USMLE Official 2020 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since one hasn't been started, figured I'd start this for all us M2s and M3s taking Step this coming year.

DO student interested in EM. Estimated test date is mid June.

Goal is 230+ but I'd be happy with 225+.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I aint postponing lol I am done with dedicated. for better or worse I am taking step on Thursday. Its either that or cancel lol

This is the one thing non-physician peeps will never understand about medicine -> the testing dates are not necessarily motivated by performance or perceived readiness, but by burnout. You’ve got to find the magic spot for testing that’s found between knowing as much as you can possibly know, and taking your test before you just stop studying altogether because you just can’t do it anymore. Nobody in the whole world could have explained this to me before dedicated; I wouldn’t have understood. I get it now.

Best of luck to you, and get ready to enjoy that freedom! It’s awesome.

Reactions: 7 users
Just finished my second pass of UW at 82% correct.

Funny thing is that I got 65% correct on my last block ( it had like 20 hard AF new questions that are not in FA), and previous to that my "worst" block was 75% correct. Thank you UW for boosting my moral 1 week out :)

Just finished my second pass of UW at 82% correct.

Funny thing is that I got 65% correct on my last block ( it had like 20 hard AF new questions that are not in FA), and previous to that my "worst" block was 75% correct. Thank you UW for boosting my moral 1 week out :)
Dude im 90% done with my first pass and im getting wrecked by the new questions. They are unnecessarily hard like on topics I should never know as a rising 3rd year. Wtf do these people at UW expect from us lol. I was doing so well and now my scores have dropped. Why do they do this lmao

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
anybody know how hard it would be to take step 1 halfway through my IM 2 (GI) ? In case I last minute decide to push mine back for more time to do practice questions

anybody know how hard it would be to take step 1 halfway through my IM 2 (GI) ? In case I last minute decide to push mine back for more time to do practice questions
I have heard IM is intense and you have to study a lot for the NBME IM shelf. At least at my school. Can you switch it with a vacation month of less intense rotation?

Reactions: 1 user
I have heard IM is intense and you have to study a lot for the NBME IM shelf. At least at my school. Can you switch it with a vacation month of less intense rotation?
Ahh for sure. I wasn't sure if GI would be more chill. Unfortunately I think my next less intense rotation wouldn't be for a while.

Oof Jesus UWSA2 went horrible.

The whole thing felt super hard, easily the hardest Practice test I have taken. I struggled hard on the first two block, felt alright for the last two. Ironically I did the worst on the last block, almost 10% below average. ended up with a 222 which is just so disappointing. My exam is Thursday. Im going to list my practice exams scores below in the order taken. they were all taken about a week apart. Should I cancel my test? Postpone is not an option. I want to do Med Peds so I probably need at least a 220, I really really wanted a 230 though. Do I need to worry about being able to pass? Idk why I am so awful at these exams lol. This one felt wayyy more nitpicking than others I have taken. I could see all the zanki card questions but just could not remember enough to differentiate between the two I narrowed it down to.

EDIT: Jesus Christ I changed 8 from correct to incorrect

NBME 15: 190
NBME 16: 200
NBME 21: 211
UWSA1: 232
NBME 24: 214
NBME 25: 225
UWSA2: 222
free 120: taking this on tuesday

The whole thing felt super hard, easily the hardest Practice test I have taken. I struggled hard on the first two block, felt alright for the last two. Ironically I did the worst on the last block, almost 10% below average. ended up with a 222 which is just so disappointing. My exam is Thursday. Im going to list my practice exams scores below in the order taken. they were all taken about a week apart. Should I cancel my test? Postpone is not an option. I want to do Med Peds so I probably need at least a 220, I really really wanted a 230 though. Do I need to worry about being able to pass? Idk why I am so awful at these exams lol. This one felt wayyy more nitpicking than others I have taken. I could see all the zanki card questions but just could not remember enough to differentiate between the two I narrowed it down to.

how did you feel about NBME 25 vs NBME 21? thinkin of takin either of those tomorrow cuz i'm shaky about my UWSA 2 score

are your comlex scores out tomorrow? if so, could always wait and see,, and if you get a good score, then cancel. but if youre like me in the august release group....i suppose that wont help.

are your comlex scores out tomorrow? if so, could always wait and see,, and if you get a good score, then cancel. but if youre like me in the august release group....i suppose that wont help.
Im an august boy unfortunately

how did you feel about NBME 25 vs NBME 21? thinkin of takin either of those tomorrow cuz i'm shaky about my UWSA 2 score
Felt much better on those tbh. A lot of my mistakes on those were form misreading. a lot of my mistakes on this was getting it down to 2 and then choosing the wrong one.

Obviously not a top scorer here, but If it was me I would find a way to read all of First Aid by Wednesday night and then take it. Not trying to understand it, but just somehow, someway read the words on the page,maybe like from 4:30am to 8pm or something. I still think you'll probably get a 220. I think the most important thing is that the next 3.5 days should be absolute torture for you, and you feel really, really feel great just to be done on Friday morning. Again, take with a grain of salt, just throwing out an idea

Reactions: 1 users
Obviously not a top scorer here, but If it was me I would find a way to read all of First Aid by Wednesday night and then take it. Not trying to understand it, but just somehow, someway read the words on the page,maybe like from 4:30am to 8pm or something. I still think you'll probably get a 220. I think the most important thing is that the next 3.5 days should be absolute torture for you, and you feel really, really feel great just to be done on Friday morning. Again, take with a grain of salt,

Ill probs just make cards for my mistakes on UWSA2 and keep up with my weak spot reviews, then do Pathoma 1-3. I basically lost the past 3 days due to family stuff, maybe today was a fluke. If I totally **** up free 120, that will be my final decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think medical studies gave a solid suggestion. Though it's easier said than done. I personally am sick of being miserable studying for this test so will probably struggle when trying to do that too, in a week.

I agree you have a very good chance at >220. I think there's just so much variability in whether or not a test plays to your strengths or knowledge gaps. I'm nervous about that. Nothing to be done about it but keep working on them.

I think medical studies gave a solid suggestion. Though it's easier said than done. I personally am sick of being miserable studying for this test so will probably struggle when trying to do that too, in a week.

I agree you have a very good chance at >220. I think there's just so much variability in whether or not a test plays to your strengths or knowledge gaps. I'm nervous about that. Nothing to be done about it but keep working on them.
I don't think its a bad idea, I just wonder If I should try to be more targeted. When I have 30 questions I get down to 2, but get 24 of them wrong, I cant help but wonder if today was just a rough day. especially since I did not eat breakfast or lunch before I took the exam.

Maybe I am just trying to make myself feel better lol

I don't think its a bad idea, I just wonder If I should try to be more targeted. When I have 30 questions I get down to 2, but get 24 of them wrong, I cant help but wonder if today was just a rough day. especially since I did not eat breakfast or lunch before I took the exam.

Maybe I am just trying to make myself feel better lol

Eating and drinking before and during tests is HUUUUUGE. Change that. Unless you have a microbladder. You need an energy source!

And yeah whatever you think is most helpful to focus on. It might be helpful to focus in on certain subjects. When you're studying a disease or a med side effect it's helpful to know "this is differentiated from the similar thing by x". DILE is histones and SLE is smith. Epidural is lens and subdural is crescent. I have found that I've gotten a lot better at that after doing a lot of questions. Harder to figure out that piece just from FA or videos. That's what my narrow down to 2 issues comes down to usually anyway. I'm probably just preaching to the choir here.

Maybe unrelated to this topic, but can I ask why med/peds and not FM? I haven't looked too much into the specialty, but from what I understand it seems to only be relevant if you're interested in an academic career? I may be wrong, but either way maybe you can get some solace from the fact that having a passing step score is pretty much solid for FM, and you can always go that route if the chips don't fall where you'd like. Either way, I think you're probably looking at a 215-230 range depending on the day.

Maybe unrelated to this topic, but can I ask why med/peds and not FM? I haven't looked too much into the specialty, but from what I understand it seems to only be relevant if you're interested in an academic career? I may be wrong, but either way maybe you can get some solace from the fact that having a passing step score is pretty much solid for FM, and you can always go that route if the chips don't fall where you'd like. Either way, I think you're probably looking at a 215-230 range depending on the day.
I want to work as a hospitalist and from what I understand and from talking to residents, Med/Ped puts you in a better place to do that. Also has more specialty options in case I decide I still hate myself in 6 years. From what I understand they are also better equipped to handle the more critical cases that may walk through the door, and they spend more time on peds learning than a fam med residency. If I don't hit a 220 I'll probably have to make a choice between IM and Peds because as I said I think right now my end goal is to be a hospitalist. If my relationship falls apart though Ill prob go fam med and then run off to the literal wilderness. my goals and dreams vary depend on what stage of life I will be in.

I'm hoping the 120 can get me in the 220-230 range lol. Right now the predictor has me between 221-245 and I would be fine with any of those scores. I know if probably is not as accurate for those who have scored low like myself but NBME 18 (80% correct) showed that If I slow down and focus and don't shoot myself int he foot (really should have eaten breakfast/lunch) I can get a decent score. Maybe naive and over hopeful but that this point its all I got left lol

The real question is figuring out what to do different so that Step 2 can maybe be a comeback story for me.

Reactions: 5 users
don't shoot myself int he foot (really should have eaten breakfast/lunch)
I think you need to plan your test day out really well. Make sure you get enough sleep, wake up early, have a good breakfast like eggs or oatmeal or something. Plan out how you're going to take your breaks, bring protein bars instead of a big lunch so you don't crash. Just plan the day because it seems like that will help you a lot based on what you've said.

I think you need to plan your test day out really well. Make sure you get enough sleep, wake up early, have a good breakfast like eggs or oatmeal or something. Plan out how you're going to take your breaks, bring protein bars instead of a big lunch so you don't crash. Just plan the day because it seems like that will help you a lot based on what you've said.
100% agree. It made my comlex experience way better, never had so much energy during an exam before.

Aee the Gimmies on step 1 as straightforward as the ones on UWSAs? cause some of these were so easy that I spent extra time trying to figure out if it was a trick questions.

Also LOL at me seeing a rash after being outside and going immediately to Ricketsia and not poison ivy. I truly amaze myself sometimes

I want to work as a hospitalist and from what I understand and from talking to residents, Med/Ped puts you in a better place to do that. Also has more specialty options in case I decide I still hate myself in 6 years. From what I understand they are also better equipped to handle the more critical cases that may walk through the door, and they spend more time on peds learning than a fam med residency. If I don't hit a 220 I'll probably have to make a choice between IM and Peds because as I said I think right now my end goal is to be a hospitalist. If my relationship falls apart though Ill prob go fam med and then run off to the literal wilderness. my goals and dreams vary depend on what stage of life I will be in.

I'm hoping the 120 can get me in the 220-230 range lol. Right now the predictor has me between 221-245 and I would be fine with any of those scores. I know if probably is not as accurate for those who have scored low like myself but NBME 18 (80% correct) showed that If I slow down and focus and don't shoot myself int he foot (really should have eaten breakfast/lunch) I can get a decent score. Maybe naive and over hopeful but that this point its all I got left lol

The real question is figuring out what to do different so that Step 2 can maybe be a comeback story for me.

Random, but take care of yourself and what you want first! In hindsight, after my mid-preclinicals divorce, that’s the best advice I can give. If you have to make serious adjustments to your plans based on what another person wants, be *very* cautious and make sure you’d still be happy with the outcome. Other people are fickle and we’re in a place in life with high relationship failure rates. No matter what happens, you deserve to be happy with your life. :)

I think it’s very possible to hit a 220+ with where you are at. NBME 24 underpredicted me by 11 points, and it was my highest NBME. The fact that you have one higher is a good sign. Just hammer your weaknesses over this next week and you should be good to go!!

Random, but take care of yourself and what you want first! In hindsight, after my mid-preclinicals divorce, that’s the best advice I can give. If you have to make serious adjustments to your plans based on what another person wants, be *very* cautious and make sure you’d still be happy with the outcome. Other people are fickle and we’re in a place in life with high relationship failure rates. No matter what happens, you deserve to be happy with your life. :)

I think it’s very possible to hit a 220+ with where you are at. NBME 24 underpredicted me by 11 points, and it was my highest NBME. The fact that you have one higher is a good sign. Just hammer your weaknesses over this next week and you should be good to go!!
Don't know what I would do without yall lol

Alright finished my deep walk through, Lots of silly mistakes with a lack of thinking. Its fine. I wrote do "Think it through stupid" on my scrap paper for NBME 18 and that seemed to help so Ill def do that for free 120 and the real deal. Gotta get back into a heavier grind after losing the last 3 days cause of the whole family member dying thing. Soon I will delete zanki!

Watch this entire playlist before your exam:

Truly high yield! Highest yield video ever, covered all questions I missed on UWSA2.

We don;t know each other but I wouldn't redo Pathoma or bnb; 2 days from step. I will watch this entire playlist.

Go through this entire playlist before your exam:

Exam date: July 16 (a week from now). Goal: 220+

Today I got 216 on NBME 18....trying to score 220+. decent improvement since NBME 24 was like a 203 lol

So, if i were to postpone my exam, I have to do so by Saturday. Should I take UWSA 2 tomorrow even though I just did an NBME today (people typically suggest not taking them back to back so I wasn't sure) or postpone and save UWSA 2 for later

240 on UWSA2! The vignettes are written in a way that tricks you into overthinking when the actual answer is very simple.

Anyway exam's in a week.

Scores for reference:
NBME 17: 213
NBME 19: 221
NBME 21: 227
UWSA1: 245
NBME 22: 228
NBME 23: 210 (lol)
NBME 24: 233
NBME 18: 237
UWSA2: 240

Predictor has me on 240 but I don't know if I should trust that with all these overpredictions we've seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
240 on UWSA2! The vignettes are written in a way that tricks you into overthinking the questions.

Anyway exam's in a week.

Scores for reference:

Predictor has me on 240 but I don't know if I should trust that with all these overpredictions we've seen.
Yas good job! Can definitely agree with you about the overthinking lol

As for the predictor, I've more taken the mindset of "trust your CI" most people seem to at least be falling in that

Last edited:
Yas good job! Can definitely agree with you about the overthinking lol

As for the predictor, I've more taken the mindset of "trust your CI" most people seem to at least be falling in that
CI is 229 - 252. I will be happy with > 230

240 on UWSA2! The vignettes are written in a way that tricks you into overthinking when the actual answer is very simple.

Anyway exam's in a week.

Scores for reference:

A prediction of 240 with a UWSA2 of 240 and NBME 18 of 237 is a good time. You're gonna kill it!

• Love
For recent step1-takers, how representative was UWSA2 of your step1 form? The are literally 2 biostat questions, almost no immunology/pathology and hella lot difficult biochem

For recent step1-takers, how representative was UWSA2 of your step1 form? The are literally 2 biostat questions, almost no immunology/pathology and hella lot difficult biochem
Not at all. Barely had any biochem and the stuff I did have was more path related than all those questions about testing methods and stuff.

COMLEX scores are up! Passed with a 574 which was above my goal for what I want to do. So glad this is finally all over. And as promised:

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
COMLEX scores are up! Passed with a 574 which was above my goal for what I want to do. So glad this is finally all over. And as promised:

Yes step 2 let's goooo!

This gives me hope that I passed lol since you felt the same way as me after.

• Love
I just deleted all of my Step 1 decks and I am overwhelmed by this sense of freedom lol. Will likely keep FA since it is apparently still useful for Step 2 stuff but Pathoma will be retired and stored away (I can't bring myself to get rid of Dr. Sattar's masterpiece that singlehandedly taught me pathology).

Damn! Did you even miss any question on that test? Nice work! Now you can go with any specialty you want to any of the old AOA programs.

I feel like I missed a ton of questions. I thought I had done way better on step 1. I was just actually looking at Freida yesterday thinking I’d have to avoid the formerly AOA programs because I thought for sure my comlex was going to make me look bad.

Lol literally the 99th percentile. Jesus Christ

Nobody is more surprised than me. :laugh:

If anyone is curious:
COMSAE 102: 573 (to see if I’d pass the school one)
COMSAE 105: 559 (the school one I had to pass)

I took them both at the beginning of May and have not taken a comlex practice test of any sort since then. I figured UWorld and the NBMEs would be good enough. I guess they were!

Reactions: 5 users