Official 2020 Step 2 CK Experiences With Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets get this started. You know the routine.
Mid Tier MD
Step 1 250-255
mid tier everything.

I need 10 more points compared to my step 1

Not a bad idea to talk about shelves either.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
School: Md top 20
Step 1: 245-250
Stepoal: 260
Rotation/shelf order: neuro, psych, IM/FM, surgery, peds,ob/gyn
Resources: Doing OME, Dorian deck, uworld and AMBOSS if possible

Reactions: 3 users
School: DO
Step 1: 240s
COMLEX: ??
Step 2 goal: 250+ (I don't even really care just want it to look like I improved by 10+ points on paper even if percentile wise it's the same lol)
Rotation/COMAT order: IM, Surgery, Peds, OB, FM, Psych, OMM (I die a little more inside every time I remember that I have to do a full 4 weeks of this)
Resources: Keeping it simple, doing the Tzanki deck/Uworld/Combank/OME vids

Honors is really difficult (like overtly so, for some reason the school has decided it wants to hurt it's students instead of help them) to get at my school so I'm honestly not really worried about grades, just looking to pass my rotations, develop good clinical skills/thinking for my auditions, and get a good Step 2 score as that is what will benefit my future app the most.

Reactions: 8 users
School: MD
Step 1: 260s
Step 2: I guess I better aim for 250+ so I don't look like I fell off too much?

Honestly I've become very unmotivated to do exceptionally well on step 2. I'll probably be pushing it off until after interview season, so that's one reason. Also, I just really like taking care of patients, and reading about my patients, and learning about edge cases of care and clinical decision making, much more so than grinding cards and practice questions.

Y'all my ride or dies though so I'm migrating to this thread :)

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
School: Academy of bone wizardry
Step 1: 255-260
Step 2 goal: not lower than above hopefully
Rotation/shelf order: IM, and then everything is in flux because my preceptor for my second rotation retired without notice :/ but then I have IM as my last rotation.
Resources: doc 3.0 IM deck, Dorian the rest of the way through. Uworld. Whatever random free resources I can find at the hospital library bc I don’t want to spend more money.

Note: my school has two months of IM, but they’re not consecutive. Shelf isn’t until after the second month. So thought I’d do the doc deck so I can impress on rotations (or try to) and then low key do some Dorian IM on the side of everything else so I can walk in and murder the shelf. Doing Dorian and uworld for the rest of rotations and just gonna go for it I guess.

Reactions: 7 users
Mid tier MD
step 1: 256
step 2 goal: 265+

resources: TBD
not really sure about how to approach this year with such significant time constraints
current plan is to get through UWorld and Amboss, with hopefully doing some reading and cards as well...

anyone using Dorian care to comment on how long it takes to watch OME + do the cards and such?

Reactions: 1 users
Mid tier MD

not really sure about how to approach this year with such significant time constraints
current plan is to get through UWorld and Amboss, with hopefully doing some reading and cards as well...

anyone using Dorian care to comment on how long it takes to watch OME + do the cards and such?
Was able to do all of OME and cards in a day and a half. It’s step 1 review with some management stuff

But maybe this is just for neuro

Reactions: 4 users
Mid tier MD
Step 1 high 230s
Step 2 goal 250+

Dorian, OME, UWorld

Mid tier MD

Not long at all. Most videos are ~15 minutes I watch on 1.5x speed and usually 20-40 cards per video

tenor.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Ive been having a hard time motivating myself. since step. IM shelf in 6 days and I have only done 200 uworld questions.

Anyone else having similar issues?

Ive been having a hard time motivating myself. since step. IM shelf in 6 days and I have only done 200 uworld questions.

Anyone else having similar issues?
Yep 2 weeks into my rotation with 10 questions done.... 14 hour days with zero down time idk what to do except pray for energy on my days off

Yep 2 weeks into my rotation with 10 questions done.... 14 hour days with zero down time idk what to do except pray for energy on my days off

I'm on Family Med, get weekends off, clinic only runs 8-6... Sum total studying over the past 2 weeks is ~400 anki card reviews and 20 practice questions.

Kinda hoping I can lean on my Step 1 knowledge base to carry me to a high pass...

Reactions: 2 users
I'm on Family Med, get weekends off, clinic only runs 8-6... Sum total studying over the past 2 weeks is ~400 anki card reviews and 20 practice questions.

Kinda hoping I can lean on my Step 1 knowledge base to carry me to a high pass...
Yeah, we only get 1 day a week off, and usually running 10-12 hours a day in IM. its ridiculous. Step 1 knowledge is the only thing I have, but i havent done zanki reviews, so the small details are vanishing into thin air by now. uworld average has been around 75% which is 10 points less then my uworld step 1 average at the end. I guess I am really really just burnt out and screwed myself this rotation. I have been killing it on the wards tho , great reviews so far, One of my attendings even said I was performing at SUB-I level.

Might get commendations on the clinical portion, but this shelf is going to wreck my world .

Last edited:
Goal is 250+

Dorian, UWorld, OME, Amboss library, random **** I read as I fall down the rabbit hole regularly

Happy to see my SDN fam.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
is there any golijan audio equivilant for step 2? Any podcasts people are listening to for rotations?

is there any golijan audio equivilant for step 2? Any podcasts people are listening to for rotations?
I was going to explore things like Curbsiders and stuff. EM has a ton of things if you are interested in that. Other specialties (besides IM) seem to be less academic in the podcast department but still cool. Lots of history of surgery and stuff of that nature.

Supposedly Golijan for Step 2 is not good.

For FM, knowing the task force guidelines was crucial, so go over that stuff at the very least.

Fish tapeworm reporting in!

Non-US IMG
Step 1: 260s
Step 2 goal : >250, ideally replicate my Step 1 performance
Test date : Late Dec 2019

Resources : Uworld, CMS, NBMEs, FA for Step 1.
Weeks into dedicated : 2

• Wow
Just checking in!

Weak S1 score, hoping to jump 15-20+ points for S2 now that I know what I'm doing (compared to first year...)

Our school luckily doesn't have us do an OMM rotation anymore (thank goodness) but made us take the OMM comat before rotations start so for those who have to take it still.. it's not bad at all.

I'm starting on Peds and I want to do a shout out for the Tzanki deck. It's incredible so far. Resources for this year for me will be UW + Tzanki (& Dorian for FM) and then Case files and OME sprinkled in.

DO Student

Step 1: 243
Comlex 1: 631

Goal Step 2: 255+
Goal Comlex 2: 650+

Rotation Order:
- IM (first 1/2)
- OB/GYN
- IM (second 1/2)
- Psych
- FM
- Cardiology
- Peds
- Surgery
- Heme/Onc
- Neuro

Resources:
- Anki (Tzanki + Dorian Supplement)
- UWorld
- OnlineMedEd

Step 2/Level 2 Date: early May

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
School: DO
Step 1: 219
Level 1: 599
Step 2 Goal: 230-240
Level 2: 600
Resources: UW (once during clerkship, repeat during dedicated), OME, Emma Holliday Videos (heard these are good haven't really looked at them yet), SU2M and mostly just Dorans anki deck to solidify knowledge.

Just started 3rd year with an IM-selective in cardiology. Pretty chill and the doc + resident don't expect anything from me. Just i'm trying to figure out what resources would work best for me.

Right now biggest concern is that i make the same mistake for step 1 and try to utilize too many resources.

Last edited:
DO
Step 1: 244
COMLEX: no idea
Step 2 Goal: 250+
Resources: Anki (still trying to figure out which deck), UWorld, Combank (maybe), any rotation specific resource my shool or preceptor assigns

At this point I am trying to find a good combination of resources to use. I definitely spread myself too thin for Step 1.

DO
Step 1: 244
COMLEX: no idea
Step 2 Goal: 250+
Resources: Anki (still trying to figure out which deck), UWorld, Combank (maybe), any rotation specific resource my shool or preceptor assigns

At this point I am trying to find a good combination of resources to use. I definitely spread myself too thin for Step 1.
a played around with dorian and dope. Dorian's layout was superior and I like that i can just do emma holliday cards for shelves

a played around with dorian and dope. Dorian's layout was superior and I like that i can just do emma holliday cards for shelves

I have been looking at Dorians deck and I like what I see but I can't get over just how many cards there are. I know that there are numerous repeats in there as well as cards based on different resources that I don't have to do, but if I see the cards there I am going to want to do them.

I like what I see from Tzanki as well and it is a much more manageable size. I'm not sure at this point which one I am going to go with.

I have been looking at Dorians deck and I like what I see but I can't get over just how many cards there are. I know that there are numerous repeats in there as well as cards based on different resources that I don't have to do, but if I see the cards there I am going to want to do them.

I like what I see from Tzanki as well and it is a much more manageable size. I'm not sure at this point which one I am going to go with.

Same. I legit just switched to Tzanki for that very reason.

I haven’t heard much about Emma holiday.. looks like it’s just a ~2 hour lecture.. am I missing something?

I haven’t heard much about Emma holiday.. looks like it’s just a ~2 hour lecture.. am I missing something?
The seniors and residents from my school swear by it. Really good summary of everything that is covered. She covers different rotations in two hours each.

Did Kaplan's Pestana notes for Surgery, as it is a weak subject for me. Took me around 2,5 days, I'd say it's a really great resource given how little time it needs to get through. And it comes with a lot of vignettes directly off the main text so you can apply what you just learnt and boost retention.

Does anyone know if the self assessments for shelf are predictive ? I cant seem to find any meaningful information. Or what they mean considering they report something else in terms of number and then the equated percent correct is something else. Im going to pass, just wish I could squeeze an honors.

Hello all, two questions, does anybody have any idea when the nbme 6, 7, and 8 where released?! and when do they actually plan on realeasing newer nbmes? also which is better to do for step 2 ck the zanki deck or the tzanki deck and what the heck is the difference?

Hello all, two questions, does anybody have any idea when the nbme 6, 7, and 8 where released?! and when do they actually plan on realeasing newer nbmes? also which is better to do for step 2 ck the zanki deck or the tzanki deck and what the heck is the difference?
Tzanki incorporates Amboss learning points into the cards.

Anyone else finding step2 material super boring? Not that step1 was a party, but so far I feel like I’m just memorizing guidelines and bar trivia.

Anyone else finding step2 material super boring? Not that step1 was a party, but so far I feel like I’m just memorizing guidelines and bar trivia.
Retweet

Pathophys is interesting to me but there’s none of that in my current clerkship. Maybe IM will be different

Anyone using sketchy for IM? I can’t read books anymore so not really down for SU2M. Pretty much just been doing anki and uworld not sure if that’s enough

Anyone using sketchy for IM? I can’t read books anymore so not really down for SU2M. Pretty much just been doing anki and uworld not sure if that’s enough

bruh, I'm on peds and that's all I have time for. Can't even imagine IM

I made a flash card the other day about what ages kids can sit in rear vs front facing car seats. Kinda miss the biochem minutiae tbh.

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
I made a flash card the other day about what ages kids can sit in rear vs front facing car seats. Kinda miss the biochem minutiae tbh.

Especially since facts like that are likely going to change before we even take Step 2. As someone with kids I swear they literally told us a different age ever time we went in to the pediatrician's office.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
With peds I think the most importan thing I'm noticing in both UW and in the clinic is that reassurance for the parents is so important. That's often the right answer.

With peds I think the most importan thing I'm noticing in both UW and in the clinic is that reassurance for the parents is so important. That's often the right answer.

I'm seeing that with a lot fo UWorld step 2 questions in general. I think there are many more than step 1 where the answer is normal variance, physiologic change, reassurance, or something in that vein. Maybe trying to get out of the step 1 mindset of buzzword = rare disease always.

I'm seeing that with a lot fo UWorld step 2 questions in general. I think there are many more than step 1 where the answer is normal variance, physiologic change, reassurance, or something in that vein. Maybe trying to get out of the step 1 mindset of buzzword = rare disease always.
I liked step 1 and studying for it etc but starting step 2 studying truly cemented just how stupid a lot of step 1 content is particularly in light of that little thing called the internet.

anybody on neurology and concerned that uworld isn’t really comprehensive compared to the content outline for the clinical neurology shelf?

I guess I can do try to do some amboss/pretest and the 4 nbmes during this last week but probably can’t finish everything :(

For all of you anki lovers. How are you playing with your interval settings? Are you capping your max interval for the rotation you're on?

For all of you anki lovers. How are you playing with your interval settings? Are you capping your max interval for the rotation you're on?

I planned to do the same as in year 2. Was wondering this too though.

I know Tzanki has been talked about in here. I was also recommended to do Zanki + WiWa (a bit over 13k cards total); any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

I know Tzanki has been talked about in here. I was also recommended to do Zanki + WiWa (a bit over 13k cards total); any thoughts on this?

I'm doing Tzanki and I highly recommend it. Will use Dorian for FM. Not sure what I'm going to do for EM though.

I'm also doing Tzanki and Dorian FM. I took a look at most of the decks available and I really liked Tzanki. I'm also really trying to not get resource overloaded this time around and that 13k deck is too much for me.

School: Md top 20
Step 1: 245-250
Stepoal: 260
Rotation/shelf order: neuro, psych, IM/FM, surgery, peds,ob/gyn
Resources: Doing OME, Dorian deck, uworld and AMBOSS if possible
hey can you please provide me the link to Dorian deck's? is it on anki

Can somebody just give me a rundown of the resources needed for second year? I’m absolutely clueless. Could use a 10+ point jump after an average S1. My brain doesn’t work on anki so that’s where I’m running into problems finding other resources

Original DO school right at the middle of the class if that matters. I’m cool with being average but just don’t wanna be an idiot. Start OB in a couple weeks as my first rotation

Last edited: