**Official Class of 2021 Thread** !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally moving friends ... Flight is in 6 hours but I can't sleep. I start orientation Monday too. Going to be a wild ride ... lolol

Also, since we're actually students now and all, would anybody be down to have a group Facebook? I'm actually in the Class of 2018 and 2029 FB pages (since I reapplied three times ... lol) and they're actually really friendly with people sharing pdfs, etc. and just talking about med student life as well. Unless y'all want to be anonymous and all .... or unless there already is one that I don't know about... haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Finally moving friends ... Flight is in 6 hours but I can't sleep. I start orientation Monday too. Going to be a wild ride ... lolol

Also, since we're actually students now and all, would anybody be down to have a group Facebook? I'm actually in the Class of 2018 and 2029 FB pages (since I reapplied three times ... lol) and they're actually really friendly with people sharing pdfs, etc. and just talking about med student life as well. Unless y'all want to be anonymous and all .... or unless there already is one that I don't know about... haha

2029? How long do you plan on being in med school?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Sure, I'd be down. I'm on SDN less often as it is, compared to FB.

Congratulations to my colleagues starting school/orientation with me tomorrow across the country!!! I hope I get to meet some of you IRL one day :love:

Reactions: 2 users
Looking for some advice, I am trying to rearrange my workout schedule to accommodate school life. I'll be biking about 10-15 minutes to campus daily and during the week I plan on working out on campus. I am on the fence between morning or afternoon workouts.

Morning workouts: Usually give me a jump start energy wise, but I dread the process of actually getting up. I also hate having to shower at gyms because I am #lazy. Also I worry it will completely mess up my hair because I can't really just wash and go.
Afternoon workouts: I have a bad habit of using the "I had a long day" excuse to try and skip workouts or the instances where my day gets unexpectedly extended with additional responsibilities. I could bike home afterwards and shower there.

I don't know, there are so many pro's and con's I can't decide. Help?

Moving in the morning to my new town and then my new apartment the next day. I'm excited, but also nervous to start. It's finally happening.

Reactions: 4 users
Guys, I have my first med school exam this Monday!

Reactions: 7 users
Guys, I have my first med school exam this Monday!

Good luck!!!!!
c3448aa855956471d2b3112f7b9ab885--holes-movie-valentine-day-cards.jpg
"The first hole's the worst.
No, the second.
Actually, the third."

Reactions: 6 users
Road trip begins in 5 hours

Members don't see this ad :)
Orientation week kinda sucked but meeting fellow M1s kind of makes up for it. Actual classes start next week o jeez

Finished up first set of exams.passed, but they seriously want you to memorize a level of detail that is scary. Plus application of those details. No wonder people feel the need to study endless hours.

Reactions: 4 users
Finished up first set of exams.passed, but they seriously want you to memorize a level of detail that is scary. Plus application of those details. No wonder people feel the need to study endless hours.
Our first exams are coming up. I'm terrified. We're pass-fail, but I've never been more worried about that being a real concern (not "I only need 70!", but "I need 70!"). Already have higher hopes for next block, but realistically... ya... the depth+breadth we covered in 4 weeks has definitely been an interesting experience. Haha oh well!

Our first exams are coming up. I'm terrified. We're pass-fail, but I've never been more worried about that being a real concern (not "I only need 70!", but "I need 70!"). Already have higher hopes for next block, but realistically... ya... the depth+breadth we covered in 4 weeks has definitely been an interesting experience. Haha oh well!
when they are hosing you down with the powerpoints you think "they cant possibly expect us to memorize the minutia, they only want the concepts , right.. right? " and then when the exam comes... yeah they expect us to know every stupid word in the coursepacks. Stick in there, i barely broke an 80 on my anatomy exam and was in the mid 70's for my histo. I have never been a C student. So there was that adjustment.

Reactions: 3 users
when they are hosing you down with the powerpoints you think "they cant possibly expect us to memorize the minutia, they only want the concepts , right.. right? " and then when the exam comes... yeah they expect us to know every stupid word in the coursepacks. Stick in there, i barely broke an 80 on my anatomy exam and was in the mid 70's for my histo. I have never been a C student. So there was that adjustment.
I have absolutely no clue how people manage without anki. I go through like 300 new cards a day and 200-400 reviews. Half the time it’s just learning new words and names...or embryology where everything changes names about a thousand times

I have absolutely no clue how people manage without anki. I go through like 300 new cards a day and 200-400 reviews. Half the time it’s just learning new words and names...or embryology where everything changes names about a thousand times

I haven't tried Anki yet because I'm very much a visual learner... like i remember things based on what page they're on in my notes and where on the page it is lol. So I'm not sure if Anki would really help me because it would get rid of that... But I definitely want to try because I'm definitely getting bogged down and need a better way to self-quiz. So far taking notes has worked well but seems like I'm spending a lot more time on the first pass than my peers.

I haven't tried Anki yet because I'm very much a visual learner... like i remember things based on what page they're on in my notes and where on the page it is lol. So I'm not sure if Anki would really help me because it would get rid of that... But I definitely want to try because I'm definitely getting bogged down and need a better way to self-quiz. So far taking notes has worked well but seems like I'm spending a lot more time on the first pass than my peers.
I have been using anki for that purpose. Making image occlusion cards on anki allows me to copy entire netter's pages and obsecure the labels to quiz myself for anatomy. I feel like other flash card programs might be more beneficial for the purpose of quizing atleast.
I am on and off using anki just for brute memorization in anatomy as I described above. The problem that I have is I end up not using it when I am in a time crunch to go over the coursepacks. Plus large multipageg concepts are hard to put down in anki without making a billion cards. More power to you if you are generating 200+ cards a day.

Does anyone have any suggestions for embryo. I am having supreme difficulty visualizing the process since the names keep on changing every 30 seconds.

Does anyone have any suggestions for embryo. I am having supreme difficulty visualizing the process since the names keep on changing every 30 seconds.
I’m watching videos with sound and then without and narrating them out loud! Then quickly narrating the ppt out loud. This x3 + IO in anki has been more than enough.; Embryo is supposedly the hardest subject in our first block but I’ve managed to get 100s so far. The only thing I struggle with is visualizing different foldings.

I’ve also heard the developing human is a great textbook for embryology but I haven’t looked at it.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m watching videos with sound and then without and narrating them out loud! Then quickly narrating the ppt out loud. This x3 + IO in anki has been more than enough.; Embryo is supposedly the hardest subject in our first block but I’ve managed to get 100s so far. The only thing I struggle with is visualizing different foldings.

I’ve also heard the developing human is a great textbook for embryology but I haven’t looked at it.
This is an excellent idea about narrating the slides yourself, never even thought to do that.

How are you creating IO's for it? I guess I dont even know enough to efficiently make IO cards yet.

This is an excellent idea about narrating the slides yourself, never even thought to do that.

How are you creating IO's for it? I guess I dont even know enough to efficiently make IO cards yet.
Just copying pics of the ppt slides and blocking out labels. But I add some text for context like what week I’m looking at and what process I should be thinking about (e.g partitioning of the atrium). Then gyazo + copy image on my PC and click on IO or come+ctrl+shift+4 on Mac to copy to clipboard

Just copying pics of the ppt slides and blocking out labels. But I add some text for context like what week I’m looking at and what process I should be thinking about (e.g partitioning of the atrium). Then gyazo + copy image on my PC and click on IO or come+ctrl+shift+4 on Mac to copy to clipboard
why the gyazo instead of "windows+shift+s" to screen capture?

I'm only a few days into our opening unit of biochem/cell biology etc and I'm having a hard time knowing what is even worth learning. I'm glad the long weekend is coming for me to iron out how I'm going to approach studying in the future. I don't feel like we've had much to actually learn yet, and that doesn't feel right.

I'm only a few days into our opening unit of biochem/cell biology etc and I'm having a hard time knowing what is even worth learning. I'm glad the long weekend is coming for me to iron out how I'm going to approach studying in the future. I don't feel like we've had much to actually learn yet, and that doesn't feel right.

Everything. Every protein mentioned in passing, every interaction, every structure, unless you have NBME exams in which case crack open first aid or a review book to see what to focus on.

So jealous of all you P/F kiddos over here. Getting the worst grades of my life and can't help but compare them to my other classmates

I've been terrible about studying consistently. There's a buttload of info but so far understanding concepts rather than the exact name of every enzyme seems to yield better results for me.
First block exam in less than 2 weeks thought so we'll see.

Also just had first exam. Also started with anatomy but also surface physi, pharm, cardio, biostats, neoplasm, bla bla. Yay-_-

I have anki, but haven't used it for led school yet. I used it for MCAT and found it very helpful. Here, I don't really memorize facts in that way. Maybe next block.

Play 2x she quotes straight out from our book but more important any gives a clear timeline

Edit: forgot to add this isn't the first part

As week one ends, I'm starting to figure out my method for success. I've stopped going to lecture and instead view the podcast, which allows me to speed through easy stuff and take pauses for more challenging material. I feel like I learn more this way, and it also gives me greater control over my schedule. On weekends I will review everything from the week and reference first aid to see if there's anything we missed in lecture.

As week one ends, I'm starting to figure out my method for success. I've stopped going to lecture and instead view the podcast, which allows me to speed through easy stuff and take pauses for more challenging material. I feel like I learn more this way, and it also gives me greater control over my schedule. On weekends I will review everything from the week and reference first aid to see if there's anything we missed in lecture.

x2 video speed is a godsend. Now going to lecture feels like they are talking in slow motion. It's crazy.

Using Anki?

x2 video speed is a godsend. Now going to lecture feels like they are talking in slow motion. It's crazy.

Using Anki?

I got confused by the anki interface when I first tried it but I have a classmate who is feeling good with the Zanki deck. I might try it

I don't even have time to lurk on SDN now lol I studied a buttload and just got 75% on my quizzes. Thank god I'm at a P/F school :confused:

Head and Neck murdering anyone else yet?

At my school they have a nickname for kids like me who barely pass their first exams ,,,,, Future doctor ! P = MD baby !!!

On a side note I absolutely love my school I feel loved and supported, if I feel something is wrong all i need to do is write a email and its like a alarm bell goes off and help and support just keeps pouring in from the admin. I am shocked how bad some of the lecturers are and how much busy work there is but thats just a minor annoyance. I have reached a point where I start to forget how my life was before med school which is sad , but my class is very outgoing I have been partying at school alot more than I did in college and I have hobbies that I wont give up for anything (rather get 5% less in my exam than skip my inter-mural sports game). I have been in the best shape in my life hitting the gym twice a day and eating the healthiest I ever have in my life. It hasnt been all good I have been struggling alot and get super sad with all the stress and when I try and confide in my classmates alot of people are afraid to be as blunt as me when they are struggling so I kinda feel isolated in that aspect. Its been a mixed bag but I love where I am and if I had the choice I would choose this school again...

PS - aki been such a time suck it was a main culprit in me not doing so well in my first set of exams

You are in for a treat then.
tom-delonge-wtf1.gif
My reaction when sitting in lecture.
Took my chest and back MSK exam last week and thought med school ain't too bad.

Then we started axilla, brachium, forearm, and hand this week. Oh lawdy ... save me ....

In other news, received my white coat this past Friday! :D

Reactions: 3 users
Took my chest and back MSK exam last week and thought med school ain't too bad.

Then we started axilla, brachium, forearm, and hand this week. Oh lawdy ... save me ....

Thought the same thing last week until I drew it out on white board repeatedly until it stuck in my mind

I feel like this med school nonsense is a constant roller coaster of " hey I have a good handle of this" to "I HAVE NO IDEA WHATS HAPPENING"