Official AMCAS 2008 thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For independent biological research done for credit, i.e. Bio 398/399 at my institution, do you mark it as lecture only, lab only, or lecture and lab both?

What about for social research?

I put it down as lab only. Were you ever in a classroom (did your professor lecture about the research)? If not, I would put lab only.

I'm not sure about social research . . .

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know how much it is to process the amcas application for each school? is it something like $100 for the first school and then $30 for each additional one?
and if i submit my application with some schools, but decide to add more schools later, do i have to pay that flat fee of $100 or whatever it is again, or is it just an additional $30 per school?
thanks!
this process is so expensive! :scared:

You get an email if your notifications are on.
Or on the Main Page click the details link on the left under status.

How do u know if your notifications are on?

Also it's been like 2 weeks since I sent my transcripts and they haven't gotten them yet. Should I be worried?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know how much it is to process the amcas application for each school? is it something like $100 for the first school and then $30 for each additional one?
and if i submit my application with some schools, but decide to add more schools later, do i have to pay that flat fee of $100 or whatever it is again, or is it just an additional $30 per school?
thanks!
this process is so expensive! :scared:
$160 for the first school then $30 for each additional at any time.

where can i get my hands on the MSAR? ordering it from the amcas site takes too long (4-6 weeks). i checked out barnes and noble yesterday but they said they dont carry it. does anyone know where i can get a copy fast?

where can i get my hands on the MSAR? ordering it from the amcas site takes too long (4-6 weeks). i checked out barnes and noble yesterday but they said they dont carry it. does anyone know where i can get a copy fast?

Check with your pre-med advisor. They should have a copy you can look through.

I got mine from Amazon and not only was it cheaper (~$17 I think) but it got here in 2-3 weeks. You might try there.

I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but I ordered it from the amcas site using the cheapest shipping available (FedEx Saver) on Sunday (May 27th) and got it Wednesday. It could depend on your location though.

So, I know this has been touched on before, but my situation is slightly different. I took the Bio and Chem AP and got a 4 and 5 respectively. I then went to community college where they didnt accept them. When I transferred to University they did. So, my AP credit only appears on the instution where I entered as a junior. I know some people were saying to enter it as Freshman but I wasnt even at the school during freshman year. The transcript shows that I got credit for it and that it was taken in 2000, but there is no 2000 academic year on the drop menu. What academic year and what standing do I put it under?

Also, the AMCAS instuctions say that if the transcript doesnt state any course equivalent for the AP's then to use "AP credit:biology" in the course name section. However, my transcript lists the AP credit as one lump of 16 quarter units. Should I put it down as "AP credit:biology and chemistry" and with 16 units, or should I put them separately as two 8 unit courses?

Somebody please help! I really dont want to get my AMCAS sent back.

i ordered mine from the amcas and it took 1 week.

Question: when entering in summer classes between freshmen and sophomore year, do you list the classes as under a freshmen or a sophomore?

Additionally, how do we enter in AP credit?

Members don't see this ad :)
Question: when entering in summer classes between freshmen and sophomore year, do you list the classes as under a freshmen or a sophomore?

Additionally, how do we enter in AP credit?

for your first question...from the Help section on AMCAs:
"Courses taken in the summer should be entered with the next academic year, even if your institution considers them in the previous year. For example, if you took a course in the first summer session of 2001, you should enter it as 2001-2002 even if your school considers it in the 2000-2001 academic year."

AP credit is listed under the institution that awarded you credit. For the course name:

"If the transcript from the college awarding AP credit does not list actual course names, enter the subject area for which credit has been earned (e.g., AP Credit: English) as the Course Name."

Hope that helps!

nevermind i figured it out:

summer classes- if take summer classes after freshmen year, then they would go with the sophomore year.

ap credit- this should be listed under freshmen year (though i'm not sure about the term)...

i have a question about primary language...my first instinct was to choose English...but my first language is Chinese and I didn't learn English until I was 4-5. Now I speak both fluently and use both regularly - which is the primary?
Would it help my VR score of 9 to pick Chinese as my primary language, or does that make things look even worse? Any help would be appreciated!

ap credit- this should be listed under freshmen year (though i'm not sure about the term)...

I don't think that's correct. Why wouldn't you just put it under the year you actually took the AP course?

Anyone know what time (historically) applications can be submitted on the first day?

Anyone know what time (historically) applications can be submitted on the first day?

Around noon EST. But seriously, don't be that paranoid. :rolleyes:

Should i wait for my may MCAT scores to come back before I'm applying if i retook the MCAT? I didn't do so well on my first time and I was just wondering if the medical schools will just take a look at my application and discard it because of my low first MCAT and not look at it again when my 2nd mcat scores come.

Edit: never mind there was already another thread about this.

I don't think that's correct. Why wouldn't you just put it under the year you actually took the AP course?

People generally take the AP tests during high school, and high school years are not available on the drop down school year menu. That's why i guess they want you to put them under freshman year.

Around noon EST. But seriously, don't be that paranoid. :rolleyes:

I have nothing to do tomorrow but submit my application.

P.S. How did you find this out?

Is it possible to add schools to your application after you've sumbitted it to AMCAS? The reason I ask is that I haven't received my MCAT scores yet, so if I did better then I thought I'd like to add some schools.

The deed is done!

Is it possible to add schools to your application after you've sumbitted it to AMCAS? The reason I ask is that I haven't received my MCAT scores yet, so if I did better then I thought I'd like to add some schools.

Going wisdom says "yes." Can anyone confirm/deny?

Ari

Yes.

Done.
All, post a reply when AMCAS has verified & processed your application.
GL!

The finally received my electronic transcripts from UT Austin that were sent a week ago! I can't even imagine how long it's going to take sending my other transcripts from UNT by mail. Geez.

LOL, I win. June 21st, whatever...
(On my AMCAS account) AMCAS Processing is Complete Application has been made available to the designated medical schools.

Congratulations,

Your AMCAS 2008 application has completed processing. Please log on and review your application using the Print Application option located on the right side of the Main Menu.

Important Information:
You are required to review your verified course work and GPA. If you find discrepancies, or you disagree with changes made during the verification process, you are responsible for submitting an Academic Change Request within ten days from the date AMCAS processing is complete. The Academic Change Request option is available on the right side of the Main Menu. Please read the online help text for more information about the Academic Change Request process.

Thank you for using AMCAS, and best wishes during your medical school admissions process.

I have a question about course work section. I did summer classes at a different school. I had a transcript sent for the course work I did there. The next summer, I did SMEP at the same place. On my transcript, there is a note that I participated in the program (basically it just says the program name, non-degree status, and the school at the top of the page) but there is nothing in the grade, credit, course name or number categories. Do I need to include this is the course work section of the AMCAS or is it ok to just put it in work/activities? If so, anyone have any advice on how I should go about doing it since some of the fields that I don't have anything for on my transcript are required?

Thanks and congrats to those who are done! I'm almost there....

(On my AMCAS account) AMCAS Processing is Complete Application has been made available to the designated medical schools.

Congratulations,

Your AMCAS 2008 application has completed processing. Please log on and review your application using the Print Application option located on the right side of the Main Menu.

Important Information:
You are required to review your verified course work and GPA. If you find discrepancies, or you disagree with changes made during the verification process, you are responsible for submitting an Academic Change Request within ten days from the date AMCAS processing is complete. The Academic Change Request option is available on the right side of the Main Menu. Please read the online help text for more information about the Academic Change Request process.

Thank you for using AMCAS, and best wishes during your medical school admissions process.

congrats.. did u send ur application this morning?

I spent 4 hours this morning at Newport Beach Court House trying to remove a misdemeanor from my record... and I succeeded!!!! =P

No one wants to report a misdemeanor they were convicted/arrested for, it just looks bad, especially for those who have weak numbers like me.

should i submit my AMCAS before they receive my transcript or just wait until AMCAS gets it? the transcript is already in the mail...

My application has been processed as well.

So for a poster presentation for research (at an undergrad poster session), should I list it separately in the activities section, or is it not a big enough deal to list separately?
thanks!

Why does amcas say they will send out apps on the 21st?

then how long does it take to get verified?

Hey I have a few quick questions:

1. Is the "country, state, city" designation for the contact person or for the location of the activity?

2. What should you title the experience name for a publication? "Published Paper in <name of journal>"? I am planning on also listing an activity for the research position I held at the time, so the description has to be different, right?

3. If you wanted to designate "traveling" as an activity under the "hobby " topic (which has been suggested on other threads), how would you go about spinning that into an actual hobby?

Thanks so much for the help! :eek:

Submitted! very odd having absolutely nothing to work on...until secondaries come in...

one oddity - AMCAS received my transcript about 1 week ago, but when I submitted I got this message:

* Submitted to AMCAS - Waiting for Transcripts Applicant has certified and submitted application but AMCAS application is pending processing while AMCAS waits for transcripts.

any thoughts?

Submitted! very odd having absolutely nothing to work on...until secondaries come in...

one oddity - AMCAS received my transcript about 1 week ago, but when I submitted I got this message:

* Submitted to AMCAS - Waiting for Transcripts Applicant has certified and submitted application but AMCAS application is pending processing while AMCAS waits for transcripts.

any thoughts?

That is what mine said for a few hours. Now it says it is ready for review and in line. Someone told me it was not a big deal and just takes them some time to get it all together.

Here's my question: Even though some people are already verified they have to wait until the 21st for schools to receive their app? So other than reviewing our app once amcas verifies it we have nothing to do until sometime after the 21st, correct?

I sent in 4 transcripts to AMCAS. The have received 3 of them, and are still waiting on the 4th.

My school sent the 4th like 3 weeks ago...

What's up with that?

Here's my question: Even though some people are already verified they have to wait until the 21st for schools to receive their app? So other than reviewing our app once amcas verifies it we have nothing to do until sometime after the 21st, correct?

Pretty much. You'll probably start seeing secondaries in July, and then you'll be busy again.

Congratulations,

Important Information:

Just checked my e-mail and got the same message... now just waiting on test scores :rolleyes:

Amcas submitted around 10:00 hours June 5, 2007. Amcas verified this afternoon, June 6, 2007. I am really glad that it was verified this fast. I expected at least 4-5 day time.

Me too. Submitted 10:30 am CST yesterday, verified 2:30 pm CST today. I had six transcripts and a transcript exception request, so complications don't seem to hold up the verification.

Also, oddly, it says on my status page that my "Application has been made available to the designated medical schools." Not sure if that's right, or if they're waiting until the 21st like they posted on the main AMCAS web page. Weird.

How long do you think it will take around June 18th?