Official AMCAS 2008 thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My school doesn't let the student decide how to count the course. Biological Psychology is taught by someone from the Psych department, so it's a Psych class- even though I counted it towards a Neuro major.

So, on my transcript it's listed as a Psych class.

I'm starting to think that I'm just gonna have to put it down as a psych class. which kinda sucks.

No, it totally sucks. I'm in the same boat as you: neuroscience major with many of my major courses taught by faculty in the psych department and similiarly categorized as psych classes, when material-wise, they were undoubtedly science classes. I worked much harder in developmental neurobiology than I ever did in virology, damn it. It needs to count! :mad:

I didn't realize this was the case until my junior year, so I started loading up on biology classes then. I actually meet all of the requirements for a BS in biology, save for one course. I think had I known about this stupid reasoning as a freshman, I would have never majored in neuroscience.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused by this and I tried looking through the AMCAS guide but found nothing. Are you saying that if I take a graduate level science course in undergrad that this won't count towards my BCPM?

I'd also like to know this.

Basically I majored in an honors program that is not really "concentrated" in anything, kind of an interdisciplinary program that is placed under the college of liberal arts within my university. My major does not officially recognize ANY minors no matter what. I am saying I got a major in this program and I minored in pre-med and business. Would that be fair considering I took enough hours in each to be considered a minor in other majors at my school than the major I am in?

I know it is weird, I hate that they don't permit minors in my program.

It stinks, but I doubt they'll let you count a minor if it's not on your transcript. Call AMCAS if you're unclear, but blame your school if/when they say "no."

Ari

Members don't see this ad :)
Has AMCAS recieved anyones transcripts yet? I overnighted mine and I am a very impatient person :)

Three of mine have been received. The fourth (and final one) hasn't been sent from my (lazy ass) current school yet.

I got 1 of 2 received today.

sorry, but how can you tell if AMCAS receives the transcripts? do you get an e-mail or is it on your AMCAS page?

thanks!

Both of mine were received today... One more thing out of the way!

I got a quick Q...

I took a class over the summer of 2005 and withdrew within the first week of taking it and according to my unofficial transcript from there it was never listed as a coures I enrolled/took...so should I assume that I don't have to list the course from this school on AMCAS?

You probably don't have to list it. Most schools have a registration deadline by which all of your add/drop/changes must be complete for nothing to appear on your transcript. A week sure seems about right.

Just to be safe, you should get a copy of your official transcript and make sure it's not on there. But as I said, you should be fine.

-z

I did this last year and forgot how long it takes. My school informed me they sent it the 10th...is it around one week to two weeks for AMCAS to receive the transcript? I don't want to start tracking it down until it's necessary...

*Edit: Nevermind, I just got the email saying that they had received my transcript.

1. I have an amazing internship this summer with a very specific goal (develop a program to screen for sexual assault in the healthcare setting for local clinics). I will start on June 1st so that gives me 4 working days before my AMCAS can be submitted. Can I still include this in my activities or should I wait for secondaries to include it (some ask what else you have done since submitting your AMCAS)? Any ideas?

2. Ugh....I am part of a program at my college that is a "series of integrated coursework..." It's not honors, it's just more work and classes in history, philosophy, religion, etc. with a small group of students. I really enjoy it, and registered for it becuase I knew it would force me to take classes outside of the sciences. On my transcript the department name is separate from any other department. So do I classify all of the classes as "other" or should I break them up into "History", "Philosophy/Religion", etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a similar question...I'm doing in incredible internship in Asia this July/August (International Public Health and Infectious Diseases). I know I can't talk about it in my personal statement, as I'm submitting my primary before I leave, and should discuss it in my secondaries...but would it be frowned upon if I described what I will be doing (which I already know in detail) in my Activities?

I think schools will look down upon listing activities that you have not yet started. Personally, I would advise against it.

i would advise against it as well. you can always write an update letter in the fall about any new activities.

No, it totally sucks. I'm in the same boat as you: neuroscience major with many of my major courses taught by faculty in the psych department and similiarly categorized as psych classes, when material-wise, they were undoubtedly science classes. I worked much harder in developmental neurobiology than I ever did in virology, damn it. It needs to count! :mad:

I didn't realize this was the case until my junior year, so I started loading up on biology classes then. I actually meet all of the requirements for a BS in biology, save for one course. I think had I known about this stupid reasoning as a freshman, I would have never majored in neuroscience.

You should classify your classes according to content, not department, as indicated in the AMCAS "Help" section. Generally it will be pretty obvious from the title of the course how it should be classified. Although I guess with bio-oriented courses in a psych dept you could classify the course however is most advantageous for your GPA breakdown. Hope this helps!

Why does the AMCAS application have a spot for high school GPA? Are we really supposed to send them our HS transcript as well or does this part not really matter to most schools?

Why does the AMCAS application have a spot for high school GPA? Are we really supposed to send them our HS transcript as well or does this part not really matter to most schools?

I did not see this, where is it at??

I've read in other threads that it only takes a day or so to have your AMCAS re-certified, but I just want to make sure before I proceed with my plan. I'm having trouble writing my essays, so I want to concentrate on the MD-only essay. I'll then submit the app with one essay to the MD-only schools in early June, spend the next two weeks writing the MD/PhD essays, and then submit to the MudPhud schools I'm applying to. It will allow me to add the MudPhud essays as soon as I add the appropriate programs, even if I've submitted already, right? And it won't take more than a day or two, since they've already verified my transcripts?

Thanks,
Ari

OncDoc19 said:
I'm confused by this and I tried looking through the AMCAS guide but found nothing. Are you saying that if I take a graduate level science course in undergrad that this won't count towards my BCPM?

Incorrect. If you take a graduate level science course as an undergrad that belongs to the BCPM designation, like graduate biology courses, it will count towards your science GPA.

How detailed does everyone get in their work/activities descriptions? I'm really kind of clueless as to how to fill this section out and how "formal" to make the description.

Also, does anyone know if multiple published research papers should be each given their own listing or if it's better to use one listing and list all of them in the description like they say to do for awards?

Personally, I'm filling in the info to make it short and sweet so I can just get the point across without any "fluff".

Ok I have a couple questions, and as always I apologize if they've been covered before, but I did a search and didn't really turn up anything specifically about my topics.

1. I took two classes at one institution, several semesters apart, while enrolled in my actual undergraduate school (where I graduated from). When I list the "start" and "finish" dates of that school, should I list the "start" as the start of the first class and the "finish" as the end of the second one, even though they span more than a year? Or do I have to make two separate entries for this school?

2. Ok so for transcripts, I technically have 4 institutions I attended so I need them all obviously. Do I just have to send one copy of official transcripts (with the AMCAS transcript request form) to AMCAS? I was reading the AMCAS guide and it sounded like I needed 15 copies of transcripts from each of my institutions to send to each med school if I was applying to 15 of them. I've been told various things about the transcript issue, so if anyone could walk me through that entire process (where we need to send them exactly, how many copies, etc). I have a pre-med committee that will be writing my LOR, and I made sure I had the official transcripts of my other 3 schools sent to their office . . . so then I just have to send one copy each of my 4 different offical transcripts to the central AMCAS office?

Edit: technically I think my second question has been "answered" before, but in doing a search I came up with lots of confusing info that sort of conflicted (at least to me), so I wanted to get a more straight answer.

not sure about your first question. as for the second: you send ONE copy from each school you attended to AMCAS. any further sending of transcripts will be on a school to school basis and you would send that to the school if they request it.

1. I took two classes at one institution, several semesters apart, while enrolled in my actual undergraduate school (where I graduated from). When I list the "start" and "finish" dates of that school, should I list the "start" as the start of the first class and the "finish" as the end of the second one, even though they span more than a year? Or do I have to make two separate entries for this school?

I would personally list it as start of the first class and the finish of the second class. I assume both classes will appear on the same transcript so that seems like the intuitive thing to do. Otherwise, you should email AMCAS. They take questions too and they are very very quick about questions.

I have a bunch of experiences which I sunk a bunch of time into, but highly irregularly (e.g. I had a multi-year interest in a certain wacky topic, spent many hundreds of hours on it in multi-day spurts). Should I list average hours for those, or simply leave the hour field blank and allow the accomplishments to come out of it to stand for themselves?

Thanks,
Ari

Alright, so it appears that listing anecdotes/fluff/whatever you want to call it is probably looked down upon... but.....

when listing shadowing experiences should I just put "Shadowed a Nephrologist, approximately 16 hours; shadowed a Ob/Gyn, approximately 40 hours......"

or, should I include something about each, for example: "Shadowed a Nephrologist and met with dialysis patients, appx 16 hours; shadowed a Ob/Gyn during office appointments for annual check ups and maternity appointments, discussed at length the high levels of malpractice insurance associated with Ob/Gyn care......"

?

i have a question about entering courses that were repeated

i know that I have to enter the course twice and include both grades received, but I'm confused about the "Special Courses Type" box at the bottom, where I indicate the repeat course. Should I check the "repeat" box for both entries? or just for the second entry?

Thanks!

No, the above posters were wrong. In the AMCAS instruction manual (see below), it's pretty explicit that ANY courses taken while an undergraduate count towards one's undergraduate GPA (and hence their BCPM), even if the courses were at the graduate level.

I found the exact info, from p. 42 of AMCAS instruction manual:
"Do NOT assign Graduate (GR) status to any professional or graduate-level course work applied to an undergraduate degree. Assign appropriate undergraduate status (FR, SO, JR, SR)."

I presume that even if a graduate-level course was taken and was not used to satisfy requirements for one's undergrad degree, if the applicant had not yet received their undergrad degree then the course should be listed under the appropriate undergrad designation.

ok so this is more of a general question...
i have a 3.44 gpa, 34 MCAT, and out of state applicant.. next year i will be going to cincinnati for their post bacc program and was basically wondering if i should apply early decision for their med school cause i know it's my number 1 choice?

Thanks Solitude! I was getting a little nervous there.

Ok, it's not letting me quote posts, but this is directed to bjb305. Only apply early decision if your application is VERY competitive at the school. With a 3.4 GPA I'm not really sure this is a good idea. I don't know the particular school's stats, but I'm guessing the GPA average is above 3.4, especially for early decision accepted applicants. Only a couple of people are generally accepted early decision at any school and those people are those that the ADCOMs feel confident are some of the top candidates overall to the school. Plus if you don't get in ED then your primary doesn't go out to other schools until mid-october, which is a BIG disadvantage! I would apply early and broadly and then hope for an early acceptance to this school, but if the worst happens, then hopefully you get other offers and won't have to reapply.

I believe the wording is "post-high school," in which case I'd say yes. It's not going to matter too much either way, but I'd say go ahead and put it down. If you want to be sure, you can always call AMCAS (or wait for someone wiser to chip in). They're quite friendly.

Ari

Where did you see the "post-high school" wording? I just looked over the help section for Work/Activities but can't find it. im a reapplicant - last time i applied, i put in some relevant job experiences from junior and senior year of high school. i feel like it cant hurt, esp. if i have the extra slots. any opinions?

For a pass/fail class, do we list the 'P' for pass, as AMCAS states, or should we enter what's on our transcript (a 'S' at my university)?
Hey i have this same question. Does anyone have any idea. My feeling is to write "S" but I'm not sure.

Also I've heard from people to make titles interesting in the works/activities section. What are they talking about. For example , if I shadowed a doctor in the ER, what would an interesting but not corny title be? Thanks in advance

Hey another question. I am not sure whether I should just state what I did for each work/activity or if I should explain what I learned and gained from the experience. What do you all think? Would explaining what was learnt from 15 experiences just sound cheesy or is it just me. Thanks.

Okay so if I'm taking the MCAT in July, I can go ahead and submit my AMCAS in June, and they will send the application to the schools. The schools will then get my MCAT score whenever it is graded, but they will already have my application?

I can do that right?

Also, the classes that I'm registered to take in the fall have, obviously, no grades with them. Do I leave those off the coursework section, or put them down just with no grades?

I sent my transcripts like two weeks ago, and AMCAS only today received one of them. What the heck? Does it always take that long?

I noticed the Hobbies section of the E.C.. So, should I list hobbies such as soccer in which I participate in an adult league?

Okay so if I'm taking the MCAT in July, I can go ahead and submit my AMCAS in June, and they will send the application to the schools. The schools will then get my MCAT score whenever it is graded, but they will already have my application?

I can do that right?

According to my school's application manual and general SDN wisdom, that's the best strategy.

Also, the classes that I'm registered to take in the fall have, obviously, no grades with them. Do I leave those off the coursework section, or put them down just with no grades?

I sent my transcripts like two weeks ago, and AMCAS only today received one of them. What the heck? Does it always take that long?

You mark them as Current/Future with the tick marks on the bottom.

Two weeks doesn't sound unreasonable. There's postal lag plus AMCAS lag.

Ari

Where did you see the "post-high school" wording? I just looked over the help section for Work/Activities but can't find it. im a reapplicant - last time i applied, i put in some relevant job experiences from junior and senior year of high school. i feel like it cant hurt, esp. if i have the extra slots. any opinions?

I don't remember where I read it, but it's all over SDN as well. As always, call AMCAS if you're unsure.

Ari

According to my school's application manual and general SDN wisdom, that's the best strategy.

You mark them as Current/Future with the tick marks on the bottom.

Two weeks doesn't sound unreasonable. There's postal lag plus AMCAS lag.

Ari

Thanks...

So, it's the norm for it take a little while for transcripts to get there. I was just worried something happened...

I feel better now...

Hey all,

I dropped a class and I'm not sure how to enter the credit hours and grade...for now it is blank but I'm getting a warning that not omitting information may hold up my application. Anyone know how to enter dropped classes?

If you dropped a class before your school's deadline and it doesn't show up on your transcript then don't worry about it. If you dropped the class and got a W, then I'm not sure.

its not listed or stated anywhere that highschool activities cannot be listed. I'm putting a few of my highschool things on. But you have only 15 slots, so use them wisely and dedicate the majority of those slots to recent or significant events. The banal things like "voted most likely to succeed" or "honor role in junior year" are insignificant and take up valuable space. Highschool things should generally be added to show continuation of work or activities, or if it was truly significant.

For independent biological research done for credit, i.e. Bio 398/399 at my institution, do you mark it as lecture only, lab only, or lecture and lab both?

What about for social research?

Hey all,

I dropped a class and I'm not sure how to enter the credit hours and grade...for now it is blank but I'm getting a warning that not omitting information may hold up my application. Anyone know how to enter dropped classes?

I found these using the search function ;)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=198736&highlight=enter+dropped+class

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=403730&highlight=dropped+class+AMCAS

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=281675&highlight=dropped+class+AMCAS