USMLE Official 2020 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since one hasn't been started, figured I'd start this for all us M2s and M3s taking Step this coming year.

DO student interested in EM. Estimated test date is mid June.

Goal is 230+ but I'd be happy with 225+.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
80% on free120! Took it at the prometric center. It was a good experience overall, and I highly suggest it for everyone that has the time.

blocks were 85/68/88

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
@calivianya - thanks so much.any advice for mE?

I am on Renal atm, and then heme, gi, and public health. WOrried that I forgot MSS, Nuero and Cardio RESP THAT have already reviewied. Should focus on completely renal heme and then start doing mixed blocks? I have also OMM and 8 hours a week work of rotation online. I have OMM rotation for two weeks. Test date was in August 20 (trying to move it) but having not done any practice tests etc and been on renal physio for 2 weeks and just finished it.

Members don't see this ad :)
80% on free120! Took it at the prometric center. It was a good experience overall, and I highly suggest it for everyone that has the time.

blocks were 85/68/88
kicking ass bro damn! Shoutout for the killer score on block 3, that was my worst one.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I did not have to do anything weird to confirm my appointment for Step 1 right?I printed out my permit, I've called and made sure I am on the roster, Im good to go?

Reactions: 1 users
I mean I disagree, I though 18 was the hardest NBME I took.
I thought it was hard too but i just think the new NBMEs (minus 24) are just extremely unfair and hard and unrepresentative/unpredictive at scores under 240. There are tons of people that dont break 240 on the New NBMEs and get 240s and 250s on the real thing

I did not have to do anything weird to confirm my appointment for Step 1 right?I printed out my permit, I've called and made sure I am on the roster, Im good to go?
Nah I would just print out the appointment confirmation to be 100% sure

@calivianya - thanks so much.any advice for mE?

I am on Renal atm, and then heme, gi, and public health. WOrried that I forgot MSS, Nuero and Cardio RESP THAT have already reviewied. Should focus on completely renal heme and then start doing mixed blocks? I have also OMM and 8 hours a week work of rotation online. I have OMM rotation for two weeks. Test date was in August 20 (trying to move it) but having not done any practice tests etc and been on renal physio for 2 weeks and just finished it.

I would do both - focus on the systems you haven’t gone through yet, but keep doing random blocks every day. Even if it’s just a 20 question half block, do *some* random uworld questions every day. It will help to keep you current on everything, so you won’t have to worry as much about forgetting the stuff you’ve already reviewed since you’ll be seeing it more often.

It might tank your uworld percent when you get stuff you haven’t reviewed yet but that’s okay. Mine was just alright compared to other people’s here (65%) but I still did fine. Practice your biostats math crap and study your dermatomes, spinal levels, and viscerosomatics hard!

I didn’t have anything with me but my permit and it was fine. Sounds like you’re good to go!

Members don't see this ad :)
1594826414155.png

Here is the breakdown
@ohmanwaddup

What was your predicted? That's still an amazing score!

At least you still fell within your CI. I understand the disappointment, the predictor overshot me by about 7 and while I'm happy with my score, it would've been nice to land closer to my predicted. The predictor has been all over the place this year.

Internet strangers my mom just passed away. And it sounds horrible but I’m supposed to take Step 1 in 2 weeks and I couldn’t help but think about it hence why I’m here.

Edited to add: she was schizophrenic but normalized enough she lived independently-ish (alone but in my sister’s house, who lives with her spouse in their house), no known physical ailments so this was completely unexpected.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users
Man, I'm pretty bummed, not gonna line :/
Upper 240s is still a baller score man. I know you were shooting for 250+ but it could have been way worse and you got in the 230s then you would have been SUPER upset. Its really rare but I have seen people predicted in the 250s hit 230s. Just be glad that you literally have every specialty open to you still and youre still a top performer. Being in the high 240s is still an extremely difficult feat to accomplish and most people can barely break 230s. I would be a little disappointed I guess but i would definitely still be pleased with that score. Youll be all good homie you worked hard and you were still within your CI!!

Reactions: 5 users
Upper 240s is still a baller score man. I know you were shooting for 250+ but it could have been way worse and you got in the 230s then you would have been SUPER upset. Its really rare but I have seen people predicted in the 250s hit 230s. Just be glad that you literally have every specialty open to you still and youre still a top performer. Being in the high 240s is still an extremely difficult feat to accomplish and most people can barely break 230s. I would be a little disappointed I guess but i would definitely still be pleased with that score. Youll be all good homie you worked hard and you were still within your CI!!
I hear you. It just like every third person on reddit got a 260.

Internet strangers my mom just passed away. And it sounds horrible but I’m supposed to take Step 1 in 2 weeks and I couldn’t help but think about it hence why I’m here.
I'm very sorry to hear this sunshinefl.

Reactions: 2 users
I hear you. It just like every third person on reddit got a 260.
It looks like you did underperform and/or get unlucky on test day relative to how crazy prepared you were which sucks. I hope there's some solace in the fact that ~75th percentile can more than likely get you where you want to go :)

Complete breakdown of my practice scores and real score:

NBME15-205(Baseline)-7 weeks out
NBME 16-225-4 weeks out
NBME 17-213-3 weeks out
NBME19-209(yikes-but harsh curve)-2 weeks out
U world percentage- 71%(first pass was around 60%)
Free 120-79%-4 days out
UWSA1-237-1 week out
UWSA2-230- 3 days out
Real deal-234(7/1/20)

uwsa2 and uwsa1 were most predictive. Nbme scores usually underpredict, also didn’t take a single new nbme or 18. Exam felt like a mix of nbme and uwsa

Reactions: 4 users
ohmanwhatup i know the last thing you probably are looking for is another advice post. But this is last time logging in until tomorrow, so... I think the key for tomorrow is not getting distracted by the questions you don't know and being completely laser focused on the question at hand. Hypothetically, You could have a situation where you feel like you're guessing on almost every single question and still get a 230 (225 +- 5 for the lack of precision of any standardized test). Having a confident nondistracted feeling on every question could be a 5 point difference. You can't let whether you feel like you're getting most of the questions right or wrong effect your morale and energy for the current question. That one question you are doing at the moment is so important. And like everyone said, hope you eat well, sleep well and are psyched to get this test!! Good luck and thanks so much for all the posts!

Last edited:
Complete breakdown of my practice scores and real score:

NBME15-205(Baseline)-7 weeks out
NBME 16-225-4 weeks out
NBME 17-213-3 weeks out
NBME19-209(yikes-but harsh curve)-2 weeks out
U world percentage- 71%(first pass was around 60%)
Free 120-79%-4 days out
UWSA1-237-1 week out
UWSA2-230- 3 days out
Real deal-234(7/1/20)

uwsa2 and uwsa1 were most predictive. Nbme scores usually underpredict, also didn’t take a single new nbme or 18. Exam felt like a mix of nbme and uwsa
Do you know what you were predicted at and how do you feel about your score? My goal is a 235 but let's be real I'd give up my (future) firstborn and throw in all my other kids as a bonus for that score at this point.

I am so sorry. My heart just broke reading this. Sending thoughts/prayers/whatever you believe in your way. I know we're just internet strangers like you say, but if we can help at all let us know.

Reactions: 4 users
Do you know what you were predicted at and how do you feel about your score? My goal is a 235 but let's be real I'd give up my (future) firstborn and throw in all my other kids as a bonus for that score at this point.
Honestly I didn’t use the predictor so I have no clue, I would reckon it would be between 230-237(my uwsa scores). I am happy about my score as I was aiming for atleast a 230! You can do this!!!! Was scared that uwsa2 would over-predict me by a lot, so have faith in your practice scores.

I'm so, so sorry, sunshinefl. Thanks so much for posting this on here. This video below has helped me in the past
I rewatch it from time to time

• Dislike

I'm so sorry for your loss. Boards are tough enough in completely normal circumstances but suffering a tragedy like this on top of that is unimaginable. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

I hear you. I think it just shows that's nothing guaranteed. And the most conservative prediction would be the NBMEs

I think a trend we're starting to see is that the NBME average represents your floor so if you're hitting a score you would be happy with on those then you're good to go. I scored closer to my NBMEs than UWorld but obviously everyone is different and luck plays a huge part in it. Some people truly just get unlucky on exam day and it sucks. The SEE on our reports even says you could realistically score within a range of 16(!) on any given day with any given form.

I think a trend we're starting to see is that the NBME average represents your floor so if you're hitting a score you would be happy with on those then you're good to go. I scored closer to my NBMEs than UWorld but obviously everyone is different and luck plays a huge part in it. Some people truly just get unlucky on exam day and it sucks. The SEE on our reports even says you could realistically score within a range of 16(!) on any given day with any given form.
Its really disturbing that Step turns out this way. The fact that luck or misfortune can be a matter of career choice is really stupid and frustrating. Someone could go in one day score a 235 and be nixed from ortho or surgical specialties and then 2 days later take another form and get a 250 and be able to do surgery. Such a flawed system. How would one fix the scoring system without making it pass fail?

Its really disturbing that Step turns out this way. The fact that luck or misfortune can be a matter of career choice is really stupid and frustrating. Someone could go in one day score a 235 and be nixed from ortho or surgical specialties and then 2 days later take another form and get a 250 and be able to do surgery. Such a flawed system. How would one fix the scoring system without making it pass fail?

I wouldn't know the details but they'd have to fundamentally change the test to make outcomes more consistent. The new MCAT gives you a SEM of +/-2. USMLE has a SEM of +/-8 for Step 1-3. Way more variability.

Also testing Friday and reading all these stories of people who fell under their CI on Reddit is doing wonders for my anxiety...

Also testing Friday and reading all these stories of people who fell under their CI on Reddit is doing wonders for my anxiety...
Ignore it. Everything is an anecdote, and typically the people posting are those who were disappointed. I fell at the upper limit of my CI, as did many others. A lot of others were right at their predicted. My point is, it's all anecdotal and worrying about it is just going to stress you out, and that in itself will affect your performance.

I wouldn't know the details but they'd have to fundamentally change the test to make outcomes more consistent. The new MCAT gives you a SEM of +/-2. USMLE has a SEM of +/-8 for Step 1-3. Way more variability.

This process is so individualized and what happens to other people is really inconsequential in terms of what happens to you. I fell below my predicted but @fldoctorgirl beat hers by a decent margin and that's just two examples in this thread. Just because it happened to someone else doesn't mean it will happen to you! And the predictor isn't the end all be all so just trust that you have prepared to the best of your ability and go into the exam with a clear head. You got this!

Yeah it's definitely frustrating. I don't think Step is a perfect tool for stratification by any means but the reason I'm against P/F is because we don't have anything better atm to take it's place. But it's really really unfortunate that one bad day can drastically alter your career trajectory when you could theoretically perform so differently the very next day! I'm not sure what the answer is and I'm glad it's not up to me to make these decisions.

Take home points from this thread and reddits:

1. Questions >>> own deck >>> Zanki
2. NBMEs >>> Uword

Last edited:

Edited to add: she was schizophrenic but normalized enough she lived independently-ish (alone but in my sister’s house, who lives with her spouse in their house), no known physical ailments so this was completely unexpected.

We're internet strangers but I felt immense sadness reading this. So sorry for your loss @sunshinefl, wishing you the best

2. NBMEs >>> Uword
Can we revise this and say NBME 18 21 and 24 or any of the old NBMEs aka basically any NBME except 19 20and 22 which are literally three of the most garbage exams ive ever seen and dont seem predictive at all (underpredicting people by 15-25+)

Last edited:
Can we revise this and say NBME 18 21 and 24 or any of the old NBMEs aka basically any NBME except 19 20 and 22 which are literally three of the most garbage exams ive ever seen and dont seem predictive at all (underpredicting people by 15-25+)
What about nbme 23??

Can we revise this and say NBME 18 21 and 24 or any of the old NBMEs? 19 20 and 22 are literally three of the most garbage exams ive ever seen and dont seem predictive at all
It's crazy my baseline was a 230 on the CBSE. I wouldn't worry about 19. But 20 and 22 are fair game I think. All around I think you just want to be as consistent as possible.

2. NBMEs >>> Uword
Disagree with own deck > Zanki. Never made my own decks for anything (except anatomy in M1 but trashed those as soon as it was over). The time sink to make them yourself just isn't worth it imo.

It's crazy my baseline was a 230 on the CBSE. I wouldn't worry about 19. But 20 and 22 are fair game I think. All around I think you just want to be as consistent as possible.
Watch this video:

The guys at Elite medical prep talk about how unrepresentative and unpredictive the new NBMEs are (they exclude 24 because it wasnt out yet) and to not use them as predictive exams because they focus on information that is crazy low yield and more Step 2 and 3 material because they ran out of stuff to test due to preventing repeats