*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2013-2014*~*~*~*

Started by sector9
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In the description, is it important to mention that a particular activity is ongoing and when you plan to stop?
 
If we engaged in multiple different community service projects but did not necessarily devote a substantial amount of time in each of them individually, is it ok to put them under a single entry termed '' Community Service Experience'' ?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If we engaged in multiple different community service projects but did not necessarily devote a substantial amount of time in each of them individually, is it ok to put them under a single entry termed '' Community Service Experience'' ?

I did the same thing because they say you should list related experiences together, but I'm confused how we put contact info for an experience if it consists of a list of several different programs or associations, such as when you are listing volunteering or awards. Anyone know how we are supposed to do this?
 
Question: I've seen a lot of tips mention "hours/week" but AMCAS only has "total hours listed". I'm a non-trad so my previous full-time jobs have way over 999 hours (which is the limit for total hours).

Thoughts?

edit: just saw above. Pretty annoying but whatever.

Also, if I moved from a volunteer position to a paid position in the same lab (presumably since my PI wants to keep me around during my application year) should I enter these separately or together?
 
Last edited:
I have a question about presentations/posters: If I'll be presenting at a national conference in September, can I put that in, even though it hasn't happened yet?

And also, for presentations, how many hours are you supposed to put?
 
Determining the classification of a few things:

Volunteering at the Ronald McDonald House? - I originally thought it would be non medical but have seen others who would make an argument for it being clinical.

Fraternity (Phi Delta Epsilon)?

Pharmacy Technician at Walgreens?

Thanks for the help gents.
 
I have a question about presentations/posters: If I'll be presenting at a national conference in September, can I put that in, even though it hasn't happened yet?

And also, for presentations, how many hours are you supposed to put?

Hey for presentations I just put the number of hours I was presenting for. As for the poster, I don't think AMCAS will allow you to insert future dates but this could be a thing that you could update schools with during interviews.
 
And they replied: "In order to get around this issue use the “Repeated” option that is available in the application. Once you select this option you can now enter this activity as a repeat up to four times. Indicate the start date with the very first time you began this work/activity (both month and year) and then divide your work hours evenly between the repeated entries. For example if I worked more than 2500 total hours during the course of one year than I would list my work/activity select the “Repeated” and then I would indicate each time listed with 625 total hours. Even though you have the option to enter REPEATED activities up to four (4) times in this section it will count as only one (1) activity."

I've tried this and come up with a few conflicts - First, those of us who have held down a full-time job for more than 2 years or participated in some other long-term activity may still have more than 3996 hours. My guess is that at that point, an adcom would pretty much understand. Maybe a few words about it in the description wouldn't hurt.

Another issue is that the guide instructs you to enter total hours you completed or expect to complete. If you're planning to work at a job through the next year, you likely won't be able to split up those dates evenly four ways, since you can't enter any start dates later than today's date (assuming you've worked for less than 4 years).

I don't see how breaking up one activity into four repetitions would be any less frustrating than seeing a 999 and a very simple actual total or hours/week in the description. Seems like it would be more annoying to look at, frankly - someone looking at it would have to check each start and end date to see if they are actually congruous.
 
Smallblock, so you are saying just put 999, and then explain in the description that I have for example been doing research for a certain amount of years/approx hrs per week? If so, this sounds less complicated!
 
I haven't spoken with an AMCAS rep, so take what I say with a grain of salt. My thinking is just that adcom members are 1) intelligent human beings and 2) pressed for time. If you find yourself in a situation that doesn't fit any of the guidelines they given, you should do the best you can to get your information across simplistically and clearly. Those who read your activities list are probably not going to take the time to put 2 and 2 together; it should be spelled out for them so they don't have to guess. By the same token, if you put 999 for an activity, adcom members are probably smart enough to instantly realize that this was a very significant activity that probably extended further than 999. Anything beyond that number might be superfluous anyway. For the purposes of an adcom, 4000 hours in an activity and 1000 hours in activity both reflect dedication and significant time-commitment.

Again, this is all conjecture; I'll probably call AMCAS myself later this week to check it out.
 
Looks like AMCAS also had this to say on Facebook:

"if you worked at the same organization, doing the same job, for 25 hours a week for four years, list each year as a separate date range for the single entry, noting 999 hours for each repeated date range. In the description field, please explain in more detail the additional hours you completed."
 
Anyone on admissions have any input on including activities on AMCAS that I will be doing in about a month after I submit the application?

I have signed up for an activity that runs from July 1 - August 1. Unfortunately I can't include future activities on AMCAS (the earliest date I can select for an activity is May 2013).

My plan is to send a brief update letter while the activity is ongoing (around the middle of July), but I am concerned that maybe my application will be looked at already by some schools at that point, and my update will just be ignored when it arrives a few days/weeks later :scared:
 
Last edited:
What do people suggest doing for activities that they do during the school year (August-May) every year? For example research in the same lab, same tutoring organization, same clinic? Do you break it up into multiple start and stop dates?

If you go with the multiple start and stop dates then for the last one do you say the stop is present instead of saying May. I do not want it to look like I am stopping everything in May of my application year and not doing these activities again come August when I return to my school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2 questions:

1) I was on the student govt assembly this year, and I was elected Vice President of Student Govt for the upcoming school year (2013-2014) How can I list that? Is that one experience or two? Do I just write Vice President Elect, because just getting elected alone technically IS an experience, but that's not what I want them to focus on. Also is student govt "Leadership" or "Extra Curriculars"?

2) I did tons of free-lance tutoring over the past two years... is there any way I could list that? There really isn't any contact person...

Anyone? (Bump...)
 
Anyone on admissions have any input on including activities on AMCAS that I will be doing in about a month after I submit the application?

I have signed up for a summer tutoring thing that will include at least 70 hours of tutoring, but the program runs from July 1 - August 1. Unfortunately I can't include future activities on AMCAS (the earliest date I can select for an activity is May 2013).

My plan is to send a brief update letter while the activity is ongoing (around the middle of July), but I am concerned that maybe my application will be looked at already by some schools at that point, and my update will just be ignored when it arrives a few days/weeks later :scared:

See the FAQ. Future activities can't be included on AMCAS. Your only option is update letters.
 
2 questions:

1) I was on the student govt assembly this year, and I was elected Vice President of Student Govt for the upcoming school year (2013-2014) How can I list that? Is that one experience or two? Do I just write Vice President Elect, because just getting elected alone technically IS an experience, but that's not what I want them to focus on. Also is student govt "Leadership" or "Extra Curriculars"?

2) I did tons of free-lance tutoring over the past two years... is there any way I could list that? There really isn't any contact person...

1. You can include that you were elected but the actual VP position is a future activity so you're not really able to say much about it. I'd mention the election at the end of the entry on being a member of the assembly. It's leadership IMO

2. You can include it. Contact could be one of the students you tutored for a while.
 
What do people suggest doing for activities that they do during the school year (August-May) every year? For example research in the same lab, same tutoring organization, same clinic? Do you break it up into multiple start and stop dates?

If you go with the multiple start and stop dates then for the last one do you say the stop is present instead of saying May. I do not want it to look like I am stopping everything in May of my application year and not doing these activities again come August when I return to my school.

This is a new twist on the application so we haven't had to deal with questions like this before. I would say that if you feel the boxes aren't fully explaining your participation in the activity, then explain it in the description. I think most adcoms would assume you take summer breaks for school activities too
 
This is a new twist on the application so we haven't had to deal with questions like this before. I would say that if you feel the boxes aren't fully explaining your participation in the activity, then explain it in the description. I think most adcoms would assume you take summer breaks for school activities too

Yes it is very confusing! So do you think just having one start and stop date from the beginning to present with a a sentence stating that I do this during the school year would suffice? It will get fairly repetitive doing this for every activity. I think it is fairly obvious that I take summer breaks as well since I have activities during the summer only in an entirely different state from my school.
 
Last edited:
If anyone is willing to read Work/Activities descriptions PM me. I would greatly appreciate some feedback and proofreading.

Anyway we could possibly start a reply for people interested in doing something similar to Personal Statement reviewing?
 
Yes it is very confusing! So do you think just having one start and stop date from the beginning to present with a a sentence stating that I do this during the school year would suffice? It will get fairly repetitive doing this for every activity. I think it is fairly obvious that I take summer breaks as well since I have activities during the summer only in an entirely different state from my school.

I really don't know. I mean, it seems like the change was made so that applicants would input all of their breaks in an activity (up to 3 or 4 or whatever it is), so I guess I would recommend trying your best to use the application as intended. :shrug:
 
1. One of the activities I was going to list was receiving honors until a certain point in college. Does it make sense to write about that as if it were a most meaningful?

2. Better to split the abstract I coauthored from the work I did at the research lab where I did the research for the abstract?

3. In my PS, I talk about how one of the activities influenced me to pursue medicine. Would it work if I made this a most meaningful experience?

4. Is it better to write about clinical/volunteering activities as being most meaningful rather than other activities? There is a pretty interesting experience in one of my non-medical related activities that I wanted to talk about.
 
1. One of the activities I was going to list was receiving honors until a certain point in college. Does it make sense to write about that as if it were a most meaningful?

2. Better to split the abstract I coauthored from the work I did at the research lab where I did the research for the abstract?

3. In my PS, I talk about how one of the activities influenced me to pursue medicine. Would it work if I made this a most meaningful experience?

4. Is it better to write about clinical/volunteering activities as being most meaningful rather than other activities? There is a pretty interesting experience in one of my non-medical related activities that I wanted to talk about.

1. I don't think you want that as most meaningful as it is generally something viewed as filler, but if you have deep and genuine reasons for wanting to list it as such then go for it. You're just going to need a damn good explanation.

2. If you aren't filling out all the activities I would split it up if you can productively use the extra description space.

3. If you feel you can add more in the most meaningful description then yes. However try to not simply repeat what was in your personal statement. Go in more depth. If you can't then use something else as your most meaningful.

4.No, anything can be a most meaningful activity. Choose the ones that were actually most meaningful to you.
 
1. I don't think you want that as most meaningful as it is generally something viewed as filler, but if you have deep and genuine reasons for wanting to list it as such then go for it. You're just going to need a damn good explanation.

2. If you aren't filling out all the activities I would split it up if you can productively use the extra description space.

3. If you feel you can add more in the most meaningful description then yes. However try to not simply repeat what was in your personal statement. Go in more depth. If you can't then use something else as your most meaningful.

4.No, anything can be a most meaningful activity. Choose the ones that were actually most meaningful to you.

Thanks for the response.

Btw, whats your opinion on writing out numbers vs. simply using numbers in the PS/activities sections?
 
If anyone is willing to read Work/Activities descriptions PM me. I would greatly appreciate some feedback and proofreading.

Anyway we could possibly start a reply for people interested in doing something similar to Personal Statement reviewing?

I think that this is a great idea... I am not ready yet though

WOULD HEALTH OUTREACH and tutoring (which you were volunteering) count as tutoring/teaching or volunteer?

If you shadowed a lot of different physicians in a lot of different places how would I indicate that? Should I put this information in the text box?
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the response.

Btw, whats your opinion on writing out numbers vs. simply using numbers in the PS/activities sections?

In activity section, I usually use numbers instead of writing out so that I have more space to talk about other things. In PS, probably it depends on what numbers you are talking about..
 
Does anyone know what to do with the fact that we can go beyond the current date and go to August 2014. I have an activity that I'm continuing until next year, but I don't know whether I should add in hours that I'm going to be completing in the future also or whether I should just add hours up to what I've been doing up until today.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have TA'd sophomore and junior year, and will continue my senior year (this next year). I tried doing repeated dates, but it said the last repeated (3rd for me) section needs to have the end date no later then todays date. I tried setting it to May 2014 but I got an error. Any one know a way around this?


Would you put down volunteer hours that 3/4 of the hours were completed during your senior year but was continued into freshmen year of college? i have about 200 hours at a hospital which I did about 50 the summer after freshmen year, and was hoping to put that down, would you just mention the 50 hours?

Also, would playing guitar in a band that was locally successful be a hobby or artistic endeavor? We opened up for a semi-large artist and have played benefit concerts.
 
Any advice for total hours/ hours per week to list for a Resident Advisor position? I had meetings and organized activities and what not, but I was always really "on the job."
 
I have TA'd sophomore and junior year, and will continue my senior year (this next year). I tried doing repeated dates, but it said the last repeated (3rd for me) section needs to have the end date no later then todays date. I tried setting it to May 2014 but I got an error. Any one know a way around this?

Just put down today's date and in the first line of the EC say something like "TA for coursename or department for junior year and will continue next term thru my senior year"


Would you put down volunteer hours that 3/4 of the hours were completed during your senior year but was continued into freshmen year of college? i have about 200 hours at a hospital which I did about 50 the summer after freshmen year, and was hoping to put that down, would you just mention the 50 hours?

Mention it all as one. It shows commitment at young age and that equates with maturity (at least in an adcoms eyes). Something like "volunteer at such and such starting senior year in HS and continuing thru my freshman year at college"

Also, would playing guitar in a band that was locally successful be a hobby or artistic endeavor? We opened up for a semi-large artist and have played benefit concerts.

I would say artistic and if you did several benefits I would even consider EC.

EC should show commitment, motivation, and achievement. Doing charity work such as a benefit concert could be an EC if it was a continuous thing (multiple concerts over several years), large/well-know organization, or something to suggest (if true) that you were an initiator of such action (as opposed to be asked/requested). If these concerts or involvement weren't "outstanding, then stick with artistic or hobby (depends how you write it up)
 
I think that this is a great idea... I am not ready yet though

1. WOULD HEALTH OUTREACH and tutoring (which you were volunteering) count as tutoring/teaching or volunteer?

2. If you shadowed a lot of different physicians in a lot of different places how would I indicate that? Should I put this information in the text box?

1. This was all one activity? You were doing health outreach to the community and tutoring your peers in classes all as one activity? I'm confused.

2. See FAQ
 
Any advice for total hours/ hours per week to list for a Resident Advisor position? I had meetings and organized activities and what not, but I was always really "on the job."

Just as you write . Note the formal hours as they were, but in your first line put down something like resident assistance with formal hours of such and such and reality of being "on call" all the time for ...
 
Does anyone know what to do with the fact that we can go beyond the current date and go to August 2014. I have an activity that I'm continuing until next year, but I don't know whether I should add in hours that I'm going to be completing in the future also or whether I should just add hours up to what I've been doing up until today.

I would have the hours thru today and note in EC text continuing thru next august project overall total hours at XXX
 
1. This was all one activity? You were doing health outreach to the community and tutoring your peers in classes all as one activity? I'm confused.

2. See FAQ

No this is actually two different things. I am trying to figure out how to best group my activities. I currently provide health education as a volunteer to a women's shelter. In the past, I have worked with others to plan health education materials and activities for refugees and asylees.

I have also been a volunteer mentor/tutor for a family. I tutored the children in science, math, and any other homework. Mostly biology and chemistry though.

In the 750 characters are we bulletting stuff or writing paragraphs or talking about our experiences. Can I vary between them all or should I keep it consistent? Does AMCAS provide an example that we can see?

HOW DO I MARK HOURS FOR FULL-TIME AND PART-TIME JOBS? FULL-TIME IS 2080 per year.

Should we list scholarships that we received for college. I received them in 2003 but they were for college. I heard it was a rule not to mention anything from high school.

I think we should do a work/activities pre-read... if you want to I think you can post yours and we can edit or gain ideas for ours own. Would someone be willing to review mine?

Thank you for all your help.
 
Last edited:
1. No this is actually two different things. I am trying to figure out how to best group my activities. I currently provide health education as a volunteer to a women's shelter. In the past, I have worked with others to plan health education materials and activities for refugees and asylees.

I have also been a volunteer mentor/tutor for a family. I tutored the children in science, math, and any other homework. Mostly biology and chemistry though.

2. In the 750 characters are we bulletting stuff or writing paragraphs or talking about our experiences. Can I vary between them all or should I keep it consistent? Does AMCAS provide an example that we can see?

3. HOW DO I MARK HOURS FOR FULL-TIME AND PART-TIME JOBS? FULL-TIME IS 2080 per year.

4. Should we list scholarships that we received for college. I received them in 2003 but they were for college. I heard it was a rule not to mention anything from high school.

5. I think we should do a work/activities pre-read... if you want to I think you can post yours and we can edit or gain ideas for ours own. Would someone be willing to review mine?

Thank you for all your help.

1. They should be listed in two separate slots then, or if they were a long time ago (like if you're nontrad who still wants to list a few old college activities) then consider grouping them under the "Other" category

2. Best answer I can think of is in FAQ #4

3. See newly updated FAQ or message posted above with AMCAS recommendation

4. You can if you feel they add to your application. 10 years ago sounds like a bit of a stretch to me unless they were really impressive scholarships.

5. Feel free to exchange Work/Activities but please don't post the full contents here. We don't encourage people to post PS's or EC descriptions for fear of them getting stolen. Some users have included their whole application in their MDApps if you are desperate to read examples
 
So I'm trying to enter hours for an activity that I plan to continue until matriculation, and I'm getting the following error, "Your 3rd end date cannot be later than today's date." This hasn't happened for any other activity, and is slightly infuriating. Any idea why this might be popping up.
 
Hey all,
I'm trying to input an academic scholarship that's awarded by my state. Who should I put for contact? And how would I log hours?

Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't understand how everyone is combining their shadowing into 1 activity. Are you only putting the contact for one physician even if you shadowed multiple ones? Also, are you just mentioning the others in the description and not providing contact info for them at all?
 
So I'm trying to enter hours for an activity that I plan to continue until matriculation, and I'm getting the following error, "Your 3rd end date cannot be later than today's date." This hasn't happened for any other activity, and is slightly infuriating. Any idea why this might be popping up.

Sorry, haven't heard of this problem. I'd recommend calling AMCAS during their business hours
 
Hello All,

I was involved in a summer research internship and generated an abstract that was published in a journal. A few months later, I orally presented the abstract at a regional conference (The official journal's conference). A year later, the abstract was updated in a different journal.

How do I separate and classify all of these things? Research vs publication vs presentation

Thank you for the help!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.