*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used most of the narrative section for my paid summer position and described briefly about the research centre in one sentence( since it is a very innovative centre) , but if I don't have space to name the university of the research abroad, is it fine if I just name the country of the research abroad?
If you just name the university, would it come up on a google search? If so, that would be better. Unless you have entered the full name of the Centre and that can be found on-line, in which case giving only the country name is fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't need to, but if anything particularly interesting happened, or you gained insights, you might comment. Be sure the specialty is evident somewhere.

how does this look?

Experience Name: Observation of XX, DO, Family Practitioner
Organization: X Medical Group

how does this look?

Experience Name: Observation of XX, DO, Family Practitioner
Organization: X Medical Group
If you are using the doc as a contact, the name of the doc and his title will be required in the header, so no need to be repetitive and put it in the name you give the activity, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are using the doc as a contact, the name of the doc and his title will be required in the header, so no need to be repetitive and put it in the name you give the activity, too.

so for experience name can I write: "Observation of Family Practitioner"
Organization name-X Medical Group
Contact name: Dr. X

do I need to indicate the doctor is a DO anywhere? or is it irrelevant

and also a general question, when referring to PIs and MDs as contacts for activities-I write "Dr. X" as their first name and then "X" as last name right?

If you just name the university, would it come up on a google search? If so, that would be better. Unless you have entered the full name of the Centre and that can be found on-line, in which case giving only the country name is fine.

In that case I have to name the university and not the country , thanks so much

so for experience name can I write: "Observation of Family Practitioner"
Organization name-X Medical Group
Contact name: Dr. X

1) do I need to indicate the doctor is a DO anywhere? or is it irrelevant

2) and also a general question, when referring to PIs and MDs as contacts for activities-I write "Dr. X" as their first name and then "X" as last name right?
1) The degree letters don't matter, but you can enter for the title "Attending Physician" if you wish.

2) If you will use Principle Investigator as the contact's title, then entering Dr. Han for the first name and Solo for the last name works fine.
If, OTOH, you plan to use MD or DO as the contact's title, you would not enter Dr as part of the first name, as be redundant to say Dr Leia Organa, DO.

Here is another example:

One potential format for listing physician shadowing on an AMCAS application (whichever doc you list first, you'd put the pertinent data in the header and omit it from the narrative box. Total Hours box would be all the hours added together):

**4/2015-5/2015: 15 hours, Jake Famleedok, MD, Family Practice. [email protected] This was mostly clinic time, but I got to observe a vaginal delivery, too. I cut the cord!

**3/14-5/2014: 20 hours, Ling Ula, MD, Pulmonology, Podunk, AL, Health Clinic, 555-555-5556

** 12/2013-3/2014: 40 hours, Al Abowtgolf, DO, Sports Medicine, Podunk, AL, Health Clinic, 555-555-5555

**Spring 2012: 15 hours, John Kutoocure, DO, Surgeon, Meridian, MS. [email protected] Observed a complete bowel resection and a pancreatic cancer resection. Some clinic hours included.

Your comment is really helpful , thank you so much. I was wondering if all the shadowing has taken place in one city and province, we can say at the beginning that all has taken place at CitynameX, ProvinceX. ?

Hello, I have another question.
I participated in a program that allowed undergraduates to create a course on any topic of their choosing. We then spent the first two quarters learning how to construct a class, pedagogical organization, and classroom environment. The last quarter was actual instruction, and the course was officially offered to all undergraduates for one unit pass/no pass. All of this was done with a faculty mentor. It counted officially as course credit, so it shows up on the transcript, but I felt that the program was important to me because I began enjoying teaching because of it. Can I include it as a topic in work/activities, or will that seem like a repeat from the transcript and seen in a negative light as though I am trying to buff up my work/activities section? The course only shows up as a generic honors credit and doesn't specify what the program entails.
Thanks in advance!

I participated in a program that allowed undergraduates to create a course on any topic of their choosing. We then spent the first two quarters learning how to construct a class, pedagogical organization, and classroom environment. The last quarter was actual instruction, and the course was officially offered to all undergraduates for one unit pass/no pass. All of this was done with a faculty mentor. It counted officially as course credit, so it shows up on the transcript, but I felt that the program was important to me because I began enjoying teaching because of it. Can I include it as a topic in work/activities, or will that seem like a repeat from the transcript and seen in a negative light as though I am trying to buff up my work/activities section? The course only shows up as a generic honors credit and doesn't specify what the program entails.
It's fine to include among your Work/Activities, even though it's also listed on your transcript. Folks who got research credit include it routinely. If the experience made an impression on you, helped you grow, and led to insights, it has the potential to benefit your application. It won't be looked on as "fluff."

It's fine to include among your Work/Activities, even though it's also listed on your transcript. Folks who got research credit include it routinely. If the experience made an impression on you, helped you grow, and led to insights, it has the potential to benefit your application. It won't be looked on as "fluff."

Thanks so much.

Dear @Catalystik , I have to use the word fMRI in my research description, and I was wondering if writing it as functional MRI ( fMRI) would be descriptive enough since I read in the posts that we should not use medical terms that are not descriptive

Dear @Catalystik , I have to use the word fMRI in my research description, and I was wondering if writing it as functional MRI ( fMRI) would be descriptive enough since I read in the posts that we should not use medical terms that are not descriptive
Yes, it's enough of a description, without also spelling out MRI.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a quick question about the "Were you required to contribute to the overall family income (as opposed to working primarily for your own discretionary spending money)?"

If I helped pay for my portion of the cell phone bill, part of my car bill would that be a yes or no to this question?
It would be a, "No."

I had a question about RA and hours we have to enter if we have more than one research position,

If I have entered the total hours and i am using one of the contact PI to verify the 3 RA positions, is that fine if I dont write down the number of hours for each position since I dont have any space left?

Another question regarding this:

My first position was a volunteer researcher

If one of the 3 positions was my directed studies research course, but I still continued with the research after the course was finished , how should I clear that in the description section. the directed studies research course was structured so that students independently found PI and work under their supervision to do research, there was no class or anything, just reading scientific literature and collected data from patients.

My other RA position was my master thesis project , but I was hired as RA

Last edited:
I was wondering if a name of an organization is Special Olympics (SO), when I refer to it again in the narrative section , would it be fine if I introduced the name with abbreviation in the organization name section and then used the abbreviation throughout the description?

I had a question about RA and hours we have to enter if we have more than one research position,

1) If I have entered the total hours and i am using one of the contact PI to verify the 3 RA positions, is that fine if I dont write down the number of hours for each position since I dont have any space left?

Another question regarding this:

2) My first position was a volunteer researcher

If one of the 3 positions was my directed studies research course, but I still continued with the research after the course was finished , how should I clear that in the description section. the directed studies research course was structured so that students independently found PI and work under their supervision to do research, there was no class or anything, just reading scientific literature and collected data from patients.

My other RA position was my master thesis project , but I was hired as RA
1) Though desirable, subtotaling the hours isn't required.

2) Clarifying the types of positions isn't necessary for research, whether it is volunteer, curricular, or paid. If you had the space, though, I'd precede each research description with [#of hours]-[paid, volunteer, or class], but you don't, so no need to worry.

2) Clarifying the types of positions isn't necessary for research, whether it is volunteer, curricular, or paid. If you had the space, though, I'd precede each research description with [#of hours]-[paid, volunteer, or class], but you don't, so no need to worry.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your.

Great, so in this case, it would be fine if I dont add subtotal hours of my Miscellaneous Collegiate Jobs?

I have researched about how to choose our most meaningful experience, so far I have chosen Medical First Responder and a university novice team athlete experience, but I read somewhere that :

"Ideally, two of your “most meaningful” experiences should be related to medicine, volunteerism/ community service, science, research, clinical experiences, or teaching. It would seem suspect, for example, if your three “most meaningful” entries were about extracurricular hobbies or activities that had nothing to do with endeavors that medical school admissions committees value most"

Dear @Catalystik , do you think I should remove my university athlete experience as a novice team member?

I was trying to pick the third one and I have no idea whether it would be best to choose a community service where I was a coach or my research lab experience or shadowing experience as the third most meaningful one!

Any comments would be much appreciated

I have researched about how to choose our most meaningful experience, so far I have chosen Medical First Responder and a university novice team athlete experience, but I read somewhere that :

"Ideally, two of your “most meaningful” experiences should be related to medicine, volunteerism/ community service, science, research, clinical experiences, or teaching. It would seem suspect, for example, if your three “most meaningful” entries were about extracurricular hobbies or activities that had nothing to do with endeavors that medical school admissions committees value most"

Dear @Catalystik , do you think I should remove my university athlete experience as a novice team member?

I was trying to pick the third one and I have no idea whether it would be best to choose a community service where I was a coach or my research lab experience or shadowing experience as the third most meaningful one!

I disagree with the guideline you cited. MM activities should be picked because of their impact on you, not because you think it's what adcomms want to see.

There are many traits among successful athletes that translate to desirable characteristics in a doc.

I disagree with the guideline you cited. MM activities should be picked because of their impact on you, not because you think it's what adcomms want to see.

There are many traits among successful athletes that translate to desirable characteristics in a doc.

I totally agree with you since my athletic experience was what transformed me

Dear @Catalystik ,

I was trying to pick the third 'most meaningful"

I have no idea whether it would be best to choose a community service where I was a coach or my research lab experience or shadowing experience as the third most meaningful one!

I was trying to pick the third 'most meaningful"

I have no idea whether it would be best to choose a community service where I was a coach or my research lab experience or shadowing experience as the third most meaningful one!

I want you to pick, but perhaps having one sport related MM is enough.

Quick question, sorry if it has been ask, but:

Does "Paid Employment" trump all? For example, if I was paid to work in a lab or tutor, would this be considered "Paid Employment" or "Research"/"Tutoring" under the Experience Type section???

Quick question, sorry if it has been ask, but:

Does "Paid Employment" trump all? For example, if I was paid to work in a lab or tutor, would this be considered "Paid Employment" or "Research"/"Tutoring" under the Experience Type section???
You could tag it as either and be correct, but I feel it's better to use Research or Teaching, at least for one instance in each category, before using Employment. Both are experiences you'd want to highlight, as both are specifically relevant to desirable characteristics in a future med student and doctor, so they "trump" Employment.

So I submitted AMCAS but I already saw an error. One of my activities says something like January- February but it was supposed to be January-May. What can I do about this? Mention in secondaries??

So I submitted AMCAS but I already saw an error. One of my activities says something like January- February but it was supposed to be January-May. What can I do about this? Mention in secondaries??
Are the number of hours accurate? Is there something about the activity that makes getting that number of hours unbelievable?

Are the number of hours accurate? Is there something about the activity that makes getting that number of hours unbelievable?
The hours are accurate. It was a TA position and it would be weird to have it listed for only one month instead of for the entire semester.

The hours are accurate. It was a TA position and it would be weird to have it listed for only one month instead of for the entire semester.
Then yes, use the opportunities provided in Secondaries to correct the entry. Otherwise, consider emailing an update to schools that permit it.

I've been working as a research scientist for the local university for the last 2 years. My job almost exclusively research related; with performing experiments and optimizing our current protocols taking over 90% of my time. I also am in charge of managing our mouse colony and other compliance related duties. My question is, should I report this as Employment or Research/Lab for my applications to MD/PhD programs.

I had plenty of undergraduate experience researching before receiving this position, so I wouldn't be redesignating all of my Research/Lab experience, but am not sure if it would carry the same impact. My gut feeling is to say "Of course it's Paid Employment" but it might be worthwhile to designate it as Lab/Research.

I've been working as a research scientist for the local university for the last 2 years. My job almost exclusively research related; with performing experiments and optimizing our current protocols taking over 90% of my time. I also am in charge of managing our mouse colony and other compliance related duties. My question is, should I report this as Employment or Research/Lab for my applications to MD/PhD programs.

I had plenty of undergraduate experience researching before receiving this position, so I wouldn't be redesignating all of my Research/Lab experience, but am not sure if it would carry the same impact. My gut feeling is to say "Of course it's Paid Employment" but it might be worthwhile to designate it as Lab/Research.
As you have a multitude of other Research designated spaces, I suggest going with Employment for this one. That someone is willing to pay you money for performed tasks reflects well, and a job may be felt to hold expectations of a higher level of responsibility and productivity. Be sure to include Research, Research Scientist, or Researcher in the name given the activity.

As you have a multitude of other Research designated spaces, I suggest going with Employment for this one. That someone is willing to pay you money for performed tasks reflects well, and a job may be felt to hold expectations of a higher level of responsibility and productivity. Be sure to include Research, Research Scientist, or Researcher in the name given the activity.

Thanks for the tip! I wasn't sure how closely adcoms would read into the Research Scientist titling for Employment.

I am a non-traditional applicant and volunteered with my university's Habitat for Humanity chapter for a number of years. I do not have the contact information for any of the officers and they've all moved on. However, my brother was on the leadership board during my time there. Would it hurt to list him as the contact person and say he was one of the leadership members?

Much appreciated for clarification/thoughts!

I am a non-traditional applicant and volunteered with my university's Habitat for Humanity chapter for a number of years. I do not have the contact information for any of the officers and they've all moved on. However, my brother was on the leadership board during my time there. Would it hurt to list him as the contact person and say he was one of the leadership members?

Much appreciated for clarification/thoughts!
Since your brother held a leadership position during the time you were connected to H for H, using him as a Contact is fine. Be sure to use his official title.

I am having trouble deciding how to include my poster presentations and publications on AMCAS. I have been a part of 11 poster presentations (4 as first author) at 4 different conferences. I am a first author in one paper and a co-author in 3 other papers. Do I have to list the titles of everything or can I say something like "I'll be happy to talk about these presentations/papers if I get a chance to meet you." I mentioned the journals everything is published in, but I worry that I won't have space for the titles.
Any poster, pub, or presentation that took place at a campus venue should be mentioned with the affiliated Research entry. Any that occurred at a regional/national location or journal deserves its own spot, if you have space. If any of those data sharings came out of the same project, they could be mentioned together in one spot tagged under the highest prestige format:

National Pub > Regional Pub > Abstract in a national journal > National Poster/Presentation > Regional Poster/Presentation > abstract in a conference brochure > campus pub > campus poster/presentation.

Any format for citation is fine, including abbreviated versions when you are short on space. Long author lists can be shortened by stating your place on the list, the PIs name, and et al. PMID# can substitute for much of a citation if necessary.

If the data set from the campus presentation was later presented in poster format at a regional conference and then finally published in a national journal, you would cite is under Publication and then mention after the citation in the same space, "Data also presented orally at DDDD College Research Symposium x/x/xx, and again as a poster that won second place at the YYY Conference in Tucson z/zz/zz date."

If you were not the presenter for your poster, but your name is on the author list, you can include it, but give credit to the presenter, as research is a team sport, and it's important to give credit where it is due. If you presented, it's fine to say so.

There is little value in using a Conferences Attended slot, if you have already mentioned the name of the conference in a Posters/Presentation or Publications entry.

A manuscript in preparation or submitted doesn't belong on the application, but if you feel compelled to mention it regardless, add it at the end of a research description on the affiliated project.

If you wrote the grant that got funding or navigated an IRB process, mention it.

Use the MM space for impact, insights, how you were inspired, future directions. If some of the research description spills over into this space, you won't be the only one who's used it that way. Just be sure that at the 700 character mark you end a paragraph so it will flow smoothly into the MM space (which is distinguished by a blank line, like a paragraph break).

Feel free to ask more questions.

Dear @Catalystik , could you elaborate on this a bit.
After you type it out, you might consider looking at the print view, so you're sure it looks as you intended. Go to Main Menu>Print>PDF view to review it.

Sometimes the program cuts you off at 655 characters instead of 700. So read it carefully.

Hello Catalystik,

Is it too trite to have a hobbies section as one of my activities and include things like fantasy (online) basketball, recreational sports and weight lifting, movie watching, and reading.

Those are the things that I spend my free time doing. But they are fairly common and not extremely interesting. I'm leaning towards not including them in my future application. However I have heard that it is a good idea to include hobbies so adcoms can get a feel for who you are lie in a non academic setting. What are your thoughts?

Is it too trite to have a hobbies section as one of my activities and include things like fantasy (online) basketball, recreational sports and weight lifting, movie watching, and reading.

Those are the things that I spend my free time doing. But they are fairly common and not extremely interesting. I'm leaning towards not including them in my future application. However I have heard that it is a good idea to include hobbies so adcoms can get a feel for who you are lie in a non academic setting. What are your thoughts?
Include it, but maybe add some added personal details like favorite movie and fiction genres, and the sports (with their settings) that you engage in.

Status
Not open for further replies.