**Official Class of 2021 Thread** !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol guilty of all this...my dad taught me how to drive by having me drive his Suburban during rush hour on the BQE (Brooklyn-Queens Expressway)..notorious for its traffic and chaos
Driving anywhere outside of NYC is like strolling on the beach

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Haha yup... I feel like there's ordered chaos in other big cities, people drive fast and aggressively, but there is at least some semblance of order and courtesy to other drivers. At least there is a good public transportation system!

Members don't see this ad.

Lol guilty of all this...my dad taught me how to drive by having me drive his Suburban during rush hour on the BQE (Brooklyn-Queens Expressway)..notorious for its traffic and chaos
Driving anywhere outside of NYC is like strolling on the beach

I swear the bqe lanes feel narrower compared to the rest of the world.

Reactions: 1 user
I drive all over LA and am pretty used to busy city driving, but I actually feared for my life driving in NYC. No one would let me merge or change lanes, people would legit try to run me off the road. :confused:
I think CA people are just more chill overall.

I'm so glad to avoid city traffic. Born and raised in a small town. Went to college in a small town and med school will be in a smaller city. I'm the guy who actually lets people in when they put on their blinker in traffic.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are two types of drivers: NY/NJ drivers, the rest.

I'm flying out to move to my new home for the next 4 years guyzzzz! Wish me and my cat luck on the flight!:cat:

Reactions: 21 users
I'm flying out to move to my new home for the next 4 years guyzzzz! Wish me and my cat luck on the flight!:cat:

Have fun. Wish I could take my cat to school.

Good luck, Dr. Kat!! I hope you and your kitty have a safe flight! :)

Good luck!! :):)
Have fun. Wish I could take my cat to school.

Good luck, Dr. Kat!! I hope you and your kitty have a safe flight! :)
Good luck!!!
My cat freaks out over a 1 hour car ride, so you had better give us an update on how it went after! Good luck!!
thank you guys!!!!! my heart is bursting with all the good wishes and love! my cat and I made it here just fine, he meowed and fussed a bit, but he did a great job overall! i'm just so proud of him. Now, I can sit back and relax a few weeks before school starts:headphone:
Alright early bird, I'll be there in three weeks!
woohoo! it's so cool to know you'll be my classmate and we both don't know who each other is!!!!:ninja:

Reactions: 7 users
thank you guys!!!!! my heart is bursting with all the good wishes and love! my cat and I made it here just fine, he meowed and fussed a bit, but he did a great job overall! i'm just so proud of him. Now, I can sit back and relax a few weeks before school starts:headphone:

woohoo! it's so cool to know you'll be my classmate and we both don't know who each other is!!!!:ninja:
Any pictures of kitty?:shy:

Members don't see this ad :)
Any pictures of kitty?:shy:
Ooo yes! I'd love to see kitty! In other news, I'll be making best friends with anyone who brings their four-legged friend to school

guys, i'm full grandma and I don't know how to post personal pics on SDN. it needs a URL:confused: eff that, don't even know wtf to do. sorry!

Reactions: 2 users
13 apartment tours in two days. I'm pooped and slightly frustrated since I had to be placed on a waitlist for my top 3 :(

guys, i'm full grandma and I don't know how to post personal pics on SDN. it needs a URL:confused: eff that, don't even know wtf to do. sorry!
no worries! I'm sure your kitty is very very cute (also stalked your moving with cat thread and got my dose of cuteness)

Can anybody help me pick an internet plan?

50 Mbps for $40/mo. Or 300Mbps for $60/mo. Or 1000Mbps for $80/mo.

I have no clue about how much I should have without going overboard. It'll be for two people in a 1 bedroom apartment.
The lowest speed is sufficient for everything you need. Including streaming.id pay 80 just for the privilege of having a gigabit connection.

I have no clue about how much I should have without going overboard. It'll be for two people in a 1 bedroom apartment.

The lowest speed is sufficient for everything you need. Including streaming.id pay 80 just for the privilege of having a gigabit connection.

Agreed. You would be just fine with the lowest speed. However, I would also pay the $80 to get the gigabit connection.

Cheapest for sure. I've been on 50 Mbps for a long time now and it's more than enough for casual internet usage and casual online gaming.

To those of you who will be relying on all loans to pay for living expenses, meaning you don't have much savings to pull from etc., what percentage of your total cost of living loan money will you be allocating towards rent? I'm trying to figure out a reasonable budget to see what I can afford in terms of living and I'm not real sure what a reasonable amount of rent compared to monthly loan income would be. I don't want to be scraping the barrel just to get by because I'd rather not have to deal with stressing out about the money since school will be enough to handle on its own.

To those of you who will be relying on all loans to pay for living expenses, meaning you don't have much savings to pull from etc., what percentage of your total cost of living loan money will you be allocating towards rent? I'm trying to figure out a reasonable budget to see what I can afford in terms of living and I'm not real sure what a reasonable amount of rent compared to monthly loan income would be. I don't want to be scraping the barrel just to get by because I'd rather not have to deal with stressing out about the money since school will be enough to handle on its own.
Lowest you can get it.

It depends on the city. In some cities, $2000 is cheap for rent and in other cities, you can get a good place for $800. Your school should have a COA sheet that outlines how much the average student pays for rent.

Lowest you can get it.

It depends on the city. In some cities, $2000 is cheap for rent and in other cities, you can get a good place for $800. Your school should have a COA sheet that outlines how much the average student pays for rent.

Agree with this, loans only stretch so far and you don't want to have rent eat up all your living money.

I agree with all of these, but I was just wondering what the usual percentage of monthly loan income to rent usually is, thats all. For example, in Miami (where I won't be attending but just an example), they gave like 27k a year for living expenses but the cheapest rent I could find even for a 3BR or 4BR was easily 1k+ but another school allotted like 24k a year and rent was roughly $650-750.

I agree with all of these, but I was just wondering what the usual percentage of monthly loan income to rent usually is, thats all. For example, in Miami (where I won't be attending but just an example), they gave like 27k a year for living expenses but the cheapest rent I could find even for a 3BR or 4BR was easily 1k+ but another school allotted like 24k a year and rent was roughly $650-750.
In higher COA areas they expect you to have roommates.

True life. I did feel a bit accomplished because i had a chance to get fitted for my white coat. everything else will fall into place eventually
What sort of baller school has fittings for white coats?

Reactions: 3 users
12 more days until I quit my job..

Reactions: 4 users
What sort of baller school has fittings for white coats?
Wait...How else would you know your size in the coat that they offer? I did a white coat fitting at my school of choice in April and then another one at the school I switched to after WL movement

Wait...How else would you know your size in the coat that they offer? I did a white coat fitting at my school of choice in April and then another one at the school I switched to after WL movement
You're suppose to go up a size from what you normally wear in a suit jacket. Usually the rule of thumb but going to get fitted is definitely a good way to go as well!

You're suppose to go up a size from what you normally wear in a suit jacket. Usually the rule of thumb but going to get fitted is definitely a good way to go as well!
Huh, interesting. All the sizes were like xs, s,m,l though, and were super oversized.

Huh, interesting. All the sizes were like xs, s,m,l though, and were super oversized.
Strange! The school I got accepted to and the one I got off the WL both went by 38,40,42, etc. like suits and there was an option of XL for really tall people

It's just a coat, they have dimensions in the description. IDK , seems a little ostentatious.

It's just a coat, they have dimensions in the description. IDK , seems a little ostentatious.
Yea, mine were just like xs, s or whatever, with no further description, maybe it's just the women's sizes :eyebrow:

That might be because you were at a fitting though. I had to order through my school and the sizes were just basic (XXS-4X), but they also had a sheet with measurements for each size. I am unsure about the size I got, but figure that I rarely see a well-fitting short white coat anyways so I'll blend in haha.

Edit to add- I'm jealous if your school has women's and men's sizing, ours were unisex.
Benefits of having your school local I guess :) and yea they don't really fit great either way, haha.
Though you could always get it tailored if it's really bad. And yea, I was so happy to see women's sizes!

That might be because you were at a fitting though. I had to order through my school and the sizes were just basic (XXS-4X), but they also had a sheet with measurements for each size. I am unsure about the size I got, but figure that I rarely see a well-fitting short white coat anyways so I'll blend in haha.

Edit to add- I'm jealous if your school has women's and men's sizing, ours were unisex.
They look terrible and never fit, plus every health profession wears them so they kinda lose all significance ( not that they had any real significance to begin with since it just signified getting into medical school). Im looking forward to when I won't have to wear them. #bringbacktheblackrobes

They look terrible and never fit, plus every health profession wears them so they kinda lose all significance ( not that they had any real significance to begin with since it just signified getting into medical school). Im looking forward to when I won't have to wear them. #bringbacktheblackrobes
#bringbacktheplaguemasks

il_340x270.911957761_8pz5.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
We were instructed to get them fitted at the local shop. So, I did haha. We also get our names and school emblem on them as well.

I was too tall for the women sizes, so it helped that I went in as well.

Hey friends! Remember how I tried to leverage a scholarship and failed? I reported that it didn't work too soon cuz it turns out it worked! My school called me today with the good news:soexcited: They matched the offer from the other school woo woo! Just thought I'd update you guys and reiterate that sending an email to leverage an offer from a different school works!

@tskiihii @Frogger27

Reactions: 11 users
Hey friends! Remember how I tried to leverage a scholarship and failed? I reported that it didn't work too soon cuz it turns out it worked! My school called me today with the good news:soexcited: They matched the offer from the other school woo woo! Just thought I'd update you guys and reiterate that sending an email to leverage an offer from a different school works!

@tskiihii @Frogger27
THATS AWESOME! Congrats.

@tskiihii @Frogger27
Congrats Dr. Kat.

A few months ago, I was accused of trying to sabotage you guys by asking you to leverage your offers for scholarships. So much so that I offered to prove I actually did it and it worked for me, and a whole bunch of people blocked me on its account. Do it guys. Contrary to that opinion, I wasn't trying to eliminate the competition or get your offers rescinded to get myself ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats Dr. Kat.

A few months ago, I was accused of trying to sabotage you guys by asking you to leverage your offers for scholarships. So much so that I had to prove I actually did it and it worked for me, and a whole bunch of people blocked me on its account, and that for the most part, is why I have basically stayed off SDN so a tiny part of me feels vindicated. Do it guys. Contrary to that opinion, I wasn't trying to eliminate the competition or get your offers rescinded to get myself ahead.
What the heck?o_O That displays how neurotic and vicious some premeds are. My mind didn't even go there...ppl are ridiculous. I'm not naive either. To convince someone to email their school to ask about a scholarship is not the route I'd go if I wanted to sabotage a group of ppl. That's just dumb. Anyways, I knew you were trying to help and you did. So, thank you :)

Reactions: 9 users
I was concerned after hearing all of your struggles with the immunization forms and Hep B titers. Not to brag y'all but my doctor said I am "very immune." ✌

Reactions: 6 users
I was concerned after hearing all of your struggles with the immunization forms and Hep B titers. Not to brag y'all but my doctor said I am "very immune." ✌
They keep on dumping vaccines in my bloodstream hoping to illicit a measurable response. Needless to say my body isnt responding.

They keep on dumping vaccines in my bloodstream hoping to illicit a measurable response. Needless to say my body isnt responding.
Ask them to just give you the HBV for real.

Reactions: 5 users
Totaled up my gas and insurance expenses for the upcoming year. Crying over here, all I can hope for is that my car that is older than me won't break down :dead: