Official AMCAS 2008 thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a question about the Course Work Section of AMCAS. When looking at the summary section a paragraph in red shows that I may have a problem because some of my classes do not have grades. I had to input future classes I will be taking so I can't fix it and I checked that I clicked future classes. Is anyone else seeing this message? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question about the Course Work Section of AMCAS. When looking at the summary section a paragraph in red shows that I may have a problem because some of my classes do not have grades. I had to input future classes I will be taking so I can't fix it and I checked that I clicked future classes. Is anyone else seeing this message? Thanks.

Yep, I get the the same message. The Help section says to enter grades only if they`re on your transcript and the message states to enter grades only if it is necessary. I`m leaving my future classes without grades, I`m sure it will be fine.

Just thought I'd tell everyone that my status went from being "in line," to it being in the process of being verified...

Well, the process of getting verified took...literally...a matter of hours...

It was very, very fast...

I'm surprised...

Now it is time to add some more schools on there...

Is this normal for right now? Are we in one of the "peak periods" that takes 4-6 weeks or whatever? I'm wondering if I've screwed myself over by waiting a week...

Also, thanks to whoever who advised me to call AMCAS--hold was not too bad and the lady who answered my questions was really nice. I highly recommend giving them a call if you need it; I think they are open 9-7.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone figure out how to get a receipt? I should have printed on the transaction authorization page but I figured they'd send me an email receipt.

I might have to call AMCAS.

I got this message both this year and last year. For me, I believe it's because my AP classes appear on my transcript as credit, but obviously I don't get grades for them. It didn't cause me any problems, as far as I know.

I won't be ready to send in amcas for another 2 weeks or so. I'm taking my mcat in july so I can't possibly even be complete before mid-august.

my question: can I request transcripts to be sent to amcas now so that they'll be waiting when I click "submit"?

thanks!

yup, you can send in youir transcript right now and that way they will be recieved and set to go for sure when you submit. I sent my transcript in two weeks before i actually submitted just to make sure that AMCAS would get it for sure.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but what exactly does the new message about June 21st mean. Does this mean that even though my application is complete, and it says it will be available to the schools I applied to, the schools won't be able to access the application until June 21st? If so, the why do they indicate that the application is now available to the schools in the DETAILS section?

1. My paper JUST got accepted for publication. What should I put for the publication date? (Am I supposed to know when it will be published?)

2. Under experience description, I basically described what my paper/research was about under the "Research/Lab" listing. Is it redundant to describe my research again under the "Publications" listing?

3. I have another publication from two years ago. Under "Experience description," should I just put the citation?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

what is the current turnaround time for AMCAS processing after all your stuff is in?

I cant figure out what to classify my US Health Care System's class under.

would it be Health Sciences?? I put my Medical Sociology class under Behavioral and Social Sciences, but cant figure this one out. The AMCAS manual didn't help either. Should I call AMCAS? I have other questions too, like what my Independent Research goes under. All these stupid details, how do u guys get around them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe someone can help me here.

I took a class called "Functional Human Anatomy", a lab/lecture that focused on musculoskeletal anatomy and included a cadaver lab. It is offered by the Kinesiology department, not the Biology department. Do I list it as "Biology" or "Health Sciences" in the course classification pulldown menu?

Maybe someone can help me here.

I took a class called "Functional Human Anatomy", a lab/lecture that focused on musculoskeletal anatomy and included a cadaver lab. It is offered by the Kinesiology department, not the Biology department. Do I list it as "Biology" or "Health Sciences" in the course classification pulldown menu?

i had a similar class offered in the Anthropology department. I classified it as Biology and it was calculated in my BCPM.

i had a similar class offered in the Anthropology department. I classified it as Biology and it was calculated in my BCPM.

Awesome, thanks.

Also, in looking at my transcripts, I took a chem class/lab at another institution other than my home institution while I was doing an internship for a semester, and of course I have transcripts for that, but on the transcripts for my home institution, it says "ADVANCED STANDING" and lists my home institution's equivalents of the lecture/lab I took elsewhere. Do I include that on my AMCAS course list, and if so, how?? It seems very redundant too, since I have a separate school/course entry for the specific lecture/lab I took and separate transcripts.

I cant figure out what to classify my US Health Care System's class under.

would it be Health Sciences?? I put my Medical Sociology class under Behavioral and Social Sciences, but cant figure this one out. The AMCAS manual didn't help either. Should I call AMCAS? I have other questions too, like what my Independent Research goes under. All these stupid details, how do u guys get around them?

similar question here. i took 2 classes: one on Environmental/Health Care Issues in America and one on International Medicine. any idea how to classify? thanks!

Ok, so I've read all about formatting problems when copying and pasting your PS from Word to the AMCAS text box . . . I just did it as an experiment to see what happens and it looks like everything is fine . . . it all fits, when you hit "complete" or "done" or whatever it shows it written out all in front of you, and when I go to "print application" to see what it actually looks like, it appears to all be there, formatted correctly.

Should I still be worried? Anyone else have this happen? Is it because I'm using Firefox?

do adcoms know how many and which medical schools we apply to?

Technically they can find out... but they are not supposed too. But most respect the privacy and don't look.

For any course that I had that was public healthish that doesn't fit under easily under a specific category, I put under healthsciences because that is where AMCAS says to put public health

I just submitted an academic change request, and there's a typo in it due in part to the glitchy form. I know that tomorrow the app will get sent out to schools, and then updated if the change goes through after that, but do the schools see the change request or just the results of the change? It's a stupid thing to be paranoid about I know, but in a process that seems random, it's hard not to be worried about small but obvious mistakes....

Ok, so I've read all about formatting problems when copying and pasting your PS from Word to the AMCAS text box . . . I just did it as an experiment to see what happens and it looks like everything is fine . . . it all fits, when you hit "complete" or "done" or whatever it shows it written out all in front of you, and when I go to "print application" to see what it actually looks like, it appears to all be there, formatted correctly.

Should I still be worried? Anyone else have this happen? Is it because I'm using Firefox?

I used Firefox also and had no problems. Instead of printing my app, I saved it as a pdf file.

Usually the formatting problems come in if you use a lot of quotation marks, apostrophes, or Tabs. If you didn't use these, you shouldn't have any formatting problems (though your character count might be a little off)

do adcoms know how many and which medical schools we apply to?

They shouldn't unless they ask you. They do find out where you've been accepted after you've been accepted, though.

this question was asked before but i dont think anyone answered it. i submitted my application 10 days ago and it was processed a week ago. tonight, i added a few more schools and resubmitted. granted that amcas wont stop uploading the apps to the schools until tomorrow, will my adding the new schools delay their reception of my application? in other words, did i just set myself back in the pile? anyone know?

this question was asked before but i dont think anyone answered it. i submitted my application 10 days ago and it was processed a week ago. tonight, i added a few more schools and resubmitted. granted that amcas wont stop uploading the apps to the schools until tomorrow, will my adding the new schools delay their reception of my application? in other words, did i just set myself back in the pile? anyone know?

I don't know, but I'm guessing since they already verified your application, they'll just send it to the new schools along with all the ones you indicated initially.

I submitted mine on Sunday, added about 10 extra schools yesterday and got verified today, so I'm pretty sure the answer is no, it doesn't delay it at all.

edit: oops... misread your question. I'm not sure about the actual application being sent out...

When I got mine verified today, my human physiology class has a red X next to it when all the other classes have a red /... I'm guessing this means they didn't use it in the gpa calculations... anyone know why they wouldn't?

It sucks, b/c I made an A in it and could use the gpa help. Should I send an academic change request?

When I got mine verified today, my human physiology class has a red X next to it when all the other classes have a red /... I'm guessing this means they didn't use it in the gpa calculations... anyone know why they wouldn't?

All of my other normal classes have the red /. It sucks, b/c I made an A in it and could use the gpa help.

It just means that they changed something about it, not that they didn't use it in your GPA calculation.

Dammit. So I took a class at a different university while away from my regular school doing an internship. Then, after graduating, I took a class at the same place.

I originally listed the school once on my AMCAS, but then realized I could not properly list that second class I took as "post-baccalaureate" unless I made a second listing for the school, listing the dates attended as starting after I graduated already.

Here's the thing . . . my AMCAS has already listed my transcripts as "received" for this institution, and they have both classes on it. But I failed to realize (until submitting my AMCAS) that since I added this second listing, it now says "Not Received" next to the second listing.

What do I do? I don't want to have to send an entirely new transcript to AMCAS since they already have that transcript! It's basically just a stupid semantic issue now, and I don't see why there would be a problem.

Damn.

Dammit. So I took a class at a different university while away from my regular school doing an internship. Then, after graduating, I took a class at the same place.

I originally listed the school once on my AMCAS, but then realized I could not properly list that second class I took as "post-baccalaureate" unless I made a second listing for the school, listing the dates attended as starting after I graduated already.

Here's the thing . . . my AMCAS has already listed my transcripts as "received" for this institution, and they have both classes on it. But I failed to realize (until submitting my AMCAS) that since I added this second listing, it now says "Not Received" next to the second listing.

What do I do? I don't want to have to send an entirely new transcript to AMCAS since they already have that transcript! It's basically just a stupid semantic issue now, and I don't see why there would be a problem.

Damn.

Don't get too stressed. I was in a similar situation. I took some classes at the local JC during high school. Then after doing my undergrad (and a short stint in the Air Force) decided I wanted to use my business degree to it's fullest and pursue medical school. Obviously I needed some more science classes for pre-reqs which I took as a postbac at the same JC.

On my application the pre-undergrad classes I marked that a transcript was required. I then had to re-enter the school, this time classifying myself as a postbac, and marked that transcripts were not required. Under justification there was a section that said (in not so many words) "transcript already submitted."

I would still recommend talking to AMCAS directly about it...but don't get too bent out of shape...everything is going to be just fine.

Hope my key plunking has helped a bit.

Don't get too stressed. I was in a similar situation. I took some classes at the local JC during high school. Then after doing my undergrad (and a short stint in the Air Force) decided I wanted to use my business degree to it's fullest and pursue medical school. Obviously I needed some more science classes for pre-reqs which I took as a postbac at the same JC.

On my application the pre-undergrad classes I marked that a transcript was required. I then had to re-enter the school, this time classifying myself as a postbac, and marked that transcripts were not required. Under justification there was a section that said (in not so many words) "transcript already submitted."

I would still recommend talking to AMCAS directly about it...but don't get too bent out of shape...everything is going to be just fine.

Hope my key plunking has helped a bit.

It definitely does, thanks. I was just extra stressed out last night for several reasons, and that little bump in the road didn't help.

I just spoke with an AMCAS representative (only held for about 30 seconds) and she was able to switch that second listing to "Does not require transcripts." I wonder if she had to add anything in the "justification" box or whatever.

Anyway, now it says ready for review, hopefully that will be the last pothole before I'm all verified. Thanks again for your reassurance though, this whole process (and SDN:) ) makes you crazy sometimes.

i am in line to be verified!!! "Ready for Review"!!! :luck:

Ready for review...that was scary...it was REALLY hard to hit submit, but I was just tired of reading it again and again!

A friend of mine had heard that if you don't plan on turning in your last quarters transcript (b/c you dont want to wait for long grade verification process), yet you know your grades, you can still put the grades down w/o a transcript backing it up. Thats not true right? I really don't feel like being put on hold calling AMCAS so i just want to double check here. Thanks!

A friend of mine had heard that if you don't plan on turning in your last quarters transcript (b/c you dont want to wait for long grade verification process), yet you know your grades, you can still put the grades down w/o a transcript backing it up. Thats not true right? I really don't feel like being put on hold calling AMCAS so i just want to double check here. Thanks!

You're right, they won't just take your word for it without having the transcripts to back it up.

Looking up secondaries that are already available. My schedule is crazy right now, so any little head start will help.

This sucks... the few classes I took in High School at a Community College just killed my Science GPA =(

Should we be listing the courses that we will be taking in the upcoming semester? Or only the courses that we currently have grades for?

Thank you!!

So now that apps are released, what is everyone doing to pass the time?

Chilling out until secondaries... oh wait, scratch that, I got two today. So now I get to work on those. :)

Should we be listing the courses that we will be taking in the upcoming semester? Or only the courses that we currently have grades for?

Thank you!!

You can put them down if you want to, under current/future courses. I put the classes I was registered for in the fall, just because I'll be taking them when I'm going on interviews. There's nothing binding about them.

YES YES YES, GOLF!!! And of course working full time in a medical office and part-time in the ER. But GOLF GOLF GOLF! :)

Hi guys. I took my MCAT on May 31st and the score has already been released. But my AMCAS still says I have an additional MCAT on May 31st. Should I do something about that, like re-answering the question about additional MCAT with a no?

YES YES YES, GOLF!!! And of course working full time in a medical office and part-time in the ER. But GOLF GOLF GOLF! :)

I just started taking lessons!

It's quite exciting. And now I can really practice since I finally submitted my primary (there were some technical holdups....)