*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) If you spoke or presented at a conference, you'd put it under Posters/Presentations. If you were part of organizing the conference or took a leadership role, using Conferences Attended is appropriate. I'm not clear on how volunteering at one in another capacity would help your application, but feel free to give more detail.

2) You need not detail the process of Shadowing. If you have extra space, add insights gained or impact.

1) For sure. I did take part in organizing it so I guess that is appropriate.

2) So the tricky thing is that for my student-run clinic, I wear many hats and put them into three separate works/activities.
a. Hold multiple leadership positions (was going to detail as meaningful experience to explain all four of them)
b. Shadowed multiple doctors during intake (our clinic shifts doctors every week). I was going to put this under Physician Shadowing.
c. In addition, our general duties extend far beyond just intake shadowing, but also conducting pharmacy, reception, etc. However I can't fit that all into the shadowing part as most of that isn't really shadowing.

What do? Is having three separate categories for my student-run clinic too much? I really do dedicate a heck of a lot of time to it.
 
I'm not sure if this has already been answered, but for those of you who are grouping "Shadowing Experiences" together, what are you putting for the start/end date/contact?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Currently I'm working at a clinic and I will be working here until I get into medical school. How do I show continuation in the application since there is no "until present" like the other years. Do I just put August 2017 as the end date? Also how do I calculate the hours? Do I put in the hours that I already did or the total hours I will be doing? Sorry if this someone asked this already.
 
So the tricky thing is that for my student-run clinic, I wear many hats and put them into three separate works/activities.
a. Hold multiple leadership positions (was going to detail as meaningful experience to explain all four of them)
b. Shadowed multiple doctors during intake (our clinic shifts doctors every week). I was going to put this under Physician Shadowing.
c. In addition, our general duties extend far beyond just intake shadowing, but also conducting pharmacy, reception, etc. However I can't fit that all into the shadowing part as most of that isn't really shadowing.

What do? Is having three separate categories for my student-run clinic too much? I really do dedicate a heck of a lot of time to it.
Dividing into three components isn't "too much" so long as the divided out hours you assign to each is strong enough to stand alone. Just don't double count the hours. Use your best guess-timate to decide what is fair for each (and what your Contact will agree with).
 
Currently I'm working at a clinic and I will be working here until I get into medical school. How do I show continuation in the application since there is no "until present" like the other years. Do I just put August 2017 as the end date? Also how do I calculate the hours? Do I put in the hours that I already did or the total hours I will be doing? Sorry if this someone asked this already.
see options for including future hours at page 3, #137
 
Would having an activity title named " Various Organizations" and then talking about the organizations with what I did in them be ok?

I would like to include the orgs I was part of and active
 
Would having an activity title named " Various Organizations" and then talking about the organizations with what I did in them be ok?

I would like to include the orgs I was part of and active
I'd like to see more descriptors in the title than that. Are they Collegiate, or from the College-Years, do they represent Special Interests, do they fall into two-three categories you could mention, like Sports, Politics, Music, etc that could be included in the name?
 
If one of my MM was my research where I also presented a poster, would i mark MM as the research or the poster presentation?
 
When submitting a study abroad program in my work/ activities how should I list the total hours? I list that it was a 3 week long program in the description, but I feel like that is enough of a description for time commitment, and listing hours would be inappropriate. Would it be better to list the hours as 0, or write in an approximation of 12hrs*21days or 24hrs*21days? Any advice would be appreciated.
 
For MM experiences, do they need to fill up the entire 1325 characters? Right now one of mine is at about 1000 and I don't want to sound like I'm trying to just stretch it out for length. If I tried to get into detail about it I would go way over the 1325
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I have multiple cities, physicians, and hospitals for my physician shadowing, who do I put for my contact, organization name, and City?
 
When submitting a study abroad program in my work/ activities how should I list the total hours? I list that it was a 3 week long program in the description, but I feel like that is enough of a description for time commitment, and listing hours would be inappropriate. Would it be better to list the hours as 0, or write in an approximation of 12hrs*21days or 24hrs*21days? Any advice would be appreciated.

How about a rough average of actual time doing program stuff "averaged about 8 hrs a day" or a "averaged 60 hours a week". It is reasonable
 
Is fourteen too many to list? I have two listed for shadowing b/c one was a program abroad, should I take that out? And a volunteer activity (with children with autism) that I started in February, should I consider taking it out?

Your are overthinking. Stop worry about what the adcom might think about the number of entries, but the quality and experience in each. If you feel they are an accurate representation of who your are, of what you did, and what they say about you, then keep them .
 
For MM experiences, do they need to fill up the entire 1325 characters? Right now one of mine is at about 1000 and I don't want to sound like I'm trying to just stretch it out for length. If I tried to get into detail about it I would go way over the 1325

I was going to to be sarcastic but padding something, stretching it out, adding fluff, is: a) being insincere ; b) easy to spot; c) very off-putting to a reader.
Be concise, coherent, and compelling. Even Shakespeare, a man who wrote thousands of words in long plays, once wrote "brevity is the soul of wit"
 
Your are overthinking. Stop worry about what the adcom might think about the number of entries, but the quality and experience in each. If you feel they are an accurate representation of who your are, of what you did, and what they say about you, then keep them .

thank you 🙂
 
I just read on this thread somewhere that most people do NOT have 15 actvities. But I was able to list 15 comfortably, it was just right actually. In fact I grouped all shadowing under one and all hospital volunteering under one. Ofcourse not all are equally significant, some activities are smaller than others in terms of accomplishment and time. But they all meant something to me and fall under different categories and I would not want to skip any of them.
So will having 15 activities be negative in anyway?
Thanks for your response!
 
I just read on this thread somewhere that most people do NOT have 15 actvities. But I was able to list 15 comfortably, it was just right actually. In fact I grouped all shadowing under one and all hospital volunteering under one. Ofcourse not all are equally significant, some activities are smaller than others in terms of accomplishment and time. But they all meant something to me and fall under different categories and I would not want to skip any of them.
So will having 15 activities be negative in anyway?
Thanks for your response!
it is answered literally is the post immediately preceding yours
 
So when listing activities, I can list the end date as June 2016.

So If when I submit the application tomorrow, June 7th, and have 150 hours. But will get 200 hours by the end of June, is it ok to put 200 hours?
 
Not sure if this was addressed, but in my activities can I mix and match between bullets and paragraph form? Not within the same activity but between activities
 
@gonnif - I am a nontrad student who attended the Old Premeds conference in Washington, DC in June 2014. This will be one of my Most Meaningful experiences. Would it be appropriate to list you as the contact? I found your contact information on the flyer for the conference. If not, let me know who would be most appropriate. Thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have attended multiple conferences but wanted to put them all down in one slot, so I was thinking about putting the most notable one in the experience name and then listing the rest in the experience description. Is that okay? Also, how many hours should I put down? I don't have enough characters left to put hours down for each individual conference.
 
Quick question: I did research for a full semester and then left over the summer and came back the next school year and resumed the research. However this didn't last long as the graduate student I was working with was extremely lazy and bad about getting back to me and I quit working in the lab. Should I mention this in the description as it is clear I quit the research project mid semester and had no desire to ask for a letter of rec from the graduate student I worked with.
 
Last edited:
@gonnif - I am a nontrad student who attended the Old Premeds conference in Washington, DC in June 2014. This will be one of my Most Meaningful experiences. Would it be appropriate to list you as the contact? I found your contact information on the flyer for the conference. If not, let me know who would be most appropriate. Thank you!

Wow, I feel honored... PM if you need details
 
I have attended multiple conferences but wanted to put them all down in one slot, so I was thinking about putting the most notable one in the experience name and then listing the rest in the experience description. Is that okay? Also, how many hours should I put down? I don't have enough characters left to put hours down for each individual conference.

No, I would put a general title "Academic Conferences" or "Neurobiology Conferences" or similar, then list conference title, date, perhaps short blurb on what it was about
 
Quick question: I did research for a full semester and then left over the summer and came back the next school year and resumed the research. However this didn't last long as the graduate student I was working with was extremely lazy and bad about getting back to me and I quit working in the lab. Should I mention this in the description as it is clear I quit the research project mid semester and had no desire to ask for a letter of rec from the graduate student I worked with.

No, dont promote a negative and then a question on why you left. Simply you left
 
If I have multiple cities, physicians, and hospitals for my physician shadowing, who do I put for my contact, organization name, and City?
Pick one of the shadowing experiences, perhaps the most recent, the one with multiple docs, or the one with most hours and use that in the header. List that first in the narrative box with its own hours. For the rest, enter them individually in the narrative with their dates, hours, specialty, and contact info. If there are too many to fit, summarize some without names, just specialties and total hours. If you wish to discuss impact and insights at the end, try to leave enough room for it. Add all the subtotals of hours and enter in the Total Hours box. See page 2, #58 for an example.
 
Would it be a good thing to include a church membership? I go to the church weekly and have been on a retreat with them, but other than that I am just a member. I think it has affected my college experience, but I don't know if it would look lame or inappropriate on my activities list. Thank you!
 
No, dont promote a negative and then a question on why you left. Simply you left

Okay great. Just to clarify when you say "Simply you left", do you mean that I should say that I left just not why? Or I shouldn't mention leaving at all just what I gained from the experience.
 
Would it be a good thing to include a church membership? I go to the church weekly and have been on a retreat with them, but other than that I am just a member. I think it has affected my college experience, but I don't know if it would look lame or inappropriate on my activities list. Thank you!
do you have something to say intelligent, what you got out it, sense of community, etc. It is worth mentioning
 
do you have something to say intelligent, what you got out it, sense of community, etc. It is worth mentioning

Well, I think I would definitely emphasize the sense of community I found within the church. Seeing friendly faces around campus and going to mass each week for reflection time really enhanced my sense of well-being. And I could describe my reasons for joining, to find that community and continue to grow my faith. But I am not sure if that is significant enough. If there is any chance that including this activity would hurt me, I don't think I will include it. Could it be bad to identify my religious beliefs? Thanks so much.
 
I am a reapplicant, and in my application last cycle, my contact person for my volunteering has since left the position and I'm not sure if his "name@hospital" email is still working because he hasn't responded to my email yet... Should I change the contact person to the new volunteer coordinator? Or will this look inconsistent and sketchy?
 
Well, I think I would definitely emphasize the sense of community I found within the church. Seeing friendly faces around campus and going to mass each week for reflection time really enhanced my sense of well-being. And I could describe my reasons for joining, to find that community and continue to grow my faith. But I am not sure if that is significant enough. If there is any chance that including this activity would hurt me, I don't think I will include it. Could it be bad to identify my religious beliefs? Thanks so much.

No, it shows a long term commitment and a fellowship with others, two very important qualities in a physician. I say have faith that this will only be a positive for you
 
I am a reapplicant, and in my application last cycle, my contact person for my volunteering has since left the position and I'm not sure if his "name@hospital" email is still working because he hasn't responded to my email yet... Should I change the contact person to the new volunteer coordinator? Or will this look inconsistent and sketchy?

People change, dont get neurotic. Just change to current person as long as they confirm you had the position.
 
I did several medical service trips where we had medical clinics. I mostly took patient histories (needed a translator for a lot of it), gave out meds prescribed by the doctors, took patients' vital signs, and gave distance eye exams?

Would any of those things be viewed as unethical by ADCOMS?

Thanks
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a quick question about whether if I should name of 2 team sports I participated or label them as " University Team Sport Activities"
 
I did several medical service trips where we had medical clinics. I mostly took patient histories (needed a translator for a lot of it), gave out meds prescribed by the doctors, took patients' vital signs, and gave distance eye exams?

Would any of those things be viewed as unethical by ADCOMS?

Thanks

I would be hesitant about the bolded part. Perhaps leave the drugs off
 
@Catalystik Thanks so much for taking your time to help applicants like me.
I took two courses where volunteering at organizations were part of the course- can I add those experiences in? I continued one of those volunteer activities after the end of the course- how should I include that? How about field placements/internships that are required part of my major and provide course credits?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.