USMLE Official 2021 Step 2 CK Experiences With Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
All right y'all, let's get this party started. Here's to a smooth sailing third year, no Prometric drama with Step 2, in-person aways and interviews, and no CS/hopefully PE.

School: bone wizard

Step 1: mid 230s
Level 1: mid 570s

Step 2 goal: 250+
Level 2 goal: 600+

Interests: EM, OB/GYN (distant second)

Rotations (in order): Peds, IM, FM, Psych, Neuro, Surgery, EM, OB/GYN and then several electives mixed in

Resources: UWorld, Online MedEd, Tzanki deck since it's shorter and the Step 1 decks burned me out, might check out B&B for Step 2 when it comes out since Dr. Ryan saved my butt on Step 1

My rotations go until the end of June and unfortunately my schedule is pretty backloaded with my final 3 rotations being EM, OB and ICU so I guess that means I'll be taking Step 2 in early July. Obviously I'm not sure how auditions/aways will be playing out next summer and if PE will be a thing so a lot up in the air right now in terms of scheduling. My school does COMATs for our shelf exams but I don't plan on using any DO-specific resources for COMATs or Level 2 as I've heard UWorld is all you need.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
573 on comlex. Disappointed again considering comat performance and a 620 on comsae but given the fact I thought I was going to fail imma just be happy lol
Done with boards, this was an awful experience 😂😂😂

also Probabaly applying just peds after my Sub I. I’ve worked real hard and loved it, might even get two LORs instead of one. Absolutely love this hospital and I had never even heard of it until I was looking for places to apply on vsas.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
also Probabaly applying just peds after my Sub I. I’ve worked real hard and loved it, might even get two LORs instead of one. Absolutely love this hospital and I had never even heard of it until I was looking for places to apply on vsas.
Yesssss, so happy for you.

Reactions: 1 user
770 on Level 2! Completely blown away by that number. I will be applying to all the originally AOA ortho programs so hopefully that will help buy me some non-auditioner interviews

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email this morning hoping it was my Step score, instead found out I tested positive for COVID :oops:

• Wow
  • Haha
  • Sad
Hopefully your case is mild and you feel better soon!

Thanks! Yea completely asymptomatic so far. Returned from a trip and decided to get tested for peace of mind since the airport was packed, who would have thought I'd be positive. Would've kept going to clinic had I not tested.

• Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
683 on Level 2, goal was 600. Would be a lot more psyched if I already had my Step 2 score since that exam was a lot harder lol.

• Love
COMLEX Level 2: 749 taken 7/3 after 5 days of minimally studying OMT after step 2

COMSAE BSA106: 779
STEP 2: 265
Level 1: 700

Reactions: 3 users
Any thoughts on the new nbmes (9, 10, 11)? My test day is this Monday and I was planning on taking nbme 7 tomorrow as one last practice exam since I already did nbme 6+8 and USWA1+2. With the new ones having almost no info on them, I'm not sure which one to take

So, my goal for level 2 was not to drop my score too far.

I proudly present:
Level 1: 735
Level 2: 735

The EXACT SAME score. I met my goal lmfao

• Love
  • Haha
Any thoughts on the new nbmes (9, 10, 11)? My test day is this Monday and I was planning on taking nbme 7 tomorrow as one last practice exam since I already did nbme 6+8 and USWA1+2. With the new ones having almost no info on them, I'm not sure which one to take
i'd say take the new ones. who knows you might encounter a similar topic on the real deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'd say take the new ones. who knows you might encounter a similar topic on the real deal.

Ended up taking nbme 11 today and scored a 256. Not sure what to make of it since there's no correlation data. Overall, it seemed like some questions were a little weird. For instance, an answer for one was pancreatitis but neither the lipase or amylase was elevated... and then in the explanation they said pancreatitis was the answer because of elevated lipase (which it wasn't); In total, I'd say there were 3-4 questions where there answers completely contradicted their explanations. Overall there really weren't too many "ethical or behavioral" questions that everyone has said is prominent on ck since the change last year. It was pretty biostat heavy though

Ended up taking nbme 11 today and scored a 256. Not sure what to make of it since there's no correlation data. Overall, it seemed like some questions were a little weird. For instance, an answer for one was pancreatitis but neither the lipase or amylase was elevated... and then in the explanation they said pancreatitis was the answer because of elevated lipase (which it wasn't); In total, I'd say there were 3-4 questions where there answers completely contradicted their explanations. Overall there really weren't too many "ethical or behavioral" questions that everyone has said is prominent on ck since the change last year. It was pretty biostat heavy though
fwiw thats still a solid score. im gonna take them next week. that q does sound odd tho....unless ct imaging or epigastric pain were mentioned in the q since they are the only other 2 diagnostic criteria for pancreatitis. glad to know theres some stats practice.

Thanks man! And yeah it was odd. I thought the same thing with the imaging but there wasn't any. It was also weird because it was generalized abdominal pain and not even localized to the epigastric-ish region. I felt like one of the other answers fit better tbh even after getting the explanation but I guess its good practice for the actual test since everything isn't always "textbook" on there
fwiw thats still a solid score. im gonna take them next week. that q does sound odd tho....unless ct imaging or epigastric pain were mentioned in the q since they are the only other 2 diagnostic criteria for pancreatitis. glad to know theres some stats practice.

Anyone with a UW first pass % in the high 60s who scored 260+ on CK? im freaking out over here lol only people i see geting 260+ had like at least mid 70s first pass UW avg fml. Im like 60% complete at 68% correct

Anyone with a UW first pass % in the high 60s who scored 260+ on CK? im freaking out over here lol only people i see geting 260+ had like at least mid 70s first pass UW avg fml. Im like 60% complete at 68% correct
You’re good bro! 68% isn’t bad, especially if your trending up

You’re good bro! 68% isn’t bad, especially if your trending up
Thanks man i hope so. Im doing anki for IM (most of CK is IM id say and Im applying IM) and OB (my weakest subject by far) plus gonna finish UW and do my incorrects. hopefully thats good enough for my goal. I put CK off cuz i scored high on Step 1 (mid 250s) and now regretting it haha

Thanks man i hope so. Im doing anki for IM (most of CK is IM id say and Im applying IM) and OB (my weakest subject by far) plus gonna finish UW and do my incorrects. hopefully thats good enough for my goal. I put CK off cuz i scored high on Step 1 (mid 250s) and now regretting it haha
I remember seeing some of your posts in the old step 1 forum and I know you killed it! IM will give you a really good base. OB actually ended up not being too heavy on mine. The questions on OB are a little more superficial than the shelf too. One thing I had to brush up on that seemed to keep coming up for OB is the delivery course and management. Other than that I would just work on QI, ethics (too whatever extend that is possible), and bio stats. I can attest that those three things truly are are large component now

• Love
I remember seeing some of your posts in the old step 1 forum and I know you killed it! IM will give you a really good base. OB actually ended up not being too heavy on mine. The questions on OB are a little more superficial than the shelf too. One thing I had to brush up on that seemed to keep coming up for OB is the delivery course and management. Other than that I would just work on QI, ethics (too whatever extend that is possible), and bio stats. I can attest that those three things truly are are large component now
Whats the best resource/podcasts for ethics and all the non medical BS lol i want to crush that part if i can (heard its impossible to prepare for but i want to try). @fldoctorgirl @Thesimplelifeofamyloid @calivianya feel free to also chime in

Whats the best resource/podcasts for ethics and all the non medical BS lol i want to crush that part if i can (heard its impossible to prepare for but i want to try). @fldoctorgirl @Thesimplelifeofamyloid @calivianya feel free to also chime in
Divine intervention was okay. A lot of the stuff he went over seemed like stuff we’ve been hearing since the start of med school though. Amboos q’s were decent. I think the key is to just do as many questions as possible because the questions they ask are just so random and out of left field that the more you do the more likely you are to have encountered something similar

• Love

I signed up for the free 7 day trial of amboss and just crammed all their ethics questions in that time. Thought it was pretty helpful for the real deal.

• Love
I didn't watch any podcasts. Just did TurnUp2Ethics/Law. I found it helpful but I have heard really good things from everyone who did the AMBOSS questions. I honestly just didn't care anymore by the time I thought about doing something. I find it really hard to prepare for ethics because every situation somehow manages to be unique.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I didn't watch any podcasts. Just did TurnUp2Ethics/Law. I found it helpful but I have heard really good things from everyone who did the AMBOSS questions. I honestly just didn't care anymore by the time I thought about doing something. I find it really hard to prepare for ethics because every situation somehow manages to be unique.
Im getting a lot of amboss responses so ill do that and the turnup thanks!

Looks like everyone gave you input. But another +1 for amboss for ethics

246!

Goal was 245, so overall pretty satisfied with this score. Just like Step 1, it stings a little to score lower than my practice scores but it is what it is and I'm happy with all the work I've put in for these 2 exams. Proud of everyone here!

Reactions: 6 users
That’s awesome man! You passed that piece of crap test by a solid margin. That’s all that matters. I’ll take you as my doctor any day of the week
Thanks! :). I studied as hard as I could. I guess 226 is all I am good for.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

• Care
I'm shocked, got a 250!!! Honestly don't know how. I only did 50% of UW with a 60% avg (one pass). Highest practice exam score was UW2 at 236. Only took 1 NBME (8) which was 220 Don't know if I deserve the score, curve must've been in my favor, but I'm stoked.

• Wow
Sorry to revive this thread but I take level 2 Weds lol how did level 2 feel compared to comats and was it all that bad? I havent done any comlex specifc banks only UWorld. Any last minute advice? got a 671 level 1 so realistically my goal is 700 i guess? but does it really matter? lol who knows

Sorry to revive this thread but I take level 2 Weds lol how did level 2 feel compared to comats and was it all that bad? I havent done any comlex specifc banks only UWorld. Any last minute advice? got a 671 level 1 so realistically my goal is 700 i guess? but does it really matter? lol who knows
Between here and friends, I noticed people either felt it was really really rough, or pretty easy. I did not personally hear any experiences of people between those two extremes.

I felt it was much better than comats because

1. There is a lot more time per question
2. There are a lot more ethics/systems/safety/legal/etc which are faster

Last minute advice: Do the turn up to law/ethics anki deck.

edit: I just realized you’ll be doing it in the morning, so don’t stress if you haven’t.