*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2014-2015*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what are yall's thoughts on listing something as "meaningful" if you've only done it a couple of months (in reference to a volunteering gig)?

Members don't see this ad.

Use a coworker, friend, or family member as contact.
Just FYI for anyone in my situation, AAMC told me that you can use yourself to verify participation in a given activity if the supervisor cannot be contacted, or as in my situation, it would cause problems for the supervisor to be contacted.

I need help deciding if I should include an experience on my AMCAS.

I was a research assistant for 1 quarter where basically I just genotyped mice. I am filling it out on my Activities section right now and I don't have much to say other than "Did PCR, ran gels, cleaned the lab...etc."

I have another lab experience that was much more meaningful where I presented a poster, but I would kind of be sad if I didn't include my genotyping lab since I did spend around 120 hours there. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need help deciding if I should include an experience on my AMCAS.

I was a research assistant for 1 quarter where basically I just genotyped mice. I am filling it out on my Activities section right now and I don't have much to say other than "Did PCR, ran gels, cleaned the lab...etc."

I have another lab experience that was much more meaningful where I presented a poster, but I would kind of be sad if I didn't include my genotyping lab since I did spend around 120 hours there. Thanks.
The tag provided is Research/ Lab. It sounds like your role was a research tech, and that would be fine to include as an activity.

Reactions: 1 user
This isn't exactly work and activities, but it directly relates to one of my most meaningful so I was hoping that someone might be able to give some insight into how sports activities are viewed and what makes one more valid than another.

I'm thinking of writing my "personal challenge" secondary essay about being the worst person on my college varsity athletic team and learning that my place was instead to do my best and encourage others to succeed (contribute to the team in ways other than points scored). I wrote about the team for a most meaningful experience, but I don't allude to any particular prowess. I definitely had the skills to make the team, but going from the best in HS to the worst in college was a major challenge and learning point for me.

My question is- will this be an appropriate topic? Will admitting that I was the worst person on the team diminish the fact that I was a varsity athlete in the eyes of an adcom? Will they view my time (25+ hours a week) and commitment as less if I admit that I wasn't exactly "varsity athlete" material?

Hi all,

I have some questions:
  1. Regarding research, the research I was part of was presented at two conferences. One I attended (and presented), the other one I neither attended nor presented. Since both were presentations, though, should both be listed under Poster/Presentation? I was a bit confused by the fact that there is that category in addition to the Conferences Attended category (I assume, then, the latter is for literally only attending and not presenting anything?).
  2. Should I put all awards earned under one Award category? Three are related to language/cultural studies, a fourth is a travel grant, and a fifth is a senior award from the college.

Does anyone think that leadership positions in political organizations which can be controversial can ruin my application?

I am involved in several leadership positions for political campaigns that may be controversial to some admission committees. I would like to keep them there, since they show personal conviction/ identity, and leadership.

I researched in a chemistry lab in undregrad, earned several awards and research followships, and presented at national and international conferences. Is it appropriate to list each of these items as separate entries (research, awards, and presentations) or should I group any of the above into one experience?

Regarding writing descriptions in paragraph form vs. bullet points. Would it look weird if I have some descriptions in paragraph from and some in bullet point form?

I work full time in my research lab and put that I would continue through july 2015... I make $10/hr and I just got offered a job as a lab analyst that pays $20/hr at a very respectable company... I already submitted my application. I need to do what's best for me and take this job, but what if someone calls my research contact and they say I left them in June?

I was in a sports club on campus (not intercollegiate). Should I list this under Hobbies or Extracurricular Activities? If I put it under ECs then I won't have anything for hobbies.

So I already submitted, but...
I just noticed that one of my activities has too many hours. I had a research position which was part clinical and part bench, and split it into two so I could describe each project. Somehow, I miscalculated so it looks like I worked 50 hrs a week at the position...it was usually closer to 40. Obviously, the # of hours is pretty high (in the thousands) for each of them, but one of them is a clinical experience, and I feel bad about possible inflation. Worth contacting AMCAS? My understanding from previous threads on this topic is that they don't fix applicants' dumb mistakes.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the hobbies section I am including my love of travel. Would it be ok to use a word like "wanderlust"?

So I already submitted, but...
I just noticed that one of my activities has too many hours. I had a research position which was part clinical and part bench, and split it into two so I could describe each project. Somehow, I miscalculated so it looks like I worked 50 hrs a week at the position...it was usually closer to 40. Obviously, the # of hours is pretty high (in the thousands) for each of them, but one of them is a clinical experience, and I feel bad about possible inflation. Worth contacting AMCAS? My understanding from previous threads on this topic is that they don't fix applicants' dumb mistakes.

I think you should just leave it; when you get in the 1000s of hours, there really isn't much difference in adding a few hundred more or less.
Regarding writing descriptions in paragraph form vs. bullet points. Would it look weird if I have some descriptions in paragraph from and some in bullet point form?

No.

I've been volunteering at a camp for children with type 1 diabetes for 10 years. I have a few questions:

(This experience is going into my personal statement, so I understand I will be brief with whatever I state in the work/activities section and that I won't mention anything twice. I consider it my most meaningful experience, but, since I'm using it for my PS, I won't choose it as my most meaningful... right?)
  • Even though my position isn't part of the "medical staff," I (as a counsellor) monitor and treat campers' blood sugars as directed by doctors and nurses. As of now, I consider this "non-medical community service." Am I right, or should I consider it "medical?"
  • The camp is only one week a year, but I've been volunteering consecutively since I started (10 yrs ago). Should I indicate that I've returned multiple times, or should I say that I haven't returned but have been continually participating until August 2015?
    • If I say that I've returned, how should I split 10 years and the associated hours into the 4 provided sections?
  • For the past 3 years, my role has also been co-assistant director.
    • Should I put this in the same activity, or should I create a separate activity under "leadership?"
    • Should I leave the "co-" part out? I had a fellow co-assistant director with whom I consulted and came to decisions about camp. I think the "co-" makes the title sound less important, as if there were more than one person above me. I feel pompous for even thinking about it, but is it something I should consider?
  • Also for the past 3 years, I've volunteered for a camp in which the families of newly-diagnosed children come for three days and learn whatever they can about diabetes from the available healthcare providers. This is technically a different camp, but the experience is very similar to the week-long camp, as my duties lie more with the children rather than with their parents. Should I just mention it (and its significance) in the same section as the week-long camp?
  • My father is the main doctor of the camp and the main reason I began going 20 years ago (as a non-diabetic camper son-of-a-doctor). Should I mention any involvement before I actually began "volunteering?"
    • For example, should I talk about my exposure to the lifestyle associated with type 1 diabetes at a young age, or my encouragement for children (and adults) to healthily monitor their blood sugars while staying positive, or my willingness to prick my own finger or inject saline into my stomach to encourage the newly-diagnosed and timid?
    • I feel like I should mention that I volunteered to go to camp before I was a "volunteer." My father never forced me into going.
FYI: I'm 26 and happen to not have diabetes.​

I researched in a chemistry lab in undregrad, earned several awards and research followships, and presented at national and international conferences. Is it appropriate to list each of these items as separate entries (research, awards, and presentations) or
should I group any of the above into one experience?

If awards/fellowships/conferences are related to one lab/research area, I'd put them in one experience. Different research areas, different entries would be my approach.

I was in a sports club on campus (not intercollegiate). Should I list this under Hobbies or Extracurricular Activities? If I put it under ECs then I won't have anything for hobbies.

This distinction shouldn't matter... I view ECs as more social hobbies- it's not like you can play soccer with yourself. I didn't designate any hobbies on my app (ie, one of my "hobbies" is music . I had several music-y ECs and jobs listed)

I've been volunteering at a camp for children with type 1 diabetes for 10 years. I have a few questions:

(This experience is going into my personal statement, so I understand I will be brief with whatever I state in the work/activities section and that I won't mention anything twice. I consider it my most meaningful experience, but, since I'm using it for my PS, I won't choose it as my most meaningful... right?)
  • Even though my position isn't part of the "medical staff," I (as a counsellor) monitor and treat campers' blood sugars as directed by doctors and nurses. As of now, I consider this "non-medical community service." Am I right, or should I consider it "medical?"
  • The camp is only one week a year, but I've been volunteering consecutively since I started (10 yrs ago). Should I indicate that I've returned multiple times, or should I say that I haven't returned but have been continually participating until August 2015?
    • If I say that I've returned, how should I split 10 years and the associated hours into the 4 provided sections?
  • For the past 3 years, my role has also been co-assistant director.
    • Should I put this in the same activity, or should I create a separate activity under "leadership?"
    • Should I leave the "co-" part out? I had a fellow co-assistant director with whom I consulted and came to decisions about camp. I think the "co-" makes the title sound less important, as if there were more than one person above me. I feel pompous for even thinking about it, but is it something I should consider?
  • Also for the past 3 years, I've volunteered for a camp in which the families of newly-diagnosed children come for three days and learn whatever they can about diabetes from the available healthcare providers. This is technically a different camp, but the experience is very similar to the week-long camp, as my duties lie more with the children rather than with their parents. Should I just mention it (and its significance) in the same section as the week-long camp?
  • My father is the main doctor of the camp and the main reason I began going 20 years ago (as a non-diabetic camper son-of-a-doctor). Should I mention any involvement before I actually began "volunteering?"
    • For example, should I talk about my exposure to the lifestyle associated with type 1 diabetes at a young age, or my encouragement for children (and adults) to healthily monitor their blood sugars while staying positive, or my willingness to prick my own finger or inject saline into my stomach to encourage the newly-diagnosed and timid?
    • I feel like I should mention that I volunteered to go to camp before I was a "volunteer." My father never forced me into going.
FYI: I'm 26 and happen to not have diabetes.​

mad props for your username. Going in order of your bullets, my thoughts are:

1. "medical / non-medical": helping campers with disease management sounds medical to me...
2. Probably easier to list it as one continuous event, then mention summers in description
3. Same activity for the leadership, again mention your leader role in description. I think you're overthinking the "co-" ;)
4. I think you could combine the two camps, your call
5. I'd start with your actual volunteering date/age

Has anyone worked as a "paid volunteer?" I have worked as a volunteer EMT for a rural ambulance organization for several years. I am paid $40 per 12 hour shift as a "gas and food stipend." It is a 50 mile round trip drive for me. I have always considered it volunteering but I am unsure to categorize it as volunteer or paid employment.

I am having trouble deciding how to phrase my work/experiences sections. A lot of folks say that it is best to be purely descriptive - say what you did and get out. But others say it is necessary to reflect and express how it influenced you. I don't want to screw myself by going either way on this. Does anyone have some definitive information on this?

I've like to play an instrument in my spare time, is this worth putting down as a hobby?

I've like to play an instrument in my spare time, is this worth putting down as a hobby?
Just my two cents on this. I've played guitar since the age of 10 and was able to convince myself I needed to put it in because it is a large part of who I am. I think that if it means something to you and tells a part of your story that you want schools to see, then put it in there. But I wouldn't put it in just because you're scrambling for extra activities.

Has anyone worked as a "paid volunteer?" I have worked as a volunteer EMT for a rural ambulance organization for several years. I am paid $40 per 12 hour shift as a "gas and food stipend." It is a 50 mile round trip drive for me. I have always considered it volunteering but I am unsure to categorize it as volunteer or paid employment.

Given the distance and time, I think that counts as volunteering with the organization providing your transportation. Use your best judgment, tho.

Hello, I have a general question:

So I have my experiences listed and with their descriptions. However, I have been hearing some viewpoints about the content of the descriptions themselves, especially with regard to letting adcomms people know how a particular experience will benefit you as a future doctor (in terms of what skills/competencies/insights you gained).

My question is: Is it also important to write in the descriptions how your experiences will benefit you as a future doctor? I'll give an example for more clarification.

One of my experiences is that I, with a group of other students, gave a presentation to elementary school students on food addiction, and how it affects the brain and other aspects of an individual's life. Is it important for me to mention in my description how this experience "taught me the value of being an educator to the general public, which is very important for a physician to become", or something along the lines of that?

Another example is being a part of a leadership program that focuses on politics/civics. Should I mention how this experience "will enable me to learn an understand the workings of health care policy as a physician"

Many opinions are much appreciated. Thanks!

OK -- I've spent the last ten minutes trying to use the search function; my search-fu may be failing me. Please bear with me if something similar has already been answered:

I've been sketching/painting for the past 13 years or so if not more; I'm having trouble nailing down a date range and an hour count. Could I just estimate by using "January 2000 - August 2014" or something like that? And would I really need to calculate some kind of estimate on the hours I've spent doing this? The organization name is also throwing me for a loop... Thanks so much for the help.

I saw how you should group "Academic Recognition" for honor societies. Should I just put the contact info for the first honor society? and then list the others out in the description? the contact information is different for all of them, so that's what is confusing me

I did a co-op where I worked full time for six months in an ER, and then I returned there about a year later for full time employment where I have been for several years. I presented a poster at an intra-school co-op expo about the benefit of my experience after my co-op.

My question for you all is, would you include the poster as a standalone entry and group all of the work experience together? I do not have any other publications or posters. Or, would you list co-op+poster in one entry, and then regular subsequent employment post-graduation? If it matters, co-op and regular employment are exactly the same in role/responsibilities, co-op is more like a six-month leave of absence from school rather than an internship program.

I saw how you should group "Academic Recognition" for honor societies. Should I just put the contact info for the first honor society? and then list the others out in the description? the contact information is different for all of them, so that's what is confusing me

That's what I did! Alternatively, an academic advisor who can vouch for your membership in different groups.

Does anyone think that leadership positions in political organizations which can be controversial can ruin my application?

I am involved in several leadership positions for political campaigns that may be controversial to some admission committees. I would like to keep them there, since they show personal conviction/ identity, and leadership.

I have the exact same question! I am president of one of the political orgs on campus and I"ve really learned a lot and have been active with politics in the community. However, when I was interviewing with my professors for rec letters they all kind of said something about said organization (negative connotation. Can't decide if I want to include or not,,

1) Yes. List the expected hours separate from the completed hours, though.

2) At the end of the related Research space, state, "Manuscript in preparation." Don't refer to it as a publication until it's accepted, perhaps in Secondaries or update letters.

1. in order to list the dates separately should I indicate the activity as repeated?

If the political organization is potentially a conflict, then try to frame it as best as possible. However, if it can't be replaced by something else, then you almost need to put it. Just have to frame it very carefully and don't state any outright opinions on any political issues. Or include a blurb that the experience has brought a new light to differing opinions in a variety of issues. Always make everything a positive... What is is, not what it's not.

IE if i was in a political organization who's primary focus was on advocating pro-choice, i could spin it as a political organization that was involved with procreative options.. Not sure how to word it right now because I haven't had my coffee yet, but you see what I mean hopefully.

I did a co-op where I worked full time for six months in an ER, and then I returned there about a year later for full time employment where I have been for several years. I presented a poster at an intra-school co-op expo about the benefit of my experience after my co-op.

My question for you all is, would you a) include the poster as a standalone entry and group all of the work experience together? I do not have any other publications or posters. Or, b) would you list co-op+poster in one entry, and then regular subsequent employment post-graduation? If it matters, co-op and regular employment are exactly the same in role/responsibilities, co-op is more like a six-month leave of absence from school rather than an internship program.
I suggest you reserve the Poster designation for the presentation of original research data and choose the second option you have described (b).

I've been sketching/painting for the past 13 years or so if not more; I'm having trouble nailing down a date range and an hour count. Could I just estimate by using "January 2000 - August 2014" or something like that? And would I really need to calculate some kind of estimate on the hours I've spent doing this? The organization name is also throwing me for a loop.
Consider using the Repeated activity option so you can break the activity into pre-HS, HS, and during college. Or, you can enter a 1 for total hours and then in the narrative give a vague impression of the hours or degree of involvement. Specifics aren't really needed for a hobby or artistic endeavor. Giving a sense of growth and dedication to the activity is more important.

For organization name, you might use the sponsor of the last art class you took, with the teacher as the contact.

So I have my experiences listed and with their descriptions. However, I have been hearing some viewpoints about the content of the descriptions themselves, especially with regard to letting adcomms people know how a particular experience will benefit you as a future doctor (in terms of what skills/competencies/insights you gained).

My question is: Is it also important to write in the descriptions how your experiences will benefit you as a future doctor? I'll give an example for more clarification.

One of my experiences is that I, with a group of other students, gave a presentation to elementary school students on food addiction, and how it affects the brain and other aspects of an individual's life. Is it important for me to mention in my description how this experience "taught me the value of being an educator to the general public, which is very important for a physician to become", or something along the lines of that?

Another example is being a part of a leadership program that focuses on politics/civics. Should I mention how this experience "will enable me to learn an understand the workings of health care policy as a physician"
Every activity isn't necessarily subject to the reflection you describe. When it suits what you want to convey and fits the activity, you can include it, or decide the connection is so logical that you need not spend characters pointing it out.

For the examples you give, the first is reasonable, but perhaps too broad (many physicians never "educate the public but rather focus on 0ne-on-one instruction), the second hinges on future events which may or may not happen, so I'd leave that out, unless you've already been inspired to research healthcare policy (in which case, expect a lot of specific questions).

I am having trouble deciding how to phrase my work/experiences sections. A lot of folks say that it is best to be purely descriptive - say what you did and get out. But others say it is necessary to reflect and express how it influenced you. I don't want to screw myself by going either way on this. Does anyone have some definitive information on this?
See post #1199 above. It's fine to reflect or not as is suited to the activity. Some activities are so well-known that description isn't needed, leaving more characters for impact, if you wish to describe it.

I work full time in my research lab and put that I would continue through july 2015... I make $10/hr and I just got offered a job as a lab analyst that pays $20/hr at a very respectable company... I already submitted my application. I need to do what's best for me and take this job, but what if someone calls my research contact and they say I left them in June?
It would be wise to mention a correction in Secondaries, update letters, and interview conversations where possible. Don't worry yourself unduly. I expect that most adcomms, like me, don't give much weight to future plans anyway.

I researched in a chemistry lab in undregrad, earned several awards and research followships, and presented at national and international conferences. Is it appropriate to list each of these items as separate entries (research, awards, and presentations) or should I group any of the above into one experience?
It's certainly allowable to list them separately, but with such an embarrassment of riches, most would group them to create a meatier experience space, unless one has a great deal to say about some of them.

If the political organization is potentially a conflict, then try to frame it as best as possible. However, if it can't be replaced by something else, then you almost need to put it. Just have to frame it very carefully and don't state any outright opinions on any political issues. Or include a blurb that the experience has brought a new light to differing opinions in a variety of issues. Always make everything a positive... What is is, not what it's not.

IE if i was in a political organization who's primary focus was on advocating pro-choice, i could spin it as a political organization that was involved with procreative options.. Not sure how to word it right now because I haven't had my coffee yet, but you see what I mean hopefully.
You can also focus on organization goals that are universal to any political party, like getting folks to register to vote.

1) Regarding research, the research I was part of was presented at two conferences. One I attended (and presented), the other one I neither attended nor presented. Since both were presentations, though, should both be listed under Poster/Presentation? I was a bit confused by the fact that there is that category in addition to the Conferences Attended category (I assume, then, the latter is for literally only attending and not presenting anything?).

2) Should I put all awards earned under one Award category? Three are related to language/cultural studies, a fourth is a travel grant, and a fifth is a senior award from the college.
1) Even though you were not present, if your research work was included and your name was mentioned on the author list of the poster or in the presentation description in a conference brochure, then you may give it a Posters/Presentations space, taking care to credit the actual presenter (or say, "Poster Presented by first author", or somesuch).

2) You can group them, mention them with the affiliated activity (like a travel grant), or give them their own space, as seems to present them best in the spaces available.

This isn't exactly work and activities, but it directly relates to one of my most meaningful so I was hoping that someone might be able to give some insight into how sports activities are viewed and what makes one more valid than another.

I'm thinking of writing my "personal challenge" secondary essay about being the worst person on my college varsity athletic team and learning that my place was instead to do my best and encourage others to succeed (contribute to the team in ways other than points scored). I wrote about the team for a most meaningful experience, but I don't allude to any particular prowess. I definitely had the skills to make the team, but going from the best in HS to the worst in college was a major challenge and learning point for me.

My question is- will this be an appropriate topic? Will admitting that I was the worst person on the team diminish the fact that I was a varsity athlete in the eyes of an adcom? Will they view my time (25+ hours a week) and commitment as less if I admit that I wasn't exactly "varsity athlete" material?
This sounds like a good thread-starting post for the main PreMedAllo Forum so you get lots of viewpoints.

I have a question regarding the final space on my work/activities section; input would be appreciated.

I'm debating whether or not to use it for Hobbies, as I have some interesting and unique long-standing hobbies and commitments (horseback riding for 10+ years, certified SCUBA diver, hosting free dog obedience lessons, blog contributor...). I know @Catalystik has mentioned that adding your hobbies is a good thing, if space permits, and I do believe that my application could benefit from doing so.

OR would it be wiser to use the last space for volunteer awards I have been given? More specifically, my commitment to volunteerism and excellence was recognized at two different organizations (however, both are non-medical/clinical organizations). One was Volunteer of the Month recognized by a state senator, the other was a President's Volunteer Service Award. I have discussed both of these volunteer commitments in their own spaces, but do not have room to add that I was awarded for my service.

Thank you!
It's tough when you have too much good stuff and not enough space for everything. I expect you've made the decision by now as to what activity benefits your application the most, and/or grouped other experiences to make room for the most important activities.

Anyone have any tips for work or activity experience, I don't name the contact name (work). It was 4 years ago and short, 3 months. What should I enter?

Anyone have any tips for work or activity experience, I don't name the contact name (work). It was 4 years ago and short, 3 months. What should I enter?
Consider using "Personnel" for the First name and "Director" as the Last name (or somesuch) if you have a phone number you can list. Or, you could exclude the activity from your application. Or use yourself as the contact if you can't use the hiring office.

I have a question if anyone can answer. I discovered a new method in research lab that my professor and I are trying to get patented. We are in the early stages and have just submitted the necessary paperwork. Is this something I should treat similar to a research article, as in don't list it until it is accepted?

I would like to include this in my AMCAS, so if I cannot list this separately, can I just mention it in the description under my research?

Thanks in advance

I have a question if anyone can answer. I discovered a new method in research lab that my professor and I are trying to get patented. We are in the early stages and have just submitted the necessary paperwork. Is this something I should treat similar to a research article, as in don't list it until it is accepted?

I would like to include this in my AMCAS, so if I cannot list this separately, can I just mention it in the description under my research?
You can mention it in the affiliated Research description. It would be even more helpful if your PI refers to it in the LOR he writes for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.