*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was accepted into a very competitive BS/MD program out of high school several years ago. I was supposed to enter medical school via the BS/MD program this fall. However, last fall I decided (for multiple somewhat complex reasons) to withdraw from the program and instead apply to other schools this upcoming round as a regular applicant.

Unfortunately I made that decision just a few weeks AFTER I had submitted last year's AMCAS (as a formality) and been verified. So now I am labeled as a re-applicant this round. Despite withdrawing from the program, I would like to include it as one of my awards/recognitions in the AMCAS work/activities section.

My question to y'all is this: Is it appropriate to provide a brief explanation in this section as to why I am considered a re-applicant? If not, where should I provide the explanation? If it is appropriate, are adcoms even going to care? I won't have space to delve into all the reasons I dropped out even if I use this as one of my three most important activities (I'm not anyway). I also don't necessarily want to discuss it on my PS cause (1) it's a bit of a lengthy explanation taking up valuable PS space and (2) I don't think it's really appropriate for the PS.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be laughed out of an admissions office for this.

Currently I write for BleacherReport, the 4th largest sports website in the US. I'm a "Featured Columnist" which means I'm required to put out weekly articles on select topics. I don't receive paid compensation except for perks (tickets to games, press passes, etc) occasionally. How do I make this look good on my application as I've sank a lot of time into it over the past 10 months or so.
You're a published writer. Writing is an Artistic Endeavor or a Hobby/Avocation. List it as such, perhaps with a link to an issue. I'm not laughing, but you'll have to figure out on your own how to "make it look good." Be sure to include why it's important to you and how you have the required expertise. If you have other writing credentials that led to this gig, they could be mentioned in the same space to show a progression of recognition of your writing talent.

I was accepted into a very competitive BS/MD program out of high school several years ago. I was supposed to enter medical school via the BS/MD program this fall. However, last fall I decided (for multiple somewhat complex reasons) to withdraw from the program and instead apply to other schools this upcoming round as a regular applicant.

Unfortunately I made that decision just a few weeks AFTER I had submitted last year's AMCAS (as a formality) and been verified. So now I am labeled as a re-applicant this round. Despite withdrawing from the program, I would like to include it as one of my awards/recognitions in the AMCAS work/activities section.

My question to y'all is this: Is it appropriate to provide a brief explanation in this section as to why I am considered a re-applicant? If not, where should I provide the explanation? If it is appropriate, are adcoms even going to care? I won't have space to delve into all the reasons I dropped out even if I use this as one of my three most important activities (I'm not anyway). I also don't necessarily want to discuss it on my PS cause (1) it's a bit of a lengthy explanation taking up valuable PS space and (2) I don't think it's really appropriate for the PS.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)
It isn't a sure thing that adcomms will view dropping out of a guaranteed med school spot to reapply as a positive that enhances your current application. I'd suggest you not mention it. It happens that applicants drop out of an application cycle after a Primary is verified, but before ever submitting a Secondary due to an unexpectedly low MCAT score, family issues, belated discovery that they are missing a major EC component or required committee LOR, etc. Consider not mentioning it at all. Rather, address it with your lengthy explanation if it comes up at an interview. Just my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
It isn't a sure thing that adcomms will view dropping out of a guaranteed med school spot to reapply as a positive that enhances your current application. I'd suggest you not mention it. It happens that applicants drop out of an application cycle after a Primary is verified, but before ever submitting a Secondary due to an unexpectedly low MCAT score, family issues, belated discovery that they are missing a major EC component or required committee LOR, etc. Consider not mentioning it at all. Rather, address it with your lengthy explanation if it comes up at an interview. Just my opinion.
Thanks Catalystik. I will consider not mentioning it. I originally thought to include it as a recognition largely because it is one of the most competitive BS/MD programs out there, but if you think the negatives would outweigh the positives then maybe I should just not mention it.

As a follow-up question, how then do I address my re-applicant status in my application? Or should I just ignore it and leave the explanation until interviews, like you suggested?

Thanks Catalystik. I will consider not mentioning it. I originally thought to include it as a recognition largely because it is one of the most competitive BS/MD programs out there, but if you think the negatives would outweigh the positives then maybe I should just not mention it.

As a follow-up question, how then do I address my re-applicant status in my application? Or should I just ignore it and leave the explanation until interviews, like you suggested?
I suggest you ignore it, but see what your premed advisor thinks, too. I am just n=1.

You're a published writer. Writing is an Artistic Endeavor or a Hobby/Avocation. List it as such, perhaps with a link to an issue. I'm not laughing, but you'll have to figure out on your own how to "make it look good." Be sure to include why it's important to you and how you have the required expertise. If you have other writing credentials that led to this gig, they could be mentioned in the same space to show a progression of recognition of your writing talent.

Haha I guess I'll just hope that some medical schools like off the wall things in addition to some research and clinical experience. I really enjoy it and it makes me a bit more diverse I feel. The "making it look good" comment was because I do it for free and BleacherReport is not ESPN.com.

Haha I guess I'll just hope that some medical schools like off the wall things in addition to some research and clinical experience. I really enjoy it and it makes me a bit more diverse I feel. The "making it look good" comment was because I do it for free and BleacherReport is not ESPN.com.
I wouldn not list it under "Community Service - Volunteer" regardless. :)

It's my understanding that schools will only consider you a re-applicant if you've applied specifically to their programs in previous applications. If it's your first time submitting a primary application to a school, they will not view you as a re-applicant. I'd call AMCAS to verify that (I asked them this last year and that's the answer I got).

Besides that I don't think it's a significant issue. It came up in my interviews that I had applied the previous year, but for you that's not the case. You will not have any previous applications to which schools can refer.

Hope this helps.

Question about grouping activities. Would it be inappropriate to lump volunteer activities or non-clinical employment together if they are generally unrelated (i.e. tutoring and coaching)? I'm trying to be economical, but I don't want to go too far.

Would recreational fishing be appropriate to list? Non-competition. I fish around 8 hours per week.

I'd call it "employment, non-military" or "other". I'd' list just the 2nd summer and list the other summer & the winter in the text to avoid filling in the top section to look like you were working 40 hours wk from June '09-August '10. (Some readers just skim the headings and end up feeling that the applicant could not have worked f/t duirng the academic year and therefore that the information is exaggerated.) The alternative is to take the f/t work for 2 summers (800 hours plus Winter 120 hours) and call it 920 hours /62 weeks = 15 hrs/wk from June 2009-August 2010 and then in the text describe it as f/t during those 2 summers plus one winter. A third option would be to give it 3 slots for each time frame.

I worked 30 hours a week during my undergrad. Granted i would drop to 15 hrs before finals but during holiday break I would be back up to 30 hrs a week throughout my undergrad because of financial reasons. I took most of my classes at night and use to skip lectures. ie if i had lectures 3 times a week I would miss 1 lecture a week. I never skipped Labs because they were too important and were once a week. I had to work because of financial reasons at home. I brought in income to help provide for the family.

How do I enter this info without coming off as exaggerating my situation. I have lots of other ECs as well.

Also on a side note question: What is considered a "late" application. I am currently schedule to take MCAT on June 24. However i might push it to Mid July. Thus my app would probably be complete by August 1 (guesstimate?). Is this late and would it hurt my chances?

Question about grouping activities. Would it be inappropriate to lump volunteer activities or non-clinical employment together if they are generally unrelated (i.e. tutoring and coaching)? I'm trying to be economical, but I don't want to go too far.
That's fine, but choose a title that encompasses all of them, like "Short-Term Volunteering," or "Summer Employment." For the required contact info, choose the most recent, the most impressive, or the one for which you have reliable contact info. The same info should go in the narrative about the others, where possible, along with hours per week or total hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked 30 hours a week during my undergrad. Granted i would drop to 15 hrs before finals but during holiday break I would be back up to 30 hrs a week throughout my undergrad because of financial reasons. I took most of my classes at night and use to skip lectures. ie if i had lectures 3 times a week I would miss 1 lecture a week. I never skipped Labs because they were too important and were once a week. I had to work because of financial reasons at home. I brought in income to help provide for the family.

How do I enter this info without coming off as exaggerating my situation. I have lots of other ECs as well.

Also on a side note question: What is considered a "late" application. I am currently schedule to take MCAT on June 24. However i might push it to Mid July. Thus my app would probably be complete by August 1 (guesstimate?). Is this late and would it hurt my chances?

Call it 28 or 29 hours/wk.

Being complete Aug 1 is not great but it's not bad as long as you are very quick at turning around secondary applications.

Call it 28 or 29 hours/wk.

Being complete Aug 1 is not great but it's not bad as long as you are very quick at turning around secondary applications.

Not sure if you are being serious about putting down 28 or 29 hrs. Is it so i fall under being considered full time?

And how much does august app hurt? i mean is it going to significantly hurt my chances or its not such a big deal as long as i do well. cause i have the exam scheduled for late June and considering to push it back

Last edited by a moderator:
Do schools ever see a wide variety of activities and think an applicant is lying? Is there any merit to not talking about stuff you did well in the past but is no longer a significant activity, though it might otherwise set you apart? Specifically, were I applying in 2005 when I graduated college I would talk about having a pilot's license, done an internship at NASA, and being an RA.

Do schools ever see a wide variety of activities and think an applicant is lying? Is there any merit to not talking about stuff you did well in the past but is no longer a significant activity, though it might otherwise set you apart? Specifically, were I applying in 2005 when I graduated college I would talk about having a pilot's license, done an internship at NASA, and being an RA.
Appearing too amazing or leaving no hours left for sleep is a good way to increase the odds that some listed contacts will receive an inquery.

If you have the space, you might group some long ago interesting factoids together via bullets under Other, or grouped with Hobbies. You never know what will trigger a connection with an adcomm. I attended two NASA spacecamps and would immediately zero in on seeing that. Ah, the memories of habitat living . . .

Two questions. Both are related to the same activity

1) I started a competitive dance crew at my school and have been a co-captain on it from the start. Would I put this under artistic endeavors or should I list it under leadership?

2) Our team recently won a number of prizes and was recognized as the most outstanding organization on campus. This was a huge achievement for us, but I'm not sure if this would go under my individual recognition/awards since it was a team activity.
There isn't one right way to list this, so you have choices to make.

1) You may choose either, depending on which would balance your application more. if you have no other leadership, choose that designation. If you do, you might pick Artistic Endeavor but put as your title, "Co-Captain of Competitive Dance Crew" to be sure that the leadership component isn't missed.

2) You might group this with other Awards/Honors/Recognitions, or on their own, but I think it would have more punch if you included them in the same space as the associated activity, at the end of the narrative (to demonstrate the momentyum of your leadership). If there are so many they won't fit, either give them their own space, or pick the "Most Meaningful" designation to get more characters.

Not sure if you are being serious about putting down 28 or 29 hrs. Is it so i fall under being considered full time?

And how much does august app hurt? i mean is it going to significantly hurt my chances or its not such a big deal as long as i do well. cause i have the exam scheduled for late June and considering to push it back

I just came up with 28-29 because you usually worked 30 but worked just 15 some weeks so if you looked at your average hours per week it is < 30 but likely not that much less. Ballpark figure: 28 or 29. If you want to drag out all your pay stubs and add up the number of weeks and divide by the number of hours, be obscessive about it but I think that 28 is a reasonable estimate.

As has been pointed out, being complete in August and going from there with secondaries means that you are competing for N - x interview slots where x is the number of interview invitations already issued. Ideally you'd like to be in the running for all of the available interview slots. But, if your application is (significantly) above average, or you catch someone's eye, you will get an interview invite even if you are complete with secondary in September. What can you do? It doesn't seem reasonable to take a gap year, does it?

I just came up with 28-29 because you usually worked 30 but worked just 15 some weeks so if you looked at your average hours per week it is < 30 but likely not that much less. Ballpark figure: 28 or 29. If you want to drag out all your pay stubs and add up the number of weeks and divide by the number of hours, be obscessive about it but I think that 28 is a reasonable estimate.

As has been pointed out, being complete in August and going from there with secondaries means that you are competing for N - x interview slots where x is the number of interview invitations already issued. Ideally you'd like to be in the running for all of the available interview slots. But, if your application is (significantly) above average, or you catch someone's eye, you will get an interview invite even if you are complete with secondary in September. What can you do? It doesn't seem reasonable to take a gap year, does it?

Oh yeah ok thx.

Yeah my average would be slightly less than 30 hrs a week over the last four years.

And no i would rather not take a gap year, i kinda already took one.

For the activities/work which ones are most significant to continue after you had apply and are waiting for interviews/acceptances/rejections.

I have a choice to start working full-time (non-medical job) or continue research+part time job after summer.

I am torn between working full time and saving up money or continue researching and get 1-2 publications and send in update letters. I currently have no publications just a poster as a second author.

And also things on the side should we be continue to volunteer while waiting on responses?

Oh yeah ok thx.

Yeah my average would be slightly less than 30 hrs a week over the last four years.

And no i would rather not take a gap year, i kinda already took one.

For the activities/work which ones are most significant to continue after you had apply and are waiting for interviews/acceptances/rejections.

I have a choice to start working full-time (non-medical job) or continue research+part time job after summer.

I am torn between working full time and saving up money or continue researching and get 1-2 publications and send in update letters. I currently have no publications just a poster as a second author.

And also things on the side should we be continue to volunteer while waiting on responses?

Sometimes I think up-dates are over0rated. Ideally, you get some autumn interviews and an offer before Christmas. Then you can do what you want. If you are optimistic about your chances, do what you want. If you are unsure, stick with stuff you can brag about to the adcom with endless updates.

Sometimes I think up-dates are over0rated. Ideally, you get some autumn interviews and an offer before Christmas. Then you can do what you want. If you are optimistic about your chances, do what you want. If you are unsure, stick with stuff you can brag about to the adcom with endless updates.

I am gonna have to go with the endless updates. At any point do they become annoyed with them ....

So, I've been wondering about how to list my clinical hours for AMCAS. I have had a pretty constant stream of weekly 4 hour shifts for the last couple months with a few missed days. Do I really need to account for these or can I just say [X month] - [Y month] for 4 hours/week? It seems a little disorganized and cumbersome to account for it. I guess it's technically lying because it implies that I went to the shifts that I missed but will this really be a problem? It's just two missed shifts.

Another bigger problem is that I have had 6 months of just sporadic volunteering that amounted to roughly 50 hours. I don't want to report it over the entire six months and say that it was less than 1hr/week because that would look a bit dumb. There were 2 months where I was the most active so can I just condense these 50 hours into those 2 months just to make things more organized? I want my EC list to look neater but I don't want to guilty of lying either.

Thank you in advance. :)

So, I've been wondering about how to list my clinical hours for AMCAS. I have had a pretty constant stream of weekly 4 hour shifts for the last couple months with a few missed days. Do I really need to account for these or can I just say [X month] - [Y month] for 4 hours/week? It seems a little disorganized and cumbersome to account for it. I guess it's technically lying because it implies that I went to the shifts that I missed but will this really be a problem? It's just two missed shifts.

It's really not a big deal to be honest here, just subtract 8 from your total calculation. Also, what if your letter writer puts down a different amount of hours for you (assuming you get a letter from them)?

Another bigger problem is that I have had 6 months of just sporadic volunteering that amounted to roughly 50 hours. I don't want to report it over the entire six months and say that it was less than 1hr/week because that would look a bit dumb. There were 2 months where I was the most active so can I just condense these 50 hours into those 2 months just to make things more organized? I want my EC list to look neater but I don't want to guilty of lying either.

Don't lie over such trivial little things. Just be honest and things should work out better for you in the long run. Adcoms aren't going to automatically think 1hr/week - they are just going to see what you did there, what you got from it, and overall how much time was spent (caring less about how it was allocated).

I agree with NeuralNetwork. If you missed a fair amount of shifts, maybe change the average to 3.5 hours per week instead of 4 to account for it. Not a big deal. And I would just go ahead and put 1 hour a week, and explain in the description that some months you were very active, others not so much.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not trying to be unethical, I was just wondering. Should I specify the total amount of hours in the description then?

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not trying to be unethical, I was just wondering. Should I specify the total amount of hours in the description then?

Depends on the activity - For things like research, or involvement with a club, I didn't list the hours because either it was too many or it wasn't significant to the activity. For shadowing and volunteer work in a medical setting, I felt listing how many hours was applicable to show concrete hours of exposure in a clinical setting.

Merging with the work/activities thread.

It's really not a big deal to be honest here, just subtract 8 from your total calculation. Also, what if your letter writer puts down a different amount of hours for you (assuming you get a letter from them)?

Don't lie over such trivial little things. Just be honest and things should work out better for you in the long run. Adcoms aren't going to automatically think 1hr/week - they are just going to see what you did there, what you got from it, and overall how much time was spent (caring less about how it was allocated).

I agree with NeuralNetwork. If you missed a fair amount of shifts, maybe change the average to 3.5 hours per week instead of 4 to account for it. Not a big deal. And I would just go ahead and put 1 hour a week, and explain in the description that some months you were very active, others not so much.

Depends on the activity - For things like research, or involvement with a club, I didn't list the hours because either it was too many or it wasn't significant to the activity. For shadowing and volunteer work in a medical setting, I felt listing how many hours was applicable to show concrete hours of exposure in a clinical setting.

Hello,

I have two questions I hope I could get some help with:

1) In my PS I thoroughly discuss an EC (student-run clinic) that significantly affected my decision to go into medicine. However, I was a volunteer in the clinic for 3 years and thus had several different roles/positions. Although in my PS I touch on several of these aspects, I do not discuss two leadership positions (one was paid) that were each for a year-long term. As such, would it be appropriate to list these two in the "Most Significant" category? I am struggling with what to allocate in that section because the clinic was the most important experience that drove me toward medicine, and it feels like many of my other ECs pale in comparison.

2) How would I list an acknowledgment in a published paper for one of my research experiences? Is it sufficient to have it in the description, or should I try to highlight it in some way (not sure if it merits it)?

Thank you!

Can someone clarify for me the reason of stressing over putting down the right amount of hours for each activity? I understand not fudging your numbers because that's simply unethical-- but why isn't a ball park number good enough? I'm seeing people worrying about missing one day of work here or there and not sure how to reduce their hours, but honestly what is the problem with being off on your exact number +/- 10? Just seems like a trivial concern!

I have two questions I hope I could get some help with:

1) In my PS I thoroughly discuss an EC (student-run clinic) that significantly affected my decision to go into medicine. However, I was a volunteer in the clinic for 3 years and thus had several different roles/positions. Although in my PS I touch on several of these aspects, I do not discuss two leadership positions (one was paid) that were each for a year-long term. As such, would it be appropriate to list these two in the "Most Significant" category? I am struggling with what to allocate in that section because the clinic was the most important experience that drove me toward medicine, and it feels like many of my other ECs pale in comparison.

2) How would I list an acknowledgment in a published paper for one of my research experiences? Is it sufficient to have it in the description, or should I try to highlight it in some way (not sure if it merits it)?
1) If you want to list the Leadership positions separately under Leadership or Employment and make them a "Most Meaningful" activity, that would be fine. But it sounds like the clinic experience itself qualifies better for that designation.

Alternatively, you could make the entire clinic experience "most meaningful" and then discuss the paid leadership roles you took on within the context of a single Community Service listing.

Or you could list one Leadership role by itself and keep the other with the original clinic activity.

2) Keeping in mind that even the typist gets an acknowledgement sometimes, I would just mention it at the end of the Research description where you describe your contributions to that project.

Can someone clarify for me the reason of stressing over putting down the right amount of hours for each activity? I understand not fudging your numbers because that's simply unethical-- but why isn't a ball park number good enough? I'm seeing people worrying about missing one day of work here or there and not sure how to reduce their hours, but honestly what is the problem with being off on your exact number +/- 10? Just seems like a trivial concern!
I agree. Ballpark figures given in good faith are sufficient.

A few questions:

1. I am involved in a volunteer club through which i have done a lot of different small volunteering activities. I also hold a position as a blood drive coordinator through the club. However I coordinate drives with the help of an off campus organization. I have also volunteered at a few events for said organization. How do I organize this? I want the coordinator position to be a leadership position but I also want to talk about the other volunteer activites. But if I list it all under the club I feel like I will lose out on the part about volunteering for the organization.

2. I am a pharmacy student and have held two hospital jobs and one retail job through school. All of the jobs involve different activities but there is a decent amount of overlap. I also conducted clinical research at one of the jobs. Should I lump all the jobs together and do clinical research separate? I want to split them but I dont want too much pharmacy focus since I am applying to med school. Or is that not something to worry about since they are legitimately different jobs and splitting them up will make it more impressive?

3. How do I handle hours for these jobs? I work 8 hrs/week at the two hospital jobs during school, 20-40 during breaks, used to do 12/week during high school. Whats the best way to approach this? Estimate hours per week and then just list totals in description?

4. Can i lump clinical hospital volunteering with other things? I have a measley 30 hours at a nearby hospital so I was thinking about grouping it with other things so that I dont devote a whole section to such a small activity. Also is high school volunteering generally not advised? I mention it in my PS so i figured it might be appropriate.

5. My last year of pharmacy school (my application year) is devoted to different rotations, such as critical care, emergency medicine, ambulatory care...ect. Can i devote a section to a short description of my schedule for next year? I know I will list my planned courses in the application but my planned courses are Advanced Practice I,II,III...ect. So there isnt any sort of indication of what they really imply.

Well AMCAS only asks you for the number of hours per week, so +/- 10 would make a pretty big deal per week. Of course, I'm assuming you mean +/- 10 on total hours (which is a good idea to include in your description) which is a perfectly acceptable margin of error IMO

1. I am involved in a volunteer club through which i have done a lot of different small volunteering activities. I also hold a position as a blood drive coordinator through the club. However I coordinate drives with the help of an off campus organization. I have also volunteered at a few events for said organization. How do I organize this? I want the coordinator position to be a leadership position but I also want to talk about the other volunteer activites. But if I list it all under the club I feel like I will lose out on the part about volunteering for the organization.

2. I am a pharmacy student and have held two hospital jobs and one retail job through school. All of the jobs involve different activities but there is a decent amount of overlap. I also conducted clinical research at one of the jobs. Should I lump all the jobs together and do clinical research separate? I want to split them but I dont want too much pharmacy focus since I am applying to med school. Or is that not something to worry about since they are legitimately different jobs and splitting them up will make it more impressive?

3. How do I handle hours for these jobs? I work 8 hrs/week at the two hospital jobs during school, 20-40 during breaks, used to do 12/week during high school. Whats the best way to approach this? Estimate hours per week and then just list totals in description?

4. Can i lump clinical hospital volunteering with other things? I have a measley 30 hours at a nearby hospital so I was thinking about grouping it with other things so that I dont devote a whole section to such a small activity. Also is high school volunteering generally not advised? I mention it in my PS so i figured it might be appropriate.

5. My last year of pharmacy school (my application year) is devoted to different rotations, such as critical care, emergency medicine, ambulatory care...ect. Can i devote a section to a short description of my schedule for next year? I know I will list my planned courses in the application but my planned courses are Advanced Practice I,II,III...ect. So there isnt any sort of indication of what they really imply.
1) Separate out all the activities related to the blood drive, listing them on their own with their own category, and subtract those hours from what you do with the volunteer club.

2) List the Research on its own under Research, and mention that it was paid. The other components can be lumped or split as you wish or as you have room for. If the jobs are very different for the most part, it makes more sense to split them. Group if you are short on space.

3) Add up the total hours over the the year or over the time span of involvement, divide by the number of weeks, and give the average. In the narrative explain that how it really works.

4) Mentioning the 30 hours of clinical volunteering at the end of the main clinical volunteering narrative with total hours is fine. Maybe give a grand total of both together after that. Unless the HS volunteering was at the same location as something done in the college years (starting with the summer after HS graduation), just mention it in the PS.

5) Listing a future activity isn't done, as the dates can't be entered. Let it stand that it's mentioned in the transcript area and perhaps briefly mention in the PS that you look forard to final year curricular elements that will allow for rotations through . . . . . (and do it in one sentence). After module completion, more detailed info could be included in update letters.

4) Mentioning the 30 hours of clinical volunteering at the end of the main clinical volunteering narrative with total hours is fine. Maybe give a grand total of both together after that. Unless the HS volunteering was at the same location as something done in the college years (starting with the summer after HS graduation), just mention it in the PS.
The high school volunteering was done at the same place where I later obtained a job in the pharmacy dept. Have been working that job for about 7 years. Does that change if I should add it to the app?

5) Listing a future activity isn't done, as the dates can't be entered. Let it stand that it's mentioned in the transcript area and perhaps briefly mention in the PS that you look forard to final year curricular elements that will allow for rotations through . . . . . (and do it in one sentence). After module completion, more detailed info could be included in update letters.
My rotations are starting May 21st, so before I will submit AMCAS. Does that change anything? Should I list the first rotation as an activity or just avoid it all together?

Also I thought of some more, sorry haha.

1. What exactly is considered clinical volunteering? I know LizzyM's thing about smelling pts, but what about something like a soup kitchen? Or a health fair? Making cards for sick children in the hospital? Im going to assume these are all non-clinical volunteering.

2. What about a rotation that I have already completed? Did four weeks at a university hospital last summer. Pretty cool clinical experiences. List as other?

The high school volunteering was done at the same place where I later obtained a job in the pharmacy dept. Have been working that job for about 7 years. Does that change if I should add it to the app?

My rotations are starting May 21st, so before I will submit AMCAS. Does that change anything? Should I list the first rotation as an activity or just avoid it all together?

1. What exactly is considered clinical volunteering? I know LizzyM's thing about smelling pts, but what about something like a soup kitchen? Or a health fair? Making cards for sick children in the hospital? Im going to assume these are all non-clinical volunteering.

2. What about a rotation that I have already completed? Did four weeks at a university hospital last summer. Pretty cool clinical experiences. List as other?

You are right - none of those are "medical/clinical volunteering", but rather non-clinical and/or other.

1) The high school volunteering was done at the same place where I later obtained a job in the pharmacy dept. Have been working that job for about 7 years. Does that change if I should add it to the app?

2) My rotations are starting May 21st, so before I will submit AMCAS. Does that change anything? Should I list the first rotation as an activity or just avoid it all together?

3. What exactly is considered clinical volunteering? I know LizzyM's thing about smelling pts, but what about something like a soup kitchen? Or a health fair? Making cards for sick children in the hospital? Im going to assume these are all non-clinical volunteering.

4 What about a rotation that I have already completed? Did four weeks at a university hospital last summer. Pretty cool clinical experiences. List as other?
1) If you were in the same department, then include it as an addendum to the description of the more current activity.

2) You could (under Other). Or it could be incorporated into the PS.

3) I agree with Blais, unless you made cards with sick children in the hospital, then it's clinical. Otherwise, they sound like Volunteer/Community Service-not Medical/Clinical

4) Same answer as #2. If you opt to list them, maybe group them.

1. I understand there is no clear consensus on this, but is there any evidence for writing in bullet form vs paragraph form or vice versa? It seems like it would be a lot easier to convey information with bullet points. Easy for adcom = happier adcom?

2. Also this might not have a clear answer either but is there consensus on whether to discuss what was learned from the activity/how one matured? Or should ECs be purely factual?

1. I understand there is no clear consensus on this, but is there any evidence for writing in bullet form vs paragraph form or vice versa? It seems like it would be a lot easier to convey information with bullet points. Easy for adcom = happier adcom?

2. Also this might not have a clear answer either but is there consensus on whether to discuss what was learned from the activity/how one matured? Or should ECs be purely factual?
1) You can mix or match the format you use so that the flow of information seems comfortable.

2) If an activity gave you important insights, then share them if it feels natural. Some adcomms like a lot of introspection and some are bored by it. Other activites are more given to just stating the facts.

I have a question or two! Three, I guess..

First -- I work doing non-clinical volunteering as a swim lesson aide. A semester into this experience, the aquatic director approached me and said that they wanted me to get my lifeguarding certification so that they could hire me to teach lessons myself. So this transitioned from non-clinical volunteering to employment. Should I list it all as employment and include my hours from the volunteer experience? Should I explain what happened in the activity description and how it originally started as volunteering? I'm worried that, since this reduces the amount of activities that I am listing as "volunteer", I won't look altruistic. Is this a silly thing to worry about since employment > volunteering?

Second -- I have a lot of creative writing extracurriculars, including publications in national magazines, short films being made to the text of my poetry, etc. Should this all go under one heading? And would that be Artistic Endeavours or Hobbies? I also do graphic design, photography, and painting -- would that be a separate listing, even though it's similarly artistic? I don't want to clog up one description with a bunch of different activities and distinctions. I asked a similar variant of this question earlier, but I didn't ask if they should be in the same category or in separate ones.

Third -- I will be doing two separate neuroscience research projects throughout my undergrad. Should these be separated? They are in separate labs in separate locations with separate projects; they both just fall into the same field of neuroscience.

Thank you so much!!

I've been working for the family business since 7th grade, and I've been a manager for a few years now. Is it okay to list my dad as the primary contact? Other than those two I don't have a supervisor.

1) First -- I work doing non-clinical volunteering as a swim lesson aide. A semester into this experience, the aquatic director approached me and said that they wanted me to get my lifeguarding certification so that they could hire me to teach lessons myself. So this transitioned from non-clinical volunteering to employment. Should I list it all as employment and include my hours from the volunteer experience? Should I explain what happened in the activity description and how it originally started as volunteering? I'm worried that, since this reduces the amount of activities that I am listing as "volunteer", I won't look altruistic. Is this a silly thing to worry about since employment > volunteering?

2) Second -- I have a lot of creative writing extracurriculars, including publications in national magazines, short films being made to the text of my poetry, etc. Should this all go under one heading? And would that be Artistic Endeavours or Hobbies? I also do graphic design, photography, and painting -- would that be a separate listing, even though it's similarly artistic? I don't want to clog up one description with a bunch of different activities and distinctions. I asked a similar variant of this question earlier, but I didn't ask if they should be in the same category or in separate ones.

3) Third -- I will be doing two separate neuroscience research projects throughout my undergrad. Should these be separated? They are in separate labs in separate locations with separate projects; they both just fall into the same field of neuroscience.
1) Why not list the volunteer portion of the Experience under Volunteer/Community Service, then in the narrative say after xx/xx/xxxx I transitioned into being an employee, after taking a life saving course, with the responsibities of ... which I've continued to engage in for xx hours per week until xx/xx/xxxx.

Alternatively, you could list the whole thing under Teaching, giving it a title like, "Swim Instructor through Volunteering and Employment."

2) They become Artistic Endeavors when you share your Art publically through publication, performance, competition, selling your work, etc. You can lump or split them out depending on what seems to fit together, how much space you need, and how important they are to demonstrating the Whole You. It sounds to me like each could easily take up a space on its own. You'll have to decide on your priorities given the issues I've mentioned.

3) Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.