*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
(I did my best to try to search this thread and others for an answers, so sorry for if this is a duplicate!) I'm first author on a paper for research I did while I was in high school. I list the publication as one of my activities, but should I also include the research itself, since it was done in high school? (For context, I'm applying MD/PhD so I do talk about that research in my Significant Research Experiences essay)

If it's your published research, you can include it--regardless of your age.
 
Would "machine building" be a good title for one of my lifetime hobbies? I've rebuilt cars, computers, fixed motherboards, created custom bicycles, and recently an electric scooter from the ground up. Basically, I DIY anything before I have to pay a professional.
 
I spent a significant amount of time with an Athletic Trainer and observed his work with athletes for hundreds of hours over several years. Most of this time was while he was treating minor tissue/joint injuries, doing prehab/rehab, or writing treatment protocols. I currently have this categorized as clinical observation, but should that category be reserved strictly for physician observation? If so, would it be best listed simply under "other"?
You may include other professional shadowing in a Shadowing space, but I suggest that the hours of Athletic Trainer observation should not exceed that for physicians.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. Would it be bad to list video games as a hobby? afraid of some sort of stigma against them and causing trouble.

2. I created a activity called X, Y, Z organizations ( the names are actually there) and talked about what I did in them. Is is ok to list myself as a contact for them because there is no 1 contact for them.

3. I also created an activity various volunteering with orgs and talked about what I did in them and listed myself as a contact
1) I suggest that listing this hobby would work against you.

2) Yes, but unless these were personal interest clubs, consider adding at least one objective contact in the narrative space, in addition. If they are all service clubs, try to add a contact for the last two with the description of your involvement (with that of the first in the header).

3) Ditto. Add additional contacts in the narrative where possible.
 
Yes I do have other shadowings that can be verified and they're listed first. I was the only person shadowing in the ER at the time and I don't have any other contacts. I didn't bring up the shadowing experience with my advisor or anyone else except for my family and a friend who is a pharmacist. Should I list my friend instead or is that looked down upon?
Better to list yourself, as you'll get the details straight.
 
(I did my best to try to search this thread and others for an answers, so sorry for if this is a duplicate!) I'm first author on a paper for research I did while I was in high school. I list the publication as one of my activities, but should I also include the research itself, since it was done in high school? (For context, I'm applying MD/PhD so I do talk about that research in my Significant Research Experiences essay)
I feel you can legitimately list a HS research experience when you have a strong record of research in college as it shows building interest and momentum, without it being looked down on. You can just as easily leave it as you've already presented it, unless more space for details is desirable to give a fuller picture.
 
What happens if you label something as "Clinical Experience" (working in a Mental Health facility) but AMCAS thinks it's "Non-clinical"?
AMCAS will not make a judgement on this issue. They don't review the descriptions. It is the individual screeners and adcomms who will make up their own minds, depending on your description of the activity.
 
Would "machine building" be a good title for one of my lifetime hobbies? I've rebuilt cars, computers, fixed motherboards, created custom bicycles, and recently an electric scooter from the ground up. Basically, I DIY anything before I have to pay a professional.
Sounds fine to me, as it got my interest. I like your description, too. You could consider adding and Repair to your proposed title, if you like.
 
Sounds fine to me, as it got my interest. I like your description, too. You could consider adding and Repair to your proposed title, if you like.

Thanks, this comment is about the only thing positive so far during this app cycle. I didn't mean that part to be a description, just something I put down for this post! Quite happy you thought so!
 
Basically, I DIY anything before I have to pay a professional.
This description makes me want to add my "hobby" of homeowner, lol. Is there a legitimate way to add this in somewhere? Under one of my most meaningful experiences I have that I ran a business out of my home and built up some facilities for it, but I also spent countless hours essentially gutting a house and prepping it for resale, buying another house, along with basic maintenance like lawn care, replacing water heater coils, etc. I mean, a lot of that is normal adult responsibility, but most applicants don't have that, and most physicians probably hire out the majority of the work.
 
This description makes me want to add my "hobby" of homeowner, lol. Is there a legitimate way to add this in somewhere? Under one of my most meaningful experiences I have that I ran a business out of my home and built up some facilities for it, but I also spent countless hours essentially gutting a house and prepping it for resale, buying another house, along with basic maintenance like lawn care, replacing water heater coils, etc. I mean, a lot of that is normal adult responsibility, but most applicants don't have that, and most physicians probably hire out the majority of the work.
I probably wouldn't name the space Homeowner, but rather something more targeted to the skill set you want to highlight, like maybe Handyman with maybe a few more descriptors to evoke interest.
 
What should the date ranges be for a "various hobbies" EC? Piano, guitar, harmonica, etc. etc. etc., some of which began years ago.
 
Also what do people put down for the total hours for something like a group of various hobbies, should this be estimated to the best of our ability? I've been playing piano daily since I was in 6th grade. If I were to tally the hours spent playing piano, it will be well over a few thousand. Isn't this a red flag for adcoms reviewing my ECs?

Thanks, as always, @Catalystik
 
What should the date ranges be for a "various hobbies" EC? Piano, guitar, harmonica, etc. etc. etc., some of which began years ago.
You can list the true beginning date in childhood, perhaps using Repeated to break dates down into pre-Hs, HS, and college years, +/- postbac. Or you could focus only on dates from the college years and after, which adcomms would focus on more anyway. End date can be no later than Aug 2017.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also what do people put down for the total hours for something like a group of various hobbies, should this be estimated to the best of our ability? I've been playing piano daily since I was in 6th grade. If I were to tally the hours spent playing piano, it will be well over a few thousand. Isn't this a red flag for adcoms reviewing my ECs?

Thanks, as always, @Catalystik
Enter a 999 for Total Hours and say in the narrative that true hours are unknowable, or make a best-faith estimate.
 
Thanks for the feedback, Cat.

Enter a 999 for Total Hours and say in the narrative that true hours are unknowable, or make a best-faith estimate.
Where the time limit is 99,999 hours now, I don't know that putting 999 would be a good policy anymore.

I had a similar conundrum with an EC that I've been involved with for 25 years, including some time doing it professionally. I broke my participation up into chunks of my life, averaged weekly hours and multiplied that by 45 wks/yr (gotta account for breaks), x number years in chunk, added it all together, then subtracted an arbitrary few hundred hours in order to account for any inconsistency. It was still a very large number, but not unreasonable for the number of years they are spread out over.
 
If we have more than one entry per activity, should we list them in chronological order starting with the oldest? Or start with the one that is most significant?
 
If we were interviewed in a video produced by our school, is that something to include in the work/activities section or something to leave for perhaps linking in the secondaries, or not even providing a link for? There's nothing wrong with the video, but I'm just wondering if that would be too personal and if I should just not risk some adcoms randomly not liking me from thinking I'm too cocky from the video or that I'm wearing a lame Tshirt - things that should only factor in during the interview phase of the application process. Would it be safer to just leave things to the imagination (in a sense)?
I don't think this experience adds value to your application. I suggest leaving it off.
 
Hello again @Catalystik and @gonnif or anyone that has had experience with this in the past lol

I have read mixed answers on this so I am hoping someone can cite their experience with this. Sometimes psych classes can be classified as "bio-intensive" and put under the Bio Category and sometimes not. If I classify a class like "Physiological Psychology" under Bio category and if AMCAS decides that it shouldn't be 🙁 , will they send the app back to me to correct it? and consequently, does that cause delay in my application verification? or will they simply switch the category to Social Sciences themselves and move my application along
 
For a summer program where I took classes in the day and shadowed in the evening, how should I classify it? I wrote "other" and in the description, should i explain the hours in the class setting and shadowing?

ex.

other

250 hrs

descrip

i spent 200 hrs in class and 50 hr shadowing
 
Hello again @Catalystik and @gonnif or anyone that has had experience with this in the past lol

I have read mixed answers on this so I am hoping someone can cite their experience with this. Sometimes psych classes can be classified as "bio-intensive" and put under the Bio Category and sometimes not. If I classify a class like "Physiological Psychology" under Bio category and if AMCAS decides that it shouldn't be 🙁 , will they send the app back to me to correct it? and consequently, does that cause delay in my application verification? or will they simply switch the category to Social Sciences themselves and move my application along
they will simply reclassify; it will not cause app to be returned
 
No, I would put a general title "Academic Conferences" or "Neurobiology Conferences" or similar, then list conference title, date, perhaps short blurb on what it was about

Okay so I should list all of the conferences in the experiences section? What date should I put for that?

Additionally, my abstract has been accepted has at two conferences for this year. Should I list those as well?
 
For a summer program where I took classes in the day and shadowed in the evening, how should I classify it? I wrote "other" and in the description, should i explain the hours in the class setting and shadowing?

ex.

other

250 hrs

descrip

i spent 200 hrs in class and 50 hr shadowing
Yes, or just carve out the Shadowing to list separately. Consider leaving the classes off unless they add to your application in some way.
 
Just realized I didn't explain why I had thought of including the video. In the video, I talk about the selective honors program I'm a part of - what I did, what I learned from being a part of the program, and how my experience was unique, alongside a few others. I would have included it at the end of the description paragraph for my program. Not sure if seeing a face (selected by the school) to talk about the activity I'm writing about would be cool... or too personal. Or should I just link the article they wrote about my program? Or would you suggest no articles and no videos in the work/activities? Anywhere else this information can go - perhaps secondaries? Thank you!
I suggest not this article and not this video. Feel free to get other input. That's just my opinion. A written entry about being in the Honors program giving similar info would be fine.
 
I've had many teaching experiences throughout college and as a post-bac student. What is the most appropriate way to list the start and end dates? Would something like my sophomore year -> senior year and then my post-bac year be appropriate? (I was working as a tutor or TA during these times)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I suggest not this article and not this video. Feel free to get other input. That's just my opinion. A written entry about being in the Honors program giving similar info would be fine.
Thank you! so as a general rule of thumb, don't include links or articles in the work/activities description that can simply be written about giving the same information?
 
I've had many teaching experiences throughout college and as a post-bac student. What is the most appropriate way to list the start and end dates? Would something like my sophomore year -> senior year and then my post-bac year be appropriate? (I was working as a tutor or TA during these times)
Either specific dates or description of college year or term are fine to use for time of involvement.
 
I'm a student-athlete as well, and I think it would be a little risky for you to just round those hours like that. If you were a part of a collegiate association (ex NCAA), I would calculate the NCAA mandated hours per week for your sport. For example, if the NCAA limits the hours of activity to 20 hours per week in season and 8 hours per week out of season then I would go through with a calendar and calculate the total hours per year. Afterwards, you can add hours for travel, mandatory meeting, community service, or required team events. I did all of this and calculated my hours to be around 2200 for 4 years and 2 years of summer school.

Another NCAA athlete here, and I was in a sport that by no means followed the mandated 20 hours per week. That may have been what they listed on our hour reports every week, but I averaged 36 hours a week in season with rehab, video, and "optional but required" on field time without the coaching staff present. So I would caution other athletes at limiting their hours to NCAA numbers if their actual experiences vastly exceeded that. My calculation ended up being ~3000 hours for 3 years, for example.

I do have a question about whether or not you need to elaborate on experiences with really high hour totals- if space allows, should I provide a brief explanation of how I calculated this?
i.e. 14 hours a week out of season, 36 in, etc.
 
Last edited:
I was involved in an on-campus organization that trained us to be peer health educators. Some of my duties were facilitating workshops, planning and executing health campaigns and outreaches, helping out at vaccine clinics, and performing fitness assessments for students. Would that count as a clinical volunteering activity?
 
I have been volunteering with two organizations that specify in specific diseases (like the National Hemophilia Foundation) where I helped to plan and execute educational events, be a day camp counselor for children with hemophilia, and advocate for awareness. I have also helped serve as an expert on certain topics for another similar foundation (let's say Sickle Cell Disease Association for example)'s national magazine. For both organizations, I have helped fund-raise, mentor newly diagnosed patients, and be the "poster-child" (for lack of a better word) in their campaigns. Would I put these under medical community service (since they target a population with a certain disease) or non-medical community service? Thanks.
 
Another NCAA athlete here, and I was in a sport that by no means followed the mandated 20 hours per week. That may have been what they listed on our hour reports every week, but I averaged 36 hours a week in season with rehab, video, and "optional but required" on field time without the coaching staff present. So I would caution other athletes at limiting their hours to NCAA numbers if their actual experiences vastly exceeded that. My calculation ended up being ~3000 hours for 3 years, for example.

I do have a question about whether or not you need to elaborate on experiences with really high hour totals- if space allows, should I provide a brief explanation of how I calculated this?
i.e. 14 hours a week out of season, 36 in, etc.
Yes. If space allows.
 
I have two questions that I was wondering if someone would be able to advise me on.

1) Would it be acceptable to list myself as a contact for work as a private tutor? I am no longer in touch with many of my students and am not confident in the reliability of others.

2) A part of my summer internship is being set up to shadow physicians and attending lectures by others. I did not put any information about the internship on my application as it has not yet started, but would it be okay to include some details about it within the description of my previous shadowing activity.

Thanks in advance!
1) You'd only need to list one past student or their parent. If that's not going to work, consider using an advisor who knew of the activity. Last resort is using yourself.

2) Yes.
 
I was involved in an on-campus organization that trained us to be peer health educators. Some of my duties were facilitating workshops, planning and executing health campaigns and outreaches, helping out at vaccine clinics, and performing fitness assessments for students. Would that count as a clinical volunteering activity?
That would be a stretch, considering most of those students you came in contact with were likely healthy.
 
I have been volunteering with two organizations that specify in specific diseases (like the National Hemophilia Foundation) where I helped to plan and execute educational events, be a day camp counselor for children with hemophilia, and advocate for awareness. I have also helped serve as an expert on certain topics for another similar foundation (let's say Sickle Cell Disease Association for example)'s national magazine. For both organizations, I have helped fund-raise, mentor newly diagnosed patients, and be the "poster-child" (for lack of a better word) in their campaigns. Would I put these under medical community service (since they target a population with a certain disease) or non-medical community service? Thanks.
Nonmedical community service.
 
A question regarding how adcoms see the output of the work and activities. I know the advice has been to spell out all abbreviations at least once, but due to the limit of 700 for most activities, I feel it's a waste of space to spell out the super long conference or program names. Instead, I want to spell out the abbreviation in the Experience Name or Organization Name.
For example, in the Organization Name: Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB). Then in the description I only use FASEB instead of spelling the full title out. Will adcoms be able to see the the spelled out full organization name in the same format and same order we input the information (for instance if I use FASEB in the description of a later activity)? Or would you prefer we just spell out everything again in the description regardless?
Additionally, should we spell out common acronyms like DUS, STEM, or MIT?
 
A question regarding how adcoms see the output of the work and activities. I know the advice has been to spell out all abbreviations at least once, but due to the limit of 700 for most activities, I feel it's a waste of space to spell out the super long conference or program names. Instead, I want to spell out the abbreviation in the Experience Name or Organization Name.
For example, in the Organization Name: Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB). Then in the description I only use FASEB instead of spelling the full title out. Will adcoms be able to see the the spelled out full organization name in the same format and same order we input the information (for instance if I use FASEB in the description of a later activity)? Or would you prefer we just spell out everything again in the description regardless?
Additionally, should we spell out common acronyms like DUS, STEM, or MIT?
Schools will reorder activities into their preferred format, so an organization's abbreviation will need to be provided somewhere in each entry, whether in the Organization space or in the narrative.

There are some abbreviations that are universally known, and don't need to be spelled out, but those three aren't among them. Test each one on a parent and see if they know what you mean.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What's the general consensus on having only 2 most meaningful experiences? I have my graduate research and a clinical volunteering. I talk about shadowing and undergraduate research in my personal statement (in addition to my graduate research since it's a major life event haha) so I don't want to repeat anything. My shadowing was really meaningful, so I'm tempted to include it but then it feels overly repetitive. Should I just stick with the two? I don't have any other major activities that were really that meaningful.
 
What's the general consensus on having only 2 most meaningful experiences? I have my graduate research and a clinical volunteering. I talk about shadowing and undergraduate research in my personal statement (in addition to my graduate research since it's a major life event haha) so I don't want to repeat anything. My shadowing was really meaningful, so I'm tempted to include it but then it feels overly repetitive. Should I just stick with the two? I don't have any other major activities that were really that meaningful.
If you've said all you want to say, and have no further comments to make about impact or insights gained, or further anecdotes, it's best not to fluff up your application just to fill space. It's fine to have two MM entries, or even just one.
 
I noticed there's a "conferences attended" tab. I was planning on just mentioning the two conferences I attended to present my research under just the research tab. Should I make an additional entry just for the two conferences attended? Thanks.
 
I noticed there's a "conferences attended" tab. I was planning on just mentioning the two conferences I attended to present my research under just the research tab. Should I make an additional entry just for the two conferences attended? Thanks.
As you mentioned the name +/- location of the conferences elsewhere, there is no reason to repeat the information again.

If the conferences were off campus, the presentations you have made could be moved to their own Posters/Presentations space.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.