*~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2019-2020 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most adcomms are old and staid, and probably won't find risk-taking activities to be an appealing characteristic in an applicant. But if risk is your thing, and you want your genuinine self to be known, go ahead and list it.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In the process of choosing my MMEs, and the three I have tentatively chosen are something like:

clinical volunteering EC with underserved pop in a safety net hospital
nonclinical volunteering EC working with marginalized/underserved urban population
being a freelance musician (which has comprised at least part of my income for the last 6 or so years)

My question: Should I slot another clinical experience in? is it bad that only 1/3 are be clinical?

In the process of choosing my MMEs, and the three I have tentatively chosen are something like:

clinical volunteering EC with underserved pop in a safety net hospital
nonclinical volunteering EC working with marginalized/underserved urban population
being a freelance musician (which has comprised at least part of my income for the last 6 or so years)

My question:
1) Should I slot another clinical experience in?
2) is it bad that only 1/3 are be clinical?
1) What other candidates do you have?

2) No.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The other options I am thinking of:

1) two different experiences volunteering at free clinics for those without insurance (two different states)
2) 5y~ work experience as an information technology consultant in government/healthcare
First off, you don't have to select more than one MM activity, so two is also fine. Freelance musician or nonmedical community service are excellent possibilities. Of the two additional options you've provided for a third MM essay, would you really have significant additional impact to relate that would warrant using a second clinical space for a similar activity? Probably not. I can't comment on the second new option, as I can't visualize how/if you might make it an interesting essay for someone without that background, but if you could (based on feedback from several readers) then that could be different and compelling reading experience for adcomms who, frankly, see a lot of the same essays for clinical stuff.

1. Should the way you speak of the activities be centered around a certain "theme" that is consistent through application/PS? (wanting to help the underserved, becoming a research, going into academic medicine) Or does it not really matter?

2. I have two research experiences, a 'main' one at my 4 year (where my publication is with), and a 'smaller' one I did at a previous school prior to transferring. Would it look odd to make the smaller one my MME if to me, personally, it meant more and contributed more to who I am? (It was my first time in a lab, and with a very influential person in my life)

1. Should the way you speak of the activities be centered around a certain "theme" that is consistent through application/PS? (wanting to help the underserved, becoming a research, going into academic medicine) Or does it not really matter?

2. I have two research experiences, a 'main' one at my 4 year (where my publication is with), and a 'smaller' one I did at a previous school prior to transferring. Would it look odd to make the smaller one my MME if to me, personally, it meant more and contributed more to who I am? (It was my first time in a lab, and with a very influential person in my life)
1) A few adcomms seem to like seeing a consistent theme throughout. Personally, I don't think it matters. That's not how life's experiences come upon a person. Everyone doesn't know their path from middle school onward. How can one know they prefer a research pathway until after they've had experience with clinical care, helping others, teaching, AND research, for example. All those experiences are important to shaping what you will be, and it's still OK to change one's mind in med school and take another path.

2) No, it won't look odd.

Any thoughts on referencing your personal statement in your "Most Meaningful Experiences?" Saying something to the effect of, "In my personal statement, I mention..." and then elaborating on the thing you mention?

Any thoughts on referencing your personal statement in your "Most Meaningful Experiences?" Saying something to the effect of, "In my personal statement, I mention..." and then elaborating on the thing you mention?
Not a good idea, because the same reader won't necessarily have access to every section. Some schools divide up the scoring responsibilities that way for better quality control. So each part of the application needs to stand on its own.

I was employed as a university tutor, and I was also paid an hour of preparation time for every hour I tutored. Is it ok then if I "double" my total hours to account for this, or should I only include the hours I tutored? I'm conflicted since I don't want to oversell myself, but I also did put in considerable effort (oftentimes exceeding 1 hour) in preparing my sessions.

I was employed as a university tutor, and I was also paid an hour of preparation time for every hour I tutored. Is it ok then if I "double" my total hours to account for this, or should I only include the hours I tutored? I'm conflicted since I don't want to oversell myself, but I also did put in considerable effort (oftentimes exceeding 1 hour) in preparing my sessions.
As this was paid employment, the hours may be accounted for by your Contact and/or payroll office, and the prep time was pretty much required for the job, I think including them is fine, but comment on the actual facetime in your narrative, especially if you are using the tag Teaching, vs Employment-Not Medical/Clinical. Transparency is good.

If, OTOH, your Contact will only attest to the actual teaching hours, then use that number in the header for Total Hours so they match, but in the narrative add that "an additional XX hours not included above were spent on prep time."

Is it ok to use slash (/) and plus (+) symbols when describing an activity?

For example: "I voted on proposals involving...course additions/deletions, and pre-professional program additions."

"...voting for a Certain College/Certain University Law school 3+3 program."

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Appreciate any advice you have to offer:

1. a) So i did some research over a summer and there was an abstract presented at the AUA (Medical conference) for a podium presentation (probably took like 10-15mins) and my name was on this. Does this need to be listed separately under publication or can I just add it in my research description (latter preferences bc I’m maxed out on activities...).

1. b) And if I do add it to description, how do I prove it? I was able to find it by going to the medical conference website and find the presentation abstract but not sure how to prove it to adcoms (url maybe?)

2. I did a summer volunteering internship of around 320 hours. Approximately 200 hours was spent doing solely clerical work in medical and dental clinics (which is clinical imo) and another 120 was spent at the food bank/produce market (which is non clinical imo). Right now without this activity, my clinical hours aids around 120 and my non clinical hours sits around 100. I was thinking about breaking this up into two separate activities to boost them both up individually but right now have it as one activity for the 320 total. If I want to talk about the experience as a WHOLE for my MME, how would you go about doing this? Keeping it all under one activity for either classification? Or separating the two and then selecting one as MME and hoping adcoms can piece the two together?

3. a) I’m thinking about classifying my experience tutoring freshmen (30 hours only did it for 2 semesters) along with my MCAT instructing experience with a test prep company (more around 100 hours +, did it for two semesters). Is this okay? So assuming those tutoring experiences can be put under one, I have an additional teaching intership while studying abroad. In total, that makes two teaching/tutoring experiences.

3 b) But I also have peer advising that I did as a senior ...and I really don’t want to classify this under tutoring again. I had my own individual groups and met with them to offer advice. Can this be leadership instead? Or extracurricular? What would you advise? And I technically got paid for this but do I have to list it as paid? It wasn’t a set hourly wage more of a here’s $500 thanks for doing this lol.

4. I potentially might not have room to do both awards and hobby.. what should I do? The award is a national honor society for my major and a senior award that I got nominated for outstanding teaching as a Undergraduate student over my 4 years (only one person gets it). Also deans list and potential magnum cum lauds (the lowest one whatever it is). But weightlifting and nutrition has been such as huge part of my life since late high school. Use to be basically obese but have learned so much about dieting and working, etc. over my years ... big confidence booster and have shared this passion for nutrition by leading talks as a homeless center about healthy eating... what do you think?
1a) Rather than giving it its own Presentations/Posters space , it's fine to keep it in the affiliated Research space. If you didn't give the podium presentation, give credit to the author that did.

1b) URL is a good way, but if it's too long, figure out how to create a miniURL.

2) Clerical work done in a clinical facility isn't "clinical" for AMCAS purposes unless you consistently had patient contact, so I'd suggest leaving it as one activity with 320 hours. This will make it easier for discussion purposes within a Most Meaningful entry for you.

3a) Yes.

3b) Peer advising, which is mentoring, is actually another form of teaching, but you could just as well classify it as Extracurricular (where you'd mention the stipend you got) or Employment or Other.

4) The Teaching Award is a big deal. You could potentially mention it in the same space with one of the Teaching activities (like the MM space?). The other honors you earned are already reflected in your GPA, so you can let them go. That would pave the way to keeping a Hobbies space, where you have very interesting things to say from what you shared.

Is it ok to use slash (/) and plus (+) symbols when describing an activity?

For example: "I voted on proposals involving...course additions/deletions, and pre-professional program additions."

"...voting for a Certain College/Certain University Law school 3+3 program."
Many of the special characters won't show up in the PDF version of the printed application. If they will (you need to test it out from the Print command on the upper right of the Main page) then those you mention are fine to use.

If you start a new volunteer activity this summer, but plan on sticking with it until you start medical school (hopefully), would you put the duration of the activity from now until the first day of class?

If you start a new volunteer activity this summer, but plan on sticking with it until you start medical school (hopefully), would you put the duration of the activity from now until the first day of class?

I'll be starting it this Saturday and submitting my app in mid July.
If after a few months, you are fairly certain you'll stick with the volunteer gig until Aug2020 (the latest end month you can enter) then you can enter the entire duration of the planned activity. Since you'll want to separate out completed vs planned hours, either enter those two date spans in the header using the Repeated feature (with projected hours in the second), or mention in the narrative that you completed XX of the above hours and plan to continue the activity at X hours per week through the application season.

If by July you aren't certain of sticking with the activity (bad supervisor, toxic environment, or whatever), then only enter completed dates and hours and mention your uncertain plan in the narrative without being too specific about projected dates and hours.

Thanks so much for the reply!!!! Just some updated questions

1) regarding the podium presentation. I was actually just on google scholar and found the abstract on the journal of urology so i guess it did get published? anyway, it's just an abstract but my name is on it and it does have a doi and a proper citation available to copy and paste... should I just do that or should I still mention the speaker who did present it at the podium?

2) With regards to my clerical work, I thought if you were close enough to "smell the patient", it counts as clinical? I basically had to check patients in, schedule follow up appointments, collect insurance/ID from them, etc. But if you still think leaving it as non clinical is the best, I shall do so! Do you think only having ~120 hours of clinical hours will hurt my chances at T20 schools if everything else is around reasonable numbers?

3) with regards to the reward, I'm not really planning on using any of my straight up tutoring/teaching activities as a MME experience ... even though education is what really draws me to medicine, I think I talk enough about it in my PS and wanted to take a different angle in my MME.... but do you think I should still just throw it into a description for one of my teaching activity? my other option is to put it into one of my MME activities regarding working in the admissions office where I basically organized visitation weekends for prospective students at my university and spent a lot of time answering questions, sharing my experiences as a pre-med, etc. in hopes of convincing them to attend the university (its a MME bc it also involves planning a whole visitation weekend for them. If that really doesn't fall into the teaching category, which I don't think it does, I'm not sure what I should do then.
1) If the abstract appears in the Journal of Urology, there's a good chance it has a PubMedID#, which would be the preferred way to refer to it with minimal characters. Can you check ( Home - PubMed - NCBI )? Anyway, an abstract appearing in a national journal is a "publication" and could go in its own Publications space. But if you are limited in space, leave it with the Research. Were it in a Publications space, you could make a note after the citation that the data was also presented via podium at [conference name, date] by the third author, but you don't have to mention that if you'd prefer, as Publication is the most prestigious venue for data presentation.

2) OK, it sounds like you did have face-to-face interactions with patients in a helpful role, so it is "Clinical." Sorry I misunderstood. Going back to the original question:
I did a summer volunteering internship of around 320 hours. Approximately 200 hours was spent doing solely clerical work in medical and dental clinics (which is clinical imo) and another 120 was spent at the food bank/produce market (which is non clinical imo). Right now without this activity, my clinical hours aids around 120 and my non clinical hours sits around 100. I was thinking about breaking this up into two separate activities to boost them both up individually but right now have it as one activity for the 320 total. If I want to talk about the experience as a WHOLE for my MME, how would you go about doing this? Keeping it all under one activity for either classification? Or separating the two and then selecting one as MME and hoping adcomms can piece the two together?
Unless you would want to use one space "Other" (not the best choice when you're light on category hours per T20 expectations), which is the category often used for Internships that have multiple components, you'd be obliged to break the activity into two spaces, picking the one with which you experienced the most impact as your MM.

3) Throw it into the most appropriate space in which you can fit it.

For multiple awards, better list as one award category or mention on each activity
If put all in one category, should not mention in each activity description?

For poster presentation, National level, better list as poster category or mention on research activity

1) For multiple awards, better list as one award category or mention on each activity
If put all in one category, should not mention in each activity description?

2) For poster presentation, National level, better list as poster category or mention on research activity
1) Ideally, use one space with a description only for awards that are not self-explanatory. A second space could be used for an extremely prestigious award: Olympic Gold, etc.

2) It is best to enter a national meeting poster presentation in a Presentations/Posters space, if you have room.

While grouping them is fine, especially if your duties were the same:
-If you have the space, list them separately.
-If you cannot generalize a Most Meaningful entry to refer to both CNA positions, list them separately.
Sorry to dig this up again. I'm considering grouping them. Would listing the 2nd facility at the end of the narrative be ok? Thanks!

ex: "I helped residents with daily living activities such as personal hygiene, eating, and mobility. My other duties included...

Also:
CNA - September 2017-January 2018. Total Hours 700
Facility #2
###-###-####

Sorry to dig this up again. I'm considering grouping them. Would listing the 2nd facility at the end of the narrative be ok? Thanks!

ex: "I helped residents with daily living activities such as personal hygiene, eating, and mobility. My other duties included...

Also:
CNA - September 2017-January 2018. Total Hours 700
Facility #2
###-###-####
That looks fine.

1.) Would it be worth including a 5-month part-time scribe position (about 350 hours)? It was initially a means to keep myself busy while I interview for full-time jobs but I ended up learning a lot. Though I am not sure if 5 months is significant enough. Post-grad.

2.) It is recommended to include anecdotal stories (e.g. I saw x, y, and z during my tutoring gig/leadership, showing me a real-life example of the effects of socioeconomic status on one's education)? Since the PS revolves around this type of writing, I would think yes, but the 700 character limit makes me think otherwise.

1) Ideally, use one space with a description only for awards that are not self-explanatory. A second space could be used for an extremely prestigious award: Olympic Gold, etc.
Thank you! The athlete of year is an award?

1.) Would it be worth including a 5-month part-time scribe position (about 350 hours)? It was initially a means to keep myself busy while I interview for full-time jobs but I ended up learning a lot. Though I am not sure if 5 months is significant enough. Post-grad.

2.) It is recommended to include anecdotal stories (e.g. I saw x, y, and z during my tutoring gig/leadership, showing me a real-life example of the effects of socioeconomic status on one's education)? Since the PS revolves around this type of writing, I would think yes, but the 700 character limit makes me think otherwise.
1) College students may list a number of short-term jobs, so a five-monther won't stand out. You can group it or give it its own space depending on what you need to say about it, but giving it a separate Employment-Medical/Clinical space is best.

2) Anecdotal stories and impact statements may work best for for the PS and the Most Meaningful spaces, due to space limitations.

Thanks, one more question,
Senior thesis should list as one activity as research or no?

I currently have two MM experiences (research and non-clinical volunteering), and I am seeking advice for the third.

1. I recently started a scribing job that I will continue throughout the year. It is going well so far and I anticipate that it will be a very meaningful experience for me. At the time of submission, I will have a little over 100 hours. Should I list the scribing position as a MM experience or do I not have enough hours for it yet?
2. I have a study abroad that can potentially be a MM experience. However, I would not have any clinical MM experiences if it is listed. Would this reflect poorly on my application? Is it acceptable for all three MM experiences to be non-clinical?

Essentially, should my third MM be scribing or study abroad? Thanks!

Thanks, one more question,
Senior thesis should list as one activity as research or no?
An original research activity, based on the scientific method (rather than on a review of past published papers), belongs in a Research space. The experience of writing a senior thesis, if you elect to discuss this, would go under the tag of Other.

I currently have two MM experiences (research and non-clinical volunteering), and I am seeking advice for the third.

1. I recently started a scribing job that I will continue throughout the year. It is going well so far and I anticipate that it will be a very meaningful experience for me. At the time of submission, I will have a little over 100 hours. Should I list the scribing position as a MM experience or do I not have enough hours for it yet?
2. I have a study abroad that can potentially be a MM experience. However, I would not have any clinical MM experiences if it is listed. Would this reflect poorly on my application? Is it acceptable for all three MM experiences to be non-clinical?

Essentially, should my third MM be scribing or study abroad? Thanks!
1) An MM activity can be based on far fewer hours than 100, so use the scribing if you feel it qualifies and you have lots to say.

2) You are not obliged or expected to have a clinical MM, but I think the potential impact from a positive clinical experience gives you more relevant reflections to draw on for an essay that adcomms want to read.

For one of my volunteer activities at a soup kitchen, the organization does not share volunteer information with anyone except the volunteer and would not give me a contact person to list to verify my hours. Who should I list as a contact? Should I explain that the organization won’t disclose volunteer info in the activity description? Thanks!

For one of my volunteer activities at a soup kitchen, the organization does not share volunteer information with anyone except the volunteer and would not give me a contact person to list to verify my hours. Who should I list as a contact? Should I explain that the organization won’t disclose volunteer info in the activity description? Thanks!
Yes, and a note that you have written confirmation that you can provide on request. So acquire whatever document they'll provide that attests to your hours and timeframe. Try to have someone with a title in the organization sign off on it (and stamp it if possible). Then keep it and a photo of it handy, just in case you're asked. You'll still provide a Contact within the organization who can confirm that their records can't be released to anyone but the volunteer.

So helpful, thank you!
One more question, if has national poster presentation in poster category, there are a couple more poster presentation in school level, those school level one can in poster category with national one, or school poster presentation should in research activity?

With your response to my last #2, I guess I will break it up into two activties then. But for the one that I select to be the MME,
1) would it be okay to talk about both the non-clinical AND clinical hours I did (basically my experience there as a whole)? OR would this be confusing because adcoms might not be able to piece together that these two experiences, although listed separately, actually took place together?
2) Or is there a note or something I could write in the space just to clarify?
1) No. Don't do it. It will be confusing, if the same reader doesn't have access to all the Activities categories. And if they do, it will annoy the reader that you're making four activities MM.

2) Sorry, but I cannot support your taking this approach. Either discard one of your other MM activities, or list these two together as an Internship in a single "Other" space.

One more question, if has national poster presentation in poster category, there are a couple more poster presentation in school level, those school level one can in poster category with national one, or school poster presentation should in research activity?
If one of the campus posters uses the same data set as the national poster, you can mention them both in one Presentations/Posters space (with the national poster listed first). Other campus posters should stay in the Research space.

Hey! I had a question about how to list certain activities in this section. I was apart of 3 different clubs at various lengths and positions. The clubs are Hiking club (2 years of CFO, 1 year of general officer), Cycling Team (3 years general officer, 1 year of CFO), and Scuba club (1 year VP). I was thinking of separating the Cycling Team as one of my most meaningful experience so should I combine the other two? However, I wanted to expand on the hiking club because we started as 5 officers and expanded to a team of 20 and eventually became the biggest club on campus within 2 years. Also who would I list as contact? My fellow officers that have graduated or find someone that works at the school?

Another question about employment. I was promoted from assistant coach to head coach to director of a summer camp should I just combine that all into 1 entry?

Quick question! I'm trying consolidate some of my activities. I've been involved in hospital volunteering which includes both clinical volunteering in the ER as well as some shifts at the front desk where it may be more non-clinical. Would it work for me to put the non-clinical clerical work in with another non-clinical experience like volunteering at a local homeless shelter and making the ER volunteering it's own entry? I would also ask what to name the non-clinical volunteering section like "Gap Year Volunteering" just to try to cover both experiences? Thanks!

I was apart of 3 different clubs at various lengths and positions. The clubs are Hiking club (2 years of CFO, 1 year of general officer), Cycling Team (3 years general officer, 1 year of CFO), and Scuba club (1 year VP).

1) I was thinking of separating the Cycling Team as one of my most meaningful experience so should I combine the other two?
2) However, I wanted to expand on the hiking club because we started as 5 officers and expanded to a team of 20 and eventually became the biggest club on campus within 2 years. Also who would I list as contact? My fellow officers that have graduated or find someone that works at the school?

3) Another question about employment. I was promoted from assistant coach to head coach to director of a summer camp should I just combine that all into 1 entry?
1) Yes.

2) You can always list yourself, but that sounds like an important activity since you were in a leadership position that had great results, so ideally you'd find a co-officer or faculty/advisor on campus who can attest to your accomplishments.

3) Yes.

1) I'm trying consolidate some of my activities. I've been involved in hospital volunteering which includes both clinical volunteering in the ER as well as some shifts at the front desk where it may be more non-clinical. Would it work for me to put the non-clinical clerical work in with another non-clinical experience like volunteering at a local homeless shelter and making the ER volunteering it's own entry?
2) I would also ask what to name the non-clinical volunteering section like "Gap Year Volunteering" just to try to cover both experiences? Thanks!
1) Folks at the front desk often have face-to-face interaction with patients (giving directions, answering phones, responding to questions, etc) which is all "clinical". Didn't you do any of that, or maybe you were in a back room doing paperwork? Or do you "need" more nonclinical hours, and would prefer to split them up?

2) Add the word "community" (to differentiate it from "campus").

Thanks for all your help so far.

1a) I had previously mentioned about peer advising. While it is technically "mentoring --> tutoring/teaching", I can also classify it as "Paid Employment - Non clinical" since I got money for it, correct? Reason why I'm asking is, in order to free up a space, I'm thinking of grouping my peer advising "job" with my alternative student job as a recruitment coordinator in the office of undergraduate admissions, where I worked with counselors to plan visitation weekends/lead them/contact students and shared experiences/etc. Then make this a MME and talk about both experiences ... what do you think?

1b) with peer advising, I got paid by two separate departments that are not affiliated. Should I list just names and emails for contacts for both in the description box (the contact title I would use for my admission job, where a majority of my time was spent)? no need to include their titles, right? Just wondering bc I wanna save on character space to talk about both work experiences as much as possible.

2. How informal can experience names be? I get that I shouldn't repeat anything between experience name vs. organization, but should I basically put as much descriptive information I can? Writing "UG Research Assistant in Department SoandSo" (and then putting specific lab name in Organization) versus just "Research Assistant" or "Physician Shadowing" vs "Physician Shadowing in Multiple Specialities" or "Studying Abroad in Ireland" vs "Study Abroad" ... etc... like if I have the character space in name then why not right?

2a) What do you think of this for an experience name: "Recruitment Coordinator/Tour Guide/Peer Advisor" ?

3a. For physician shadowing, I have a ton of different specialities. Do you recommend saying what I actually got to see in those shadowing experiences? for some I can say like OR shadowing but I don't really know what I would say about other experiences like emergency medicine or private pediatric practice.

3b. Also, following the standard of writing out where they work "ex: so and so hospital" for each one, I've reached my max characters so if I had to even make a note of what i did for each experience, I think I'd have to delete the hospital/clinic associations of each of my contacts. Thoughts?
1a) That works fine.

1b) Yes and Yes.

2) More information in the title draws the reader in with a fore-taste of what it's about. You have about 63 characters, so using them is fine. Don't abbreviate undergrad with "UG," though.

3) How many hours are we talking for all the shadowing?

3a) Adcomms know what you might see when shadowing every specialty, so there's no need to be specific and waste characters about procedures viewed. Since you have so many specialties, I suggest listing the primary care shadowing first (eg, Pediatrics), especially if you have a good contact for this (these). Then perhaps list two high-hour specialties with a good contact.

After that you can summarize the rest, like "Also 43 hours shadowed multiple surgeons at Mt Saint Elsewhere in the OR, spring 2018. Additionally shadowed 23 hours IM subspecialties, in clinic, same time/location. If all those specialty observations were coordinated by someone for you, you can give that person as the Contact for all of them, rather than specific docs.

3b) Are all the hospital and clinic associations different? If you are using a doc for a contact, then no need to list them for each Contact.

2) Thank you! Just a follow up on this, lets say in my Experience name I write that I'm a "Volunteer involving Home Repair" ... and then in the organization I put the organization I volunteered with, lets say "BOB Repairz", then in my description then, there's no need to preface what I did with "For my class seminar, I volunteered with Bob Repairz, which is an organization that repairs roofs of homes" .... right? Just jump into what I did or should I still include that preface/intro.

3/3a/3b: So I believe peds is the only primary care speciality I really shadowed and it was only for 98 hours. The rest were all specialities. NONE were with the same clinic/hospital associations and all were personal docs that I reached out on my own. I have them written out chronologically right now, but you think I should change it to be Primary then highest to least highest hours then? with peds as primary contact?

Example of how I have them now:

Dr. John Smith, MD, Pediatrics
So and So Peds Organization
June 2015-July 2015 (8 Hours)
[email protected]

Last edited:
2) Thank you! Just a follow up on this, lets say in my Experience name I write that I'm a "Class Seminar - Volunteer involving Home Repair" ... and then in the organization I put the organization I volunteered with, lets say "BOB Repairz", then in my description then, there's no need to preface what I did with "For my class seminar, I volunteered with Bob Repairz, which is an organization that repairs roofs of homes" .... right? Just jump into what I did or should I still include that preface/intro.

3/3a/3b: So I believe peds is the only primary care speciality I really shadowed and it was only for 8 hours. The rest were all specialities. NONE were with the same clinic/hospital associations and all were personal docs that I reached out on my own. I have them written out chronologically right now, but you think I should change it to be Primary then highest to least highest hours then? with peds as primary contact?

Example of how I have them now:

Dr. John Smith, MD, Pediatrics
So and So Peds Organization
June 2015-July 2015 (8 Hours)
[email protected]
2) Correct. It is desirable to refrain from repeating information or adding words to describe a role that is intuitive. No need to waste the few characters at your disposal.

3) Yes, primary care, then highest to least hours, with Pediatric Contact in the header. That is the order in which readers will find what they want to know most quickly.

As far as your example, in the header best to be putting an all-inclusive timespan in the header, for all shadowing, with the Grand Total of all hours of all specialties. Then subtotal hours and specific timeframes with each entry.

And just to note: there is no one right way to do this. I don't know the data base you are forced to present in a concise manner so it is easily understood. You could sort them in various way, including having subheadings of Surgical vs Medical, or by year in school you did them (so you don't have to give individual timeframes).

I have been on Dean's list every semester I have been in college. In academic achievements, should I list each time I received the award as a separate achievement or should I just list it once and in the description write all of the semesters I was awarded it?

Thank you for your help!

I have been on Dean's list every semester I have been in college. In academic achievements, should I list each time I received the award as a separate achievement or should I just list it once and in the description write all of the semesters I was awarded it?

Thank you for your help!
List it once and summarize the semesters. Other awards/recognitions can be entered in the same space. If space is tight, it's OK to leave out Deans List, as your GPA speaks for itself, anyway.

List it once and summarize the semesters. Other awards/recognitions can be entered in the same space. If space is tight, it's OK to leave out Deans List, as your GPA speaks for itself, anyway.
Thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.