*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. I had an abstract selected for presentation at a national conference in october, how do I list it as an activity?
2. I presented a poster at a campus-wide poster presentation event-how do list that?
3. for both the abstract presentation and poster presentation I am submitting manuscripts to a journal for publication, could I indicate at the end of those activity slots that "I will be submitting a manuscript to journal X during the month of July for publication"?
1) Choose Posters/Presentations for a tag. Use the date of acceptance in the date slot. Contact can be the PI. Total Hours are zero. In the narrative, cite it: Author list or "Second Author," title of poster, say it was accepted for poster or podium presentation at XXX Conference on 10/16 and you plan to be present (or not). [Didn't we talk about this a month or so ago?]

2) Mention it in the affiliated Research space, unless it is the same/similar data to the accepted poster in #1, in which case you can state in the Poster/Presentations space referred to above, that "The same data was presented as a poster during my Campus Research Day on 3/16."

3) Even if you had already submitted a manuscript, it is not worth mentioning, but some do anyway. As yours is not yet in the mail, I'd refrain from mentioning it on the Primary. I think it's better to communicate a manuscript's completed submission or acceptance on a Secondary (where the prompt is appropriate) or in a future update letter (where permitted).

Members don't see this ad.

1) Choose Posters/Presentations for a tag. Use the date of acceptance in the date slot. Contact can be the PI. Total Hours are zero. In the narrative, cite it: Author list or "Second Author," title of poster, say it was accepted for poster or podium presentation at XXX Conference on 10/16 and you plan to be present (or not). [Didn't we talk about this a month or so ago?]

2) Mention it in the affiliated Research space, unless it is the same/similar data to the accepted poster in #1, in which case you can state in the Poster/Presentations space referred to above, that "The same data was presented as a poster during my Campus Research Day on 3/16."

3) Even if you had already submitted a manuscript, it is not worth mentioning, but some do anyway. As yours is not yet in the mail, I'd refrain from mentioning it on the Primary. I think it's better to communicate a manuscript's completed submission or acceptance on a Secondary (where the prompt is appropriate) or in a future update letter (where permitted).

Thank you for your help!
1) for the abstract-would 10/16 be the date of the conference or date of acceptance?

2) the second poster is a completely different data, so I will leave it in the research space

1) for the abstract-would 10/16 be the date of the conference or date of acceptance?

2) the second poster is a completely different data, so I will leave it in the research space
1) In your case, since the conference hasn't happened yet, put the date of acceptance in the header, as the program won't let you save the future date of the planned presentation. Put a note that it was the date of acceptance in the narrative. Since you can't enter the conference date in the header, instead, you'd put it in the description and I believe you said it was this upcoming October. If I'm not being clear, feel free to ask further.

2) Sounds good.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!
So I submitted my AMCAS about 2 weeks ago. I did not read through my work/activities descriptions carefully (I know, so dumb!). As it turns out, I realized I made some small minor errors when typing. I did use almost the entire character allowance for most entries. Does these get read that closely, and if so, do you think it would hurt my chances based on this factor alone?

and words to live by: always type everything out in word, copy, and paste!

So I submitted my AMCAS about 2 weeks ago. I did not read through my work/activities descriptions carefully (I know, so dumb!). As it turns out, I realized I made some small minor errors when typing. I did use almost the entire character allowance for most entries. Does these get read that closely, and if so, do you think it would hurt my chances based on this factor alone?

and words to live by: always type everything out in word, copy, and paste!
Some adcomms read them carefully and some skim; personally, I highlight statements I want to delve into further. My school prints each application and all the Primary essays I see are littered with random symbols/letters. Honestly, a few typos are not going to be that distracting.

I think the stray symbols I'm seeing may be due to copy/pasting from other programs. I'd bet typing directly into the space is best. Or using Notepad, or something else with minimal formatting.

Hi, I was just wondering... if I've had a long experience of research (for all three years of college from sophomore to senior year) and also participated in the Amgen Scholars Program the summer between my junior and senior year, should I list the Amgen experience as a new item, or clump it along with the list of other things I'd like to mention in my research experience? Thanks in advance!

if I've had a long experience of research (for all three years of college from sophomore to senior year) and also participated in the Amgen Scholars Program the summer between my junior and senior year, should I list the Amgen experience as a new item, or clump it along with the list of other things I'd like to mention in my research experience?
I would list it separately.

If I group an activity, let's say shadowing, but include a narrative paragraph (not pertaining to contact information), how can I include the contact information for one of the doctor's in the paragraph? I'll included the first doc's info in the AMCAS as appropriate, but it seems kind of off if I have a paragraph and then below it "Ima Fixyou#2, M.D.: (000) 000-0000" What are your thoughts?

Side note: don't have any more room to split this activity up.

If I group an activity, let's say shadowing, but include a narrative paragraph (not pertaining to contact information), how can I include the contact information for one of the doctor's in the paragraph? I'll included the first doc's info in the AMCAS as appropriate, but it seems kind of off if I have a paragraph and then below it "Ima Fixyou#2, M.D.: (000) 000-0000" What are your thoughts?

Side note: don't have any more room to split this activity up.
I'd put the info about doc #2 at the top of the space, below your add-ins about doc #1, with your reflections about one or both at the bottom. Example:

[Dates for doc #1 are in the header, with contact info and location/organization. Grand Total of hours for both docs are in the Total Hours slot.]

1) 15 hours, J Famleedok, MD, Family Practice. This was mostly clinic time, but I got to observe a vaginal delivery, too. I cut the cord!

2) Spring 2012: 15 hours, John Kutoocure, DO, Surgeon, Meridian, MS. [email protected] Observed a complete bowel resection and a pancreatic cancer resection. Some clinic hours included.

Then: reflections, impact, additional comments.

I'd put the info about doc #2 at the top of the space, below your add-ins about doc #1, with your reflections about one or both at the bottom. Example:

[Dates for doc #1 are in the header, with contact info and location/organization. Grand Total of hours for both docs are in the Total Hours slot.]

1) 15 hours, J Famleedok, MD, Family Practice. This was mostly clinic time, but I got to observe a vaginal delivery, too. I cut the cord!

2) Spring 2012: 15 hours, John Kutoocure, DO, Surgeon, Meridian, MS. [email protected] Observed a complete bowel resection and a pancreatic cancer resection. Some clinic hours included.

Then: reflections, impact, additional comments.

Thank you!! :) I'm assuming this template can be applied for any experiences?

If I include shadowing Dr. Famleedok's co-workers (which was over 10 hours) would it look like this?

15 hours, J Famleedok, MD, Family Practice. This was mostly clinic time, but I got to observe a vaginal delivery, too. I cut the cord!

10 hours, Dr. Famleedok's coworkers: phaemülee dacktur and ob/gyn.

Spring 2012: 15 hours, John Kutoocure, DO, Surgeon, Meridian, MS. [email protected] Observed a complete bowel resection and a pancreatic cancer resection. Some clinic hours included.

Last edited:
Thank you!! :)

If I include shadowing Dr. Famleedok's co-workers (which was over 10 hours) would it look like this?

15 hours, J Famleedok, MD, Family Practice. This was mostly clinic time, but I got to observe a vaginal delivery, too. I cut the cord!

10 hours, Dr. Famleedok's coworkers: phaemülee dacktur and ob/gyn.

Spring 2012: 15 hours, John Kutoocure, DO, Surgeon, Meridian, MS. [email protected] Observed a complete bowel resection and a pancreatic cancer resection. Some clinic hours included.
Consider this:

*15 hours, J Famleedok, MD, Family Practice. This was mostly clinic time, but I got to observe a vaginal delivery, too. I cut the cord!

*10 hours, at the same practice as above, I observed another family doctor and an OBGYN during clinic hours (ie, you needn't necessarily name them).

*Also, in Spring 2012: 15 hours, John Kutoocure, DO, Surgeon, Meridian, MS. [email protected] Observed a complete bowel resection and a pancreatic cancer resection. Some clinic hours included.

Members don't see this ad :)
Consider this:

*15 hours, J Famleedok, MD, Family Practice. This was mostly clinic time, but I got to observe a vaginal delivery, too. I cut the cord!

*10 hours, at the same practice as above, I observed another family doctor and an OBGYN during clinic hours (ie, you needn't necessarily name them).

*Also, in Spring 2012: 15 hours, John Kutoocure, DO, Surgeon, Meridian, MS. [email protected] Observed a complete bowel resection and a pancreatic cancer resection. Some clinic hours included.

This is fantastic, thank you! Loved the docs's names by the way. :D

1) In your case, since the conference hasn't happened yet, put the date of acceptance in the header, as the program won't let you save the future date of the planned presentation. Put a note that it was the date of acceptance in the narrative. Since you can't enter the conference date in the header, instead, you'd put it in the description and I believe you said it was this upcoming October. If I'm not being clear, feel free to ask further.

2) Sounds good.[/QUOTE

After the narrative with the date of acceptance could I write a sentence regarding the findings of the presentation? (I.e. This presentation will highlight how....)

2) Sounds good.

After the narrative could I write a sentence or two regarding the findings? (I.e. This presentation will highlight how...)

Also, for the experience name-should I write the name of the conference?

thanks again for all your help!

Last edited:
1) After the narrative could I write a sentence or two regarding the findings? (I.e. This presentation will highlight how...)

2) Also, for the experience name-should I write the name of the conference?
1) Yes.

2) Conference name would go under Organization. Activity name might be something like, Abstract Accepted: Clown Fish Transgender Capabilities, or some such.

I had a question about paid employment:

I was wondering whether it would be possible to include clinical and nonclinical paid employments together to save spot

Also, I was not sure if TA and RA in clinical physiology lab would be counted as clinical employment!
The TA was to mark clinical and anatomy class exams , would this be counted as clinical employment?

I also was wondering if we have experience in too 5 different research labs, how can we briefly describe them in the description section. Can we pick one or two or we have to describe them all?

1) I had a question about paid employment:

I was wondering whether it would be possible to include clinical and nonclinical paid employments together to save spot

2) Also, I was not sure if TA and RA in clinical physiology lab would be counted as clinical employment!
The TA was to mark clinical and anatomy class exams , would this be counted as clinical employment?
1) If you put two jobs that qualify for different categories together, you'd have to use the Other tag, and maybe name it something like, Additional Jobs, Clinical and Nonclinical. If it would imperil your application to have this clinical employment overlooked, then grouping it in this manner is a bad idea.

2) No. No.

Is it bad if I didn't list my hospital volunteering (3 years total, 2 different locations) as my most significant activity and didn't talk about it in my personal statement? I talked about my research, shadowing, and other community service (building a science camp for underprivileged, being a mentor for children)... I just realized that I could have made a fatal error in my app...

I also was wondering if we have experience in too 5 different research labs, how can we briefly describe them in the description section. Can we pick one or two or we have to describe them all?
Assuming you are not aiming to appeal to highly-selective research-oriented med schools, you could group them, with the most recent listed in the header and described first. After that, say In addition I have experience in 4 other Research labs over x years (if all at same institution, say so):
Then for each,
*dates, hours, succinct description of what you did and for what project (if you have space). You can omit or include Contact info, name of PI, if space is too tight.

If any project was not particularly remarkable, you can decide to omit it completely.

Is it bad if I didn't list my hospital volunteering (3 years total, 2 different locations) as my most significant activity and didn't talk about it in my personal statement? I talked about my research, shadowing, and other community service (building a science camp for underprivileged, being a mentor for children)... I just realized that I could have made a fatal error in my app...
No, this is not a fatal mistake. For MM entries, you are expected to pick activities you had the most passion for, gained insights from, and had a lot to say about.

As to not including it in the PS, if it wasn't part of your decision to go into medicine, it didn't belong there.

Some applicants don't list any clinical activity as MM and they still do just fine.

Assuming you are not aiming to appeal to highly-selective research-oriented med schools, you could group them, with the most recent listed in the header and described first. After that, say In addition I have experience in 4 other Research labs over x years (if all at same institution, say so):
Then for each,
*dates, hours, succinct description of what you did and for what project (if you have space). You can omit or include Contact info, name of PI, if space is too tight.

If any project was not particularly remarkable, you can decide to omit it completely.

Thanks so much for the response. Is it fine if I use the repeated option as a way to include the dates and time about each research? so I have more space to talk about what I did in each research, currently I have 4 different labs experience and I was able to write about them only about 1-2 sentences! would that be fine?

if I were to submit a manuscript to a journal for review either tomorrow/wednesday would I be able to list it as a "publication" with the date being the date I submitted it? I will be sure to indicate in the narrative the author list, title, and journal which it be under review
(i.e. Submitted manuscript on "title", authors for review to "journal name", and write a sentence or two describing the goals/findings of the paper)

Thanks so much for the response. Is it fine if I use the repeated option as a way to include the dates and time about each research? so I have more space to talk about what I did in each research, currently I have 4 different labs experience and I was able to write about them only about 1-2 sentences! would that be fine?
The repeated function is meant to be used when all the header info applies to each date span.

So, is that ok, if we just mention the year we participated at each research labs since all research labs were different although they belonged to the same university hospital but the fields were different! In this case, should I consider that they dont belong to the same header info which I have called Research assistant

The repeated function is meant to be used when all the header info applies to each date span.

So, is that ok, if we just mention the year we participated at each research labs since all research labs were different although they belonged to the same university hospital but the fields were different! In this case, should I consider that they dont belong to the same header info which I have called Research assistant

I have also encountered the same problem being that I have shadowed different physicians in the same university hospital but the physicians were in different field and different timing, would I be able to use the repeated function in this case?

I have also encountered the same problem being that I have shadowed different physicians in the same university hospital but the physicians were in different field and different timing, would I be able to use the repeated function in this case?

I really want to be able to describe my experience and explain my motivation behind each shadowing oppurtunity rather than listing the name of the physicians and the date I shadowed them!

You mean like junior year, sophomore year, etc or 2013, 2014? That's fine.

By header information, I mean the Contact, too, not just the location. Could one person vouch for all the lab experiences? It wouldn't matter if the field of research varied.

Again, would the contact be the same for all of them? In that case, using Repeated might work.

I really want to be able to describe my experience and explain my motivation behind each shadowing oppurtunity rather than listing the name of the physicians and the date I shadowed them!
Then you might just list 1-2 of them specifically, put a date span encompassing all of them in the header, and say in the narrative, "Also shadowed for xx more hours an OBGYN, family doc, and general surgeon at the same facility for 25 hours."

Hello Catalystik.

This summer I am participating in a public health internship funded by the CDC. My intern site is most aptly described as an advocacy center for families that have kids with disabilities. In my role I have worked to install home units as part of a home care system. I have also attended lobbying sessions at the state capital and I have been to some school workshops.

All interns are required to present a poster at the end of the summer. So in addition to the aforementioned activities I have also been conducting research. However my research is focused around addressing a specific public health issue and I have been doing literature reviews rather than conducting my own experiment.

Can I still classify this activity as research or is another tag needed? Also even though the internship amount is 300+ hours not all of it is in research. So is it possible to categorize this one event in different segments corresponding to different areas?

Thanks for your time!

Hello Catalystik.

This summer I am participating in a public health internship funded by the CDC. My intern site is most aptly described as an advocacy center for families that have kids with disabilities. In my role I have worked to install home units as part of a home care system. I have also attended lobbying sessions at the state capital and I have been to some school workshops.

All interns are required to present a poster at the end of the summer. So in addition to the aforementioned activities I have also been conducting research. However my research is focused around addressing a specific public health issue and I have been doing literature reviews rather than conducting my own experiment.

Can I still classify this activity as research or is another tag needed? Also even though the internship amount is 300+ hours not all of it is in research. So is it possible to categorize this one event in different segments corresponding to different areas?
This sounds like a terrific opportunity.

Most would list an Internship like this under Other, since it is so multifaceted. You do have the option of breaking out some of the components and listing them separately in their own space with a more descriptive tag, provided the hours involved are strong enough for each to stand on its own.

From what you're describing (and correct me if I'm wrong), it doesn't sound the the "research" component refers to original, hypothesis-based scholarly investigation that could potentially result in a publication, but rather more like a project akin to a mini-thesis, topic review, or term paper. If so, then it isn't an activity suited to a Research space on AMCAS, and would best be left under the Other category.

Can one person attest to your involvement with each, like an overall Research Coordinator affiliated with the hospital?

Unfortunately not, since each lab has their own PI and there is no overall coordinator for the hospital

In this case, what is your advice? is that ok if I just use one of the PI as the contact person and in the description I describe about each research in 1 or 2 sentences.

is that ok if I do the same for the shadowing experience?

This sounds like a terrific opportunity.

Most would list an Internship like this under Other, since it is so multifaceted. You do have the option of breaking out some of the components and listing them separately in their own space with a more descriptive tag, provided the hours involved are strong enough for each to stand on its own.

From what you're describing (and correct me if I'm wrong), it doesn't sound the the "research" component refers to original, hypothesis-based scholarly investigation that could potentially result in a publication, but rather more like a project akin to a mini-thesis, topic review, or term paper. If so, then it isn't an activity suited to a Research space on AMCAS, and would best be left under the Other category.

Thanks I am so grateful to be able to participate in this.

Yes your description of my "research" is more accurate. So does that mean that medical schools will not look at this experience as research then?:( I do have about 100 hours of research with a professor from my university who is in the school of human communication that resulted in a poster that was presented at a conference. The research utilized a public health model approach though and while it had some quantitate aspects it was mostly qualitative. Is this still legitimate?

Also I am planning on completing one more summer internship next summer that will be more research focused. I have two main concerns regarding this.
1. My top program is only 8 weeks and results in creating an abstract for the research project. But the project is funded and done in one of the major academic hospitals in the country. Also from what the description includes it seems that students only do research that contributes to the project and there is a presentation at the end. So while the project is not finished at the end of the summer students present on the research they completed over the course of the summer. Would this also be appropriate to designate with the research tag? Or do you think I should pursue a different opportunity.

2. I am also applying next summer and since I plan to apply at the beginning of June I will be completing some sort of research internship after I have already submitted my application. I know that I can indicate a future activity but will this experience not help to flesh out the research portion of my app and benefit my app in general. Would it be a good strategic move to apply in the middle of summer in July after completing around half of the internship, or are other ways to ensure that the internship will still help my application.

My ultimate goal is to obtain and MD/MPH and work in reducing health disparities through clinical work, some translational clinical research ideally analyzing patient outcomes, and some work in health policy. Thats why I have no spent copious amounts of time in a lab. I know that research is an integral part of a successful application to higher tier schools, which I am hoping to be able to apply to because of the other opportunities besides practicing clinical medicine that are available. I have read about and observed some physicians having careers similar to this. Do you think that my general career goals are to grandiose and not realistic because they are not feasible for most physicians?

I apologize for the lengthy text I just wanted to provide adequate context for my questions You always impart very candid and insightful advice and I want to make sure I am approaching things in the right way. I have bolded my questions to make it easier to identify them. Thank you so much for your time I really appreciate it!

I have a question about travel awards

For me, in order to reduce the space usage, I included the travel awards with the description of the conference abstracts. So, I named the award and the conference and included the heading of the poster presentation.
But again, I used one of the research PI as the contact person although the two research abstracts were from different labs!

Does this heading seem reasonable " Travel Awards for Abstracts Submitted for Conferences"

Would that be fine?

1) In this case, what is your advice? is that ok if I just use one of the PI as the contact person and in the description I describe about each research in 1 or 2 sentences.

2) is that ok if I do the same for the shadowing experience?
1) No, I don't think it's a good idea. I think it's important to have a contact who can attest to each research activity, to legitimize it. Alternatively, if you don't feel the research will strengthen your application, you could consider omitting some of it completely. This is my opinion, though. You are free to decide on a different approach.

2) You can do it for shadowing though.

I have a question about travel awards

For me, in order to reduce the space usage, I included the travel awards with the description of the conference abstracts. So, I named the award and the conference and included the heading of the poster presentation.
But again, I used one of the research PI as the contact person although the two research abstracts were from different labs!

Does this heading seem reasonable " Travel Awards for Abstracts Submitted for Conferences"

Would that be fine?
I would include the second PI with contact info in the narrative. Including the travel awards where you describe works fine.

I'd have assumed you used a Posters/Presentations slot to list the abstracts. Did you instead use Honors/Awards?

Are the abstracts merely submitted, or have they been accepted?

1) Yes your description of my "research" is more accurate. So does that mean that medical schools will not look at this experience as research then?:(

2) I do have about 100 hours of research with a professor from my university who is in the school of human communication that resulted in a poster that was presented at a conference. The research utilized a public health model approach though and while it had some quantitate aspects it was mostly qualitative. Is this still legitimate?
1) Correct.

2) With so little information I cannot judge. Decide for yourself based on:
*1) Did SOMEONE start with a hypothesis?
*2) Did someone decide on methods to test it?
*3) Did you collect data?
*4) Did you analyze it?
*5) Did someone come to a conclusion?

I would include the second PI with contact info in the narrative. Including the travel awards where you describe works fine.

I'd have assumed you used a Posters/Presentations slot to list the abstracts. Did you instead use Honors/Awards?

Are the abstracts merely submitted, or have they been accepted?

Thanks for the response. The abstracts were accepted and presented as a poster in the conference

Also I am planning on completing one more summer internship next summer that will be more research focused. I have two main concerns regarding this.
1. My top program is only 8 weeks and results in creating an abstract for the research project. But the project is funded and done in one of the major academic hospitals in the country. Also from what the description includes it seems that students only do research that contributes to the project and there is a presentation at the end. So while the project is not finished at the end of the summer students present on the research they completed over the course of the summer. Would this also be appropriate to designate with the research tag? Or do you think I should pursue a different opportunity.

2. I am also applying next summer and since I plan to apply at the beginning of June I will be completing some sort of research internship after I have already submitted my application. I know that I can indicate a future activity but will this experience not help to flesh out the research portion of my app and benefit my app in general. Would it be a good strategic move to apply in the middle of summer in July after completing around half of the internship, or are other ways to ensure that the internship will still help my application.

3. My ultimate goal is to obtain and MD/MPH and work in reducing health disparities through clinical work, some translational clinical research ideally analyzing patient outcomes, and some work in health policy. Thats why I have no spent copious amounts of time in a lab. I know that research is an integral part of a successful application to higher tier schools, which I am hoping to be able to apply to because of the other opportunities besides practicing clinical medicine that are available. I have read about and observed some physicians having careers similar to this. Do you think that my general career goals are to grandiose and not realistic because they are not feasible for most physicians?

I apologize for the lengthy text I just wanted to provide adequate context for my questions You always impart very candid and insightful advice and I want to make sure I am approaching things in the right way. I have bolded my questions to make it easier to identify them. Thank you so much for your time I really appreciate it!
1) Some projects take years. You need not complete your portion in order to have been involved in "research."

2) As long as you've completed Day #1 of the research internship, you may include it on the application. The problem is, you wouldn't have much to say about it. I don't think you need to wait until it's half over to have it help your application. Perhaps you could compromise by applying when you are a third of the way into it?

3) I think that research funding will be more difficult to obtain for those without a PhD after their name. Further discussion of the issue of MD/MPH career goals lies outside the scope of this thread. You might consider Searching or posting in SDN's Physician Scientist forum for more perspective.

Does this heading seem reasonable " Travel Awards for Abstracts Submitted for Conferences"?
The abstracts were accepted and presented as a poster in the conference
As the already-completed poster presentations are more important to highlight than the travel awards, I suggest using a Posters/Presentations tag. I suggest the name of the space should be more like, [General Topic] Poster Presentations and Related Travel Awards.

1) Some projects take years. You need not complete your portion in order to have been involved in "research."

2) As long as you've completed Day #1 of the research internship, you may include it on the application. The problem is, you wouldn't have much to say about it. I don't think you need to wait until it's half over to have it help your application. Perhaps you could compromise by applying when you are a third of the way into it?

3) I think that research funding will be more difficult to obtain for those without a PhD after their name. Further discussion of the issue of MD/MPH career goals lies outside the scope of this thread. You might consider Searching or posting in SDN's Physician Scientist forum for more perspective.

1. That is reassuring, thank you!

2. What you suggested does seem like a great compromise! The program starts at the beginning of June so if I applied at the end of June would I still be considered "early" enough to help my applications little, or at least not be so late that I have to deal with the negatives associated with having an application being "late"?

3. Ah thank you for the clarification I will look into that elsewhere on SDN.

Status
Not open for further replies.