Official August 2, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paul Darlington

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know, I know it is too early but is anyone else taking it on this date?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
mcat curves perpetuate our cut-throat attitude...its sad how our success is based on the poor performances of others

Reactions: 1 users
Ugh, 8 more days. Every other day I alternate between thinking I rocked it and then being like "but I did rush through that last passage with 1 minute left..." and remembering the 29s I got an AAMC 10 and 11. ARGH.

Ugh, 8 more days. Every other day I alternate between thinking I rocked it and then being like "but I did rush through that last passage with 1 minute left..." and remembering the 29s I got an AAMC 10 and 11. ARGH.
Thats tough, my current approach is to ignore all MCAT conversation, hid my books and notes, and Ive been able to go days without thinking about it. It's made me really productive at work lol. But hang in there-almost time!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One week from today, guys! IDK about you guys but my predicted score keeps falling as we get closer and closer to the release date.

Reactions: 1 users
One week from today, guys! IDK about you guys but my predicted score keeps falling as we get closer and closer to the release date.

MCAT Predicted Score Timeline:

Before exam: AAMC 10 & 11 +/- 2
End of exam: 38
1 week later: 34-35
2 weeks later: 32-33
1 month later: ~30
Day before release: JUST WANT 25!!!

Am I the only who's thinking the opposite? I walked out of the exam feeling horrible and wanted to sign up for a new date. Now I keep trying to convince myself maybe it wasn't really that bad and maybe there was just a few tough passages and not a terrible whole exam
But this only works for a second. Then I go back to thinking I bombed it and did worse than any of my practice exams

Am I the only who's thinking the opposite? I walked out of the exam feeling horrible and wanted to sign up for a new date. Now I keep trying to convince myself maybe it wasn't really that bad and maybe there was just a few tough passages and not a terrible whole exam
But this only works for a second. Then I go back to thinking I bombed it and did worse than any of my practice exams
Same here but I am assuming most people who thought they bombed the MCAT were good test takers. I am for one a terrible test taker and my post feelings are always right. Hopefully one time in my life this would be the exact opposite. Taking the Aug 1st bio made me feel like i failed. I literally felt good about bio even though it had difficult passages. However, remembering taking my one of my aamc test I know that feeling can be the opposite, which sucks. In addition, verbal is the same as well :/

MCAT Predicted Score Timeline:

Before exam: AAMC 10 & 11 +/- 2
End of exam: 38
1 week later: 34-35
2 weeks later: 32-33
1 month later: ~30
Day before release: JUST WANT 25!!!

Lol this X100. After the exam I was like "awwww yeah, finished every question!" then later I was like "oh wait, well missed that one discrete...and that other passage I wasn't sure about..." then even later I'm like "guh, then there was that entire PS passage I did in like 90 seconds and guessed completely on at least half the questions...and then, you know, VERBAL..." then now I'm like "strange how I always think I rocked a practice test, then ended up like 2 points below where I predicted ... on every section, i.e. I predicted 33s on AAMCS 10 and 11 and got 29s... finally, I'm like "PLEASE GOD LET ME GET ABOVE A 30 I STOPPED STUDYING AND NEVER WANT TO PICK UP AN MCAT BOOK AGAIN"... On to secondaries *sigh*

I left the exam and felt AWFUL!!! I literally cried when I got home... and now the test is a huge blur to me! Now after reading SDN, I'm like "Well maybe I did get my average...?" 6 more days!

I left the exam and felt AWFUL!!! I literally cried when I got home... and now the test is a huge blur to me! Now after reading SDN, I'm like "Well maybe I did get my average...?" 6 more days!
Sometimes I feel like that but there are people who score below their averages or don't post because of their score either :/

Just got trial section email:

You answered 47% of questions correctly on the Trial Section which puts you in the top quarter as compared to others who received the same Trial Section questions as you.

Just got trial section email:

You answered 47% of questions correctly on the Trial Section which puts you in the top quarter as compared to others who received the same Trial Section questions as you.
And time to use it now before we get scores because it's just depressing to have to spend it on new MCAT books! kidding, we'll be fine.....

I feel like I might have to retake it. I think I missed atleast 17 physics question it feels and biology was awful for me
Don't beat yourself up when we don't know yet! Maybe you'll be surprised...
I felt awful coming out of the exam, but I'm not sure what that means lol

I dont even remember the test after taking it. I felt more confident in verbal which is my weakest
Tell me about it.
I literally remember nothing. So much for that confidence waiver we signed...I couldn't tell someone what was on it if I tired
I'm always like that with exams though

Tell me about it.
I literally remember nothing. So much for that confidence waiver we signed...I couldn't tell someone what was on it if I tired
I'm always like that with exams though
the worst part is my professor expect a decent score from me to write me a LOR

I got 47%/top quarter for the psychology trial section. That was the hardest freaking thing ever, I praaaaaaay to the good lord above that I NEVER have to take the new mcat. There were things on that trial section that I've never heard or seen of!

Has anyone been studying during the waiting month? Just in case if need to retake? I hid all my mcat stuff and haven't looked at anything once! I feel like I forgot everything...

I got 47%/top quarter for the psychology trial section. That was the hardest freaking thing ever, I praaaaaaay to the good lord above that I NEVER have to take the new mcat. There were things on that trial section that I've never heard or seen of!

Has anyone been studying during the waiting month? Just in case if need to retake? I hid all my mcat stuff and haven't looked at anything once! I feel like I forgot everything...
I havent at all

I havent at all
I honestly don't know how I'm going to find it in me to study again. I don't even know where I would start or what materials to use. I've literallllyyy used it all! From Kaplan,GS,tbr,TPR,EK,chads videos, I've used everything.

I'm already expecting the worse.

Does anyone feel they actually did well? Am I the only one praying for a generous curve?????

The sciences weren't too bad, but the verbal was more demanding than expected.
I honestly don't know how I'm going to find it in me to study again. I don't even know where I would start or what materials to use. I've literallllyyy used it all! From Kaplan,GS,tbr,TPR,EK,chads videos, I've used everything.

Does anyone feel they actually did well? Am I the only one praying for a generous curve?????

even if the preset scaling was generous . We still have to get the questions right :/

I feel the same
I have no idea how the exam went, but the thought of opening my MCAT books again is awful. I feel like I've effectively managed to forget everything I learned in the last month
I'm more nervous than I was for the exam...

I still haven't received my trial scores. Idk what that means but I'm freaking out that I may have accidentally voided the exam? I hope not!

I still haven't received my trial scores. Idk what that means but I'm freaking out that I may have accidentally voided the exam? I hope not!
I got mine yesterday, but seems like people only got the email if they scored high enough on the trial section to get a gift card. That's more likely than voiding I'd say!

If you remember doing the trial section, it is impossible for you to have voided. They only let you proceed to it once you select that you want your test scored.

I felt like I did really well on the trial section but they message me that I didn't seem to have good faith apparently... Now I am freaking out that my mcat scores will be really low

I've read some comments about not remembering any of the material on the test. But it's been the opposite for me. I can clearly remember most of the content for the bio/phys sections and they're haunting me... I remember a free standing question in bio that I felt was way too easy to be a question so i convinced myself that it was a trick question and didn't pick the obvious easy answer and I'm still beating myself over it!

Hate to sound so negative. But what's everyone's study plan in case of a retake? Just more practice questions/exams? I think I've done almost every test out there, even the old Amcas R paper versions. Is it pointless to redo exams???? I might just start over with content review. Ahhhhh!

Oh and just to think of the amount of money I've spent so far makes me cringe!

I need a job.
oh I know. I'm already worrying about what I'll do if I have to re-write. Although I've already done the aamc practice tests so I don't know what's left to even buy to study from...
I'm more scared now than I was before the exam. It's awful