*~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2019-2020 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How should we describe specific awards that are not self-explanatory? I don't want to sound like an egomaniac, but I also don't want to discount this recognition. Should I just write the description that is provided along with the award itself?

Members don't see this ad.

How should we describe specific awards that are not self-explanatory? I don't want to sound like an egomaniac, but I also don't want to discount this recognition. Should I just write the description that is provided along with the award itself?
Paraphrase and shorten it (or you have to cite it). The important parts would be those describing how selective the recognition is.

"Phi Beta Kappa-Top 3% highest GPA who also took 2 years of foreign language and 30 humanities credits-nominated by faculty. 2019"
"James Research Stipend-$5000, only 7 of 75 applicants designated after application that describes a project in detail. 2018"
"Volunteer of the Year-only one chosen from all each year's students. 2018."
"Egomaniac Tablet of Honor-top 1% of self-absorbed premed students, as nominated by department faculty. 2017"

Paraphrase and shorten it (or you have to cite it). The important parts would be those describing how selective the recognition is.

"Phi Beta Kappa-Top 3% highest GPA who also took 2 years of foreign language and 30 humanities credits-nominated by faculty. 2019"
"James Research Stipend-$5000, only 7 of 75 applicants designated after application that describes a project in detail. 2018"
"Volunteer of the Year-only one chosen from all each year's students. 2018."
"Egomaniac Tablet of Honor-top 1% of self-absorbed premed students, as nominated by department faculty. 2017"

The egomaniac honor - that's exactly what I was getting at! Lol OK so if I write that the award recognizes one student with the "potential for excellent professional performance", which is essentially in the description of the award, is that fine? Also should we be including the amount of $$?

**Another random question: if I am grouping together different activities that I am going to be continuing throughout the app cycle, am I able to use the repeated tab for the timeline April 2017 - May 2019, May 2019 - August 2020, even though they are different activities? Or should I just do one timeline from April 2017 - August 2020 and say in the narrative that I plan to continue? Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad :)
1) The egomaniac honor - that's exactly what I was getting at! Lol OK
2) so if I write that the award recognizes one student with the "potential for excellent professional performance", which is essentially in the description of the award, is that fine?

3) Also should we be including the amount of $$?

4) Another random question: if I am grouping together different activities that I am going to be continuing throughout the app cycle, am I able to use the repeated tab for the timeline April 2017 - May 2019, May 2019 - August 2020, even though they are different activities? Or should I just do one timeline from April 2017 - August 2020 and say in the narrative that I plan to continue? Thanks a bunch!
1) That was a test to see if you'd read my whole post. You passed!

2) If you leave it in quotes, that's fine.

3) It depends on if I'd be impressed: $100 No; $3000 Yes.

4) I'm having trouble visualizing a shared space where each item began and will continue for identical periods. Tell me more so I believe it.

If one held a leadership position in an artistic organization, and was not in this position for the entirety of their involvement in this artistic endeavor, would it be better to categorize this as "Artistic Endeavor" or "Leadership"? I have no activities categorized explicitly as leadership and would like to have one, though because the label is "Leadership - not listed elsewhere" it seems like they've recognized that leadership is implied in many different activities and it may not matter if you have one or not. Thoughts?
If you list it as Leadership, your inclusive dates should not include the period of general membership or those hours, though you could include that in the narrative backstory. Eg "After a year of membership, I was elected . . .".

If you call it Artistic Endeavor, you can list the entire datespan and all the hours of involvement and include the leadership role in the title of the space to highlight it.

Some schools are keen identifying those with future leadership potential (per their mission statement). If that's where you are applying, go for the leadership-only listing.

1) That was a test to see if you'd read my whole post. You passed!

2) If you leave it in quotes, that's fine.

3) It depends on if I'd be impressed: $100 No; $3000 Yes.

4) I'm having trouble visualizing a shared space where each item began and will continue for identical periods. Tell me more so I believe it.

2) OK I'm going to get neurotic here and just ask - can I only put quotes around that part of the description? I'm not citing the exact words, but I can quote that one line (potential for excellent professional performance ). And how should I cite it?

3) Interesting

4) I'm listing two different community service activities (ended up taking one out and using it for MM). One only went from April-May 2018 (not 2017, my bad), the other from Nov 2018-present. I'm only continuing the second one. I want to put them together cause they are short-term. I guess I should just do the whole time period and then describe in the narrative the actual dates for each. What do you think?

In my most recent W/A draft I removed my category of "Military Leadership" and combined the info into my 'most meaningful' description of military. I did this so I could separate my posters from my research in to their own entry in order to actually be able to reflect on the research a bit as opposed to just a poster title. Does that seem like a good move? Like, will ADCOMs be able to assume that there is leadership experience involved in the military without it explicitly being its own topic?

2) OK I'm going to get neurotic here and just ask - can I only put quotes around that part of the description? I'm not citing the exact words, but I can quote that one line (potential for excellent professional performance ). And how should I cite it?

3) Interesting

4) I'm listing two different community service activities (ended up taking one out and using it for MM). One only went from April-May 2018 (not 2017, my bad), the other from Nov 2018-present. I'm only continuing the second one. I want to put them together cause they are short-term. I guess I should just do the whole time period and then describe in the narrative the actual dates for each. What do you think?
2) If it's not an exact quote, you don't have to cite it, which would be like, "per the organization's mission statement" or somesuch. For a partial phrase like your brief example, the quotes would be sufficient.

4) Yes. Do that.

Reactions: 1 user
In my most recent W/A draft I removed my category of "Military Leadership" and combined the info into my 'most meaningful' description of military. I did this so I could separate my posters from my research in to their own entry in order to actually be able to reflect on the research a bit as opposed to just a poster title.
1) Does that seem like a good move?
2) Like, will ADCOMs be able to assume that there is leadership experience involved in the military without it explicitly being its own topic?
1) What dedicated Leadership space remains?

2) They won't have to "assume it" since you're overtly stating it as part of the MM entry. But yes, it's known that military service generally comes with leadership opportunities.

1) What dedicated Leadership space remains?

2) They won't have to "assume it" since you're overtly stating it as part of the MM entry. But yes, it's known that military service generally comes with leadership opportunities.
1) I won't have any "leadership not mentioned elsewhere" but I also have Lab manager, premed club president/officer, tutoring and TA. I guess I just felt those were all *soft* leadership.

2) The way it is worded is

"As a leader in the military, I ensured my soldiers’ success not only through timeliness and completion of duties but also by ensuring their wellbeing and readiness for the duties of the day. I have learned to put the mission and my peers above myself and to seek the best information to help myself and those around me succeed."

So that section of the MM is kind of generic but there are just so many instances and too few characters to be specific. Although I do reference being tear gassed earlier on, so that is fun.

I'm confused about categories. I worked as high school teacher; this could be "non clinical employment", but also "teaching"? I started a mentorship program; this could be "leadership" or "non clinical volunteering". I am an accomplished professional musician; this could be "artistic endeavors" or "non clinical employment", or even "awards/recognition".
Applicants often have activities that qualify for more than one of the provided tags. It's desirable to use as many categories as you reasonably can since you usually don't know what individual schools might hone in on/specifically look for. Most important (obligatory) is to have a decent number of hours of clinical exposure. Second is community service. Once those are covered, you can branch out into other categories. A dedicated Leadership space is more important if you're applying to Top 20 Schools. I'd pick Employment for your teaching job if you have any TA, tutor, coaching, mentoring, other teaching to put into a Teaching space. If you've already used an Employment space, put your musical interests into an Artistic Endeavors category and be sure to mention your work was paid.

1) I won't have any "leadership not mentioned elsewhere" but I also have Lab manager, premed club president/officer, tutoring and TA. I guess I just felt those were all *soft* leadership.

2) The way it is worded is

"As a leader in the military, I ensured my soldiers’ success not only through timeliness and completion of duties but also by ensuring their wellbeing and readiness for the duties of the day. I have learned to put the mission and my peers above myself and to seek the best information to help myself and those around me succeed."

So that section of the MM is kind of generic but there are just so many instances and too few characters to be specific. Although I do reference being tear gassed earlier on, so that is fun.
1) I'd generally like a candidate for T20s have one dedicated Leadership space, but if you are including the leadership role in the title of some of the spaces, I expect they won't be missed. For the same reason, you need to be sure your research activities are embraced.

2) Can't miss that.

1) I'd generally like a candidate for T20s have one dedicated Leadership space, but if you are including the leadership role in the title of some of the spaces, I expect they won't be missed. For the same reason, you need to be sure your research activities are embraced.

2) Can't miss that.
I will be applying predominantly T20, but so long as I put something like that in the title it should be good?

And yah, I felt like having 2 research spaces would be better than just the one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Posting the same event in multiple categories is not advised correct?
Not unless you split out the hours and specify the component-specific dates. So for the Mentorship program, you could theoretically divide out the leadership-only into a Leadership space (with those hours and its own description) and use another space if you did face-to-face mentoring yourself, like Community Service/Volunteer, with the specific related hours. If hours for either component are weak, it's best to leave them together.

1)For a award I received, is it enough to just describe what the award is or am I expected to elaborate on what it means to me (though I think this award is a manifestation of my passions highlighted in my PS so it could become repetitive.
1a) since I will now have room for an award section, should I include stuff like honor society or cum laude honors? if so, what should I say about these or just mention a GPA cutoff?

Last edited:
1) I have a nonclinical volunteer activity that I have been involved with for a few years w/ a leadership position in the club. Since I have a lot to say about the activity, is it fine for me to separate the volunteering and the leadership experiences into two sections? If so, which section should I use to write about my most meaningful bit?

2) I am conflicted between 2 activities to choose as my final most meaningful activity:
Would it be okay to choose a nonclinical volunteer activity (100hrs), that I really enjoyed and can talk a lot about, but is similar to another nonclinical volunteer activity that I am also choosing as most meaningful (teaching kids about health)? Or would it be better to choose my gap year job as an MA in a pediatric office (~1.3k hrs)? Although I can talk a lot about my gap year job as well, the nonclinical volunteer activity was more enjoyable to me. I also used an example from my gap year job in my PS, so would it be weird to not make it my most meaningful?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi, since I've been reading that you advise a dedicated leadership space for T20 applicants, would it be appropriate for me to use a "Leadership Not Listed Elsewhere" space for a job in which I worked 2 years, but was only promoted to a leadership position for 1 year? I was originally going to list the job as "Nonclinical Employment", but I already have another activity that fits that description.

Alternatively, I would list the job in the Employment space but use the work "Leader ****" in the title.

Thanks!

1)For a teaching award I received, is it enough to just describe what the award is or am I expected to elaborate on what it means to me (though I think this award is a manifestation of my passions highlighted in my PS so it could become repetitive.
1a) since I will now have room for an award section, should I include stuff like honor society or cum laude honors? if so, what should I say about these or just mention a GPA cutoff?
1) Unless you designated the award as a MM, or have leftover characters you'd LIKE to use, there's no need for an impact statement. Just describe what the criteria for the award are and how selective it is.

1a) Your GPA speaks for itself. Including a cum laude designation doesn't add anything to your application (and you'd only list it if your diploma has already been awarded, not if you think you'll qualify).

The only honor society that all adcomms feel adds cachet is Phi Beta Kappa, which is also a GPA indicator, and doesn't really add anything important to your application.

Go ahead and list them and Deans List if you have absolutely nothing else to fill up a space that will actually have an impact on your candidacy. Personally, in your case, I'd rather see the space dedicated to Hobbies (as you mentioned previously) or an expanded discussion of the Teaching Award, if you have enough new to say about it not already mentioned in the PS. (That award actually is impressive.)

1) I have a nonclinical volunteer activity that I have been involved with for a few years w/ a leadership position in the club. Since I have a lot to say about the activity, is it fine for me to separate the volunteering and the leadership experiences into two sections? If so, which section should I use to write about my most meaningful bit?

2a) I am conflicted between 2 activities to choose as my final most meaningful activity:
Would it be okay to choose a nonclinical volunteer activity (100hrs), that I really enjoyed and can talk a lot about, but is similar to another nonclinical volunteer activity that I am also choosing as most meaningful (teaching kids about health)? Or would it be better to choose my gap year job as an MA in a pediatric office (~1.3k hrs)? Although I can talk a lot about my gap year job as well, the nonclinical volunteer activity was more enjoyable to me.

2b) I also used an example from my gap year job in my PS, so would it be weird to not make it my most meaningful?
1) Yes, but not unless you split out the hours and specify the component-specific dates in each space. Don't double count the hours. So for the Club activities, you could theoretically divide out the leadership-only into a Leadership space (with those hours and its own description) and use another space for the face-to-face volunteering, like Community Service/Volunteer, with its specific related hours. If hours for either component are weak, it's best to leave them together. You will have to pick the component that was actually most meaningful to you so you can expand on it with the extra 1325 characters. If you already have a community service activity, decide if you want to diversify and use the Leadership as MM, unless you don't have much to say on that topic.

2a) Since it's a toss up, which activity would you have the most additional comments and impact statements that aren't repetitive from somewhere else in the application? Or perhaps you'd wish to choose based on having diverse choices? It's up to you: most enjoyable, need the space to discuss, or diversity, as a basis for choice.

2b) No.

Hi, since I've been reading that you advise a dedicated leadership space for T20 applicants, would it be appropriate for me to use a "Leadership Not Listed Elsewhere" space for a job in which I worked 2 years, but was only promoted to a leadership position for 1 year? I was originally going to list the job as "Nonclinical Employment", but I already have another activity that fits that description.

Alternatively, I would list the job in the Employment space but use the work "Leader ****" in the title.
Are you willing to list only the dates and hours specific to the leadership position and not the entire datespan for the job with the extra year of hours? Then go for it. You can refer to the extra year of employment that led to the promotion in the narrative as part of the backstory. But only the leadership hours should go in the Total Hours space of the header.

Here's an example of how shadowing can be listed:
Experience Type: Physician Shadowing
Title: Physician Observation
Total Hours: Total hours shadowed for all docs included in the space.
Contact info, organization name, and dates: Use the info for the first physician you want to list.
Description:

John Patel, D.O., Family Medicine resident
13 hours in May 2017

Also:
Jill Rosenbloom, M.D., Pediatrician
New York Pediatrics
800-000-0000
20 hours in June 2016

Jane Santos, M.D., General Surgeon
New York Surgical Associates
800-000-0000
13 hours in January and February 2016, during general and bariatric office hours

James Ruzic, M.D., Radiologist
New York Radiology Associates
[email protected]
7 hours in May 2015, during image reading

I was going to list my awards I received through work as well as my two TA experiences this way. Is it unprofessional to write it in this list or almost bulleted form? Not sure if I should instead be making a small paragraph (2-3 lines) for each award/experience so that I may describe them, list the hours and dates for each, and the contact for each.

I was going to list my awards I received through work as well as my two TA experiences this way. Is it unprofessional to write it in this list or almost bulleted form? Not sure if I should instead be making a small paragraph (2-3 lines) for each award/experience so that I may describe them, list the hours and dates for each, and the contact for each.
The bolded information can be included in a sub-bulleted format just as easily. It's completely up to you whether to use paragraphs or bullets. IMO it's easier for a reader to find the equivalent information among multiple entries in a space for the latter, if you put the info in the same order.

Would you consider senior class representative a leadership position? Or would that designation be reserved for the pres? Thanks

Would you consider senior class representative a leadership position? Or would that designation be reserved for the pres? Thanks
I might. It depends. Did you just show up and vote, then No. How would you describe your role? Any new initiatives? Did you chair committees, take initiative, interact with faculty, advocate for change? Tell me about it.

I might. It depends. Did you just show up and vote, then No. How would you describe your role? Any new initiatives? Did you chair committees, take initiative, interact with faculty, advocate for change? Tell me about it.
It seems like it's the first scenario, where a large part of my role was voting on issues. I did take initiative and contribute to the process of selecting a professor of the year by analyzing student feedback, but my main role was to voice the concerns of my peers.

It seems like it's the first scenario, where a large part of my role was voting on issues. I did take initiative and contribute to the process of selecting a professor of the year by analyzing student feedback, but my main role was to voice the concerns of my peers.
To give you a broad perspective, many of your peers will use a Leadership space for this largely passive role, but without a strong, supportive, convincing narrative description, readers will downgrade it in their own minds. Extracurricular is probably a more accurate tag for most. You decide.

For most meaningful activities I thought it was an additional 1325 characters to the original 700. But on amcas I see a box under most meaningful for 1325 and a separate box for 700 characters. So it’s 1325? Not 2,000+? Do you write in both boxes? Probably a dumb question but I saw some people say an additional 1325. Just want to be sure before I do it.

It's 700 + 1,325, but in different boxes. You can use the 700 for a description like your other activities, THEN add 1,325 saying why it's most meaningful or you can write a 2,025 character essay with a carefully spaced "break" after 700 characters. Or so I hear!

Reactions: 1 users
I realized i dont really have much non-clinical volunteering and since a lot of the volunteering i did in a nursing home (spent about 250 hours volunteering here) was doing activities like painting nails, teaching dance to and playing other games like wii bowling etc with the active residents with minimal health issues - would it be okay to combine my clinical activities in the nursing home(activities with more seriously ill residents) with the nonclinical ones as one nonclinical activity amounting to those 250 hours?

For most meaningful activities I thought it was an additional 1325 characters to the original 700. But on amcas I see a box under most meaningful for 1325 and a separate box for 700 characters. So it’s 1325? Not 2,000+? Do you write in both boxes? Probably a dumb question but I saw some people say an additional 1325. Just want to be sure before I do it.
The Activity narrative box holds 700 characters. If you designate MM, another box is available immediately below that for an additional 1325 characters, so 2025 total between the two. The issue to keep in mind is that what you type in box 1 cuts off (at the 700 mark), rather than wrapping into the MM box. So to make it look like one essay, you need a paragraph break right at that transition point. When printed, the entry looks just as it would if you'd caused a paragraph break yourself. The only indication that it's a MM entry is a notation on the left side of the box in small letters. So yes, write in both boxes.

I realized i dont really have much non-clinical volunteering and since a lot of the volunteering i did in a nursing home (spent about 250 hours volunteering here) was doing activities like painting nails, teaching dance to and playing other games like wii bowling etc with the active residents with minimal health issues - would it be okay to combine my clinical activities in the nursing home(activities with more seriously ill residents) with the nonclinical ones as one nonclinical activity amounting to those 250 hours?
How many hours would you estimate were clinical at the nursing home, out of the 250?

It's 700 + 1,325, but in different boxes. You can use the 700 for a description like your other activities, THEN add 1,325 saying why it's most meaningful or you can write a 2,025 character essay with a carefully spaced "break" after 700 characters. Or so I hear!
You answered much more succinctly than I did. And correctly!

I wouldn't think so. Even though you did nonclinical things with these people they are still patients in a healthcare setting. I do a lot of arts, crafts, coloring, and a bunch of other nonclinical activities with children at a hospital. Its still clinical.

Basing off this post, if something like surfing is a hobby that you can put on the experience list, would then reading be considered one as well? Obviously not referring to school books, but something like let's say self improvement books. And I won't be saying it to show off or anything (oh I'm so smart, I always read), it's just that I spent a lot of time doing that particular hobby.

Or should I mention it somewhere else, not in the experience list.
You can include this activity under the Hobbies tab.

I realize that the following doesn't qualify as "true research" since it didn't get published anywhere, but my question is whether it's better than nothing to list as research on my application. How will admins see it? Is it better to have no research at all on my application, or too include research that isn't true research?

As a chemistry major, I had to do a Capstone project to graduate. I did an article review on the cardio protective nature of a plant based diet. The article review is 20 pages long, includes 50+ references, and was condensed into a poster which I presented to the Chemistry Department's faculty.

Can I include this as research on my application since I have no other research to speak of, or will it actually be a net negative to include?
Adcomms will see this as equivalent of a term paper. If you want to mention it in your application, use the "Other" tab, name it Capstone Project, and describe the experience of completing the paper and poster.

Are the 700 character entries purely describing what we did and the impact we made? Do we discuss lessons we learned or growth we had from it? In some of the 700 entries I added what I learned and growth I had as a result of the activity. Or is this just for the 3 most meaningful activities?

Are the 700 character entries purely describing what we did and the impact we made? Do we discuss lessons we learned or growth we had from it? In some of the 700 entries I added what I learned and growth I had as a result of the activity. Or is this just for the 3 most meaningful activities?
Some 700 character spaces include just a description and role. But both are not always necessary, so if there's extra characters left, it's fine to tack on the impact (on you) & lessons learned, future direction, even anecdotes, which are typically expected to be found in an MM section. So if a given activity lends itself to that sort of introspection, it's OK to go in that direction. You're fine.

Thank you for your help!

I have six abstracts/posters that I am planning on listing together as one entry and they don't fit in the 700 with full official citations.

Two are 1st author national. One is 1st author regional. Two are 2nd author national. And one is a 4th author national that I presented at my college.

Is there an abbreviated format for posters that I can use or should I cut some? Should I put some with their appropriate research experience entry? I also have an entry for publications that will have some space...?

I'm applying MD/PhD for reference.

1)I've done 2.5 years of undergrad research that led to one poster presentation at a national conference and a pending publication (2nd author but wont be published by time of application submission). do I just lump my undergrad research and poster presentation in one spot? If so, would i put it under research/lab or presentation/poster as the experience type?
2)I also have an abstract submission and poster presentation for an upcoming national conference for my current research but can't attend because lack of funding to cover transportation costs (i'm listed as second author on abstract submission and on poster). Should i still record this as its own activity under poster/presentation?

How many hours would you estimate were clinical at the nursing home, out of the 250?

maybe around 100? would it be bad that i dont have nonclinical hours on my app elsewhere since all my volunteering looks clinical otherwise?

1) maybe around 100?
2) would it be bad that i dont have nonclinical hours on my app elsewhere since all my volunteering looks clinical otherwise?
1) What about splitting this activity into two spaces? You have enough hours for each for them both to be strong: 100 clinical and 150 nonclinical volunteering.

2) Not a good idea.

I have six abstracts/posters that I am planning on listing together as one entry and they don't fit in the 700 with full official citations.

Two are 1st author national. One is 1st author regional. Two are 2nd author national. And one is a 4th author national that I presented at my college.

1) Is there an abbreviated format for posters that I can use or should I cut some?
2) Should I put some with their appropriate research experience entry?
3) I also have an entry for publications that will have some space...?

I'm applying MD/PhD for reference.
1) You can truncate, summarize the title of the poster, or just give a topic. You need not list all authors and could just indicate your place on the list. If the same poster data was presented elsewhere, you don't have to repeat the title (maybe the regional presentation?).

2) This would not be in your best interests, but you could.

3) Only list a presentation in Publications if it represents largely the same data set of a cited publication, in which case you would append the affiliated pub citation with, "also presented in poster form [conference], [date] [anything else relevant, like authorship position]."

1)I've done 2.5 years of undergrad research that led to one poster presentation at a national conference and a pending publication (2nd author but wont be published by time of application submission). do I just lump my undergrad research and poster presentation in one spot? If so, would i put it under research/lab or presentation/poster as the experience type?
2)I also have an abstract submission and poster presentation for an upcoming national conference for my current research but can't attend because lack of funding to cover transportation costs (i'm listed as second author on abstract submission and on poster). Should i still record this as its own activity under poster/presentation?
1) You would ideally have both a Research space and a Presentation/Posters space. If you don't have room for a dedicated PP space, then add the poster to the Research entry.

2) If this abstract is accepted before you submit, you can list this in the same Presentations/Posters space as above, notating that the abstract was accepted for [conference], [future date][authorship position].

If it has not been accepted, don't list it on the Primary Application. A submission is meaningless. It must go through a peer review process to give the entry some validation.

Did you ask the department or the PI if they have some slush fund money they could give you toward transportation costs?

1) You would ideally have both a Research space and a Presentation/Posters space. If you don't have room for a dedicated PP space, then add the poster to the Research entry.

2) If this abstract is accepted before you submit, you can list this in the same Presentations/Posters space as above, notating that the abstract was accepted for [conference], [future date][authorship position].

If it has not been accepted, don't list it on the Primary Application. A submission is meaningless. It must go through a peer review process to give the entry some validation.

Did you ask the department or the PI if they have some slush fund money they could give you toward transportation costs?

Thank you for the clarification. I think I have the space to have both a research and PP space. The abstract has been accepted. Unfortunately, the conference is happening this weekend so nothin can be done.

Hi! So several questions..
1) I'm an athlete at a big DI school and not sure how to go about talking about it. I've already talked about it in my PS but definitely want to make it a MM too, and possibly talk more about the teamwork aspect of it rather than the individual one. Does that seem like a good idea?
2) Also, as an upperclassman I feel like I've taken on a leadership role with the younger athletes. I think I will be named co-captain in the fall, but as of now I don't really have a formal leadership position. Should I mention this at all?
3) I also talked about shadowing abroad in my PS- is it a bad idea to talk about shadowing again, but in the US, as an MM?
4) And for a third MM I want to talk about my research, but one of my LoR's is from my previous lab. Is that weird/should I talk about that research instead?
5) Should I list awards for research (fellowships and assistantships) under the affiliated Research section, or Honors/Awards?
6) For research, should I mention my plan to do a thesis as a capstone project in the fall, or is this more of a secondary/updates subject?

Thank you so much!!

1) I'm an athlete at a big DI school and not sure how to go about talking about it. I've already talked about it in my PS but definitely want to make it a MM too, and possibly talk more about the teamwork aspect of it rather than the individual one. Does that seem like a good idea?
2) Also, as an upperclassman I feel like I've taken on a leadership role with the younger athletes. I think I will be named co-captain in the fall, but as of now I don't really have a formal leadership position. Should I mention this at all?
3) I also talked about shadowing abroad in my PS- is it a bad idea to talk about shadowing again, but in the US, as an MM?
4) And for a third MM I want to talk about my research, but one of my LoR's is from my previous lab. Is that weird/should I talk about that research instead?
5) Should I list awards for research (fellowships and assistantships) under the affiliated Research section, or Honors/Awards?
6) For research, should I mention my plan to do a thesis as a capstone project in the fall, or is this more of a secondary/updates subject?

Thank you so much!!
1) Yes.

2) Though you don't have a formal title, there's no reason you can't discuss the mentorship role that you've taken on with the younger atheletes within your narrative.

3) There's no reason that a PS topic can't also be made a MM activity, so long as there remains plenty to say about it. And emphasizing the USA shadowing experience in your comments is a good strategy.

4) It's OK to make a different lab MM than the one you got your LOR from.

5) If the focus and aim of your application is T20 schools (and you have the stats to back up that aspiration), then emphasizing the research fellowships and assistantships in an Awards space is a good idea. If you are aiming at primary care-/humanistic-/service-oriented schools, then de-emphasizing the research recognitions by keeping them in a Research space is a reasonable strategy.

6) Honestly, adcomms won't care. Don't waste the characters to mention it. You're doing it for your own glory and self-affirmation, not because any program you apply to will give you points for it. Saving it for Secondaries is a better idea.

Does it matter that none of my three most meaningful activities are clinical? I have one research, one unique extracurricular, and one healthcare-related tech work experience. I do have two slots worth of clinical experience with decent involvement, but I felt like I could best exemplify my journey to medicine (through the unique extracurricular), and my background through the work experience.

Does it matter that none of my three most meaningful activities are clinical? I have one research, one unique extracurricular, and one healthcare-related tech work experience. I do have two slots worth of clinical experience with decent involvement, but I felt like I could best exemplify my journey to medicine (through the unique extracurricular), and my background through the work experience.
It doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.