Official 2023 Osteopathic Match Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ARCOM notable matches

Dermatology- Health Partners Minneapolis
IR - penn state
Orthopedic surg - (unknown location)
IM - Dartmouth, SLU, UMMC, U alabama, cleaveland clinic south pointe
EM - OU, UT San antonio, UMKC, Texas tech, Virginia tech, Albany, KU
Psych - Albany, SLU, OSU
Anesthesia- U Missouri Columbia, OU
Pathology - Loyola, Baylor, KU
Peds - Wash U, Baylor, UAMS
FM - Brown, SIU, U alabama
PM&R - Wash U
Neuro - LSU NOLA, U Missouri Columbia
Gen surg - Texas tech, UAMS

It's awesome that SLU has become so DO friendly this year!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
NYITCOM at Arkansas State (100% placement rate)

*if numbers do not match locations listed below them, it’s because I could not find the location. The numbers are accurate.

Gas: 2
Indiana University
Cleveland Clinic Foundation

IM: 32
NEA Baptist Jonesboro x2
University of Nevada
University of Chicago
Crestwood Med Center
University of Kentucky
Cook County
Johnston Memorial
EVMS
Conway Regional Health
TIGMER
Advocate Health - IL
Thomas Hospital - Fairhope
Icahn SOM Mount Sinai - Elmhurst
University of Tennessee
University of Nebraska
Naval Med Center
Insight Hospital and Med Center
HCA Healthcare Kansas City

FM: 27

Psychiatry: 10
Inspira Health
Unity Health
TIGMER
Lewis Gale Medical Center
Prisma Health - University of South Carolina
HCA Healthcare East FL

Peds: 9
Baycare Health
Jacobi Med Center/Einstein
University of Tennessee
University of Arkansas
Baylor Scott & White
University of Texas
Loyola

EM: 7
HCA Medical City - Arlington
McLaren Health Care
Cleveland Clinic Foundation
Unity Health
John Peter Smith Hospital x2
University of Arkansas
Augusta University Medical Center
Medical College of Wisconsin - Affiliate Hosp

General Surgery: 4
Willis-Knighton
University of Pittsburg - Harrison
HCA Healthcare Kansas City

PM&R: 2

Radiology: 2

OB/GYN: 2
Texas Tech - Permian Basin
Brooke Army Med Center

Neurology: 1
Stony Brook

Ortho: 1

Path: 1
MUSC

Derm/ADCS: 1
Kansas City University - GME Consortium

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dang Neurology is getting very popular (at least at KCU). Most places usuallly only have like 1 or 2 going for Neuro. It’s interesting seeing that many Neuro matches.
7% increase in # MD matches, 10% increase in # DO matches, 3% decrease in # IMG matches, looks like more US students are liking neurology

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
I remember reading on sites like Reddit and sdn that bc step 1 became p/f there will be less DO’s in competitive specialties. Is that true? Did the data support this hypothesis?

I remember reading on sites like Reddit and sdn that bc step 1 became p/f there will be less DO’s in competitive specialties. Is that true? Did the data support this hypothesis?
This year still had step 1 scores being shown, I believe next year is when we'll get more insight. Furthermore, the number of DO grads begins to increase as well. Should be interesting in 2024 to say the least.

7% increase in # MD matches, 10% increase in # DO matches, 3% decrease in # IMG matches, looks like more US students are liking neurology
As someone who is highly considering neuro currently, I am hopeful that the field remains somewhat uncompetitive. Looks like the field is gaining further exposure online and the misconception of diagnose and adios is slowly being put to rest. We shall see what happens, the brutality of the PGY-1 and PGY-2 years still seems to be holding some people back. This year appeared to be a good year in general.

Reactions: 2 users
Why would that be? DO can still take Step 1 and 2. Step 2 is still scored lol.

Reactions: 4 users

Next year could be a bloodbath, since there's a number of inaugural classes entering the match (both new DO and MD schools). @DOVinciRobot showed that the # of DOs matching a specialty remains pretty stable, but since there's more DOs competing for a limited number of spots, everything simply get more competitive.

2024 Match will be interesting for sure... hopefully things don't get too bad.

Midwestern University Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine (incomplete list, about half the class)
Edited 4/19 to add Derm and ENT matches
Edited 4/21, 4/25 to add a few more matches

Anesthesiology
Kaweah
UConn
Rush
St. Elizabeth
WashU
U of Oklahoma
MUSC
Texas A&M/BSW
U of Washington
WVU

Derm
Beaumont Trenton

Emergency Medicine
U of A Tuscon
Abrazo x2
Maricopa County
Desert Regional
Riverside University Health System
UConn x2
UF Jacksonville
Advent Health
UIC
Morristown
Sunrise Las Vegas
UNLV
Comanche County
Baylor/BSW
WVU

ENT
PCOM

Family Medicine
Mountain Vista
Canyon Vista
Mountain Vista
Abrazo x2
Honor Health
Creighton Phoenix x3
Dignity East Valley
Kingman Regional
Charles Drew
Community Memorial
Adventist Health
Tripler Army Medical Center
Idaho State University
U of Illinois
Central Maine
Mclaren Macomb
Riverstone x2
Nellis AFB
Waco
St. Mark's
Fort Belvoir
Tacoma Multicare x2

General Surgery
Creighton Phoenix x2
U of A Phoenix
U of A Tucson
UNLV x2
Good Sam TriHealth
USC Greenville
VMFH St. Joseph

Internal Medicine
U of A Tuscon x3
Abrazo x3
U of A Phoenix x2
Dignity East Valley
Santa Barbara Cottage
Riverside University Health x2
Community Memorial
UC Riverside
Scripps Mercy
St. Mary's x2
Kern Medical
Advocate Christ
U of Louisville
Hennepin County
Billings Clinic
Wright Patterson AFB
Good Sam TriHealth
UPenn
Baylor UMC
Virginia Tech

IR
U of Nebraska

Neuro
Medical College of Wisconsin
OHSU

Neurosurg
MSU

OBGYN
U of A Phoenix
Oklahoma State University

Orthopedic Surgery
Jefferson Health

Path
Harvard Beth Israel
NYU

Pediatrics
Tuscon MC x2
Phoenix Children's x3
Loma Linda
Nicklaus Children's
Peyton Manning
Children's Hosp of Michigan
Baylor/TCH

Peds Neuro
Phoenix Children's

PM&R
Walter Reed

Psychiatry
U of A Phoenix
MAHEC
ECU Greenville
UNLV

RadOnc
UC Davis
OHSU

Urology
Sparrow/MSU

Last edited:

This year still had step 1 scores being shown, I believe next year is when we'll get more insight. Furthermore, the number of DO grads begins to increase as well. Should be interesting in 2024 to say the least.

As someone who is highly considering neuro currently, I am hopeful that the field remains somewhat uncompetitive. Looks like the field is gaining further exposure online and the misconception of diagnose and adios is slowly being put to rest. We shall see what happens, the brutality of the PGY-1 and PGY-2 years still seems to be holding some people back. This year appeared to be a good year in general.

As it currently stands, neuro is very uncompetitive. There are plenty of people who fail boards, don't take step, don't do auditions, or have only 1 LOR (or some combination of the above) who still manage to match into neuro. I think neuro has a long way to go before it becomes even slightly competitive.

Last edited by a moderator:
As it currently stands, neuro is very uncompetitive. There are plenty of people who fail boards, don't take step, don't do auditions, and have only 1 LOR (or some combination of the above) who still manage to match into neuro. I think neuro has a long way to go before it becomes even slightly competitive.
If EM, Gas, and ENT have proved anything, it’s that it doesn’t take long for any given field to drastically wax and wane in regards to competitiveness.

If EM, Gas, and ENT have proved anything, it’s that it doesn’t take long for any given field to drastically wax and wane in regards to competitiveness.
EM has issues due to job market projections. GAS was never as uncompetitive as neuro is now. ENT has always been super competitive - unless you meant to say another field?

As it currently stands, neuro is very uncompetitive. There are plenty of people who fail boards, don't take step, don't do auditions, or have only 1 LOR (or some combination of the above) who still manage to match into neuro. I think neuro has a long way to go before it becomes even slightly competitive.
That’s because there are still plenty of IMGs to push out. There aren’t a lot of Neurology spots in general. Once the number of spots more or less equals the number of US applicants, it will start getting competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s because there are still plenty of IMGs to push out. There aren’t a lot of Neurology spots in general. Once the number of spots more or less equals the number of US applicants, it will start getting competitive.

I think last year only about 100 spots went to IMgs, right?

I think we are getting really off topic, LOL. This isn't a neuro thread! Although I admit that I was the one who started this so I take responsibility for that.

ARCOM notable matches

IR - penn state
Orthopedic surg - (unknown location)
IM - Dartmouth, SLU, UMMC, U alabama, cleaveland clinic south pointe
Psych - Albany, SLU, OSU
FM - Brown, SIU, U alabama
PM&R - Wash U
For IM, U Alabama as UAB in Birmingham or Huntsville?

EM has issues due to job market projections. GAS was never as uncompetitive as neuro is now. ENT has always been super competitive - unless you meant to say another field?
EM has lots of issues, but point being it turned on a dime.
GAS has rubber-banded from highly, to moderate, bouncing back to more highly competitive.
ENT has gone from competitive to highly competitive.

Wasn't trying to equate any of the 3 to neuro. Simply stating that projections on competitiveness can sway.

Midwestern University Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine (incomplete list, about half the class)

Anesthesiology
Kaweah
UConn
Rush
St. Elizabeth
U of Oklahoma
MUSC
Texas A&M/BSW
U of Washington
WVU
WashU

Emergency Medicine
U of A Tuscon
Abrazo x2
Desert Regional
Riverside University Health System
UConn x2
UF Jacksonville
Advent Health
Morristown
Sunrise Las Vegas
UNLV
Comanche County
WVU

Family Medicine
Mountain Vista
Canyon Vista
Mountain Vista
Abrazo x2
Honor Health
Creighton Phoenix x3
Dignity East Valley
Kingman Regional
Charles Drew
Adventist Health
Tripler Army Medical Center
Idaho State University
U of Illinois
Central Maine
Mclaren Macomb
Riverstone x2
Nellis AFB
Waco
St. Mark's
Fort Belvoir
Tacoma Multicare x2

General Surgery
Creighton Phoenix x2
U of A Phoenix
UNLV
USC Greenville

Internal Medicine
U of A Tuscon x3
Abrazo x3
U of A Phoenix x2
Dignity East Valley
Santa Barbara Cottage
Riverside University Health x2
Community Memorial
UC Riverside
Scripps Mercy
St. Mary's x2
Kern Medical
Advocate Christ
U of Louisville
Hennepin County
Billings Clinic
Wright Patterson AFB
UPenn
Baylor UMC
Virginia Tech

IR
U of Nebraska

Neurosurg
MSU

OBGYN
U of A Phoenix

Orthopedic Surgery
Jefferson Health

Path
Harvard Beth Israel
NYU

Pediatrics
Tuscon MC x2
Phoenix Children's x2
Nicklaus Children's
Peyton Manning
Children's Hosp of Michigan
Baylor/TCH

Psychiatry
U of A Phoenix

RadOnc
UC Davis
OHSU

Urology
Sparrow/MSU
IM at UPENN??? wow

If EM, Gas, and ENT have proved anything, it’s that it doesn’t take long for any given field to drastically wax and wane in regards to competitiveness.WNT
ENT was not competitive? I always thought it was among the top 5 most competitive ever since it existed lol

Like can you confirm? I don’t think they have ever matched a DO before. You sure it’s not the Montgomery branch or some other UAB? Lol
You were right. I double checked, and it is the Huntsville program. It was confusing because the picture the person posted said UAB at Birmingham, but at the bottom of it, it says Huntsville IM program which I miss the first time I checked earlier.

ENT was not competitive? I always thought it was among the top 5 most competitive ever since it existed lol
I think it’s always been competitive but I thought it wasn’t top 5 10-15 years ago. That’s what I have read/heard previously but by no means am I suggesting it was ever a cakewalk to get in. I may be completely wrong though.

Yes… For everything that is holy please don’t let neuro be the new psych on SDN.

“ZOMG!!! PSYCH IS SOOO COMPETITIVE NOW!!!!”

It went from not even needing a pulse to match to “hey we kinda have standards now.” And we still haven’t heard the end of it…

How do you know a student is interest in psych? Because they tell you how competitive psych has gotten…

Neuro won’t become competitive because… it’s f’ing NEURO! But just watch, the match will become more competitive in general and people will conflate the two in the years to come.

Big IM matches I saw- UH/Case took 2 DO’s this year as did Dartmouth. Also IM matches at BCM and Brown. Several at CCF(main) as well.

Like can you confirm? I don’t think they have ever matched a DO before. You sure it’s not the Montgomery branch or some other UAB? Lol
Their surgery program matched a DO from NOVA this year.

Can anyone explain how I can interpret the match rates for advanced programs? For example, some advanced programs have first-year build in some don't have so I think people will apply to both? Does that mean people who match into a PGY-1 position are shown umatch for the PGY-2 position?
Yes for example for anesthesia and radiology. The total number of applicants between the pgy-1 and pgy-2 is inflated as most people apply to both type of spots presumably

ARCOM notable matches

IR - penn state
Orthopedic surg - ETSU
Diagnostic radiology - Tulane
IM - Dartmouth, SLU, UMMC, U alabama Huntsville, cleaveland clinic south pointe, UTMB
Psych - Albany, SLU, OSU
FM - Brown, SIU, U Alabama Tuscaloosa
PM&R - Wash U
Ortho surgery was at ETSU
There’s also an IM at UTMB

Edit: Diagnostic radiology at Tulane

Last edited:
Yes… For everything that is holy please don’t let neuro be the new psych on SDN.

“ZOMG!!! PSYCH IS SOOO COMPETITIVE NOW!!!!”

It went from not even needing a pulse to match to “hey we kinda have standards now.” And we still haven’t heard the end of it…

How do you know a student is interest in psych? Because they tell you how competitive psych has gotten…

Neuro won’t become competitive because… it’s f’ing NEURO! But just watch, the match will become more competitive in general and people will conflate the two in the years to come.
Not to discount your post, but psych has become more competitive lol, just looking at the stats from applicants and number of applications.

Last edited:
NRMP shows 3 neurosurgery matches this year. I’ve only seen one from MWU-AZCOM. Any idea on the other 2?

Not to discount your post, but psych has become more competitive lol, just looking at the stats from applicants and number of applications.

Definitely, you now need to carefully build an app around applying to psych and can't treat it like some backup. But the competitiveness has also been overhyped online with people saying "psych is the new derm" and making it seem like suddenly you need high board scores and a sh**ton of research to match.

Definitely, you now need to carefully build an app around applying to psych and can't treat it like some backup. But the competitiveness has also been overhyped online with people saying "psych is the new derm" and making it seem like suddenly you need high board scores and a sh**ton of research to match.

Def agree! It’s not an easy match anymore. Just like you can’t apply Derm without interest and a good app, you can’t do that with psych anymore, either. Psych is not a back-up or SOAP/scramble speciality anymore. It’s competitive for great pay and lifestyle hours, like Derm. Obviously Derm is harder to match into lol, but Psych is competitive in its own way, meaning it’s way more competitive than 10 years ago.

This is from the Psych forum, here are the facts posted by a long-time respected member:

Attachments

• 8083AEB3-BDC8-485A-9F07-A07D39529D33.jpeg
    8083AEB3-BDC8-485A-9F07-A07D39529D33.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 173
Definitely overhyped. This year had the least amount of applicants in the last five years. Sure, overall there are less IMG's in total applying but I am willing to bet the match rate for psych will remain stable. The data in 2022 showed that match rates for psych were the same despite all the hype online. Radiology, anesthesia, and PM&R on the other hand; I can agree that these have been hit hard especially for DOs.

Definitely overhyped. This year had the least amount of applicants in the last five years. Sure, overall there are less IMG's in total applying but I am willing to bet the match rate for psych will remain stable. The data in 2022 showed that match rates for psych were the same despite all the hype online. Radiology, anesthesia, and PM&R on the other hand; I can agree that these have been hit hard especially for DOs.
PM&R has become competitive?! Dang, I always thought it was an easy match for DO’s.

PM&R has become competitive?! Dang, I always thought it was an easy match for DO’s.
Match rate for PM&R dropped to 50-60% last year I believe, and this year is looking even worse more like 40-50% from the nrmp report.

• Wow
Match rate for PM&R dropped to 50-60% last year I believe, and this year is looking even worse more like 40-50% from the nrmp report.
Fields like PM&R getting much more competitive just shows how much of an impact that online exposure can bring to a field. Lifestyle has become the predominant driving factor for a good number of applicants leading to fields becoming more competitive, with much of the information being relayed into social media spaces like twitter and reddit.

Reactions: 3 users
Actually, I did the math and it’s actually 68% match rate overall. 76 matched categorical PGY-1 spots and 113 matched advanced spots with a total of 276 DO applicants (assuming everyone that applied categorical (266) also applied advanced (276)). (113+76)/276 = 68.4%

Fields like PM&R getting much more competitive just shows how much of an impact that online exposure can bring to a field. Lifestyle has become the predominant driving factor for a good number of applicants leading to fields becoming more competitive, with much of the information being relayed into social media spaces like twitter and reddit.

Actually, I did the math and it’s actually 68% match rate overall. 76 matched categorical PGY-1 spots and 113 matched advanced spots with a total of 276 DO applicants (assuming everyone that applied categorical (266) also applied advanced (276)). (113+76)/276 = 68.4%

The problem with PMR is that the number of spots hasn’t increased as it has for other fields. But the overall step scores of matched applicants had stayed the same over the last few years.

The problem with PMR is that the number of spots hasn’t increased as it has for other fields. But the overall step scores of matched applicants had stayed the same over the last few years.
Does the job market need more physiatrists? If they don’t then it’s a good thing that spots haven’t increased. I kinda see them around in niche ortho groups, rehab, or peds hospital jobs that really only need 1 person

You have to also account for people that may have ranked another specialty higher and used pmr as their second choice.. so % would be a bit higher but yea more competitive than before

Does the job market need more physiatrists? If they don’t then it’s a good thing that spots haven’t increased. I kinda see them around in niche ortho groups, rehab, or peds hospital jobs that really only need 1 person
I wasn't commenting on it. I was just reporting the statistics.

DR positions (that are beginning in PGY-2) have a significantly lower (39 vs 56%) DO match rate than Surgery-Categorical positions. Am I reading this right? Ofc this is counting people who ranked other specialties higher, but dang.

Also have to give a major shout out to my Class of'23, because it was a fantastic match!!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
If there's one thing our country needs, it's more psychiatrists!

Also have to give a major shout out to my Class of'24, because it was a fantastic match!!!
He was talking about physiatrists (PM&R trained physicians). Not psychiatrists. I know it’s easy to misread that word.

• Love
  • Sad
DR positions (that are beginning in PGY-2) have a significantly lower (39 vs 56%) DO match rate than Surgery-Categorical positions. Am I reading this right? Ofc this is counting people who ranked other specialties higher, but dang.
DR positions (that are beginning in PGY-2) have a significantly lower (39 vs 56%) DO match rate than Surgery-Categorical positions. Am I reading this right? Ofc this is counting people who ranked other specialties higher, but dang. That’s applied pgy-2 positions matched to only pgy-2 they could have matched a pgy- 1 categorical position as well. The numbers for DR Applicants is inflated because I assume everyone who applied to pgy-2 spots also applied to categorical pgy-1 spots.
You have to take in to account that pgy-1 and pgy-2 advanced applicants can match to either a categorical or advanced pgy-2 spots since I am assuming everyone that applies to DR applied to both advanced and categorical positions. So many of those pgy-2 applicants could have matched pgy-1 categorical spots

So if i'm reading the statistics correctly only 50% of DOs applying ortho matched into ortho this year. Down from like 55% last year? I wonder how far down this will trend before stabilizing. Seems to be an issue of MD students matching at several formerly AOA programs while only a handful of DOs match at traditionally MD programs.