. She has had solid performance, lower scores than me but solid scores overall. I guess it makes sense that there are a lot of people struggling? I think that's why a passing step score is better than no score, because we don't realize just how much it takes to pass for a lot of people. I think you're in a solid place in the real world.

I try not to talk about step with anyone from school tbh. I only told my closest med school friend my score and we discussed prep together. She has had solid performance, lower scores than me but solid scores overall. I guess it makes sense that there are a lot of people struggling? I think that's why a passing step score is better than no score, because we don't realize just how much it takes to pass for a lot of people. I think you're in a solid place in the real world.
Yeah me either, people usually bring stuff up with me because I have been very vocal over the past 2 years with how much I struggled with our in house exams. Just was not expecting this many to approach me.

Yeah at my school most students fail them or don't take them. I failed 19 and only got a 200 on 17. I have heard that a person failed several (more than a couple) of them but then passed the cbse (1 of 10 students) out of nowhere to qualify to take step, the persistance paid off big time. We have an 88% match rate so he/she is probably good to go now. The school has produced a lot of doctors. I think our avg step 1 is 215, not sure. As long as there are still hours before your test, there's always a chance to improve. I think you're already at 220, which is a solid score. As long as you just keep existing and waking up in the morning, really good things will happen to you.
Hope so, at this point a 220 would have me over the moon lol. Wild to think how I came into dedicated with goals of a 245+

My friend is having the post-COMLEX meltdown talking about repeating the year when she fails. And she's had solid NBME/UWSA scores. Crazy how this exam is making all of us feel, like we shouldn't be concerned about failing and yet...here we are. Legit angry with the NBOME.

• Love
My friend is having the post-COMLEX meltdown talking about repeating the year when she fails. And she's had solid NBME/UWSA scores. Crazy how this exam is making all of us feel, like we shouldn't be concerned about failing and yet...here we are. Legit angry with the NBOME.
When do you guys find out? What happens if you do well on step 1 but don't do well on comlex?

NBOME should have never existed ever. I literally hate them lmao

I am not at all looking forward to Monday. I didn't feel bad immediately post COMLEX but the more I think about it the worse I feel and I'm actually scared about whether or not I passed. Instead of celebrating our Step scores and looking forward to third year and clinical medicine, we're worried about this pointless crap exam possibly ruining everything.

Lol this is literally me to anyone who will listen. I've already planned out my study plan and everything :lol: :lol: :vomit:

When do you guys find out? What happens if you do well on step 1 but don't do well on comlex?

My score should be released on Monday but anyone who took it post June 28 won't get theirs until August.

Question for you all: if a program has both a Step cutoff and a COMLEX cutoff, will they still consider you if your Step score clears their threshold but (theoretically I hope) your COMLEX doesn't?

My score should be released on Monday but anyone who took it post June 28 won't get theirs until August.

Question for you all: if a program has both a Step cutoff and a COMLEX cutoff, will they still consider you if your Step score clears their threshold but (theoretically I hope) your COMLEX doesn't?
I've heard that if this is the case that you should send an email to the PD or whoever and say "hey btw I took step and got this score just wanted to make sure it went through blah blah your program is a INSPIRATION"

What @ohmanwaddup said-- I have heard of several applicants reaching out just kind of nudging PDs like "hey, I have a step score!" It all depends on how they set up their filters and what not so I definitely wouldn't do it right away, but if some time has passed and you haven't heard from the program and you think you're a competitive applicant, I would reach out with something along those lines.

So I have to wait until August because they report scores from an entire month in like a 5 day period. It's the silliest thing because it means if you took your exam on the first day of the month long block, you have to wait 5+ weeks for a score versus someone who took it the last day waits like a week.

The value of the score depends on what you're interested in. Obviously we all need to pass because we need to pass COMLEX to graduate. Beyond that, it just depends on individual goals. For those interested in competitive specialities like ortho, they usually want a higher score because they will apply to former DO programs that will actually look at the COMLEX. For most everyone else, it holds no value except for if you want to score above a certain minimum threshold/filter for a program so that you don't have to worry about sending the "hey I have a step score" email I just mentioned in my previous post.

Taking UWSA2 this week guys. Thinking of watching BnB Genetics a 3rd time lol i heard genetics and biochem heavy right? Any other tips?
I might go against the grain here and say maybe don't watch/study specifically for a test? Like, you want it to be an accurate assessment of your current knowledge base, so I'd think watching videos on things you know specifically are heavy on the exam in the few days before might be misleading. I would personally take it without specifically studying for it, then see how you do and go from there.

Reactions: 4 users
If anyone was wondering why I still haven't changed my avatar from the Prometric thanos episode, it's because COMLEX has got me feeling the same way lol

• Haha
Once again bombarding the thread, my bad, but...for those who took COMLEX, when you log in to your NBOME account, is it there under "my exams"? I could swear after I took the test I checked and it was there and said something along the lines of "taken" and "score report unavailable", but now there's nothing there.........

Once again bombarding the thread, my bad, but...for those who took COMLEX, when you log in to your NBOME account, is it there under "my exams"? I could swear after I took the test I checked and it was there and said something along the lines of "taken" and "score report unavailable", but now there's nothing there.........

I just checked and mine is the same. It says they're doing maintenance on the site right now so that's probably why our exams are gone.

I just checked and mine is the same. It says they're doing maintenance on the site right now so that's probably why our exams are gone.
Thanks for checking, was about to be like maybe I failed so bad the exam just disappeared into oblivion

I might go against the grain here and say maybe don't watch/study specifically for a test? Like, you want it to be an accurate assessment of your current knowledge base, so I'd think watching videos on things you know specifically are heavy on the exam in the few days before might be misleading. I would personally take it without specifically studying for it, then see how you do and go from there.
True but genetics is BY FAR my weakest subject and it seems like the exam may not be predictive for me then. Its weird to think that an exam so heavy in one subject could be so predictive

Taking UWSA2 this week guys. Thinking of watching BnB Genetics a 3rd time lol i heard genetics and biochem heavy right? Any other tips?

I second @fldoctorgirl in that studying specifically for a test could inflate your score a little bit. Your practice exams have been really good throughout dedicated which indicates your knowledge base is very solid so I don't think you need to study for it specifically to get a good score. And whatever you score on it ends up being, remember that UWSA2 isn't the end all be all predictive exam, especially this year where real scores have been fluctuating quite a bit from the predictor. UWSA2 overpredicted me by a decent amount but it's been spot on or underpredictive for other people and you just never know what's going to happen on test day. I personally feel like I got lucky on UWSA2 and my real score was a more accurate representation of my Step 1 knowledge base but it is different from person to person.

View attachment 311949

These are COMLEX 1 score release dates. Anyone know how we'll know what day they're released on and at what time scores are typically released at? I'm in the July 9-13 cohort.

Yeah what they said. They’re doing system maintenance 6-11pm (I think eastern time?) so don’t worry

Edited when I realized I had @Cath Up old post still lingering in my quote these messages. I took comlex 1 last year and I tried to look up the time for you but couldn’t find it so it was still there :(
I think mine was in the 3-5pm range. I remember seeing it on the way home from my rotation. And not to get anyone’s hopes up but mine came out the day *before* our score release window so I really wasn’t mentally prepared for it haha.

Thats what mine said afterwords and I just checked and its gone lol. the whole category vanished wtf

True but genetics is BY FAR my weakest subject and it seems like the exam may not be predictive for me then. Its weird to think that an exam so heavy in one subject could be so predictive
Same here but this way you can see exactly how much of a weakness it is. I got a 247 on UWSA2 but I knew it was because it heavily tested my weak points, and I felt okay with that score because I knew I had still done well despite it hitting my weak points. I scored 8 points better on the real deal less than a week later. Do what you feel comfortable at the end of the day though, those are just my thoughts!

• Love
I am not at all looking forward to Monday. I didn't feel bad immediately post COMLEX but the more I think about it the worse I feel and I'm actually scared about whether or not I passed. Instead of celebrating our Step scores and looking forward to third year and clinical medicine, we're worried about this pointless crap exam possibly ruining everything.
Yeah what they said. They’re doing system maintenance 6-11pm (I think eastern time?) so don’t worry

Edited when I realized I had @Cath Up old post still lingering in my quote these messages. I took comlex 1 last year and I tried to look up the time for you but couldn’t find it so it was still there :(
I think mine was in the 3-5pm range. I remember seeing it on the way home from my rotation. And not to get anyone’s hopes up but mine came out the day *before* our score release window so I really wasn’t mentally prepared for it haha.
It's okay. I like to think SDN would be a better place if everyone erroneously quoted some of my wisdom in each post. This is a start.

Hahahaha I legit forgot I had GoCards05 quoted. Can't make this stuff up. I mean, you can... but people wouldn't just go on the internet and lie... would they?

• Haha
Also sitting here wondering what’s gonna happen if I fail comlex LOL. Kind of feel like I should have been doing practice questions this past couple of weeks just in case. I’ve literally done nothing.

I mean, most programs out there are not formerly AOA programs - they’ve always been ACGME. So if you avoid the formerly AOA ones, and have a great step score, maybe they won’t care that you failed comlex because it’s never been relevant to them. Those are my hopes at least.

Also sitting here wondering what’s gonna happen if I fail comlex LOL. Kind of feel like I should have been doing practice questions this past couple of weeks just in case. I’ve literally done nothing.

I mean, most programs out there are not formerly AOA programs - they’ve always been ACGME. So if you avoid the formerly AOA ones, and have a great step score, maybe they won’t care that you failed comlex because it’s never been relevant to them. Those are my hopes at least.

You know I felt OK about Step 1 and got very close to my predicted score. I hated everything about my Level 1 experience and was dreading my score release last week....especially as my Level 1 had really hard biostats (which I hate). I did fine. You will too. You only need 400 to pass Level 1.

You know I felt OK about Step 1 and got very close to my predicted score. I hated everything about my Level 1 experience and was dreading my score release last week....especially as my Level 1 had really hard biostats (which I hate). I did fine. You will too. You only need 400 to pass Level 1.

I had awful biostats too, and a ton of it. At least 5 math questions per block, and some were really challenging. That makes me feel a little better.

Time for bed yall, Feel like I got nothing done today, mostly because Uworld does not actually feel like studying to me. probably going to take UWSA2 in the afternoon because I have to take my cat to the boarders. Not expecting high hopes since biochem is gross. low key almost want a bad score to kick my rear in gear these last few days

I swear to god everything in life is ganging up on me to rip away the little study I have left. I want to scream

• Sad
I had awful biostats too, and a ton of it. At least 5 math questions per block, and some were really challenging. That makes me feel a little better.
Mine was "do you know these 4 related biostatistic calculations? You sure? We're going to ask you again. You sure? Here are a few more. And one more for good measure. This is what should evaluate your knowledge of medicine."

• Haha