USMLE Official 2021 Step 2 CK Experiences With Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
All right y'all, let's get this party started. Here's to a smooth sailing third year, no Prometric drama with Step 2, in-person aways and interviews, and no CS/hopefully PE.

School: bone wizard

Step 1: mid 230s
Level 1: mid 570s

Step 2 goal: 250+
Level 2 goal: 600+

Interests: EM, OB/GYN (distant second)

Rotations (in order): Peds, IM, FM, Psych, Neuro, Surgery, EM, OB/GYN and then several electives mixed in

Resources: UWorld, Online MedEd, Tzanki deck since it's shorter and the Step 1 decks burned me out, might check out B&B for Step 2 when it comes out since Dr. Ryan saved my butt on Step 1

My rotations go until the end of June and unfortunately my schedule is pretty backloaded with my final 3 rotations being EM, OB and ICU so I guess that means I'll be taking Step 2 in early July. Obviously I'm not sure how auditions/aways will be playing out next summer and if PE will be a thing so a lot up in the air right now in terms of scheduling. My school does COMATs for our shelf exams but I don't plan on using any DO-specific resources for COMATs or Level 2 as I've heard UWorld is all you need.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Same. I feel like if I was the type of person to flag things, I would have flagged 1/3 of the test. I just went back through every single question twice to avoid the psychological burden of knowing how many things I was unsure about.
I’m still impressed that you just powered through it without breaks, let alone each question twice

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Ugh you guys I keep remembering absolute layups I missed by talking myself out of the right answer. Like 80%+ questions on UWorld layups. For once it’d be nice to not be freaking out after one of these exams but I guess I can’t have nice things.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Me trying to decide if I should look at my score in the middle of my rotation tomorrow or wait till lunch. Hmmm...

Reactions: 1 users
Me trying to decide if I should look at my score in the middle of my rotation tomorrow or wait till lunch. Hmmm...
If you can wait, you’re a better person than me. I’m looking tomorrow the second I get the email.

Fortunately, I’m with a temporary preceptor because my main preceptor, who will evaluate me and write me a letter, is out on vacation, so it’s not a big deal if I act like a complete idiot tomorrow.

If you can wait, you’re a better person than me. I’m looking tomorrow the second I get the email.

Fortunately, I’m with a temporary preceptor because my main preceptor, who will evaluate me and write me a letter, is out on vacation, so it’s not a big deal if I act like a complete idiot tomorrow.
My preceptor is a bit of a...character so we'll see.

• Haha
took the exam last week. felt fair, can think of a couple absolute layups I missed which blows. walked over to a restaurant close by immediately after and had a cold one for all the ridiculous things like knowing what MECP2 mutations are I can now purge and never need again

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Excuse my mistake.

*24 point increase. :)
1626277280131.png

• Haha
Lmao, I don't know how y'all are getting these scores. Despite doing well on all my clerkships, I have yet to pass a single assessment. And my exam is in 9 days.

I am just going to trust my prep.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

• Care
Also, just wanted to add that both predictors (reddit and predictmystepscore) had me at 259. So...pretty accurate this time around.

All you guys who got over a 250, did you hit above 250 on both the UW assessments? I got 246 on both and am hoping to get 245+
I did not. The only practice test I ever cracked 250 on was UWSA2. I’ll do a full breakdown since I’m home now and I‘m thinking about it. These dates are estimates bc I don’t precisely remember, so they are my best guess.

Data:
Step 1: 247
UWSA1, ~4 weeks out: 249
NBME 6, ~3 weeks out: 232
NBME 7, 10 days out: 226, which freaked me out, so…
NBME 8, 10 days out (immediately after 7): 246, at which point I felt better.
UWSA2, ~1 week out: 253
Free 120, 2-3 days out: 81%
UW qbank: 72%… but less than half done

Predictors:
Reddit predictor: 254.8
Predict my step score w/o free 120: 252 ± 5
Predict my step score w/ free 120: 262 ± 37 lmfao. Recalculating it now, it says 251 ± 9… but that’s not what it said the day before my test.

Actual step 2 score: 256.

So I did a little bit better than expected. The reddit predictor was way closer than predict my step score… and their value for the conversion for my NBME 8 score was 256.1, so I’d say that NBME 8 was most predictive for me when you look at what score they’d predict for you on the real deal based on your NBME 8 score… *not your NBME 8 score itself.*

Last edited:
When did y'all test? If I test Friday when should I expect my results????
The USMLE website said those testing June 28-August 13 will get their results August 25 but a lot of people who tested the week of June 28 got their results today so I guess the answer is who knows. The typical turnaround time is 2-3 weeks so you could get your results then or you could have to wait until August 25. I tested on Monday so I'll probably check my NBME account around July 25 or 26 to see if my permit button is still there since that'll be 2 weeks for me.

Reactions: 3 users
My practice tests data if it helps anyone.

Step 1: 251
UWSA1: 251
UWSA2: 267
Free 120: 80%
UWorld first pass: 78%
NBME 6: 253
NBME 7: 254
NBME 8: 259

Actual Step II: 265
Tested 6/28 results 7/14

Reactions: 4 users
The USMLE website said those testing June 28-August 13 will get their results August 25 but a lot of people who tested the week of June 28 got their results today so I guess the answer is who knows. The typical turnaround time is 2-3 weeks so you could get your results then or you could have to wait until August 25. I tested on Monday so I'll probably check my NBME account around July 25 or 26 to see if my permit button is still there since that'll be 2 weeks for me.
1626302181067.png

Per their announcement, it says that "some examinees" will get scores back on 8/25. I tested 7/2 and didn't get my score today, hoping for next week though!

It hit me yesterday that like....there's not much else in the way of us graduating and becoming doctors. Like, obviously we need to match, but for the sake of graduating...it's over (I still have to take the EM COMAT but that doesn't really count lol). It's insane.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
It hit me yesterday that like....there's not much else in the way of us graduating and becoming doctors. Like, obviously we need to match, but for the sake of graduating...it's over (I still have to take the EM COMAT but that doesn't really count lol). It's insane.
I’m on a busy sub-I but it’s so so easy compared to third year.

when I’m home I don’t even think about medical anything. Any reading they want me to do I do while I’m there.

To be clear: I didn’t do amazing on step 2 like you all did, and I was 3 points below my predicted score, but my %ile increased by 20 because I had a weak step 1, so now I feel like my application is saved a little bit. It’s a good feeling

my stress level is low

• Love
I’m on a busy sub-I but it’s so so easy compared to third year.

when I’m home I don’t even think about medical anything. Any reading they want me to do I do while I’m there.

To be clear: I didn’t do amazing on step 2 like you all did, and I was 3 points below my predicted score, but my %ile increased by 20 because I had a weak step 1, so now I feel like my application is saved a little bit. It’s a good feeling

my stress level is low
Yes!! It's an amazing feeling actually being off when I'm not at my rotation. Finally don't have that feeling of stress knowing I have to wake up and do Anki, UWorld, etc. It's amazing.

Yes!! It's an amazing feeling actually being off when I'm not at my rotation. Finally don't have that feeling of stress knowing I have to wake up and do Anki, UWorld, etc. It's amazing.
This is probably the best part of fourth year. I also like learning for the sake of learning and interest and not worrying about evaluations

Just finished Level 2. Definitely a lot easier than Step 2 and much more buzzwordy and straightforward. Have an online course next week then start auditions on the 26th. Gonna hang onto Anki until I get my Step 2 score lol.

so as a newly minted M3, is anki plus qbanks the formula for success? I did it for step 1 and didn't do as well as I would have liked (still got a solid score for IM), and so I'm wondering if I should change things up?

so as a newly minted M3, is anki plus qbanks the formula for success? I did it for step 1 and didn't do as well as I would have liked (still got a solid score for IM), and so I'm wondering if I should change things up?
MD or DO? reason im asking is if you are DO and take COMATs do comquest plus UWorld. If you take NBME shelves do amboss plus uworld. I did 2 banks (comquest and uworld) and honored every shelf/comat. I did like 25-30 questions per day starting day 1 of every rotation and then the last week did 50 comquest per day timed to prep for the test. Anki also works extremely well-used it for peds plus the two banks (thought was overkill but ended up getting 100th percentile on that one). A lot of people use cheesy dorian which I found very very helpful for peds when I did it so I can see how it could work well for those who love anki. Ive always been an advocate of just doing a ridiculous number of questions which worked well for me but I do see the benefit of anki if thats how you learn. However, OBGYN is a different beast (very algorithmic) and is really not medicine heavy at all so I do strongly recommend anki (like even if you dont decide to use anki all year at least do it for OB). APGO uWISE questions for OB is also the one other bank you should use during OB

Last edited: