Official 2021-2022 Rheumatology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Please help me rank:
BU vs BIDMC vs Brown
Career goals: PP vs clinician-educator
Thanks!
BIDMC > Brown > BU, respectfully. I only interviewed at brown but was very interested in BIDMC and BU.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, that's such an interesting take. I thought BU was the best of the three based on my gut feeling tbh. PD seemed super invested, lots of interesting research, sick and diverse patient population, great MSKUS training. Any specific reason or something you heard that you would recommend to rank it last of the three?
This is my take too for all the reasons you mentioned. BU > BI > Brown

Sorry another ranking question. How would people rank UChicago vs Colorado? Would love to hear thoughts from people that interviewed at either.

Members don't see this ad :)
just a general question, are people going to tell their number 2, 3 that they are “highly” ranked, or is that a bad idea because it’s clear that they aren’t your number one?

just a general question, are people going to tell their number 2, 3 that they are “highly” ranked, or is that a bad idea because it’s clear that they aren’t your number one?

I think this is probably uesless. I only emailed and disclosed my No.1 when applying for fellowship, and was not taken by that program.....

These last minute emails from some programs are playing with with my emotions. They know exactly what they’re doing.

Reactions: 1 user
These last minute emails from some programs are playing with with my emotions. They know exactly what they’re doing.

What do the emails say? Are you getting some that ask you to rank them high--or even first?

I guess you are lucky. I did not get any love letters from program. we'll have to see how this plays out.

I guess you are lucky. I did not get any love letters from program. we'll have to see how this plays out.
Also got 0 love letters from programs, and I’m not gonna read too much into that! It’s all in the algorithms hands now

What do the emails say? Are you getting some that ask you to rank them high--or even first?
Nothing that explicit. Just something along the lines of “you would be a good fit at our program.”

Also got 0 love letters from programs, and I’m not gonna read too much into that! It’s all in the algorithms hands now
I was surprised to get a pretty effusive love letter. . . unfortunately, from a program that I could not, for logistical reasons, rank near the top. It was heartening and sad at the same time.

Nothing that explicit. Just something along the lines of “you would be a good fit at our program.”
It seems encouraging, though. I was interviewed by many programs and only got one love letter.

It seems encouraging, though. I was interviewed by many programs and only got one love letter.
When did you recieve the love letter? Its a bit strange that programs are sending out love letters after the rank lists are set.

When did you recieve the love letter? Its a bit strange that programs are sending out love letters after the rank lists are set.
I received the love letter about a week before the deadline for certifying my rank list. There was still time for me to adjust if the love were reciprocated. I agree that sending one once change was impossible would be futile and foolish.

qc0p7i7byn711.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Matched at #2. I'm thankful for all the support on this forum. In the future willing to answer any questions.

Congratulations to all the new fellows that matched! Please share your stats and let us know where you matched!

I ended up matching at a small, almost brand new program in the Midwest near the end of my list. Happy with the location, but I can't help but be slightly disappointed about the program itself. I don't care as much about "prestige", my primary interest is in being a competent community rheumatologist who is able to provide a high level of care to patients. With that being said, I'm concerned that I won't get the didactics and MSK ultrasound/procedural experience necessary to do that. Really hoping for some guidance from our more seasoned colleagues.

To be clear, I know how fortunate I am to have matched at all. I wouldn't have ranked the place if I didn't think it was at least a distant possibility that I'd end up there. I know there are thousands out there who would take my spot in a heartbeat (and I hope their hard work is rewarded as mine was). I'm just a little disconcerted that I fell so far down my list with no obvious red flags and repeatedly positive feedback on my letters/interview performance.

I ended up matching at a small, almost brand new program in the Midwest near the end of my list. Happy with the location, but I can't help but be slightly disappointed about the program itself. I don't care as much about "prestige", my primary interest is in being a competent community rheumatologist who is able to provide a high level of care to patients. With that being said, I'm concerned that I won't get the didactics and MSK ultrasound/procedural experience necessary to do that. Really hoping for some guidance from our more seasoned colleagues.

To be clear, I know how fortunate I am to have matched at all. I wouldn't have ranked the place if I didn't think it was at least a distant possibility that I'd end up there. I know there are thousands out there who would take my spot in a heartbeat (and I hope their hard work is rewarded as mine was). I'm just a little disconcerted that I fell so far down my list with no obvious red flags and repeatedly positive feedback on my letters/interview performance.

Regarding didactics, thanks to the pandemic, the ACR is hosting virtual didactics lectured by the top rheumatologist nationwide. I can forward the message privately if you are interested.

The ACR annual meeting also has large amount of educational material and also due to the pandemic, they can be reviewed afterwards rather than only a few days in the meeting time

I also spent a lot of time reading textbook, literature and review books. These all help a lot. If you make your own effort, you will be an excellent rheumatologist regardless of where you go for training

The procedures in rheumatologist happens in very common diseases (almost same to MSK medicine in primary care) and you should have plenty of chances

I was not trained with MSK ultrasound and I feel completely comfortable managing patients without it, just like most old school rheumatologist

Reactions: 2 users