*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2014-2015*~*~*~*

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this: when you hit "enter" to skip a line while typing into the Work / Activities description, it uses up 2 characters instead of one.
Try typing into the 700 character limit description section and you'll see hitting Enter adds on 2 characters to the character total.

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be this way, or if this is a mistake on the AMCAS application. After all, every character counts.
Some commented last year that they could only get in 685 characters. Maybe this represents AMCAS' effort to live up to the advertised character allowance.
 
Are there any categories it would be important to include? I have a lot of experience as someone who is 5 years out of college and I have filled up the 15 activities but did not have one for hobbies or extracurriculars. My main ones are research, presentations, clinical work and non-clinical volunteer. I can combine some of my clinical entries into one entry (although the work was a different hospital sites) if it is important to have breadth over depth. Any advice?
Keep things the way they are. There's definitely no obligation to include an activity for every single category.
I agree. However, listing leisuretime activities may give you an opportunity to show another side of yourself, to make your application a little different, to show you have ways to relieve stress, etc, that might make it worth making the extra room. You have to decide which adds more to your application.
 
1) I understand that future activities cannot be included. But I am listed as a 2nd author of a paper that was just submitted. My PI said that we will not find out if the paper was accepted or not until end of June, which is way after primary app submission. If it does get accepted, should I just send an update letter to the schools?

2) Also, I am planning to attend NIH postbac IRTA program for my gap year activity this July. Do I just say that I got accepted as part of honors/awards since I cannot include future activities?
1) Yes. Or if it works out, it might be included on some Secondaries.

2) That's a good solution. Or you could include it as part of the PS if it fits there gracefully.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I have a case where my volunteering is tracked by the volunteering dept in my hospital. Should I list my contact as a volunteer office admin that can verify my hours or one of the people I actually worked with in the position so that they may attest to the position's description?
The Volunteer Office is better. The hours and dates of involvement are all that need to be backed up.
 
Adding to the hobby questions, is it worth listing hobbies if you've never really done anything with them? For example, I love skiing and weightlifting, but I only do them for fun in my free time.
Yes. Knowing you ski would help me connect with you and might lead to a conversation of favorite runs. Another adcomm might want to discuss technical aspects of lifting. An adcomm who does neither will still get a better picture of who you are and how you relieve stress.
 
I have a question regarding an activity I will be continuing through the cycle. I'm currently volunteering at my local hospital and plan to do so through Aug 2015, which I've indicated in the activity description. However, it's somewhat likely that I will be relocating for employment purposes in that time. If that happens I plan to find a hospital at my new location to volunteer at ASAP. Should I make note of that in my activity description now, and indicate that I will send updated correspondence with new contacts, etc. if that does indeed happen?
No, if you change the plan, save it for an update letter when you know the details for sure. But do differentiate between hours you have at the time of submission and those you plan for the future. See post #58 on page 2 for ideas on doing this.
 
What is everyone's/ @gyngyn 's thought on using my last slot on a hobby? As of now it's Dean's List but this is noted on my transcript already- is it okay to list some sort of hobby that I enjoy in my free time (like running or biking) instead of listing Dean's List? I do want the Adcoms to know I'm a person, not a pre-med robot!
Using the space to discuss leisuretime activities is far more likely to add to your appeal as a candidate than listing Deans List Awards.
 
I have a question about how I should enter a continuing activity for hours. Let's say I started activity X in January 2014 and I will be continuing it until June 2015. For the number of hours, should I:

A) Put a single date range; January 2014 - June 2015 and sum up my completed + Expected hours (e.g. 2000 hours)
B) Separate them by making this activity Repeated with two dates: January 2014 - June 2014 (Completed hours), and June 2014 - June 2015 (Tentative Hours).
Choice B would be preferred. If you do A, then in the narrative you should differentiate between current and planned Total Hours, which takes up precious space.
 
I just got the opportunity to be involved with a doctor two days a week . One day will be clinical and one will be research. The clinical work will be the most hands-on work with patients I have done so far, and I do not have any medically related research experience (I have other research, though). I will be starting at the beginning of June and also want to submit my application then as well. Should I list this as an activity on my Primary application at all? Should I list the future hours and then explain that in the description? Or, should I save it for secondaries, update letters, interviews, etc? Thank you!
Since you will have started the experience by the time you submit, it's acceptable to list it, even though it will not add much to your candidacy. It's a good idea to also mention it in Secondaries, update letters, & interviews, if given an opportunity, since the close work with patients will likely give you new perspectives. If you are short on space, omitting it is fine.

Research need not be medically-related to have value on your application.
 
Is it better to maximize the # of categories of our work experiences? What if an experience could be counted under leadership, extracurricular activities, or community service (non-medical/clinical) for example?
Then pick a category that best balances your application, but make the other characteristics of the activity clear, too, through your title and description.
 
In general, is that how the projected hours thing works? So, for continued activities for the school year such as clubs, research etc. should I not include the hours starting next fall?
You can include planned hours through the time you would start at the schools to which you are applying, namely August 2015, the beginning of the fall term for many med schools. I suggest you differentiate between current and future hours in some way, however.
 
What do we do about "unofficial" activities? I tutored a group of veterans (one is a family friend) for a total of maybe 60 hours over a 2 month period in a small group setting. It started as a favor to one friend, but I also tutored other veterans in the department. None of this was official, however - it was at a community college, but none of the staff at the college would know me. Is it still okay to list this, and maybe list the family friend as a contact?
Yes, it's fine to list it, but I suggest you use another veteran than your friend as a contact, if possible. The Teaching category would be a good tag for this activity.
 
It's a giant waste of characters, sure, but for experiences with simple descriptions I've listed verifiers for each experience underneath them as "Name email". I don't think it makes sense for one person to verify 2 other positions that they have no clue I've ever done. Won't schools think the same?
The more contact information you can fit in, the better.
 
I'm having some difficulties with this as well. I want to describe my most meaningful experiences fully and speak to the transformative nature of them in my PS, but the second box that pops up when I designate an experience as most meaningful asks specifically about it. Am I able to just continue my description? Another poster mentioned to discuss the transformative nature of it in the Work/Activity section, but speak to a specific anecdote or two that impacted me in the PS.
Yes. But I suggest that you not divide a sentence between the first and second area, since I can't guarantee that the school's view wouldn't look strange. Best if you finish a paragraph, then start another in the added "Most Meaningful" space, even though you are continuing with the same essay.
 
I worked a research/lab job for the academic years- so right now i have 1200 (300 hrs/year x 4 year) hours listed under one activity. I split it into 4 times from September to May for each year. Is it a requirement to write "work-study with 10 hours/week" in the description box to show that its employment and to show hours/week or is that not necessary? I'm just a little tight on characters for that and wondering how pertinent that information is?

also, I wasn't going to list dean's list because its on my transcript, but would it be good to list it chronologically especially because i have an upward trend so its something like deans list- Fall 2010, deans list-Spring 2011, second honors-Fall 2011, second honors- Spring 2012, first honors- Fall 2013... etc. - is this good to emphasize an upward trend? can i specifically write that i have an upward trend here or will that be noticed?

for a hobbies section- what if your hobbies are really boring (jogging, cooking, reading...)? None of these are particularly impressive or anything that I could speak to at length really. Should I still list them?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) I worked a research/lab job for the academic years- so right now i have 1200 (300 hrs/year x 4 year) hours listed under one activity. I split it into 4 times from September to May for each year. Is it a requirement to write "work-study with 10 hours/week" in the description box to show that its employment and to show hours/week or is that not necessary? I'm just a little tight on characters for that and wondering how pertinent that information is?

2) also, I wasn't going to list dean's list because its on my transcript, but would it be good to list it chronologically especially because i have an upward trend so its something like deans list- Fall 2010, deans list-Spring 2011, second honors-Fall 2011, second honors- Spring 2012, first honors- Fall 2013... etc. - is this good to emphasize an upward trend? can i specifically write that i have an upward trend here or will that be noticed?

3) for a hobbies section- what if your hobbies are really boring (jogging, cooking, reading...)? None of these are particularly impressive or anything that I could speak to at length really. Should I still list them?
1) That it's a work/study job is important info, so I'd include that term somewhere; putting it in the title is a good place. I like to see the hours per week so I don't have to calculate it out myself. Do what you can to keep it in the description, if possible.

2) Personally, I wouldn't read through those details of which terms earned deans list. If your GPA is on the lower side, I guarantee your transcript will be looked at closely (if you meet the stated cutoff) and the upward trend noticed. If you want to highlight it, use a Secondary essay for "A challenge overcome," "A stress and how you managed it," or "Is there anything else you want us to know?" or somesuch.

3) Yes. Consider a bit more effort to make it interesting, so you have a hook if nothing else you've listed qualifies. Like this would do it for cooking: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...f-trying-to-unique.704852/page-2#post-9299338
 
Then pick a category that best balances your application, but make the other characteristics of the activity clear, too, through your title and description.

Awesome thanks @Catalystik. Hope your trip went well. And if we classify something as one category but the app reader disagrees with our classification of that activity, it shouldn't be an issue right (as long as the activity itself has elements of all potential classifications)?

(for example -- you lead a school club whose mission is to volunteer in inner city high schools and you yourself are a mentor to students in addition to your leadership role within the club) -> could this be classified as community service not medical/clinical if we already have other leadership and extracurricular slots filled?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
1) Can I include links? I have a number of published articles and a number of pictures of the results of one of my hobbies that I feel represent my skills very well.

2) Also, how do adcoms respond to articles that have profanity in them? I write for a humor site and the word "balls", among others, may appear in multiple sentences.
1) Yes.

2) If "balls" is an example of the strongest term, I wouldn't worry about it. Much.
 
1) if we classify something as one category but the app reader disagrees with our classification of that activity, it shouldn't be an issue right (as long as the activity itself has elements of all potential classifications)?

2) (for example -- you lead a club whose mission is to volunteer in inner city high schools and you yourself are a mentor to students in addition to your leadership role within the club) -> could this be classified as community service not medical/clinical if we already have other leadership and extracurricular slots filled?
1) It won't be an issue if your description supports the "tag" you picked.

2) Yes.
 
1) That it's a work/study job is important info, so I'd include that term somewhere; putting it in the title is a good place. I like to see the hours per week so I don't have to calculate it out myself. Do what you can to keep it in the description, if possible.

1) why is showing a work/study job in an experience description or title important info? I thought it might take away from an activity if it was a most meaningful research activity, would adcoms question our motives for doing it (financial as opposed to academic curiosity?)This thread seems to imply that work study positions are associated with minimal duties? What if through our research we were able to achieve a lot (conferences, pubs etc.), but the funding was through work study?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/amcas-ec-research-funded-by-work-study.130891/
 
Last edited:
Thanks!

From a week or two ago: 1) Should we mention a publication in an experience description if we already mentioned it in the "publications" box?

1) You may, but not in the same detail.
Follow up: if we mention we published papers in the most meaningful part of an activity, should we include them in the experience description of that same activity as well at the risk of being repetitive? (already have them listed in publications entry) Not sure how adcoms read these/if they read everything sequentially..
 
Last edited:
I participated in a beauty pageant my freshman year of college and wanted to include it in the activities section. What would I categorize it under? I'm not sure what I should go with lol
 
This question relates to another section of the application: the standardized test section. Should I put SAT scores? 800/780/750
For the Work/Activities section: Should I include my summer job as camp counselor? Doesn't sound very medically-related.
Should I include non-science conferences that I attended like Clinton's GI? Or does seem as if I'm stretching to get to 15.
 
From a week or two ago: 1) Should we mention a publication in an experience description if we already mentioned it in the "publications" box?

Follow up: if we mention we published papers in the most meaningful part of an activity, should we include them in the experience description of that same activity as well at the risk of being repetitive? (already have them listed in publications entry) Not sure how adcoms read these/if they read everything sequentially..
If you've cited them in the Publication space, don't do so again. Referring to the publication elsewhere is fine if you have room.

Each med school can reorder the activities list as they wish. "Chronologically" is the default setting.

Also, your concerns about the Work/Study designation are overblown. You had a choice of jobs to take. You had a choice of how involved to get and how much responsibility to take on. Only your own motivation made you as productive as you became, and your description and discussion of impact will show that.
 
This question relates to another section of the application: the standardized test section. Should I put SAT scores? 800/780/750
For the Work/Activities section: Should I include my summer job as camp counselor? Doesn't sound very medically-related.
Should I include non-science conferences that I attended like Clinton's GI? Or does seem as if I'm stretching to get to 15.
I would include anything that you think adds to your value as a possible doctor. Did the camp counselor position teach you anything about leadership, service, or something to that regard? If you can write about it in that way on your application, it may help. If you will just post it as "Worked 5 hours a day running around with kids", then maybe its better to leave it off. Same for the non-science conference.
 
@NCKSD, I can site some valuable experience from the camp counselor job. But the conference… does everyone explain its impact, or is it just listed? Same thing with posters I created for a university-run conference: list or description/explanation?
 
How do i list the contact infor and number of hours for hobbies?

I played trumpet for more than 10 years so I want to list those, but not sure who to use for contact and what to put for hours and dates
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do i list the contact infor and number of hours for hobbies?

I played trumpet for more than 10 years so I want to list those, but not sure who to use for contact and what to put for hours and dates
If you no longer play the trumpet, consider not listing it. If you do still play the trumpet, you could use an old music tutor, someone from a band you played in, or a teacher from a formal class. If all else fails, you can use a family member or yourself.
 
How would i list the hours for an oral presentation? Do i count in the hours spent on the project? or just the presentation time itself? I feel like adding prep hours is a little cheating since I already listed those hours under research category

It was an oral presentation at AACR. My speaking time was only 15 minutes.

Also for contact person, can I list my PI instead of someone from AACR? not exactly srue who sepcifically to use from AACR...
 
1) How would i list the hours for an oral presentation?
2) Do i count in the hours spent on the project? or just the presentation time itself? I feel like adding prep hours is a little cheating since I already listed those hours under research category

It was an oral presentation at AACR. My speaking time was only 15 minutes.

2) Also for contact person, can I list my PI instead of someone from AACR? not exactly srue who sepcifically to use from AACR...
1) Enter the lowest number the space will accept: either a 0 or 1.

2) Yes.
 
1) Which designation should I choose for an "intercollegiate academic competition"? It was during one semester and for credit.

2) Which designation should I choose for a "Leadership Program"? Basically involved meeting with several professionals in the community from various backgrounds and being involved in several activities to build leadership skills, awareness of community issues, etc...
1) Use the "Other" tag.

2) Rather than listing a leadership program, I suggest you list the Leadership activities you engaged in that utilized the skills learned during the process. You can credit the program or not, as you wish.
 
I know listing it as "Leadership" wouldn't be ideal. But, you think if I list this program under "other" it will be looked down upon or look like I'm padding? This wasn't any mediocre leadership program. It required me to have previous experience/leadership in my community and I had to be interviewed. I would say it was a transformative experience because I was exposed to certain things I never knew existed and it helped me develop a new perspective and understanding of community issues and ways to resolve them.

I was actually looking forward to writing about this experience as a most meaningful but now I'm assuming I shouldn't even list it?
Well, let's reconsider based on this new information:
1) If you got into the program due to previous leadership experience, and it was a competitive selection process, you might list it under Awards/Honors, providing the back story in that same space for context .

2) Or you could mention it in the same space as the description of the Leadership upon which your selection was based.

If either experience is made "Most Meaningful" then you'd have plenty of space to describe the impact of the activity. Do you think something like this could work?
 
@NCKSD, I can site some valuable experience from the camp counselor job. But the conference… does everyone explain its impact, or is it just listed? Same thing with posters I created for a university-run conference: list or description/explanation?

Usually some people save a box out of the 15 to have a general "Miscelleanous awards/activities" where you can put all the smaller items that weren't deserving of their own box. You could just list it in there with other things or make it its own box if you did something substantial at the conference. I don't know too much about the Clinton GI but if you were a speaker, presenter, or something more than most undergrad attendants, then maybe its worth posting.
 
I have a question regarding activities: I have been babysitting for the same family for 6 years. I've probably spent 800-1000 hours babysitting for this one family. What would that go under if I wanted to list it in the work/activities section on the AMCAS application? Any input on if this is a bad idea or not? Thank you!
 
I have a question regarding activities: I have been babysitting for the same family for 6 years. I've probably spent 800-1000 hours babysitting for this one family. What would that go under if I wanted to list it in the work/activities section on the AMCAS application? Any input on if this is a bad idea or not?
Use Employment-not Medical/Clinical. I think it's a fine idea to include, as Adcomms like to know how you spend your time. Continuous employment at one site indicates that you are responsible, trusted, and (in this case) likely a good problem solver.
 
Hello, I have some questions.

1) I've shadowed five physicians, all at different time points, and plan to include them all under one category. However, three of the physicians work in the same practice; would it be alright to list those physicians' individual names and titles (some were pulmonary, others palliative or sleep medicine), and then indicate that they were all in the same office and have the same contact info? Wasn't entirely sure how to do that neatly (and still have room for an explanation of the activity).

2) I received several study abroad scholarships, including one national one, for a semester program. Would you recommend listing these awards in their own category, separate from other academic honors/awards? If so, I was thinking about explaining the awards, as they required me to develop a project and would allow me to talk a bit about study abroad.

3) Just to clarify, is listing a hobby/artistic endeavor as "Most Meaningful" alright? I have danced and performed for the last 12 years, so it has been a major activity that has shaped my character. I'm thinking of choosing non-clinical volunteering/tutoring and biomedical research for my other two, but wanted to make sure that I wasn't veering off in the wrong direction with these, especially since they're not directly in the medical field.

4) Finally, I have 600+ hours of clinical experience from the nursing program. I've extensively shadowed physicians (80+ hours) but was curious if I should list my clinicals under 'Other.' They involved directly caring for patients and performing basic procedures, but I wasn't sure if there was any benefit to explicitly mentioning it.

Sorry for all of the questions! Thank you.
 
I wasn't planning on listing future hours, but is it necessary I go back and list them? (For things like work, volunteering, research, hobbies, etc.) Pretty much everything.
 
1) I've shadowed five physicians, all at different time points, and plan to include them all under one category. However, three of the physicians work in the same practice; would it be alright to list those physicians' individual names and titles (some were pulmonary, others palliative or sleep medicine), and then indicate that they were all in the same office and have the same contact info? Wasn't entirely sure how to do that neatly (and still have room for an explanation of the activity).

2) I received several study abroad scholarships, including one national one, for a semester program. Would you recommend listing these awards in their own category, separate from other academic honors/awards? If so, I was thinking about explaining the awards, as they required me to develop a project and would allow me to talk a bit about study abroad.

3) Just to clarify, is listing a hobby/artistic endeavor as "Most Meaningful" alright? I have danced and performed for the last 12 years, so it has been a major activity that has shaped my character. I'm thinking of choosing non-clinical volunteering/tutoring and biomedical research for my other two, but wanted to make sure that I wasn't veering off in the wrong direction with these, especially since they're not directly in the medical field.

4) Finally, I have 600+ hours of clinical experience from the nursing program. I've extensively shadowed physicians (80+ hours) but was curious if I should list my clinicals under 'Other.' They involved directly caring for patients and performing basic procedures, but I wasn't sure if there was any benefit to explicitly mentioning it.
1)Use the header info to show the three docs were in the same practice. List their information first with a breakdown of hours for each, then add: "Also: H. Pierce, MD, Pediatrics at [email protected] 8 hours and BJ Honeycutt, DO, Chest Surgeon, at 555-123-3456 during office hours 16 hour" or somesuch.

2) Yes. And explanation would be good.

3) Of course! A successful dancer demonstrates many qualities that are good characteristics to have in a potential physician.

4) A curricular nursing program isn't volunteer or employment, so Other is suitable. Adcomms have a pretty good idea of what Nursing Clinicals involve so explain or not, as the space allows, after covering impact and transformative nature, if you prefer.
 
1)Use the header info to show the three docs were in the same practice. List their information first with a breakdown of hours for each, then add: "Also: H. Pierce, MD, Pediatrics at [email protected] 8 hours and BJ Honeycutt, DO, Chest Surgeon, at 555-123-3456 during office hours 16 hour" or somesuch.

2) Yes. And explanation would be good.

3) Of course! A successful dancer demonstrates many qualities that are good characteristics to have in a potential physician.

4) A curricular nursing program isn't volunteer or employment, so Other is suitable. Adcomms have a pretty good idea of what Nursing Clinicals involve so explain or not, as the space allows, after covering impact and transformative nature, if you prefer.

Excellent, thank you - that will save a lot of space! Quick follow-up to my first question: One of the physicians (separate practice) is writing me a letter and I had the longest shadowing experience with him. Given that, should he be the one I put in my header, or does that not matter? I'll probably title the entire thing under something general like "Shadowing Experiences," so I imagine as long as I represent everyone I've shadowed and give a good description, it should be ok. Still, just wanted to check. Thank you again!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wasn't planning on listing future hours, but is it necessary I go back and list them? (For things like work, volunteering, research, hobbies, etc.) Pretty much everything.
Long-term adcomms for AMCAS schools aren't used to seeing predicted future hours, so I expect that most, like me, would not give them much weight. Their only value [sic] is that they give an indication of activities that might be continued through the application year. Your plan is fine by me (preferred, in fact), but unfortunately, I cannot guarantee mine is a universal or even a majority viewpoint. You will have to decide. But if you do decide to list future hours, I encourage you to differentiate between current and future hours in some way, with a few ideas below:
Being able to enter a future End Date is new to AMCAS since last year. Adcomms are accustomed to knowing how many hours you have already spent on an activity, without the addition of how many you predict you will spend in the future (which may or may not happen). But there is only one Total Hours blank to fill in. Applicants would ideally make the difference clear, so there is no inaccurate guesswork on the adcomm's part. Some ways to do this:

1) Use this month for the End Date blank and the Total Hours space for current hours, then in the narrative, state future End Date + predicted additional hours.

Example for Research:

15-20 hrs/wk.; 40 hrs/wk in summer.
Plan to continue through 9/14, adding 500 more hours
- Paid research assistant since June 2011. Continuing full-time post-application.
- Research directed at finding interventions to improve outcome following acute brain injury by identifying potential candidates in experimental stroke models from those drugs either already in use or in human trials for other purposes.
- Involved in tasks ranging from microscopy to cell counting.
- Current Project: Confocal analysis of the effects of progesterone and allopregnanolone on neurogenesis following cerebral ischemia in mice.
- First job ever - able to gain an understanding of working with a superior and employing teamwork with colleagues.

Or

2) State the Total Hours completed for a date span ending the month of submission. Select "Yes" that you Repeated the activity. For the second date span use a start date also for the month of submission and the end date in the future. Enter the predicted future Total Hours.
 
One of the physicians (separate practice) is writing me a letter and I had the longest shadowing experience with him. Given that, should he be the one I put in my header, or does that not matter? I'll probably title the entire thing under something general like "Shadowing Experiences," so I imagine as long as I represent everyone I've shadowed and give a good description, it should be ok. Still, just wanted to check.
That approach will work fine as well.
 
Not when we see the end date.

One of the volunteer activities I started recently I plan on continuing even after I'm accepted, if I'm accepted to a nearby school. How would I list hours then since there isn't really an end date?
 
One of the volunteer activities I started recently I plan on continuing even after I'm accepted, if I'm accepted to a nearby school. How would I list hours then since there isn't really an end date?
The application doesn't allow you to enter a future end date after Aug 2015, but you can mention your plans in the narrative space if you wish.
 
Does this mean that I can approximate the total hours I plan to do a volunteer activity from when I've started before the primary is due up until the end date before school starts and put that in my total hours? Won't that be suspicious when or if they confirm with my contact?
This is one reason why it's a good idea to specify current total hours vs future planned hours in some way. See post #555 above for strategies.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.