Official ABIM 2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In my opinion, I think the MedStudy books helped me immensely.

I found it much easier to stay engaged with the material since the books are formatted with lots of "Quick Quiz" sections that help one ensure that the concepts are captured and understood.

Plus, they already emphasize the facts that are 'must-know' in yellow highlighter and red-colored text so it was easy to get through a session of active studying (i.e. reading and asking myself questions about what I just read so I wouldn't forget it soon after, then reviewing the highlights at intermittent intervals/spaced repetition for content mastery.)

In contrast, the MKSAP texts are a phenomenal tome of material, however, I had trouble staying focused and felt like highlighting entire chapters as every sentence seemed 'high-yield' to me. (Don't get me wrong, the MKSAP is a great resource and the questions offer excellent practice...but the actual textbook reading part was somewhat painful for me.)

All in all, I think the MedStudy books are a solid resource and a great place to start for those who are daunted by large amounts of text/material.

Cool. Did you feel the Yellow material (and quick quiz) was what was on the exam? They are putting an awful amount in yellow these days. I guess my other thought is that there is a lot in there. Is it really formatted in a high yield way?

Clearly the MKSAP reading is out of line (BB2 is great). I just wanted an independent opinion on whether MedStudy helped.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MedStudy was one of the cornerstones of my preparation material (the other being the MKSAP questions). I did not want to overload myself with too much material - as there is a lot out there. For me, studying the MedStudy books - cover to cover - and going over MKSAP questions was enough to pass the IM boards.

My staff had recommended MedStudy to me, and now I recommend it to the IM residents that I work with. It is incredibly dense - but far more readable than MKSAP in my humble opinion. If I were to use one resource throughout my internal medicine residency - it would have been MedStudy - hands down - the material covered in those books are gold.

MedStudy was one of the cornerstones of my preparation material (the other being the MKSAP questions). I did not want to overload myself with too much material - as there is a lot out there. For me, studying the MedStudy books - cover to cover - and going over MKSAP questions was enough to pass the IM boards.

My staff had recommended MedStudy to me, and now I recommend it to the IM residents that I work with. It is incredibly dense - but far more readable than MKSAP in my humble opinion. If I were to use one resource throughout my internal medicine residency - it would have been MedStudy - hands down - the material covered in those books are gold.

OK...great. I had not heard anyone giving a review endorsement these days. Everyone says they use it because it is less to read than MKSAP but I never hear anybody saying "When I took the exam, the material was right from the MedStudy Core". I used to hear that back in the day when the boards was the written test, everyone took the same test and it slowly changed over time. I was just wondering whether that still holds true now that the boards have been computerized. I was wondering whether MedStudy was keeping up or relying on its name.

I'd like to hear more people come out after the test endorsing it. It's not about what was used...it's about what helped. Everybody agrees on the MKSAP questions. I just wanted to see whether everyone still agrees on the MedStudy...and also whether it is appropriate high yield. Sometimes I wonder whether the boards question writers have a copy of MedStudy in front of them to make sure they don;t make the exam too easy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been anxiously checking for my score report every day. Who would have thought I would be so excited to receive anything from ABIM? Ha Ha.

LAst year I failed. This year I passed. Let me tell you my story.

I received my scores after finishing rounds at an LTAC -brand new in my practice. I saw I had failed and couldnt function for 3-4 days. When I finally picked myself up off the couch, I ordered the ACP 2011 board review course since it was one of the few that had audio I could listen to in my car. I already had Board Review Basics 2 but didnt use it nearly enough. I treated this like the steps, and it was nothing like that.

I looked at my weak areas -- Onc, ID, GI, Gen Med. I started right away listening to the audio no matter where I drove. By March 2012, while working full time, I decided to buckle down and begin to study. I knew that I got 130/205 questions correct and maybe just 10-12 more was the difference between passing and failing. I studied at least 5-6 hours every evening - after getting home from the office. I spent my Saturdays and Sundays, at least 10 hours each of those days reading and studying. It was not easy but I started to see that it was also helping my outpatient practice --- I was finding things in my patients that I may not have if I had not been obsessing over studying. I even researched patietns routinely and I think that made a big difference. I reviewed ABGs on my ICU patients, learned Winters Formula, etc. I calculated everything on my inpatients. I even made office patients stand and squat to assess their murmurs. all of these things helped me, I believe, to pass!

I then started with those topics. I actually re-read key parts of a histology book and believe it or not I think it tremendously helped with Heme/Onc. I then started taking notes on Board review basics. I made a special word document with pictures of blood smears, derm findings, EKGs. I studied alot of the Zebras. I studied labs and any of those topics that made good board review questions based on previous In Training exams --- things like Wegeners which spans renal, rheum and pulm. Anything that seemed like a complicated process, I studied it in depth. I studied USPSTF recommendations - when to vaccinate, when to do AAA screening, tobacco cessation, BRCA screening - etc!! I read it all. I needed to memorize it anyway being in practice so this was benefitting my out patient practice.

I went to Cleveland Clinic board reivew course --- I think that was a help. It showed me by the first week in June where I was and how much further I had to go.

I then did all of the MKSAP and redid the ones I missed. I did HARRISONS IM Review Book questions - not all of them, but most. I did any question that had an image associated with it.
I did USMLE world --- they were new but damn they made me feel awful. I felt terrible doing those questions but they were damn good. They were tricky which is good because MKSAP doesnt get tricky enough!! After all of this, I was ready for the ABIM. Although I passed I still believe alot of it is just written by a group of pretentious physicians, without personalities, without any compassion - empty white coats. But the thing to remember is you can rise above this. It is just another hurdle! Just know that you can do it.

LAst year I failed. This year I passed. Let me tell you my story. ...

The best thing from your story is having the will and not feeling defeated. I think with the right excitement, people should do well. Great job.

One thing I will caution people that were close...You must STILL start from scratch and work hard. With my two failures...even though they were not back to back, I didn't prepare well. One thing that messed me up is that the first time that I took it, even with BS preparation I was SO CLOSE. Since I mis-paced and had to just choose C for many questions in the first session, I had excuses in my head. I didn't have that whipped feeling so I wasn't properly scared. So when I got around to taking it again, I thought "If i only do a little more, I'll be fine". Nope! This time I got smoked and felt awful during the exam. I knew I had failed. I wish that had happened to me the first time...getting blown away...so I would have approached it the second time with more seriousness.

So I'm glad I passed this time and I feel getting smoked (not even close) helped me realize how unprepared I was. I share that as a caution to you that end up being close. Pretend you weren't close and hit it hard again. I was silly though. I went into the first 2 not doing all the MKSAP questions. I hardly did any of them. For the second time I had done a bunch of MedStudy questions though. It did me no good.

Did your partner pass? Did you put in the same time as your partner?

In the above, I used Pass Machine. have you tried that as a change of pace? maybe you need something different. I really enjoyed their lectures. Their practice quizzes suck but you have plenty of MKSAP questions. Their questions from the lecturers are good.

So if you tried all the above i would recommend:
1. A new Study partner that keeps things fun
2. A schedule that allows you to go over the topics twice. Long review then quick refresher
3. Pass Machine if you haven't tried it (The Home Study so you can take your time and keep reviewing).
4. BB2 for sure. You'll love that book. Just knowing you didn't use it should be enough to get you excited. When you order it, they also give you the PDF online version.
5. Make sure to use that strategy of extracting skill sets when you do the MKSAP questions. This is not just reading the objective...but you yourself deciding what they are asking.

Certainly, a popular strategy is to use MedStudy and the MedStudy videos. Many swear by this (or used to). If that works for you great. I'm sure all the info is in medStudy since almost everything is yellow these days "Know Cold", "Know Perfectly". I just decided to go a different way because i wanted a change. Initially i thought I would also read the MedStudy Core...but I had no time. We used it as a reference sometimes. I have a lot of respect for them. It just wasn't for me. I will tell you i was laughing at lunch at all the stuff MedStudy said we needed to know cold that was not on there thus far (and still never made it on after lunch). So i would have clogged my brain with a lot of stuff.

Yes my study partner passed. I actually put in a lot more time studying than her! She and my other friends taking the test said I knew my material inside and out. But somehow I couldn't relay that on the test. I passed all the steps first time taking it....and I studied the same or even harder for the abim exam. I guess I am still trying to figure out what I did wrong. That's the only way I am going to pass this exam. And I don't want to make the same mistake next year. My study partner and 2 friends did not study nearly as much as I did..and they passed. Where did I go wrong??

Yes my study partner passed. I actually put in a lot more time studying than her! She and my other friends taking the test said I knew my material inside and out. But somehow I couldn't relay that on the test. I passed all the steps first time taking it....and I studied the same or even harder for the abim exam. I guess I am still trying to figure out what I did wrong. That's the only way I am going to pass this exam. And I don't want to make the same mistake next year. My study partner and 2 friends did not study nearly as much as I did..and they passed. Where did I go wrong??

Did you only have ONE study partner? I recommend only one main. It sounds like you did. You ask a good question. How did you feel when you were taking the test? Did you feel that you had passed? You really need to think about it and figure out why you weren't confident.

• Did you feel like the content was coming from nowhere?
  • Were you OK with the content but had trouble distinguishing between 2 entities often?
  • Did you have problems with time management?
  • Did you feel overly stressed while taking it?
  • Did you just draw a blank on content you were trying to remember?
  • Were there skills that you needed to have that you didn't anticipate?
  • Did you find the boards expected you to know things in more detail than you had anticipated?
  • Were there areas you skipped that showed up on the boards?
  • Did you get enough sleep the few days beforehand?
  • Did you eat the right foods on that day that didn't make you sleepy during the exam?
  • When you did MKSAP, did you go through all the explanations and imagine how the passage would have needed to change for that answer to be the correct answer?
  • Did you read the question then answers then passage so you could identify which skill they are testing and know what you are looking for while you are reading?
  • How well do you really really know the material? Many times a person does not know the material well and they think they know it but could not apply it. This is where it is helpful to have partners who will ask you questions in a challenging way so that you can master the material...not just blow smoke up your ass.

When you regroup, take the attitude that you are going to ace the exam. That's more fun and more motivating. If you don't ace it and just pass, that will be good enough. Aim high though.

Congratulations to those that passed and my sympathies to those that did not (like me).

To those of you that passed after taking the exam more than once
:
- Please let me know which study resources helped you most. I was considering purchasing either the ACP study guides or Medstudy books.
- Please let me know which question banks you found most helpful for a passing score.
- Please let me know when you started studying.
- Please let me know if a live prep. course or if a CD ROM prep. course has the best advantage. I have never taken a prep. course before. I see ACP has one and Awesome review has one.
- Please let me know if the USMLEWORLD Qbank (as hard as people say it is) gave anyone an advantage.

To those of you about to take the ABIM Exam in 2013 for the first time
:
I did well in the USMLE STEP exams, on all the Standardized Shelf Exams from the NBME in medical school, I was in the upper 1/3 of my medical school class, I went to one of the best medicine residency programs in the country, I received citations from faculty as one of the strongest residents in my program, and I did very well on my first ISE and a little less well on the last one. The following are things that I think contributed to my failure on the 2012 ABIM exam, so please learn from my mistakes and I promise to continue to 'give back' when I pass:
- Don't be over-confident.
- Understand that the exam does not necessarily correlate with your performance as a clinician. It's a game--like the STEP exams; once upon-a-time turning up and securing a pass was all that was expected and that was reality but, with the advent of a multitude or prep. courses and study question banks, the test writers for the ABIM exam have gone beyond this standard, and are writing tricky questions that require a lot of in-depth study, and second- and third-order thinking to get the answers right. If that makes you paranoid, I am pleased--you will probably pass and save yourself the personal, financial, emotional, and professional damage that I and other people not passing have experienced. If the fact that the % passing candidates on the ABIM exam is less and less each year makes you paranoid, good; it should, and now you will probably pass.
- I started studying 3-4 weeks before the exam, but was not taking it seriously. I was distracted.
- I let my guard down and did not respect this exam, believing that I was so strong in general medicine that I could 'game' the sections I knew less well by smoking sections I knew well. Don't game it - know all the details like you did for STEP 1, and you will pass.
- I used only MSKSAP questions. They are (In my opinion) absolutely nothing like the ABIM questions in thought process or content. My feeling from those that passed and those that did not pass is the following: the people passing using MKSAP only are gifted test takers, and those that did not pass are generally people who need to actually know the material inside and out to secure a pass on standardized exams (I know myself to be one of those people).
- I listened to gifted test takers in my residency program telling me I either do not need to study because I am such a strong clinician or that I should follow their plan and do only do MKSAP questions the week of the test because 'that's what they did and it worked'.
- I compressed my residency program so had less floor and unit experience than my peers.
- I spent almost all of my time night and day around the sickest patients in the hospital to be the best clinician I could be and to take care of any situation--at the expense of often missing conference and medicine grand rounds during my medicine residency. Learning the academic nuts and bolts for the exam it turns out is actually important!
- I ignored the warning in my last ITE exam in which I scored substantially less well than before (I felt the last ITE was easy and the first was hard--the results were the inverse of common logic).
- I ignored the warning on my STEP 3 exam in which I studied for just a couple of days using questions only, noting my score to be far less than STEP 1 and 2.
- I went far too fast through my actual ABIM exam, finishing each block approx 30 minutes ahead of time. I did check some answers but I now feel I was clearly missing subtle but probably important information in the stem that may have secured several extra points. Slow down on the exam.

Hopefully this will help some people. I am open to advice based on what I posted. I am discouraged, depressed, humbled, dejected, and mixed up, but like the comment someone posted from the Batman movie when Bruce was asked "why do we fall?....so we can learn to pick ourselves back up again".

Congratulations to those that passed and my sympathies to those that did not (like me).

To those of you that passed after taking the exam more than once
:
- Please let me know which study resources helped you most. I was considering purchasing either the ACP study guides or Medstudy books.
- Please let me know which question banks you found most helpful for a passing score.
- Please let me know when you started studying.
- Please let me know if a live prep. course or if a CD ROM prep. course has the best advantage. I have never taken a prep. course before. I see ACP has one and Awesome review has one.
- Please let me know if the USMLEWORLD Qbank (as hard as people say it is) gave anyone an advantage.

Sorry to hear that. It sounds like you'll get it next time though. I know what you are describing.

I like the way you put your questions so it takes the pressure off. Rather than a recommendation where I feel if it doesn't work I am responsible (if it is an unpopular method), you are just asking what worked for us.

I don't want to rehash the same things I keep saying including having a study partner, isolating the skills from the MKSAP questions, BB2, etc. See my posts.

One thing you ask about is a course...live vs videos. I really like "The Pass Machine". The lectures were fun. I knew it was something different than what others were doing and i liked that. I needed to know I was doing something different this time to avoid getting psyched out. The videos gave me a firm foundation to answer the MKSAP questions and I enjoyed the combination of the 3 (PM, MKSAP Questions and BB2). The Pass Machine practice quizzes were no good but who cares? You have plenty of available questions. As far as the lectures, i can't quite say there was some secret they were sharing. It just gave me a strong foundation. Everyone wants the easy way out with a source that has questions from the exam.

As far as video vs live, I have always preferred the video. I like watching them at my own pace and not waiting until 2 months ahead only to have everything crammed into 5 days like the live courses do. I would think it depends on learning style. I'd rather have several months to digest the material.

Some additional advice for those who failed and are discouraged because they say they don't know what to do:

• Constantly quiz yourself. Force yourself to reproduce the material. They have shown that quizzing yourself is more effective than just merely reading material over and over. Some like to express that they have gone over material 5 times...great...but how much of that material is in your head? That is key. Don't kid yourself. Reproduce.
  • Make sure your study partner is appropriately pimping you. This isn't done in a stressful way but a friendly way. You'd be surprised how much you think you know that you don't. We had a policy of never looking down on each other so there was nobody to impress of fake. Our jobs were to get each other ready. Sometimes its healthy to be a little harsh on yourself for not having something down...let it simmer for a few seconds while your store the correct info. Then your partner should help pick you up by reminding you that NOW you know. NOW you are an expert. Finish with re-quizzing on the concept and when you get it right you'll feel better.
  • You'll quickly see that most of the questions are either 1. Dx (including classic signs and symptoms, appropriate work up tests and Ddx), 2. Management (including Tx and follow up) and 3. Prevention/Screening ... Whenever you encounter something, make sure you know all aspects...How does it present? What are the initial work up tests? What is the Ddx and are you comfortable distinguishing this from other things? What would be the initial management? How would you follow up? (and what would you do based on what happens). Know the normal disease progression in case they ask you to address a patient who is already being treated. Is there anything that can be done to screen for the disease?, prevent the disease? Make sure both you and your partner know these. Take time to look them up and discuss with each other. Often i would ask my partner whether he was comfortable with something that I wasn't and we both decided to look it up. This happened all the time! It's great. You remember it more when you are looking up something you are curious about than just reading it in order. Just keep telling yourself that NOW you are experts. Never feel bad for more than 5 seconds.
  • When you are going over the MKSAP questions again, do ALL of them. You don't necessarily need to read the whole passage again...that's up to you. You need to go over all questions again...make sure you are comfortable with the right answer...why the wrong answers are wrong, the key point, the explanation...all of it. I've heard some say they only went over the ones that they missed. This is a mistake IMO because sometimes we get lucky when we get something right. You might forget later that when you were choosing you couldn't decide between 2 choices so you STILL need to go over that one. Equally dangerous as the ones you got wrong IMO are the ones you got right but not for the proper reason.
  • When you are going over the explanations (MKSAP explanations are good), in your head, ask yourself what would have needed to change in the question to make that the appropriate answer. So in a way, each question is like going over 5 versions of the question...not just one.
  • I've said this before but it is key...generate skills form reading the question then answers then passage. Right before you read the passage you should say out loud to your partner what it is likely about and what skill they are trying to get you to display. "OK...this is likely going to be a patient with chest pain and they want us to determine the cause based on the history/data". "OK...this is likely going to be an Asthma patient and they want us to demonstrate step up management". "OK this is likely an Anion gap metabolic acidosis and they want us to determine the cause based on the info presented". Say it out loud to your partner. Your partner will either agree, present an alternative estimation or say nothing (which is fine too). When the test comes and you read the question and answers first you will quickly recognize which skill is being tested. They try to be nice. Usually if they are telling you classic signs and symptoms are not present, they are trying to help you rule out those diseases. Sure...sometimes it is uncommon presentation of common diseases but when it is an uncommon disease, it is usually classic. You usually won't see uncommon presentations of uncommon diseases. Still...even with the uncommon presentations of common diseases, they tend to be common ...maybe not the MOST common but still common enough that they want you to know.
  • Don't give yourself a pass on the MKSAP questions by saying they ask things that are too detailed. It's better to be over-prepared than under-prepared. If they say you need to know it...make sure you know it. Many will miss things and say "On the boards they will be nicer". Maybe...maybe not. Don't let yourself off the hook. Wait until after the exam to do that.

You will definitely get them next time.

It was not easy but I started to see that it was also helping my outpatient practice --- I was finding things in my patients that I may not have if I had not been obsessing over studying. I even researched patietns routinely and I think that made a big difference. I reviewed ABGs on my ICU patients, learned Winters Formula, etc. I calculated everything on my inpatients. I even made office patients stand and squat to assess their murmurs. all of these things helped me, I believe, to pass!

I'll probably get flamed for this, but isn't what you wrote here what should be done in residency?

Key to passing the exam:
1. Read about your patients all throughout internship and residency

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll probably get flamed for this, but isn't what you wrote here what should be done in residency?

Key to passing the exam:
1. Read about your patients all throughout internship and residency

Not flamed but while I think that's good advice, it is not always possible with all people at all programs. Between pre-rounding, intern (or resident) report, attending rounds, noon conference, admissions, procedures, explaining things to family, notes, discharges, your continuity clinic days, teaching med students, etc, we all know residency is a lot of work. We all know it would be ideal to look up every patient but we should also be thoughtful enough to know it isn't always possible. Each person is different working on his/her weaknesses and each program is different as far as how cush or malignant etc.

So I agree...great advice...but be understanding. All he/she was saying is he/she made sure to make time for the "ideal".

PS. I didn't even add in Grand Rounds, M&M days or Journal report. LOL Ahhh....residency...gotta love it.

I just had an interesting thought. We hear that MKSAP used to be even more helpful for the boards and we assume that the board questions have gotten harder but is it possible that MKSAP 15 just wasn't as good or as closely related to board questions as MKSAP 13 and 14? I'm not saying this is true...just an interesting concept.

Admittedly, that MedStudy package with the core, cards and videos seems really complete. It looks fun.

I just had an interesting thought. We hear that MKSAP used to be even more helpful for the boards and we assume that the board questions have gotten harder but is it possible that MKSAP 15 just wasn't as good or as closely related to board questions as MKSAP 13 and 14? I'm not saying this is true...just an interesting concept.

I had MKSAP 13 and 15. They were equally useless.

I had MKSAP 13 and 15. They were equally useless.

LOL I have 13 sitting somewhere but never opened it. It was just a thought. I still think doing MKSAP questions is the best. As long as you focus on all the choices...not just the correct choice, it helps. I haven't fully evaluated the other question sets though. I know one year I didn't do MKSAP and only did some MedStudy questions and those didn't seem to help me. I may not have given them proper attention though so it might not be a fair evaluation.

I took the exam this past August and passed first attempt.
I used FIRST AID for ABIM, the best book out there---ALL you need to know for that test is there, I didnt waste my time with MKSAP but used med study and Uworld thought they were both very helpful...Hightly recommend the first aid book and UW or med study qs
Uworld very hard questions but good explanations (very detail)
Med study right on just like the exam (lenght of the Qs etc..)

I took the exam this past August and passed first attempt.
I used FIRST AID for ABIM, the best book out there---ALL you need to know for that test is there, I didnt waste my time with MKSAP but used med study and Uworld thought they were both very helpful...Hightly recommend the first aid book and UW or med study qs
Uworld very hard questions but good explanations (very detail)
Med study right on just like the exam (lenght of the Qs etc..)

Interesting. I had forgotten about First Aid. It was certainly the best book bible for USMLE Step 1 and we all know their content was HIGH YIELD...LOL I just wasn't sure whether they had caught up to do the same for the boards. It's nice to see they have an endorser. If I had to take it again, I would definitely look them up.

Congrats!!! I was the 140 last year who passed, glad you did it this year you deserve the great feeling you have right now!!!

I got an email saying to expect by 10/25, and to call if it doesn't arrive by then

Last edited:
I passed on my first attempt this year. I'll give the people reading this thread what I did for some reference.

I sort of disagree with a lot of what has been written about how difficult the exam is. I felt like it was pretty on-par with the ITE. Both the content and length of questions.

I bought the MedStudy Question bank. I did only about 20-30 questions and felt like they were not really that great. I ended up not doing any more of them. I also bought USMLE world Q bank. I felt that (while hard) it really prepared me the most for the examination. I did all of these questions 1 time over about 6 weeks prior to the exam. The ones I got right I didn't really spend much time reading the explanations. But the ones I missed, I would try and read all of the explanation. I had hoped to be able to go over these questions more than one time but was not able to due to lack of time and motivation. I am in a really busy fellowship program so I had way less time (30-60 min per day) to study than I would have liked.

I had the whole MKSAP series of books and Qbank (given to me at the beginning of residency). I did the renal chapter (required during my rotation during residency); however, I did not do any other sections of the MKSAP.

I did read throughout residency (10-30 minutes daily) on my patients (nearly exclusively in UpToDate) and I paid attention (most of the time) during lectures and grand rounds, etc. I also routinely read primary literature throughout the week (JAMA, Annals of Internal Medicine, NEJM, and a couple of subspecialty journals).

Admittedly, that MedStudy package with the core, cards and videos seems really complete. It looks fun.

I really liked the core curriculum and the core scripts (flash cards). Our IM program bought the videos for us during PGY-1 and PGY-2 years but I had trouble staying awake watching the vids after long days at the hospital during those years to benefit much. I didn't get through many of the MedStudy q-bank but it seems like a fairly good resource...at least for practice.

All in all, the MedStudy stuff is solid and complements much of the other materials you recommended.:thumbup:

...I felt like it was pretty on-par with the ITE. Both the content and length of questions.

I definitely agree with you on this. My Program Director encouraged me to go over my ITE score breakdown and tailor my studies according to my weakest sections first and then review the highly tested sections per the ABIM blueprint (e.g. Gen Med, Cards, GI, Pulm).

Going over every item/concept that I got wrong on my prior ITE's, and making sure I understood why I got these wrong and where my knowledge gaps were, helped solidify my study base in a focused fashion and I think this enabled me to pass on my first attempt despite having struggled with prior standardized exams (I failed Step 2 CK once).

I used the ITE as my road-map and I employed many of the same materials used by folks on this forum (MedStudy, MKSAP, Awesome Review, BB2) to hone in on my considerable deficiencies.

BTW, congrats on your first-time pass!

Someone at ABIM messed up & gave me a passing score. :)

For the current 3rd years taking it....MKSAP is WAY too easy since they make their Qs so long that you are able to rule all the wrong choices pretty easily.
Actual exam had MANY 2-3 line Qs that didn't allow for narrowing of the choices.
While we are usually encouraged to read the whole Q before answering, I would actually prepare for this the opposite way i.e. Try to answer the MKSAP Q after reading as little of it as possible since that is a truer depiction of the ABIM
MedStudy course material & videos were good but Qs were not
Kaplan Q book is WAY WAY overkill and should be used for learning rather than preparing
USMLE World Qs were so-so but relatively cheap @ $100 so might as well do them

Good Luck

Do you know if Program Directors get copies of our score reports at around the same time?

"A Program Director" would be the best to answer that. I suspect if not at the same time, shortly thereafter if you checked the box allowing them to get it.

I know this thread is for initial certification but some of the people who follow are probably doing maintenance of certification. I was wondering whether MOC is a lot easier or not. I won't have to worry until 2022 but just curious.

Got ABIM score today: 611. First time taking boards nearly 20 years after residency. Hard to imagine that I got in top decile. Thank you MedStudy & MKSAP.

Got ABIM score today: 611. First time taking boards nearly 20 years after residency. Hard to imagine that I got in top decile. Thank you MedStudy & MKSAP.

Wow...congrats. Pretty cool! Great job. What does the top decile start at?

Last edited:
Wow...congrats. Pretty cool! Great job. What does the top decile start at?
Thanks! I left the exam expecting that I did well, but was looking forward to the score to check for unwarranted optimism. Top decile starts at 586.

Even more cool that finding out my score was was studying and seeing how much IM has improved in the last 20 years, especially in understanding of the molecular basis of diseases and development of evidence-based guidelines. I've worked in ED's since my IM residency so I hadn't kept up with IM except through EM literature.

611? Wow!!! Congratulations. Did you do anything different from what others have expressed here?

I guess you just posted what you studied. Did you use MKSAP, Medstudy, any other commercial reviews?

I guess you just posted what you studied. Did you use MKSAP, Medstudy, any other commercial reviews?
I got the most out of MedStudy. I liked the videos and the books. The MedStudy Q&A helped as well. The flash cards were good in some areas, but quite weak in others.

I did all the MKSAP questions once and I thought they were useful -- especially the explanations. I didn't find the MKSAP text as useful, so I didn't read most of it. I did a ACP review course which was the least helpful and was very uneven across lecturers. I read Board Basic once the day before the test. I would have liked to have read it for 1-2 days more right before the test.

I took off work and studied 10 weeks for about 80 hours a week. Thanks to my wife for helping out with the kids so that I could study as much as I did.

611? Wow!!! Congratulations. Did you do anything different from what others have expressed here?
Not really, I posted what I studied in another post.

If I were to do it again, I'd study in the following order: MedStudy DVD/Books, MedStudy Q&A, MedStudy flash cards, MKSAP Q&A, BB. I'd skip the 3.5 day ACP course.

Two cents as I appreciated input from people when I was preparing.
About me:
-Passed this year, first time, just received score, around 85th percentile
-Historically very good test-taker
- around 30 percentile in all 3 in-service
- midtier training program

Preparation was very simple:
Went through mksap 5 about 3 times.
First time through started January of 3rd year of residency: scored around 68%
2nd time crammed over about 2 weeks: 85%
3rd time crammed even faster: 90%

Each time read through answers carefully.
Also read board basics once In detail, then skimmed through once.
Devoted about 4 weeks after residency to strict board study.

Not a plan that will work for everybody, but maybe for some.

Got mine today too. Solid but not through the roof. I'll take it. I did really well in some areas. In other areas, not so much...or maybe the group did really well there.

Thanks! I left the exam expecting that I did well, but was looking forward to the score to check for unwarranted optimism. Top decile starts at 586.

Even more cool that finding out my score was was studying and seeing how much IM has improved in the last 20 years, especially in understanding of the molecular basis of diseases and development of evidence-based guidelines. I've worked in ED's since my IM residency so I hadn't kept up with IM except through EM literature.

If you don't mind me asking, how many questions right is 611? If you do mind I understand.

If you don't mind me asking, how many questions right is 611? If you do mind I understand.
For me, it's 179/205 questions right. I'm am aware that questions having varying weights. Congratulations on your 'solid' score!

For me, it's 179/205 questions right. I'm am aware that questions having varying weights. Congratulations on your 'solid' score!

Thanks. You did great only missing 26. You better give these guys exactly what you did again. I'm sure they will want to copy! I would.

I wanted to wait for my score before posting...

I got a 551, so it's in the 9th decile. Very pleased with this as I failed last year. I wanted to post what I did the first time, and how I changed my approach this year.

I worked very hard both years, which is why I was so discouraged last year. I went through a 2-3 month depression; I questioned everything about my abilities. My confidence was very shaken by this exam. I felt like it ruled my life for the next year.

My prep for the 1st go around. I read all of the MKSAP texts and did all the questions 3x. It took 9 months to do all that... this is not a focused approach, and looking back it was a mistake. The one good thing you'll get out of MKSAP are the questions. I also did the ACP course (bleh). I also went through my actual exam too quickly, leaving 45-50 minutes on every block to go back over the questions. This was definately too quick. I realized the 2nd time around, the questions were very challenging, and it took all my brain power each block to really study the questions. You'll see this a lot... but people who are failing this test didn't think it was that hard, then the 2nd time around, it feels much more difficult (and often those are the ones who passed). I attribute this to understanding how tricky the exam can be. I also worked way too many shifts as a hospitalist in July.

2nd time around. I did all the questions I could get my hands on... all MKSAP (83% avg) again, MedStudy, Johns Hopkins review, Mayo clinic review, Kaplan (73% avg?), and USMLE World (57% avg). It added up to over 4000 questions. It may have been overkill, but I needed to do multiple question banks to solidy knowledge. I created a binder with all the different subjects, and any time I got a question wrong, I'd write down the concept in that binder. I had 100s and 100s of pearls by the end of my studying, and that binder was the only thing I looked at for the last week prior to the exam. All my weaknesses compiled into this compact binder so I could review points where I did not have a correct understanding of the material. On my weak subjects, I made sure that I wrote down more in those areas than my strong subjects. I did the med study flash cards, and I went to Awesome Review course (it was Awesome, but strangely not that high yield for my exam, funny enough). I read over this material 2 more times. USMLE world was a very challenging Q bank... but it was my favorite. It measured me against my peers, so I could gauge where I stood on a national average, more or less. The avg is about 53%, and I was 57%, so this boosted my confidence. Also, when you get a question wrong that 95% of test takers got correct, it shows that there was a definate lack of knowledge that needed to be remedied, quickly, or that you read the question wrong. It helps you very carefully read the questions. I found USMLE world extremely helpful, and I saved it for last. Though questions were difficult, I found it high yield for the actual exam as well.

Just a point about how it changed my patients' care. I caught diagnoses I normally would have missed. It changed lives on several occasions. My intellect was more keen and aware during my prep for the exam. I learned to love studying again, though this was a long process, and I bitterly resented the exam probably for 6 months or so after my fail. But as time went on, and I saw this was actually helping people, the resentment faded.

This forum was a source of strength for me. No one knew what I was going through, except the people right here. For anyone who failed... you are still a great doctor, you still know so much, sometimes and oftentimes even more than those who passed. There was just something about your prep that needs changing the next time around. I am a bad test taker, and I got in the 9th decile. Any one of you can do this if I can. It was the right prep that changed everything this time around.

Best of luck all of you!

I wanted to post what some people posted last year... This helped me after my fail, so I'll repost for anyone who failed, who needs strength.

Hi, I want to write about my experience to help people for next year. I did not pass last year -- 8th percentile with 67% of questions correct -- but studied well this year and reached the 85th percentile with 85% correct and passed easily. I did not have much time to study last year, and did perhaps 200-300 MKSAP questions total. I thought I'd get by even though in service scores were not spectacular, maybe 30-50th percentile range. I read a couple posts last year that helped me. I copy / paste them below. My method success was do MKSAP 2x through, take notes on all questions not obvious to me (created about 800 notes). First time thru maybe 60-65% correct. 2nd time 85%+. Did some sections last time thru and 90%+. Read board basics 2-3x - would have liked to do that more. Best book. Started studying in February. But key was to do ACP board review in Seattle. Doug Pauw teaches class and he is expert. Teaching boards x 25 yrs. Wrote/edited boards basics. Their materials held the topics to many (random) questions. Learn a lot from that which helps me in practice too. If you could only do 1 thing, go to that class. But only doing 1 thing is not enough if you did not pass. Accept that and work hard, or harder and differently than you did this year. I felt ****ty as well last year -- terrible actually -- but realize that you got this far and you can get through this too. I actually thought I did bad on the test this year. It is not easy, but ended doing well. All questions seem disguised or second order questions, so you need to have the basic info locked down. MKSAP and boards basics many times thru, with active notetaking and reviewing can do that. Good luck to all.

--------

A lot of people have been writing about failing the ABIM. I am one of those people who failed, studied, and passed the test this year. I wanted to share my experience in the hopes that this helps those who failed the exam. The first time, I took the test, I scored in the bottom decile. The second time around, I got the seventh decile. I was proud of this improvement. I worked as a full-time hospitalist during that year and was still able to accomplish this. So here are my tips and pointers.

1. Take your own pulse. Immediately after the test I was devastated. I questioned by own abilities and wondered how this might affect my career. This thinking is self-defeating and unhelpful. This test does NOT measure your abilities as a physician or your worth as a person. It is important to realize that the best doctors are hard-working, detail-oriented and compassionate towards their patients. The ability to recall the SAAG cutoffs rarely will affect life and death. However, your commitment to patient care and work ethic might. Also, it is very unlikely that this will affect your career. My group requires certification for partnership, but failing the test doesn't get you fired! Most groups have some policy in place (e.g., pass within three years of joining, etc). Right now, people can search and see that you're not certified, but once you pass the test, there will be no way for people to know about this. Your career will move on.

2. But do take an honest self-assessment. While this test is not a measure of physician excellence, it does measure SOMETHING. As others have pointed out, it is a relatively small number of questions that differentiates passing and non-passing scores. A small increase in medical knowledge can make the difference. In most cases, I think the test reveals that there was not enough learning and reviewing during residency. A brief cram session is inadequate if the basic knowledge is not there. In my case, I also had to face the fact that I was probably suffering from burnout and depression. While I don't think all shortcomings should be attributed to depression (a common habit in medicine programs), it is important to evaluate yourself for any symptoms of depression.

3. Realize that the ABIM is very different from the USMLE. Word recognition won't work! In the USMLE, questions can often be answered on recognition alone. If you recognize the condition, you can often answer the question easily. By contrast, the ABIM is testing confusing points or how to narrow a broad differential diagnosis. Knowing what they're testing can help you figure out the right answer.

4. Consider a review class. I took the Chicago ACP class. While expensive, it was very helpful preparation and review. They are good at showing you what points are tested. They can help you pick up easy points (e.g., derm pictures, peripheral smears, etc). Also, miserly loves company.

5. You need to use MKSAP. Some writers have recommended questions, questions, questions. I agree ... up to a point. If you failed the ABIM, there is a clear knowledge deficit (I'm not trying to offend; I'm just being honest). There is some information you need to know. I read each subject textbook twice and reviewed Board Basics multiple times. Highlight your underlines and underline your highlights.

6. Questions, Questions, Questions! I recommend using the computer version or MKSAP questions and creating multi-subject tests. Keep doing them until all questions are easy (>90% correct). When this is done, do some Med Study questions. Med Study tends to focus on tricky or easily-missed subjects. I recommend them in the weeks before the test to pick up some easy questions.

7. You need a plan. This will vary from person to person, but you need a plan. In my case, I work as a 7-on-7-off hospitalist. Studying during rounding weeks was almost impossible. So I focused on my off-days. I made sure that I spent a solid 2 hours every off day reading and doing questions. I have a family, so in my case, this meant going to a cafe so I could focus exclusively on my studying without distractions. Make sure you have time off from work in the weeks running into the test. I had a little under three weeks off, which seemed about right.

8. Don't forget to take care of yourself. When my studying was complete, I made sure to spend time with my family. I watched a little TV. I went to the gym. You can't let this take over your life.

9. Attitude matters. Don't be bitter or angry. If you can accept that this test has at least some meaning, then your studying will be much more enjoyable. If your belief is that the test is BS and the ABIM screwed you over, you will be miserable studying. And most likely, you'll fail the test again. If, however, you can accept that this information may be relevant and there is something for you to learn, the process will be much better. Tell yourself, "I may see this someday and this information may actually help my patient."

I hope this helps. Good luck to all of you

---------

sorry to create a new thread on the 2010 abim, but i thought this would be the best way for this info to be seen......

To be honest, i still do not have my official score as of yet, but when i took this years abim, i left feeling like i aced it.....now that it appears this was one of the harder versions of the ABIM, i would like to share with everyone who failed, how i prepared......

I actually graduated in 2009, but chose not to take the test right away since: 1) i was burned out, 2) i started my first job as a hospitalist 6 weeks before my scheduled exam in 2009.....therefore i ended up cancelling the test fearing that i would not pass......

fast forward to 2010, and i scheduled my test for aug 26th. I began my serious prep for this exam in june 2010. The first two challenges i faced was that i was working full time and my wife was due with our first child in early september......

I put in on avg, 2hrs a night during the weekdays, and about 4-6hrs a day on the weekend.

The main text i used was ACPS BOARD BASCICS 2. I cannot emphasize how important this text is. The normal mksap text is way too much info and med study to be honest is way to dense(and also has alot of board irrelevant material)

Board bascis 2 was awesome. very conscise, easy to read(you can read through it completely in about 3 days) and most importantly was the most board relevant text out there.

Also for questions i used all of mksap 14(which was not the lastest version). I would do all the questions, and then right notes on each question in a note book. I would then re-read the chapter(for example on heme-onc) in board basics, then re-read my notes, then repeat taking the mksap questions. i would do this until i was knew all the testable facts in each subject. of course you eventually "memorize" the anwsers, but what this does is that you memorize a testable fact.

I ended up reading board basics 2 from cover to cover over about 5 times. and did the all of mksap questions several times as well.

as i got closer to to the test date, i had a very old acp Question CD( i think from 2005), and i would use these questions(since they were brand new to me) to gauge how well i was doing. i was scoring above 80% on avg. i only took these questions once.

As many posts hint at, when i took the abim, the first 2 blocks were very easy and the afternoon blocks became increasingly harder...however as i left the test center, i felt very confident i passed. at least with the first 2 blocks, i felt i only missed 2-3 questions on avg in those blocks....

Trust me i have never been a good standardized test taker. i did very avg on all three step exams to be honest...i was shocked at how easy the whole test felt...also was shocked that alot people were saying it was hard(this of course made me very scared....any time i think i do good, i usually fail.)

I really think what made me pass was the text i choose(board basics 2) and going over constantly the mksap questions. I personally think medstudy is even a waste of your precious study time.....i mean u could spend a week memorizing all the stuff contained in there charts and none of it showed up on the abims....

also what helped me big time was making a very easy algorithm about cardiac murmurs... there is a good 5-10 questions on this stuff, and if u memorize a simple algorithm it becomes very easy...

i hope this post was not to long winded. but i wrote in sincere hope that whoever failed this year, can use the above info to beat the **** out of the test next year.....

i may post my algorithm, and other pneumonics that helped me along the way later....

if i leave you with anything, it is get board basics 2.

Hi guys so got my score and got a 621.....
Read my post earlier on how I prepared for this exam. If any questions feel free to message me...good luck!!

Got mine today too. Solid but not through the roof. I'll take it. I did really well in some areas. In other areas, not so much...or maybe the group did really well there.

Congrats! "Pass" is "Pass" - job well done!

Hi guys so got my score and got a 621.....
Read my post earlier on how I prepared for this exam. If any questions feel free to message me...good luck!!

Pretty awesome. I used First Aid for USMLE but nobody mentioned it for ABIM. I forgot it existed. People taking it next year should thank you.