USMLE Official 2020 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since one hasn't been started, figured I'd start this for all us M2s and M3s taking Step this coming year.

DO student interested in EM. Estimated test date is mid June.

Goal is 230+ but I'd be happy with 225+.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Watch this video:

The guys at Elite medical prep talk about how unrepresentative and unpredictive the new NBMEs are (they exclude 24 because it wasnt out yet) and to not use them as predictive exams

The NBMEs are trash. Out of the new ones (I took 2), my highest was 235, 20 points below my actual. Highest NBME was 18 at 247, and I honestly still think performance on it is the most predictive. What I mean by that is don't look at the 3 digit score because the curve is messed up now, but % correct. I say this because 18 felt similar to the real deal to me in test style and how I felt taking it. Again, all anecdotal.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Well I am at the hotel. Going to sign off until tmr. Super excited to finally get my chance to fail step 1. I hope you will all come and visit me in my cardboard box under the bridge!

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Because you did questions and lot of them :)

Most high scorers don't finish Zanki.

Disagree with own deck > Zanki. Never made my own decks for anything (except anatomy in M1 but trashed those as soon as it was over). The time sink to make them yourself just isn't worth it imo.

Well I am at the hotel. Going to sign off until tmr. Super excited to finally get my chance to fail step 1. I hope you will all come and visit me in my cardboard box under the bridge!
You got this bro. Positive thinking only! Youre going to do really well-just keep thinking about how you murdered the free 120

Reactions: 1 users
Because you did questions and lot of them :)

Most high scorers don't finish Zanki.
Maybe, but I doubt I would've gotten my score without it. Either way, my point was more that if you are interested in using flashcards, I think a premade deck is better than trying to make your own. Just my opinion either way.

anyone else took Level 1 felt sh*tty afterwards but ended up getting a good score? Bc I just took mine today and UMMMM wtf was that

ayoooooo. 2020 score predictor lol doesnt seem like its all too far off couple of outliers but overall not horrible

Attachments

• B47940ED-A599-4D0B-A7D0-93B9683BBDD6.png
    B47940ED-A599-4D0B-A7D0-93B9683BBDD6.png
    224.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
anyone else took Level 1 felt sh*tty afterwards but ended up getting a good score? Bc I just took mine today and UMMMM wtf was that

Based on my experience and reading the experience of others, your post-exam feelings have 0 correlation with your final score. I don't know anyone who took COMLEX and was like "yea that felt great"

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Internet strangers my mom just passed away. And it sounds horrible but I’m supposed to take Step 1 in 2 weeks and I couldn’t help but think about it hence why I’m here.

Edited to add: she was schizophrenic but normalized enough she lived independently-ish (alone but in my sister’s house, who lives with her spouse in their house), no known physical ailments so this was completely unexpected.

Losing a parent sucks. I am so sorry that happened to you.

What everyone else said. Don’t sweat it. I thought for sure I was going either be in the low 400s or have to retake it and I scored ~99th percentile.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
1 week out and not sure if I should push step back another week. Really wanted to break 230+. Taking NBME18 and UWSA2 in the next few days. Thoughts?

UWSA1 - 232
NBME 20 - 199
NBME 21 - 197
NBME 24 - 216 (felt way better taking it but still scored low)
Free 120 - 73%
62% Uworld first pass

Did zanki + UFAPS

Members don't see this ad :)
1 week out and not sure if I should push step back another week. Really wanted to break 230+. Taking NBME18 and UWSA2 in the next few days. Thoughts?

UWSA1 - 232
NBME 20 - 199
NBME 21 - 197
Free 120 - 73%
62% Uworld first pass

Did zanki + UFAPS
How many weeks do you have before you have to take? Do you have a deadline by your school? Is that 62% timed random or tutor untimed? 230+ is definitely without a doubt possible eventually but I wouldnt be super confident youll hit that if you took it tomorrow or within next few days. Overall the new NBMEs are garbage predictors so i wouldnt put too much stock into 20 and 21. 24 is a decent predictor but still underpredicts for many and UWSA1 can overpredict by up to 10-15 depending on how far out its taken. Take 18 and see how that goes but put more emphasis on your percent correct than the actual score since the curve is super harsh on it. Save UWSA2 in case you want to push back then you can use that as the ultimate predictor. Regardless you should check your subject specific percentiles on UWorld and hammer those videos on Boards and Beyond and another question bank and try and get through as many of your UWorld incorrects on those topics. Do not spend time on stuff you know! Only hit weak spots

It's very possible, chill w/ anki. Make flashcard of incorrect and do them, believe it or not; you learn by making your own flascards. Do only one block of Uword daily, and make sure you do as many NBMEs as possible.

Research has shown that doing any Qbank twice is low yield. In short,
- Do your Uword incorrect
- Do NBMEs + make flashcards of your incorrect.
- I improved my score by 18 pt in a 7 days; started w/ 218 on NBME 18 (I only did NBMEs after my free120)
- Because you have been doing Zanki, I would take your UW w/ a grain of salt

UWSA1 - 232
NBME 20 - 199
NBME 21 - 197
Free 120 - 73%
62% Uworld first pass

Did zanki + UFAPS

Lol got a 260 on NBME 18 yesterday (holy crap! did not expect) and then immediately afterwards got slammed with the worst migraine I've had in months.. like throwing up all night with an ice pack on my head sort of deal, with no signs of stopping anytime soon. Have only been able to review one NBME block and do like 200 anki cards since yesterday afternoon. Can dedicated get any worse? Just so ready to be done with this damn thing. So glad I moved my exam up a week.

How many weeks do you have before you have to take? Do you have a deadline by your school? Is that 62% timed random or tutor untimed? 230+ is definitely without a doubt possible eventually but I wouldnt be super confident youll hit that if you took it tomorrow or within next few days. Overall the new NBMEs are garbage predictors so i wouldnt put too much stock into 20 and 21. 24 is a decent predictor but still underpredicts for many and UWSA1 can overpredict by up to 10-15 depending on how far out its taken. Take 18 and see how that goes but put more emphasis on your percent correct than the actual score since the curve is super harsh on it. Save UWSA2 in case you want to push back then you can use that as the ultimate predictor. Regardless you should check your subject specific percentiles on UWorld and hammer those videos on Boards and Beyond and another question bank and try and get through as many of your UWorld incorrects on those topics. Do not spend time on stuff you know! Only hit weak spots

1 week left and the 62% was all random timed. And I agree with your later points, I've been re-watching/reading weak topics. I took UWSA1 around 8 weeks ago so its pretty disappointing to only see lower scores since then lol.

Reactions: 1 user
It's very possible, chill w/ anki. Make flashcard of incorrect and do them, believe it or not; you learn by making your own flascards. Do only one block of Uword daily, and make sure you do as many NBMEs as possible.

Research has shown that doing any Qbank twice is low yield. In short,
- Do your Uword incorrect
- Do NBMEs + make flashcards of your incorrect.
- I improved my score by 18 pt in a 7 days; started w/ 218 on NBME 18 (I only did NBMEs after my free120)
- Because you have been doing Zanki, I would take your UW w/ a grain of salt

Do you think it would be worthwhile to use old (free) NBMEs as extra questions rather than just uworld incorrects?

Do you think it would be worthwhile to use old (free) NBMEs as extra questions rather than just uworld incorrects?
New questions>UWorld incorrects>>>>>old NBMEs. You cant learn from NBMEs they are useless other than tracking progress. You need to learn right now vs tracking progress since you know you need to improve your score slightly to hit that 230+

Hey yall just wanted throw my scores on here. im one of the covid cancelled babies so i took the new nbmes in march and then took 2 months off just maturing some zanki and lolnotacop. i just did half my surg rotation in june and now i popped out of rotations for a 3 and a half week dedicated. i finished half of uworld in my first dedicated then i just finished the rest of it this week. i was scoring about 57-70% on uworld recently.
UW 58%
NBME 17 198 taken 3 weeks out not sure about % correct
UWSA 1 241 taken 4 days after 17 75% correct
UWSA 2 234 taken 1 week out 7/15 71 % correct
taking nbme 18 and 120 on monday

i honestly missed some really easy questions on UWSA 2 and i think once i review some of that material i should be good. i didnt find uwsa 2 to be that good tbh. not enough biostats or social science questions heavy on the neuro and biochem. my numbers are all over the place so i really dont know what to expect going into this. i also should reiterate im a covid cancel so im not looking for a high score i just wanna pass. goal 230 want to do EM but im open to anything. happy with literally anything above 194 because im only doing a 3 week dedicated where i have been only able to study 8-7 every day and my weekends are not really productive because my library is closed then. one question is should i do nbme blocks or do my incorrects on uworld? i feel like if i do a mix of the free nbme and uworld incorrects ill see both styles of questions.

Hey it’s your boy oofin on his lunch break It’s fine, but board exams just feel so rude lol. I’d rather pay 600 bucks twice for a separate phys and path step 1

Reactions: 10 users
Hey yall just wanted throw my scores on here. im one of the covid cancelled babies so i took the new nbmes in march and then took 2 months off just maturing some zanki and lolnotacop. i just did half my surg rotation in june and now i popped out of rotations for a 3 and a half week dedicated. i finished half of uworld in my first dedicated then i just finished the rest of it this week. i was scoring about 57-70% on uworld recently.
UW 58%
NBME 17 198 taken 3 weeks out not sure about % correct
UWSA 1 241 taken 4 days after 17 75% correct
UWSA 2 234 taken 1 week out 7/15 71 % correct
taking nbme 18 and 120 on monday

i honestly missed some really easy questions on UWSA 2 and i think once i review some of that material i should be good. i didnt find uwsa 2 to be that good tbh. not enough biostats or social science questions heavy on the neuro and biochem. my numbers are all over the place so i really dont know what to expect going into this. i also should reiterate im a covid cancel so im not looking for a high score i just wanna pass. goal 230 want to do EM but im open to anything. happy with literally anything above 194 because im only doing a 3 week dedicated where i have been only able to study 8-7 every day and my weekends are not really productive because my library is closed then. one question is should i do nbme blocks or do my incorrects on uworld? i feel like if i do a mix of the free nbme and uworld incorrects ill see both styles of questions.
Are bchem and neuro your weaknesses? Hammer those if they are

Lol got a 260 on NBME 18 yesterday (holy crap! did not expect) and then immediately afterwards got slammed with the worst migraine I've had in months.. like throwing up all night with an ice pack on my head sort of deal, with no signs of stopping anytime soon. Have only been able to review one NBME block and do like 200 anki cards since yesterday afternoon. Can dedicated get any worse? Just so ready to be done with this damn thing. So glad I moved my exam up a week.
Dude if youre pumpin out 260s on NBMEs youre ready af for this test lol go murder it

Dude if youre pumpin out 260s on NBMEs youre ready af for this test lol go murder it

Thanks dude, I hope so. Gunning for a surgical subspecialty so really hope I can perform on test day. I'm super neurotic and don't wanna deal with the anxiety of trying to push it closer again, just gonna keep grinding for the next 1.5 weeks. My new test date I think is the same as yours (July 27th), looking at your posts I'm sure you're gonna kill it too

Are bchem and neuro your weaknesses? Hammer those if they are
a little bit. i think my biggest weakness are heme, renal and biostats its the only stuff i didnt really do on zanki. i think i did that well on uwsa 2 because im pretty good with neuro and biochem (granted not amazing). so im just concerned this isnt really indicative of how ill do on the real deal. we shall see next monday on 18. im also just worried im just gonna do worse on nbmes vs uwsa and i dont really know what that means.

Thanks dude, I hope so. Gunning for a surgical subspecialty so really hope I can perform on test day. I'm super neurotic and don't wanna deal with the anxiety of trying to push it closer again, just gonna keep grinding for the next 1.5 weeks. My new test date I think is the same as yours (July 27th), looking at your posts I'm sure you're gonna kill it too
A 260 on 18 has gotta be like 95+% correct no? You're gonna kill it.

a little bit. i think my biggest weakness are heme, renal and biostats its the only stuff i didnt really do on zanki. i think i did that well on uwsa 2 because im pretty good with neuro and biochem (granted not amazing). so im just concerned this isnt really indicative of how ill do on the real deal. we shall see next monday on 18. im also just worried im just gonna do worse on nbmes vs uwsa and i dont really know what that means.
Dont get worked up about the actual score on 18 (REALLY harsh and unnecessary curve). Just focus on the percent correct. Based on where you are at with UW and assessments I think that anywhere within the range of 70-80% correct on 18 would be a good goal for you right now and would be completely attainable

Thanks man! Yeah I had to change my date to the 27th as well! I am praying for a 250+ but anything 245+ i'll still sleep at night. Trying for as high of a tier academic IM program as possible as I'm trying to match GI after. I told my school my goal was a 250+ and they were like "uhh why? you are shooting for IM" I just don't think they realized as a DO program how competitive mid to upper tier academic IM programs are

There are not representative of what you would see on the test but it's still better than Uworld. You have get used to the NBMEs style. I wouldn't do them 2,3 days before your exam. But I would say it's better than doing Uword. Do them and make incorrect and understand why you got them wrong (this is very important).

I kept on missing questions because I knew too much. I will share a document once I get home. Currently at the hospital.

But do NBMEs and understand why you are getting the question wrong. Uword is too straight forward! NBMEs is full of tricks, good dsitractor, etc...

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Well it’s done. Idk how to even feel. I’m dead. It’s hard, it’s a hard exam. Maybe I’ve been spoiled from getting instant scores back on NBME and UW. Some of the easy ones felt like a slap in the face. Was not tested on what I thought I would be, honestly shocked.
Biggest takeaway: I should’ve just moved up my exam once I was too fried to do my zanki reviews. Felt like my first two blocks were heavy on info that was in those. Idk man. Just like comlex it feels a little anticlimactic

Reactions: 9 users
Well it’s done. Idk how to even feel. I’m dead. It’s hard, it’s a hard exam. Maybe I’ve been spoiled from getting instant scores back on NBME and UW. Some of the easy ones felt like a slap in the face. Was not tested on what I thought I would be, honestly shocked.
Biggest takeaway: I should’ve just moved up my exam once I was too fried to do my zanki reviews. Felt like my first two blocks were heavy on info that was in those. Idk man. Just like comlex it feels a little anticlimactic
I think you'll hit your goal bro lol so many people feel like crap after taking both COMLEX and Step. Anecdotal as it may be but all of my friends that walked out feeling amazing underperformed and the ones that walked out feeling like crap over performed. I think after that 80% free 120 you should feel good about it. Its all over now though so you can relax for a while

Good job man! I'm sure you did great. Enjoy your freedom

You're free!!! Honestly looking back at it, I wish I moved my exam up too.

Zanki is the biggest time sink during dedicated. Lots of people on this thread stop doing pre-made deck . Made their own incorrect during dedicated and did extremely well.

I know how you feel. I have 1.3M Anki reviews. Can you imagine the number of questions I could have done instead of playing a flashcard game?

Anki with moderation is key. Most of the people scoring in the 270 are doing it w/o Anki. Some, if not most, did use Anki to make flashcards of their incorrect. I have yet to hear of anyone w/ a 270 that kept up w/ their pre-made deck during dedicated. Furthermore, most Zankiers/ LY.er can't break 230 w/o questions. They have to do questions!

They give you a false sense of security.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Lol you probably killed it. I felt like I aced mine. Based on what I have seen reddit, most high scorers come out feeling like they tanked the exam.

Zanki is the biggest time sink during dedicated. Lots of people on this thread stop doing pre made deck . Made their own incorrect during dedicated and did extremely well.

I know how you feel. I have 1.3M Anki reviews. Can you imagine the amount of question I could have done instead of playing a flashcard game?

Anki with moderation is key. Lots of people scored in the 270 w/o doing Anki. Some of those people used Anki to make flashcards of their incorrect. As a matter of fact, I personally have yet to hear of someone who made it into the 270 but using and keeping up with their pre made deck during dedicated. Furthmore, I have yet to hear of someone scoring in the 230+ but doing a pre made deck alone.

They give you a false sense of security.
Let's get the record straight here. Very few people are scoring 270. But I do agree with the general principle of what your saying aha.

SAME. I feel like it was just random facts and then a fat amount of obscure questions on one particular organ system that I didn't reallly expect to be the main focus.

For those of you that took UWSA1 and 2 already. How did 2 feel compared to 1. I know the curves easier on 1 but did they feel about the same difficulty wise? Thats what I have been hearing

Felt 2 was harder than 1 (scored 264 on both - took 1 6 months out, and took 2 1 month out; real deal = 253).

Felt 2 was harder than 1 (scored 264 on both - took 1 6 months out, and took 2 1 month out; real deal = 253).
fml really? ughhhhhhhhhhhhh. I got an 80% on UWSA1 1 month out and have been averaging 77-87% on my UW blocks daily so Im praying I can get at least 80% overall on 2. Taking it tmrw and my exam is in a week. Think its reasonable to hit 250 on 2?

fml really? ughhhhhhhhhhhhh. I got an 80% on UWSA1 1 month out and have been averaging 77-87% on my UW blocks daily so Im praying I can get at least 80% overall on 2. Taking it tmrw and my exam is in a week. Think its reasonable to hit 250 on 2?

nah. 260 for you

yah definitely just keep in mind that uwsa's arent that representative of real NBME's these days (seem to be overpredicting 5-10 pts)

2 felt harder! An in the end overpredicted me by 10 points. Lolz

For those of you that took UWSA1 and 2 already. How did 2 feel compared to 1. I know the curves easier on 1 but did they feel about the same difficulty wise? Thats what I have been hearing
+1 vote for 2 being more difficult, especially the middle blocks if I remember correctly