Official 2020 Step 2 CK Experiences With Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets get this started. You know the routine.
Mid Tier MD
Step 1 250-255
mid tier everything.

I need 10 more points compared to my step 1

Not a bad idea to talk about shelves either.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
New Free 120 was 76%
Step 1: 230-234
Actual Step 2: 255-259

I guess I got lucky--got above both UWSAs. It's nice to finally have done pretty well on something. The biggest change I made was NOT using premade anki decks as religiously and highly focusing on questions while making my own cards. I have an average memory, so anki is still highly useful for me in retaining information. But, I do not think there is utility in endlessly beating yourself to death with premade anki cards (ie zanki). I focused on concepts and then memorized as necessary. That being said, I did use Tzanki for shelf exams to get initial exposure on rotation but I did not maintain those decks throughout the year. I completed UWorld by section for every shelf exam as well. I tried to study mostly during clinic downtime in 3rd year and took most nights and weekends off and did not kill myself at all. I focused a lot on personal hobbies and chilling in 3rd year because I was extremely burned out from step 1. Back in second year, I spent 5-8 hrs a day doing zanki on top of class work and I was not about to do that again in 3rd year especially since it didn't lend the expected results for my actual step 1 score. I had a fairly long dedicated period of about 7 weeks--so that helped as well. Anyways, don't kill yourselves and stop obsessing over doing the same anki deck as everyone else is the moral of the story!
Love this. I am so burntout from step 1 i can barely get through 20 questions after my long days at the hospital lol and on top of that trying to get through OME vids. My goal has been to utilize as much of the down time during the day as possible and try to be efficient since I know once I clock out at the end of the day im shot. Trying to do a premade deck as an additional resource on top of OME and questions just makes me wanna vomit lmao my eventual goal is to do at least the same or better on my step 2 than step 1 as I was very happy with my step 1 score. Cheers man and congrats on that baller score!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all,

I was hoping I could get some input on my current Step 2 CK scheduling plans. First, I’m a US MD student and strong step 1 (255-265) . Applying for IM.

Right now, my step 2 CK is scheduled for October 6, which means that if all goes in my favor I would maybe have the score the week of October 21st. However, I’m going to be stuck in a rotation until September 25, meaning I have to study after my shifts. It’s making me a bit uneasy because ideally I would have some dedicated time to study.

I was considering pushing it to either the following week (October 13ish) or a week after that, but that would mean my score won’t be back until after October 21.

I’m not too informed on the process how programs receive applications, but based on what I’ve read it seems that applicants who don’t have their step 2 ck scores in are marked as incomplete, meaning that they don’t even look at those applications unless they refresh their list (which they may not even do?)

I know that this cycle will be unique from the rest, but I would appreciate if anyone could give some insight into the impact a late step 2 ck score has on the eras application.

Hey all,

I was hoping I could get some input on my current Step 2 CK scheduling plans. First, I’m a US MD student and strong step 1 (255-265) . Applying for IM.

Right now, my step 2 CK is scheduled for October 6, which means that if all goes in my favor I would maybe have the score the week of October 21st. However, I’m going to be stuck in a rotation until September 25, meaning I have to study after my shifts. It’s making me a bit uneasy because ideally I would have some dedicated time to study.

I was considering pushing it to either the following week (October 13ish) or a week after that, but that would mean my score won’t be back until after October 21.

I’m not too informed on the process how programs receive applications, but based on what I’ve read it seems that applicants who don’t have their step 2 ck scores in are marked as incomplete, meaning that they don’t even look at those applications unless they refresh their list (which they may not even do?)

I know that this cycle will be unique from the rest, but I would appreciate if anyone could give some insight into the impact a late step 2 ck score has on the eras application.
I'm not sure if they'd be marked as incomplete. None of my ortho friends are applying with a step 2 till far later in the cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Need some advice y'all. Not sitting pretty with my board prep and really nervous/unsure about where to go from here.

I took UWSA 1 today and scored a 217. I took NBME 7 last week and scored a 220. I took NBME 8 in May and failed by a few points. I had an EM audition I could not back out of in late June and as such I delayed my CK both because of that audition and also I knew my prep was not where it needed it to be.

Since then, I completed UW 1st pass at 59% mostly on tutor, timed. I am doing only my incorrects and so have a 67% on timed, random. I have done 60% of AMBOSS and am at 61st percentile but have been using that on random, tutor mode. I also have been doing Cheesy Dorian regularly for about 2-3 hours per day.

My exam is in 18 days (10/01). Today I felt like I got the wind knocked out of me. I was frustrated at the questions and it affected my confidence as I was going through the questions. I scored a 243 on Step 1 last year (COMLEX Level 1 was 538). I am taking COMLEX Level 2 a few days after my scheduled CK date. I am applying to EM and so taking CK is a priority. Based on the NRMP data, if I can even get a 220 on the real deal I think I have a good shot at EM.

What should I do? I have half a mind to not review my UWSA 1 and re take next weekend? Just look over my score report and go from there. I have NBME 6, UWSA 2, and Free 120 left to take. I can tell I am a little burnt out as I study 5 hours a day usually whereas for Step 1 last year I could pull 7-8 hours easily. I can't tell if my score suggests I have a foundational knowledge problem or a test-taking strategy problem? I have been using Anki to review concepts, but maybe it is test-taking. So, on the other hand I wonder if I should abandon Anki and start doing like 140 or so questions per day of UW and AMBOSS instead. I mean, should I delay my CK even more? I feel like I need to have that in tow for ERAS, but if I take UWSA 6 days out and do poorly -- well I don't know what to do in that scenario...

I don't think I can't not take CK given the increased competitiveness of EM and I actually think my COMLEX Level 2 score will end up being in the low 500s anyways.

Thanks for any advice coming my way.

Edit: Not gonna re-do, gonna review it.

Last edited:
Need some advice y'all. Not sitting pretty with my board prep and really nervous/unsure about where to go from here.

I took UWSA 1 today and scored a 217. I took NBME 7 last week and scored a 220. I took NBME 8 in May and failed by a few points. I had an EM audition I could not back out of in late June and as such I delayed my CK both because of that audition and also I knew my prep was not where it needed it to be.

Since then, I completed UW 1st pass at 59% mostly on tutor, timed. I am doing only my incorrects and so have a 67% on timed, random. I have done 60% of AMBOSS and am at 61st percentile but have been using that on random, tutor mode. I also have been doing Cheesy Dorian regularly for about 2-3 hours per day.

My exam is in 18 days (10/01). Today I felt like I got the wind knocked out of me. I was frustrated at the questions and it affected my confidence as I was going through the questions. I scored a 243 on Step 1 last year (COMLEX Level 1 was 538). I am taking COMLEX Level 2 a few days after my scheduled CK date. I am applying to EM and so taking CK is a priority. Based on the NRMP data, if I can even get a 220 on the real deal I think I have a good shot at EM.

What should I do? I have half a mind to not review my UWSA 1 and re take next weekend? Just look over my score report and go from there. I have NBME 6, UWSA 2, and Free 120 left to take. I can tell I am a little burnt out as I study 5 hours a day usually whereas for Step 1 last year I could pull 7-8 hours easily. I can't tell if my score suggests I have a foundational knowledge problem or a test-taking strategy problem? I have been using Anki to review concepts, but maybe it is test-taking. So, on the other hand I wonder if I should abandon Anki and start doing like 140 or so questions per day of UW and AMBOSS instead. I mean, should I delay my CK even more? I feel like I need to have that in tow for ERAS, but if I take UWSA 6 days out and do poorly -- well I don't know what to do in that scenario...

I don't think I can't not take CK given the increased competitiveness of EM and I actually think my COMLEX Level 2 score will end up being in the low 500s anyways.

might be hard to do, but if your burnt out taking a day off might be the best thing. Go do something you enjoy, get your mind off of things for a while.

personally I chose to focus on questions rather than flashcards. But try to make a list or short flashcards on the recurrent things that you miss that you know are high yield. Forget details, those won’t help, only things that have come up again and again and that you struggle with. Something to guide your last day or two of review before the test.

Your step 1 puts you in a really good spot as far as scores go for EM. Most people I’ve talked to feel like pushing tests back wouldn’t have helped them nearly as much as going in with a clear head the day of the exam. so don’t overload your days. A friend of mine told me to learn topics well, don’t just cover a lot of topics. I think that is really good advice but hard to follow when you get closer to test day.

If you don’t review the test soon after you do it, I would just move on and try to do another one and review that.

Just my .02. Sorry you still have to stress about this test.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all,

It sounds like you are a really good candidate for pushing step 2 off til later. But don’t take it from me. I didnt kill step 1 so I never looked into that option. I also am not going into IM so I don’t know if they look down on that at all.

I know people do push it off for certain specialties. So my advice is to look for someone in a year a head of you for advice. Either from your school or making a post on here. Or reaching out to Programs and explain that this year messed up your schedule and see if they think you should prioritize taking it before apps go in.
Hopefully others have better advice for you. Good luck though!

It sounds like you are a really good candidate for pushing step 2 off til later. But don’t take it from me. I didnt kill step 1 so I never looked into that option. I also am not going into IM so I don’t know if they look down on that at all.

I know people do push it off for certain specialties. So my advice is to look for someone in a year a head of you for advice. Either from your school or making a post on here. Or reaching out to Programs and explain that this year messed up your schedule and see if they think you should prioritize taking it before apps go in.
Hopefully others have better advice for you. Good luck though!

Thank you. I was actually hoping I could hear from people who took their Step 2 late but it's kind of hard to find such individuals. I'm going to have to find out if it is indeed marked as incomplete.

UWSA2 is the best gauge of how you'll do. I did within 10 pts of UWSA2 for both Steps (was on the dot for Step 1 for me). If you get < 220 on UWSA2, I would suggest delaying it because the 10 pt differential imo could go the way you don't want it to go.

I decided to push my step 2 ck a week later, October 13. I figured having a higher score is better than just having it on time.

I heard that not having a step 2 ck score uploaded doesn’t mark your application as incomplete. Is this true, or depends if the school requires a step 2 ck score prior to offering interview invites.

I decided to push my step 2 ck a week later, October 13. I figured having a higher score is better than just having it on time.

I heard that not having a step 2 ck score uploaded doesn’t mark your application as incomplete. Is this true, or depends if the school requires a step 2 ck score prior to offering interview invites.
Ive attended a few open houses for IM. Most are pretty understanding if you do not have step 2CK. They did have a large emphasis on having all scores and LORs by january though.

I just want to make sure I understand the process correctly. When I get my Step 2 CK score back, is it automatically updated to my ERAS and sent to programs? The reason why i'm confused is because I heard on reddit that the score won't be available to programs until they "update their list". Meaning, since they already run through a ton of applications when ERAS opens, there is a chance they won't "update the list".

I just want to make sure I understand the process correctly. When I get my Step 2 CK score back, is it automatically updated to my ERAS and sent to programs? The reason why i'm confused is because I heard on reddit that the score won't be available to programs until they "update their list". Meaning, since they already run through a ton of applications when ERAS opens, there is a chance they won't "update the list".
Not automatically updated, you have to do that. But not sure if/when/how programs update/re-download our ERAS apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to send it out individually from what I heard from 4th years last year

Ah thank you. I should have been more specific. I meant after I release my score, is it automatically sent to programs or do they have to update it on their end?
They do updates but how frequently they do their updates is unknown and varies from program to program so you'd probably have to email them as well to make sure they do!

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: Did UWSA1 today found it super confusing compared to NBME 6 and 7, and the old free 120. Got a 262 but felt like I was destroyed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I may be getting my score tomorrow. Permit is gone.

I saw a reddit trick to see if you passed that you can register for step 3. It apparently is letting my submit an application for step 3 so i'm assuming I passed haha.

Can't wait to neurotically wait til 1AM so I can check FSMB if I passed or not.

Reactions: 4 users

I saw a reddit trick to see if you passed that you can register for step 3. It apparently is letting my submit an application for step 3 so i'm assuming I passed haha.

but then you'll get an email asking why why you're doing that, you're not a DO yet! but congrats dude, you most likely passed!

FSMB doesn't work for Step 2 so don't waste your time lol

You got a 247 on UWSA 2. I'm crossing my fingers you get that score or higher!

• Love
FSMB doesn't work for Step 2 so don't waste your time lol
But can't you at least pay to register for Step 3? I was able to when my Step 2 CK score was coming that week. If you are able it means you passed. But then they refund you your money because you don't have a medical degree and can't sit for the Step 3 exam.

But can't you at least pay to register for Step 3? I was able to when my Step 2 CK score was coming that week. If you are able it means you passed. But then they refund you your money because you don't have a medical degree and can't sit for the Step 3 exam.
I didn't try that but sounds like it might work. That's definitely another level of neuroticism. I've never heard of anyone dying while waiting a few hours for their Step 2 score lol

I didn't try that but sounds like it might work. That's definitely another level of neuroticism. I've never heard of anyone dying while waiting a few hours for their Step 2 score lol
it def works.. lol. but they refund you your money.

School: DO
Step 1: 219
Level 1: 599
Step 2 Goal: 230-240
Level 2: 600
Resources: UW (once during clerkship, repeat during dedicated), OME, Emma Holliday Videos (heard these are good haven't really looked at them yet), SU2M and mostly just Dorans anki deck to solidify knowledge.

Just started 3rd year with an IM-selective in cardiology. Pretty chill and the doc + resident don't expect anything from me. Just i'm trying to figure out what resources would work best for me.

Right now biggest concern is that i make the same mistake for step 1 and try to utilize too many resources.

Just finally got my score back. Wanted to quote my first post that included my goals I wanted to complete before taking this test and what I really did haha.

Step 2 CK: 247.
NBME 6: 221 (2 weeks out)
UW 1 : 237 (5 days out)
UW 2: 247 (2 days out)
Free 120: ~80%. (1 day out).

My school uses COMATs so I would complete the COMQUEST and Truelearn Q-banks during the rotation. Was pretty much 50th percentile or worse for most of these Qbanks. Then I would work on the UW equivalent after the shelf.

Only Honored my Family medicine and OMM rotation. Everything else was pass.

UW 1st Pass ~64% (Completed about 2 months out). Completed ~30% of 2nd Pass and averaged around 75%.

I will say the biggest difference b/w my step 1 and Step 2 experience was my reliance on UW. I made a cheat cheat of all my incorrects on UW and actually read it. Most of my time was just reviewing my incorrects. My biggest mistake on Step 1 was using too many resources and not understanding anything indepth.

Organized all the concepts based on the concepts described at the bottum of the Answer Explanation (See below for Ex)
I cleaned up my incorrects and made them into a Cheat sheet w/ short hand. (See below for Ex)

Personally I felt like it really helped because i spent most of my time understanding how and why I got answers wrong. More importantly I spent most of time on subjects I was bad at. Maybe a more effective way could be make your incorrects into ANKI cards. That could be useful.

For people like me that aren't great test takers and need a way to come back from a terrible Step 1 Score. Your best bet is literally UW.

Divine Risk Factors Podcast was very high yield as well.

1600895380736.png

1600895490435.png

Reactions: 8 users
Just finally got my score back. Wanted to quote my first post that included my goals I wanted to complete before taking this test and what I really did haha.

Step 2 CK: 247.
NBME 6: 221 (2 weeks out)
UW 1 : 237 (5 days out)
UW 2: 247 (2 days out)
Free 120: ~80%. (1 day out).

My school uses COMATs so I would complete the COMQUEST and Truelearn Q-banks during the rotation. Was pretty much 50th percentile or worse for most of these Qbanks. Then I would work on the UW equivalent after the shelf.

Only Honored my Family medicine and OMM rotation. Everything else was pass.

UW 1st Pass ~64% (Completed about 2 months out). Completed ~30% of 2nd Pass and averaged around 75%.

I will say the biggest difference b/w my step 1 and Step 2 experience was my reliance on UW. I made a cheat cheat of all my incorrects on UW and actually read it. Most of my time was just reviewing my incorrects. My biggest mistake on Step 1 was using too many resources and not understanding anything indepth.

Organized all the concepts based on the concepts described at the bottum of the Answer Explanation (See below for Ex)
I cleaned up my incorrects and made them into a Cheat sheet w/ short hand. (See below for Ex)

Personally I felt like it really helped because i spent most of my time understanding how and why I got answers wrong. More importantly I spent most of time on subjects I was bad at. Maybe a more effective way could be make your incorrects into ANKI cards. That could be useful.

For people like me that aren't great test takers and need a way to come back from a terrible Step 1 Score. Your best bet is literally UW.

Divine Risk Factors Podcast was very high yield as well.

View attachment 318941
View attachment 318942
LOVE. TO. SEE. IT. :claps: :claps: :claps:

Friends I need to be swayed on if I should sign up for Step 2CK or not. I just took Step 1 in August. Then I had a super intense ICU audition rotation and didn’t get much extra Step 2/Level 2 questions done on top of long hours and rotation studying. Now I’m on a hospitalist elective (non-residency site but has medical students). I’ll be applying to IM residency with goal of primary care.

Level 1 July 2019: 478
Step 1 8/22: 223
Level 2 10/11: TBD

should I sign up for Step 2? If you think so, what’s the latest I could take it to be helpful?

Friends I need to be swayed on if I should sign up for Step 2CK or not. I just took Step 1 in August. Then I had a super intense ICU audition rotation and didn’t get much extra Step 2/Level 2 questions done on top of long hours and rotation studying. Now I’m on a hospitalist elective (non-residency site but has medical students). I’ll be applying to IM residency with goal of primary care.

Level 1 July 2019: 478
Step 1 8/22: 223
Level 2 10/11: TBD

should I sign up for Step 2? If you think so, what’s the latest I could take it to be helpful?
I think it would be helpful if you improve (230+) and it would give you an excuse to update programs with new info

This post is to give hope for the underachievers on here (compared to the superstar CK scorers)
I PASSED MY EXAM!!!

I failed it last year with a score <200, but with persistence, dedication and hardwork... I PASSED IT THIS TIME!!!!
I'm thrilled and looking forward to applying for programs in the upcoming weeks.

Scores:
UW 1st pass - 57%
UWSA 2 - 232 (30 days before)
UWSA 1 - 218 (28 days before)
UW 2nd pass - 68%
Free 120 - 60%, 2nd time - 78% (remembered the ethics answers since I got those wrong the 1st time to account for inflation)
Old free 120 - 81%

TEST DAY: It was an absolute ****show. Very difficult exam, one of the hardest if not the hardest exam I've taken in my life. I did not get good sleep despite taking the previous day completely off, I could have fallen asleep during the exam, I slept from 9pm-2am - woke up and couldn't fall back asleep, slept from 5am-8:30am. Exam was an afternoon appointment. I felt like I failed after taking the exam, and was praying a lot during these two weeks.

CK Score: Between 215-225, I'm not a superstellar superstar rockstar exam taker, and just happy that I passed.
If anyone has questions let me know, If I can do it, so can you! The past is a poor predictor of the future, if you work hard, anything is possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
got my CK score back = 255-260!

Super relieved to see my score. I think it used to be a joke like NBME 6, but now this test is ****ing hard. I felt like I guessed on a lot of the test and was so tired during blocks 6 and 7. I think doing well comes down to memorizing as much of UW as possible and then ruling out answers -> going with your gut between 2 or 3 choices on those tough/impossible questions. My test felt like a mix of uw2 and new free 120. There are much better test takers than myself on here, but if you're willing to grind through UW multiple times I think anyone can do well. Congrats to everyone else that got scores back today :)

nbme 7 = 254
uw1 = 256
uw2 = 263

Reactions: 7 users
Got my score back today, landed in the low 250's after a mid 250's Step 1. I said I'd be happy with anything >250 on CK, but can't help but feel pretty disappointed at the drop. Could have been worse though, and I don't think it should have any impact at all on my ability to get interviews/match.

Reactions: 11 users
Got my score back today, landed in the low 250's after a mid 250's Step 1. I said I'd be happy with anything >250 on CK, but can't help but feel pretty disappointed at the drop. Could have been worse though, and I don't think it should have any impact at all on my ability to get interviews/match.
incredible! congratulations!!

Ended up with a score between 255-260. Practice exams were all in the 260s except NBME 7 259 but I usually score lower on the real deal than practice (cue anxiety). 260 would've been nice but really happy with my final score!!! I improved by over 20/nearly 30 points between step 1 and step 2 and I am so grateful!

congrats :) what ya going into?

Score came back 2 days ago. Sat Late Sept. USDO.

Step 2 CK = 250

Prep:
- Tzanki and some Dorian deck (was consistent till the summer, started slacking off bad, and didn't use anymore except for reference during my 1 month dedicated)
- UWorld PDF notes (sparingly)
- My own notes
- Divine intervention podcast and PDF (listened to ~20 of them, read through the ones I listened to, wish I had started Divine earlier as he really helps hammer the concepts in and presents it in a way that is conducive to my learning style)

NBME 7 = 220s (I forgot actual score, took in April before covid made me reschedule the test)
NBME 8 = 235 (4 weeks out)
UWSA1 = 252 (2 weeks out)
UWSA2 = 253 (6 days out)
New free 120 = 75% (36 hours out, didn't get to fully review)

Uworld (92% completed, had ~1100 questions left a month out)
- 74% total avg (doesn't include incorrect/marked percentage)
- 76% on the ~750 new questions done a month out (these new added Q are hard)
- 83% on 430 incorrects/marked done a month out

For reference: COMLEX LVL 2 was low 500s (taken in early July)

I thought the actual exam (and prepping for it) was the worst freakin' thing ever. Step 1 >>> Step 2. I was super drained and burnt cause my actual dedicated was immediately after my audition rotation and I pretty much had 4 weeks to run through UWorld and take the practice exams.

I probably marked over 50% of questions in each block. I was able to finish all the blocks with ~ 5 mins remaining, and was able to check some questions. I think I changed like 5 Q from right to wrong and like 7 from wrong to right (although I can never know if it was truly wrong or right lol). I also forgot my lunch bag so I had to use a long break in between block 2 and 3 to go to CVS and buy a bunch of crap to sustain myself. Felt hella nauseous after the exam I was convinced I failed it. Became abnormally neurotic post-exam and started trying to check all the questions to see if I got them right. DONT DO THIS. Save your mental health and trust your practice scores.

• Love
Alright guys Wish me luck, Yoloing it tomorrow. Havent really been studying, have 1k questions left in uworld and one forum.
Took the free 120 yesterday.
~81%
Lets see what happens!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Wow, definatley difficult exam. Probably 10% WTF questions, and constantly running out of time in some sections. Reminded me of Step 1 for a large part.
Dont know how i did, i guess I will find out in a few weeks.

Reactions: 8 users
Also didn’t realize the exam was 9 blocks until I got there. I had always assumed it was 7 blocks .lol.

• Haha