*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wrote a bunch of online articles for a medical organization. Which "activity type" should I list this as? It was an unpaid internship, but I wouldn't really consider it non-clinical volunteering
If the point of the articles was to educate, consider a Teaching tag. If you had multiple other components to the experience beyond this, put it under Other, which is how most Internships are classified.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1) If you have various shadowing experiences but shadowed a DO the most , would be okay to list this as one of the meaningful experiences for the AMCAS application?
2) Would it be okay to send a DO letter of rec to allopathic schools? Although its a DO, he can testify to many good things about myself that a letter of rec is meant for. But im not sure if you are supposed to keep DO letters only for DO schools, and MD letters for allopathic schools.
1) Yes. MD schools aren't going to care about the initials after the name of a doc you shadowed.

2) It would be rare for an MD school to ask for any shadowing letter. If you send them one anyway, adcomms will not give it much value, whether it's from an MD or a DO. There is little benefit to knowing you dressed professionally, kept quiet, and asked some good questions. A DO letter would become a negative if it states that you understand DO philosophy, appreciate the value of OMM, and that he recommends you highly as an excellent candidate for osteopathic med schools (which is what DO schools want to read).

If you are applying to one of the few MD schools that requests a shadowing letter. or your premed committee requires it, you could submit a DO letter for that purpose if you are sure none of those latter three statements will be made. Considering you waive your right to see the letter, unless the doc gives you an unsolicited copy, you have no way of knowing if the letter is sufficiently generic.

I'm the club president and team captain of a club sports team at my school. Should I list this as a hobby, extracurricular, or leadership role? I wouldn't consider it an intercollegiate sport.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm the club president and team captain of a club sports team at my school. Should I list this as a hobby, extracurricular, or leadership role? I wouldn't consider it an intercollegiate sport.
If you will dedicate the space to leadership and its dates and hours only, then use a "Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere" space. If you want to include your time as a general member and player of the sport, then use "Extracurricular" but use the title of the space to indicate that it relates both to the sport and to subsequent leadership roles. Alternatively, you can use two spaces, one for EC and one for Leadership, each with its own dates, so long as you don't double count the hours.

I designated a research experience as my most meaningful, but I'm having trouble as to what I should write in the 700 character box vs the "most meaningful" box. I was planning on describing my hypothesis, methods, and results in the 700 character box and then discussing the personal impact of my research in the "most meaningful" box, but I just can't fit my research description in the 700 character box. Do you think that it would be ok to move that research description to the "most meaningful" box, or should I try not to include so much information about my methods/results? Thanks!

I designated a research experience as my most meaningful, but I'm having trouble as to what I should write in the 700 character box vs the "most meaningful" box. I was planning on describing my hypothesis, methods, and results in the 700 character box and then discussing the personal impact of my research in the "most meaningful" box, but I just can't fit my research description in the 700 character box. Do you think that it would be ok to move that research description to the "most meaningful" box, or should I try not to include so much information about my methods/results?
There is a space, not a physical line, between the two areas when it prints out (though there is a note in the margin saying "Most Meaningful Experience Remarks").

When the first area isn't large enough to fit all that must be said, some of the traditional elements of the first part drift into the MM part on occasion. To to my mind this is fine, except, there is that imposed paragraph-like break that must be accommodated when you finish with the first 700 (or fewer) characters, so one must plan breaks in the description carefully so it all seems like a smooth cohesive essay.

It's a good idea to print it out from the Main Menu>>Print>>PDF file to be sure it looks right.

apologies if this was asked earlier but for my extracurricular activities I put dance as I participated in organizations at college, but also have been dancing since a young age. what should i put for hours?

for my extracurricular activities I put dance as I participated in organizations at college, but also have been dancing since a young age. what should i put for hours?
Either make a best-faith estimate or enter a 999 (or 9999) and state in the narrative that the hours are unknowable.

For a near-lifelong hobby, you may list Start date sometime in your childhood and select multiple date ranges (maybe childhood, HS, and college years) to specify Total Hours for each, or you could enter just the college years (which we're more interested in) and describe the back story of earlier involvement in the narrative. Honestly, the hours will be so high as to be meaningless.

There is a space, not a physical line, between the two areas when it prints out (though there is a note in the margin saying "Most Meaningful Experience Remarks").

When the first area isn't large enough to fit all that must be said, some of the traditional elements of the first part drift into the MM part on occasion. To to my mind this is fine, except, there is that imposed paragraph-like break that must be accommodated when you finish with the first 700 (or fewer) characters, so one must plan breaks in the description carefully so it all seems like a smooth cohesive essay.

It's a good idea to print it out from the Main Menu>>Print>>PDF file to be sure it looks right.
Ohh I see, I didn't know that the two areas would be that close. That makes it easier to connect my description. Thanks for the info!!! This was very helpful.

I've done some teaching and mentorship in a few different capacities throughout undergrad which I am listing in my work and activities section. Even though not all of the teaching/mentorship is on similar subjects, would it be okay to lump them all together under one "activity" and then in the explanation give the details with respect to hours/contact info of each?

My thinking is that i want to mark teaching as "most meaningful" because it has really shaped the kind of work I plan to do as a physician. I did not want to do them separately because all of them have contributed to this, and not one experience in particular. However, if I group them all together, then I don't have space in the description section to go into detail with respect to what I did in each position.

I've done some teaching and mentorship in a few different capacities throughout undergrad which I am listing in my work and activities section. Even though not all of the teaching/mentorship is on similar subjects, would it be okay to lump them all together under one "activity" and then in the explanation give the details with respect to hours/contact info of each?

My thinking is that i want to mark teaching as "most meaningful" because it has really shaped the kind of work I plan to do as a physician. I did not want to do them separately because all of them have contributed to this, and not one experience in particular. However, if I group them all together, then I don't have space in the description section to go into detail with respect to what I did in each position.
It's fine to group them and give dates, contact, and subtotals of hours for each in the description.

Members don't see this ad :)
For most meaningful experiences, what do most people put in the "experience description" (700 characters) vs. the "experience summary" (1325 characters)? I can easily fill both them up, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to divide my experience into two sections. Do people just put a small summary of their job or research duties in the description box and then how the experience made them feel or allowed them to grow in the summary box? I just don't want to sound repetitive!

Last edited:
for most meaningful experiences, what do most people put in the "experience description" (700 characters) vs. the "experience summary" (1325 characters)? I can easily fill both them up, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to divide my experience into two sections. Do people just put a small summary of their job or research duties in the description box and then how the experience made them feel or allowed them to grow in the summary box? I just don't want to sound repetitive!
The 700 character space often includes some of : activity description, motivation for involvement, your role, skills gained.

the 1325 character space might be for anecdotes, impact, insights gained, qualities demonstrated that are desirable in a future physician, future direction.

Note that all these items are not relevant to all activities, so pick and choose what will best leave the impression you wish to give.

The 700 character space often includes some of : activity description, motivation for involvement, your role, skills gained.

the 1325 character space might be for anecdotes, impact, insights gained, qualities demonstrated that are desirable in a future physician, future direction.

Note that all these items are not relevant to all activities, so pick and choose what will best leave the impression you wish to give.

Thank you for the quick response!

When listing President's List under my awards section, is it okay to say

"Achieved President’s List (3.9 or higher) each semester from Fall 2008 to Summer 2011"

or do I need to list out each semester?

When listing President's List under my awards section, is it okay to say "Achieved President’s List (3.9 or higher) each semester from Fall 2008 to Summer 2011" or do I need to list out each semester?
The way you've suggested doing it is fine. No need to list each term. For the header date, use the end of the last term, by which time you would have been on the Deans List all those times. The College Registrar can be used as a contact.

Under my shadowing experience, is it okay to list shadowing that I did as a part of a course? I know the course is listed on my transcript, but the course title "Clinical Health Care Experience" does not necessarily imply any shadowing experience. I was thinking I could include with my other shadowing experience like this:

Clinical Experience in Health Care Course
Contact info
100 hours in Fall 2010
I shadowed staff physicians at blank Hospital in the fields of interventional radiology, bariatric surgery, cardiology, and pediatrics.

I feel like I need to list this because other than this, I only have one other (40 hour) shadowing experience. I was also an ED scribe, but I am listing that under employment. Is it okay to list the experience how I have it, or should I just leave it out? Thanks

Under my shadowing experience, is it okay to list shadowing that I did as a part of a course? I know the course is listed on my transcript, but the course title "Clinical Health Care Experience" does not necessarily imply any shadowing experience. I was thinking I could include with my other shadowing experience like this:

Clinical Experience in Health Care Course
Contact info
100 hours in Fall 2010
I shadowed staff physicians at blank Hospital in the fields of interventional radiology, bariatric surgery, cardiology, and pediatrics.

I feel like I need to list this because other than this, I only have one other (40 hour) shadowing experience. I was also an ED scribe, but I am listing that under employment. Is it okay to list the experience how I have it, or should I just leave it out? Thanks
Yes, it's fine to include course-based shadowing. And I agree with grouping it with your other 40 hours. The format you've written is fine, but you might want to include a bit more detail, like was it all hospital-based, how much was clinic, vs hospital, vs in the OR or other procedures. Was it all individual patient-physician observation or did you also attend meetings or patient team-staffing groups. Etc.

Yes, it's fine to include course-based shadowing. And I agree with grouping it with your other 40 hours. The format you've written is fine, but you might want to include a bit more detail, like was it all hospital-based, how much was clinic, vs hospital, vs in the OR or other procedures. Was it all individual patient-physician observation or did you also attend meetings or patient team-staffing groups. Etc.

Thank you for the feedback. I have a few other questions.

1) How detailed should I be in the description of my scribe experience since that is well known?

2) I also worked as a lab tech in a hospital. I was going to make that it's own entry, but should I combine my scribe positions and lab tech positions into one entry since they are both medical paid employment?

3) I went on two different foreign summer mission trips. Should I list them under the same entry or separate them?

4) I am currently a middle school teacher. Before getting my position, I was a substitute teacher. I could list them both under one entry as a school board employee, but my teaching experience is one of my most meaningful experiences. Should I separate the substitute job or leave it in the same entry as my permanent position?

5) Should I list my teaching experiences under a teaching entry or under a paid employment - non-medical entry?

6) I have received two awards as an educator. Should I list these within the description of my teaching job, or make a separate awards entry for them?

7) I volunteered as a research aid for a professor separating blood plasma and serum. I only did this for a total of 12 hours and did not have any other part in the research. Is this even worth mentioning? Unfortunately, this is my only "research" experience.

8) Is it worth mentioning the two clubs I was a member of if I never held any leadership positions?

9) I have been volunteering with my church youth group two nights a week for the last 5 years. I lead small group discussions and often teach the material. I don't have anything to list as a leadership experience, so should I try to list this as a leadership entry or just leave it as a volunteer entry. Technically, I'm just a member of a group that leads the youth.

I'm sorry this is so many questions! I somehow just found this forum last night and wanted to take advantage of it : )

Thank you for the feedback. I have a few other questions.

1) How detailed should I be in the description of my scribe experience since that is well known?

2) I also worked as a lab tech in a hospital. I was going to make that it's own entry, but should I combine my scribe positions and lab tech positions into one entry since they are both medical paid employment?

3) I went on two different foreign summer mission trips. Should I list them under the same entry or separate them?

4) I am currently a middle school teacher. Before getting my position, I was a substitute teacher. I could list them both under one entry as a school board employee, but my teaching experience is one of my most meaningful experiences. Should I separate the substitute job or leave it in the same entry as my permanent position?

5) Should I list my teaching experiences under a teaching entry or under a paid employment - non-medical entry?

6) I have received two awards as an educator. Should I list these within the description of my teaching job, or make a separate awards entry for them?

7) I volunteered as a research aid for a professor separating blood plasma and serum. I only did this for a total of 12 hours and did not have any other part in the research. Is this even worth mentioning? Unfortunately, this is my only "research" experience.

8) Is it worth mentioning the two clubs I was a member of if I never held any leadership positions?

9) I have been volunteering with my church youth group two nights a week for the last 5 years. I lead small group discussions and often teach the material. I don't have anything to list as a leadership experience, so should I try to list this as a leadership entry or just leave it as a volunteer entry. Technically, I'm just a member of a group that leads the youth.

I'm sorry this is so many questions! I somehow just found this forum last night and wanted to take advantage of it : )
Thank you for numbering your questions:

1) I'd mention type of docs, clinical setting, and make clear that it wasn't "distance transcription", where you were never in the room with a patient. If you were allowed to interact with the patient, imply/state that.

2) They are too different. Keep them separate. All lab techs don't interact with patients, for one thing, and if you did, you need space to detail that.

3) Group them.

4) I think they'd fit together nicely.

5) Employment, but with the word "Teacher" (and maybe the level, if it was the same for all the teaching, ie, middle school +/or the subject) in the title.

6) If you have the space, keep them together. If not, use a separate Awards/Honors slot.

7) Honestly, I don't think mentioning this will enhance your application.

8) Unless the type of club reveals an interesting facet of your personality that you want to have us know (sport, special interest, something weird and quirky) you can let them go.

9) Actually, if you don't have anything else listed under Teaching, this could be it. That is, unless you have nothing else under nonmedical volunteering, then that takes precedence.

This is not "peer" leadership, so I suggest you not use the Leadership tag. Leadership would be suitable if you were the chair of a committee, oriented new teaching staff, got elected to an office and organized others in some way, etc.

Thank you for numbering your questions:

1) I'd mention type of docs, clinical setting, and make clear that it wasn't "distance transcription", where you were never in the room with a patient. If you were allowed to interact with the patient, imply/state that.

2) They are too different. Keep them separate. All lab techs don't interact with patients, for one thing, and if you did, you need space to detail that.

3) Group them.

4) I think they'd fit together nicely.

5) Employment, but with the word "Teacher" (and maybe the level, if it was the same for all the teaching, ie, middle school +/or the subject) in the title.

6) If you have the space, keep them together. If not, use a separate Awards/Honors slot.

7) Honestly, I don't think mentioning this will enhance your application.

8) Unless the type of club reveals an interesting facet of your personality that you want to have us know (sport, special interest, something weird and quirky) you can let them go.

9) Actually, if you don't have anything else listed under Teaching, this could be it. That is, unless you have nothing else under nonmedical volunteering, then that takes precedence.

This is not "peer" leadership, so I suggest you not use the Leadership tag. Leadership would be suitable if you were the chair of a committee, oriented new teaching staff, got elected to an office and organized others in some way, etc.

Thank you, again, for the feedback. Just a few clarification questions.

In reference to number 2, I did not have patient contact as a lab tech unless a patient personally brought in a specimen. I was under the assumption that this should be listed as medical/clinical employment since it took place in a hospital. However, since I had no patient contact, should the lab tech position be listed as non-medical employment?

In your response to number 6, when you say to keep them together if I have space, do you mean to include the awards within the description of my job unless I run out of room in my description, in which case I would make a new award entry?

In reference to number 9, the only other thing I have for non-medical volunteering are my two foreign mission trips. Should I still keep this experience volunteering with the youth group under non-medical volunteering or move it to teaching?

1) In reference to number 2, I did not have patient contact as a lab tech unless a patient personally brought in a specimen. I was under the assumption that this should be listed as medical/clinical employment since it took place in a hospital. However, since I had no patient contact, should the lab tech position be listed as non-medical employment?

2) In your response to number 6, when you say to keep them together if I have space, do you mean to include the awards within the description of my job unless I run out of room in my description, in which case I would make a new award entry?

3) In reference to number 9, the only other thing I have for non-medical volunteering are my two foreign mission trips. Should I still keep this experience volunteering with the youth group under non-medical volunteering or move it to teaching?
1) Yes, for AMCAS purposes the Lab Tech position would be nonclinical, so listing them in two spaces is the best choice.

2) Yes, my first choice would be to have the educational awards in the same space as the work for which you earned them, to keep them in context.

3) I assume the abroad missions were of short-term duration, in which case, keep the youth group under non-medical volunteering, as it's more important to have that activity type well covered. And anyone reading your application will see that teaching is well covered, even if you never use that tag.

I've been doing some additional reading and it seems there is some controversy over whether or not to include mission trips on the application. I spent a month in India volunteering every day with the Missionaries of Charity, and a month in Ghana working with natives to build mud homes in a remote village. Neither were medical in nature, which is why I'm including them in the not medical volunteer category. Is it true that these types of experiences are looked down upon?

I also feel I need to include them because it shows how I spent two of my summers.

I've been doing some additional reading and it seems there is some controversy over whether or not to include mission trips on the application. I spent a month in India volunteering every day with the Missionaries of Charity, and a month in Ghana working with natives to build mud homes in a remote village. Neither were medical in nature, which is why I'm including them in the not medical volunteer category. Is it true that these types of experiences are looked down upon?

I also feel I need to include them because it shows how I spent two of my summers.
As someone who has engaged in the same type of activity, personally, I don't view it so negatively. Other adcomms on SDN feel differently. As a middle ground, let's just say that international volunteering no longer earns particular brownie points and that one is expected to have mature insights into one's reason for spending the necessary cash to participate: adventure, new culture, reconnecting with roots, polishing language skills, personal growth, etc., rather than thinking one's selfless endeavors will have a huge impact on the world community.

See example page 2, #58.

It allows me to choose August 2017 as an end date. If I choose that does that imply that it is continuing? I saw your suggestions, but I was just wondering if this would work as well. Thank you!!

It allows me to choose August 2017 as an end date. If I choose that does that imply that it is continuing? I saw your suggestions, but I was just wondering if this would work as well.
The example post you cite refers to a shadowing list. You haven't given me enough context to guess what it is you want to communicate.

-Do you intend to continue shadowing through the entire application year?
-If so, will your plan change if you get an acceptance?
-How many hours have you already completed?
-Are further hours already scheduled?

1) I think that your fashion interests would fit well under Artistic Endeavors. Good idea.

2) The two clubs with leadership roles can be put together. If the two clubs are currently under Leadership (and encompassing the dates and hours of leadership only), you shouldn't add the third club (which may not be much of a boost anyway, unless it led to volunteer opportunities). If you are tagging the space as Extracurricular, then you can put all three together.

3) Don't overdo the grouping, as some adcomms get annoyed when every space is jam packed with activities (their feeling is that each should only have one, which is obviously ridiculous, IMO). Stick to the high quality stuff that you feel actually adds to your candidacy.

I have another question about this. For my artistic endeavor should I list myself as the contact?

Is it okay to list awards (such as Dean's List) for semesters considered "high school" by AMCAS? I was attending a University, but it is technically at the high school level.

I'm worried that I don't have 15 experiences. I have about 10 quality experiences that I want to put on my application. The problem is that two of these experiences are shadowing and I'm not sure if I should follow the advice others have given and group these together to leave 9 slots. I also have a medical volunteering experience that I only participated in twice for a total of about 10-15 hours, is that even worth putting down when my other experiences are all at least 75-100 hours plus?

Is it okay to list awards (such as Dean's List) for semesters considered "high school" by AMCAS? I was attending a University, but it is technically at the high school level.
If you were enrolled full time at a college and have a college transcript with the grades you earned, then you were a college student, even if you earned dual credit toward HS graduation. So, yes, you could list being on the deans list in the scenario I described, if it applies to you.

1) I'm worried that I don't have 15 experiences. I have about 10 quality experiences that I want to put on my application.

2) The problem is that two of these experiences are shadowing and I'm not sure if I should follow the advice others have given and group these together to leave 9 slots.

3) I also have a medical volunteering experience that I only participated in twice for a total of about 10-15 hours, is that even worth putting down when my other experiences are all at least 75-100 hours plus?
1) The average experiences listed is 9-10, so don't feel compelled to fill more spaces with fluff if it isn't going to advance your candidacy.

2) Using two slots for Shadowing is reasonable, if you need the space, or if one to two of the experiences were more impactful and you want to separate them out to comment on them specifically, regarding impact and insights, for example.

3) I wouldn't list it unless you can group it with another similar activity and have the space to add the header specifics into the narrative space.

1) The average experiences listed is 9-10, so don't feel compelled to fill more spaces with fluff if it isn't going to advance your candidacy.

2) Using two slots for Shadowing is reasonable, if you need the space, or if one to two of the experiences were more impactful and you want to separate them out to comment on them specifically, regarding impact and insights, for example.

3) I wouldn't list it unless you can group it with another similar activity and have the space to add the header specifics into the narrative space.

Thank you! One more question, is it okay to only have two meaningful experiences or do you benefit by using all 3?

One more question, is it okay to only have two meaningful experiences or do you benefit by using all 3?
You are only required to select one. Two is fine. Forcing oneself to use three and to fill the extra space with fluff, drivel, or unnecessary verbiage when one has no more that really needs to be said isn't to one's benefit.

I am looking over the hours in my work/activities section and I have estimated most of them. Is this common. For example, for a lot of my clubs I was in them for all 4 year of school. Depending on how active I was in them, I have estimated anything between 2-5 hours a week. multiplied by 30 weeks (sometimes less) and then multiplied by 4 to get the total hours. This gives me a lot of hours overall, and I'm just wondering if this type of estimation is normal/ok. The DO app calculates by itself when you give the number of weeks, so I assumed this would be a good way to estimate hours.

I am looking over the hours in my work/activities section and I have estimated most of them. Is this common. For example, for a lot of my clubs I was in them for all 4 year of school. Depending on how active I was in them, I have estimated anything between 2-5 hours a week. multiplied by 30 weeks (sometimes less) and then multiplied by 4 to get the total hours. This gives me a lot of hours overall, and I'm just wondering if this type of estimation is normal/ok. The DO app calculates by itself when you give the number of weeks, so I assumed this would be a good way to estimate hours.
Seems a bit high if your school is like mine. Have you subtracted the school break weeks from the total weeks of each semester? And did you attend clubs the weeks of midterms and finals? Maybe those should be taken out as well.

Would my paragraphs from my meaningful experience and normal work/activity be grouped together or be adjacent to one another when seen by medical schools and adcomms? I ask because my "normal paragraph" details the what and when (ex. I started an organization), while my meaningful emphasizes reflection (ex. does not emphasize that I started something) and if they aren't together, my meaningful would not illustrate important points.

Thanks a bunch! :)

Last edited:
Would my paragraphs from my meaningful experience and normal work/activity be grouped together or be adjacent to one another when seen by medical schools and adcomms? I ask because my "normal paragraph" details the what and when (ex. I started an organization), while my meaningful emphasizes reflection (ex. does not emphasize that I started something) and if they aren't together, my meaningful would not illustrate important points.
Yes, the 700 character spot and the 1325 character spot stay right next to each other, divided by a blank space (like a paragraph break created by tapping Enter twice). The beginning of the MM area is denoted only by a comment in the margin, so it looks like one long essay.

Hey guys, so I have a question. If I do a research for a lab class, it's different from the undergraduate research course, so it's not listed in my transcript. So should I list it as 1 work/activity?
* That class is like instead of coming to a usual lab day, I'm gonna do an independent research about a topic that is relevant to that lab's experiments --> get credit for that lab as any other usual lab*

Couple questions:

1) Possibly neurotic, but how important is "experience name"? For instance, is it ok to just label a shadowing experience in Physician Shadowing exactly that..."Physician Shadowing"?
2) My lab PI is also who I did most of my clinical shadowing with but I'm not sure what to put for his title in the shadowing section. Professor? I have it listed as PI on the research entry.

If I do a research for a lab class, it's different from the undergraduate research course, so it's not listed in my transcript. So should I list it as 1 work/activity?
* That class is like instead of coming to a usual lab day, I'm gonna do an independent research about a topic that is relevant to that lab's experiments --> get credit for that lab as any other usual lab*
I'm not completely clear on your question, so explain further if I'm not getting at what you want to know.

If you do original, hypothesis-driven research, whether it's for a class or not, you may list it in its own space under Research on the AMCAS application. If, OTOH, you mean you're looking through background papers/previous related research publications relevant to a research class, that is not the type of research you'd enter into a Research space.

1) Possibly neurotic, but how important is "experience name"? For instance, is it ok to just label a shadowing experience in Physician Shadowing exactly that..."Physician Shadowing"?
2) My lab PI is also who I did most of my clinical shadowing with but I'm not sure what to put for his title in the shadowing section. Professor? I have it listed as PI on the research entry.
1) Well you can keep it simple as you suggest, or elect to give more information with the title you pick, like, [Name of Specialty] Hospital and Clinic Observation or Multiple Physician Shadowing or Primary Care Observership or Office-based and Surgical Shadowing, etc.

2) When you are shadowing the PI as a physician, it's probably better to use his physician credentials, like MD or Attending Physician. For the research space, using Professor of [XXX] or Principal Investigator is appropriate.

1) Well you can keep it simple as you suggest, or elect to give more information with the title you pick, like, [Name of Specialty] Hospital and Clinic Observation or Multiple Physician Shadowing or Primary Care Observership or Office-based and Surgical Shadowing, etc.

2) When you are shadowing the PI as a physician, it's probably better to use his physician credentials, like MD or Attending Physician. For the research space, using Professor of [XXX] or Principal Investigator is appropriate.

Great, thanks!

If you don't mind answering another question, can you provide some clarity on the best way to cite publications? I have four papers I need to list, three are middle-author and one I'm 2nd author. Is there a common way people annotate their position in the author list without including every authors name? The journal name should also be included, yes? 700 characters is making this a bit difficult.

If you don't mind answering another question, can you provide some clarity on the best way to cite publications? I have four papers I need to list, three are middle-author and one I'm 2nd author. Is there a common way people annotate their position in the author list without including every authors name? The journal name should also be included, yes? 700 characters is making this a bit difficult.
You can google formal citation formats and use one, but if you're running out of space, it's fine to truncate significantly (even the title). Something like Third author, Cytochrome P450 Activity in Over-Salinated Zebra Fish, Nature, Jun2015, PMID#XXXXX would work, so long as there's enough info for an adcomm to find the manuscript.

There's an even more condensed format demonstrated in post #1024, page 21: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...hread-2016-2017.1189311/page-21#post-17831058

3 questions

1. I had an abstract selected for presentation at a national conference in october, how do I list it as an activity?
2. I presented a poster at a campus-wide poster presentation event-how do list that?
3. for both the abstract presentation and poster presentation I am submitting manuscripts to a journal for publication, could I indicate at the end of those activity slots that "I will be submitting a manuscript to journal X during the month of July for publication"?

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.