USMLE Official 2020 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since one hasn't been started, figured I'd start this for all us M2s and M3s taking Step this coming year.

DO student interested in EM. Estimated test date is mid June.

Goal is 230+ but I'd be happy with 225+.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
feel like zanki broke what my idea of hard work is. Doing target review feels so much lazier than 2000 reviews everyday.

Pretty cool to see so many DO students here lol. Here's to hoping we don't have to take COMLEX-PE :dead:

a

DAMN you killed both of them!! Congrats!! I felt like absolute garbage after Level 1 so I'd probably give my future first born child for your scores lol
Thanks!! I feel you though. COMLEX was a literal dumpster fire, and I felt awful too. Take heart though, it will likely be just fine in the end! Trust your prep.

Reactions: 1 users
Quite a few pedigree questions using weirdly labeled genes,
fml. For me I dont think Uwsa2 will be predictive if I dont get a high score. Its too genetics and biochem heavy. If im getting high 70s and 80s on all my UW blocks and a 250 on NBME 18 Im just gonna take UWSA2 with a grain of salt since it hits all my weaknesses

Reactions: 1 user
fml. For me I dont think Uwsa2 will be predictive if I dont get a high score. Its too genetics and biochem heavy. If im getting high 70s and 80s on all my UW blocks and a 250 on NBME 18 Im just gonna take UWSA2 with a grain of salt since it hits all my weaknesses
UWSA2 is really only heavy in those in one particular section. If you can handle the new NBMEs you can handle the UWSA2. Also, I think if the rest of the practice exams are in range, you'll be more than fine. When are you testing again? 2 weeks?

UWSA2 is really only heavy in those in one particular section. If you can handle the new NBMEs you can handle the UWSA2. Also, I think if the rest of the practice exams are in range, you'll be more than fine. When are you testing again? 2 weeks?
Yeah 2 weeks exactly. I handled NBME 18 and 24 well but 22 was a huge fluke for me. 21 was my baseline. My UWSA1 (256) 4 weeks out and 18 (250) 3 weeks our are my only two scores im super proud of and they were the only ones taken within 4 weeks of my test so hopefully they will be predictive

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah 2 weeks exactly. I handled NBME 18 and 24 well but 22 was a huge fluke for me. 21 was my baseline. My UWSA1 (256) 4 weeks out and 18 (250) 3 weeks our are my only two scores im super proud of and they were the only ones taken within 4 weeks of my test so hopefully they will be predictive

You are really going to have amazing scores on both tests! A NBME of 250 is just ridiculously good.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd just keep hoaning in on your weakness! UWSA2 has a gental curve compared to the nbmes so you might be suprised at how well you do!

Alright the end is near lol. Doing free 120 tmr morning and going to simulate testing environment as much as possible. Starting doing the 100 anatomy concepts and FA rapid review. I know some of ya'll recommended to read through FA but I think the RR Anki deck is more my speed, at least retention wise. Watched a lot of Dirty USLME today as well I found it very helpful.

I'm fried. I'm so over all of this I can barely function during the day. It is just depressing at this point. Tired of getting Uworld enzyme questions wrong, or biostats terms that are not in FA. I've tried to go super hard these past few days but my heart just is not in it. I just want to take the exam and give it my all. I'm tired of giving my all to flashcards and Qbanks.

As always sorry for the eeyore esque post, Ya'll are just the only ones who understand what this process is like.

Alright the end is near lol. Doing free 120 tmr morning and going to simulate testing environment as much as possible. Starting doing the 100 anatomy concepts and FA rapid review. I know some of ya'll recommended to read through FA but I think the RR Anki deck is more my speed, at least retention wise. Watched a lot of Dirty USLME today as well I found it very helpful.

I'm fried. I'm so over all of this I can barely function during the day. It is just depressing at this point. Tired of getting Uworld enzyme questions wrong, or biostats terms that are not in FA. I've tried to go super hard these past few days but my heart just is not in it. I just want to take the exam and give it my all. I'm tired of giving my all to flashcards and Qbanks.

As always sorry for the eeyore esque post, Ya'll are just the only ones who understand what this process is like.
I feel you. My uncle an MD messaged me the night before my exam and told me I'll do fine, it's just a basic memorization test

I'm starting to feel like this too, a week out. An uninspiring NBME 22 today as well.
Almost there!! You can do it Eeyore.

I really don't think they know how difficult has become. When he took step 1 it was optional and not even called step 1 lol
Dude Step 1 now compared to 20 years ago lmao omg. Like no comparison. I was talking to a Cardiologist that did IM at MGH and he goes "all we had to do was pass. they gave us like 2 weeks to review everything and we just took it". I started rofling

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Real talk guys do you think I should still hit that anatomy deck everyone is talking about if anatomy is my highest percentile on UWorld? its weird because im 93rd percentile in anatomy but I bombed NBME 22 (super anatomy heavy) so I am not sure what to think

I

Real talk guys do you think I should still hit that anatomy deck everyone is talking about if anatomy is my highest percentile on UWorld? its weird because im 93rd percentile in anatomy but I bombed NBME 22 (super anatomy heavy) so I am not sure what to think
I would personally. You never know what's going to show up on your exam

• Love
Real talk is that you could watch paint dry from now until your exam and still be set to jet for this test. If you're 93rd%ile and a DC I'm gonna vote your efforts are best placed elsewhere though

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

I’m agreeing with @Cath Up here. There’s absolutely a 0% chance you need to go out of your way to study anatomy.

For those of you that got score reports, does it look identical to the NBME one? Think my score is coming next week

It’s a little similar to the report for the newer NBMEs but even less useful - it’s missing the comparison group column. It only compares you to yourself. The comlex one is actually useful because it ranks your performance in that discipline against the mean and standard deviation of everyone who took it, but the step one is absolute trash.

Reactions: 5 users
I’m agreeing with @Cath Up here. There’s absolutely a 0% chance you need to go out of your way to study anatomy.

It’s a little similar to the report for the newer NBMEs but even less useful - it’s missing the comparison group column. It only compares you to yourself. The comlex one is actually useful because it ranks your performance in that discipline against the mean and standard deviation of everyone who took it, but the step one is absolute trash.
The one time COMLEX does something useful lmao

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
80% on Free 120, Pretty sure that is a good thing?

Really wish there were explanations to these.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Are there different versions? Feel like my exam didn’t have some of these. I found the free120 by going through a reddit post
Oh I have no idea. I am taking free120 to tomorrow at the prometric center ( for which I paid like 160€ so not free at all lol)

Dude heck yes!!!! Thats a Really good percentage. I think youll reach your goal for sure. Youre almost done bro!
Here's hoping. The burnout is real. Legit think Im just going to watch Dirty USLME and Pathoma videos for the next two days. Its taking me 15 min just to do 35 flashcards

I think I’m gonna just spend this next week and a half reading each section of FA then doing amboss subject specific. UWSA2 this Friday. Nbme 23 next Wednesday. Free 120 day before.
I just don’t trust nbme 18 anymore, my friend said it was way too easy compared to step (overpredicted by 15 for him)

I think I’m gonna just spend this next week and a half reading each section of FA then doing amboss subject specific. UWSA2 this Friday. Nbme 23 next Wednesday. Free 120 day before.
I just don’t trust nbme 18 anymore, my friend said it was way too easy compared to step (overpredicted by 15 for him)
What was your friends practice scores to real deal?

Taking NBME 21 right now...goddamn this is hard. hopefully this doesn't kill my confidence for the exam two days from now LOL

Uhhh NBME 18 overpredicted by 15? holy **** that is terrifying. Nbme 18 is probably one of the best ones other than 24 honestly. Its only one data point. 18 is either acurate or underpredicts for many people. How was his UWorld scores and practice test scores on 24 and UWSA1 and 2

Uhhh NBME 18 overpredicted by 15? holy **** that is terrifying. Nbme 18 is probably one of the best ones other than 24 honestly. Its only one data point. 18 is either acurate or underpredicts for many people. How was his UWorld scores and practice test scores on 24 and UWSA1 and 2

these were the rest of his stats
Nbme 18 was 250 (1 week out)
20-23 low 230s (these were weeks before his exam date though)
Didn’t take the UWSAs
Uworld 76%
Actual 237
This freaked me out. Maybe nerves got to him a little?

Didn’t take the UWSAs
Uworld 76%
Actual 237
Idk, seems like he scored right around his other NBMEs. Sucks to say but maybe he got lucky on 18?

EDIT: also without a 120 and UWSA2 its hard to say how predictive one exam is. I basically got the same score (224,225) on 18 and UWSA2, and I'm very curious to see how my real score lines up

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Didn’t take the UWSAs
Uworld 76%
Actual 237
holy **** these are my stats exactly. Fml. 237 wow. maybe his 76% wasnt first pass timed random

Idk, seems like he scored right around his other NBMEs. Sucks to say but maybe he got lucky on 18?

EDIT: also without a 120 and UWSA2 its hard to say how predictive one exam is. I basically got the same score (224,225) on 18 and UWSA2, and I'm very curious to see how my real score lines up
the new nbmes are not predictive at all and are way harder than 18. Maybe his UWorld percent was inflated and he was looking up answrs in 18

Last edited: