Official: Harvard Extension School 2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Columbia22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so whos in?? Count me in, as long as i dont get off the 1 wait-list i am on

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in-just gotta find a roommate and job out there this summer!!!!!

Same here, need a job and a room....lemme know if you come across any good info MCole

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys-

Check out Brigham and Womens for job opps-- thats where I work and I seem to recall a lot of of post-bacs doing things here. Childrens is also good. Lots of researchers= a lot of lab tech, research asst jobs floating around.

Housing. Craigslist it. Also, housing will open up a little more come summertime, as people graduate, and others go off to residency, So maybe if you can hold out a bit, you might get lucky and grab someones room near Longwood/Main campus for a song. Good luck, feel free to ask away if you have other issues/questions.

Congratulations everyone!

I was just wondering what this Harvard Extension School is all about. Do you get a degree or is it a certificate granting program? Besides the Harvard name, I don't know what is so special with this program. I highly doubt Harvard SOM will accept anyone who has to take a postbac to raise their grades for medical school matriculation (even if they did attend the Harvard Extension School). I'm not trying to be rude or anything, just curious. So far I am set on going to GT SMP because I feel it is the best program out there.

Originally posted by premed
Congratulations everyone!

I was just wondering what this Harvard Extension School is all about. Do you get a degree or is it a certificate granting program? Besides the Harvard name, I don't know what is so special with this program. I highly doubt Harvard SOM will accept anyone who has to take a postbac to raise their grades for medical school matriculation (even if they did attend the Harvard Extension School). I'm not trying to be rude or anything, just curious. So far I am set on going to GT SMP because I feel it is the best program out there.

The extension school are for people who couldn't get their bachelors traditionally for whatever reasons(like financially hardships didn't allow them to go to college at 18, etc...). You can get a degree or certificate depending on the program that you apply. It is a night school. The postbacc premed is formally called the "Health Careers Program", which gets you a premed committe sponsorship letter and a diploma. It is one of the best known postbacc programs around here in Boston. My premed dean mentioned it as well as my postbacc director at my alma mater:eek:.

Check it out.
Harvard Extension School

Looks like a good program! The link that scooter left seems like a different program from the one that blankguy was talking about. It seems like scooter's link is for non-traditional premeds. Like people who majored in something non-science and now wants to go to medical school. I'll look into these programs more. Thanks!

Some clarification-

The certificate program is for non-trads looking for the pre-med stuff. 2 years = certificate and a committee letter.

You can do a la carte if you have a science background. No certificate, but you can get a letter as well. This was my path- I didnt need everything, just a class here and there, and an extra upper division class to boost the GPA and show I could "do the work" type thing.

Both groups of people take the same classes.

Hey,

All my roomates are gone and off to med school, if anyone has any interest I have a house to fill for Fall 04, 3 more people, right next to the law school. PM me for more info. Thanks.

is there an application you need to fill out? or do you just register for the courses and take whatever you need?

starkid said:
is there an application you need to fill out? or do you just register for the courses and take whatever you need?

Yes, there is an application. Email owen peterson and he mails it out to you.

What classes are you guys taking? Where you living? What's your story? :)

We should all def meet up sometime.

Definitely! I'm out there May 30 from CA! I'm sooooooooooo excited to get going. Now I just have to get to know the area ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
MCole said:
Definitely! I'm out there May 30 from CA! I'm sooooooooooo excited to get going. Now I just have to get to know the area ;)

Bump!

Any more folks headin up to HES?

MCole said:

Ohmygosh, I'm heading out there too from Cali on the same day (May 30)! Do you think we'll have any luck looking for places on Memorial Day? Which airline u taking?

Hi Cupcake_Queen! I looked on Craigslist Craigslist-Boston and posted myself as looking for a room and someone contacted me. I got a serious deal 1.3 miles from the school. Now, I just have to find a job. :luck:

I wound up taking Delta for 117.30. I know Jet Blue had some $99 internet deals too. Priceline has a one-way trip section as well which is where I found Delta's price. American Airlines had a similar price to Delta. I just took Delta for the miles :p

For jobs, look at www.partners.org, then go to the "careers" link. Lots of research/clinical research type jobs out there from what I've noticed, and mostly at Brigham and Womens and MGH. PM me or post more questions you would like answered- I just finished my 2nd year at HES and currently work at BWH, and I'd be more than happy to help anyone out with either class work or work related issues. Look forward to meeting you guys come the fall!

I've applied to Brigham & Women's, MGH, and Children's Hospital but from afar (CA)-though I did put my Somerville info all over my correspondence. I have yet to hear back after a month and I know I'm more than qualified for some of these positions I applied for. Did you send in a resume or just walk in with a resume and fill out an app? Also, how difficult was it for you to get into Brigham? You're the best for helping out!!! :thumbup:

MCole-

I basically used the shotgun approach w/ my resume. Like you, there were some things I was way overqualified for, and then some others, where they offered to give some OJT, but liked the breadth of my previous experiences. As of like, 2 days ago, I saw quite a few research positions on the Partners website. Take a look at that, and you may want to physically go into HR at some of these places as well. I didnt do that, but hey, it works in some situations. I am actually in the process of interviewing at various labs, if you want, I can give you contact info for these places as well. Oh, and look at NEMC as well- when I first moved here, I had a good response from them re: my resume.

So where are you in S'Ville? When I came out form the west coast, I lived in a house near Davis Square, going towards Tufts campus. Davis Square is fantastic. Alright, enough of the digression....

Again, PM or post if you think I can help any further (that goes for anyone else). Good luck, see you around! :thumbup:

Scooter31,

Yes, I would love the contact info!! :D

I'm off Mossland & Somerville by Porter Square. So excited! :p

Hey Bostonites :)

I will be moving up to the Cambridge area next week; I'm currently subletting but am looking for housing post-Aug1st; anyone looking for roommates?

I will also be taking classes at Harv-ext (O-Chem fun, yah); working at a Harvard affiliated hospital is a smart idea; their TAP (Tuition Assistance Program) can reimburse you and you will basically be taking classes for free.

Anyone wanna do a get together? I'm looking to meet some new and interesting people. :)

Cheers :luck:

omniatlas said:
Hey Bostonites :)

I will be moving up to the Cambridge area next week; I'm currently subletting but am looking for housing post-Aug1st; anyone looking for roommates?

I will also be taking classes at Harv-ext (O-Chem fun, yah); working at a Harvard affiliated hospital is a smart idea; their TAP (Tuition Assistance Program) can reimburse you and you will basically be taking classes for free.

Anyone wanna do a get together? I'm looking to meet some new and interesting people. :)

Cheers :luck:

Fantastic idea. All of this talk in other threads about get togethers and SDNers you've met, why not? A Boston/HES/SDN shindig. Maybe once we can get a consensus of who's here, when other's will be here, we can put a plan into action. Who's in?

I'm just curious...why are students so excited about the Harvard Extension program? As the name sounds...isn't it just taking upper level sciences courses through extension? Can't students do the same thing in any state unversity? I know you get a committee letter but I don't know what the big deal is?

scooter31 said:
Fantastic idea. All of this talk in other threads about get togethers and SDNers you've met, why not? A Boston/HES/SDN shindig. Maybe once we can get a consensus of who's here, when other's will be here, we can put a plan into action. Who's in?

I suggest we do a little bar-get together, maybe at John Harvard to start the year.

logo.gif

To our success!

omniatlas said:
I suggest we do a little bar-get together, maybe at John Harvard to start the year.

logo.gif

To our success!

damnit, i won't turn 21 til about a week after school starts :thumbdown:

but after that, it's all fair game :laugh:

John Harvard's? Sure, that'll work. May I also suggest Charlie's Kitchen and the Hong Kong, while we're at it, as sort of a post JH pit stop...

Dont worry Cap'n, there will be plenty of nights out on the town, come fall semester.

I'm in!!!

A Harp sounds great right now-off I go! :D :thumbup:

Alrighty! Here are the people interested:

MCole
Scooter31
CaptainJack02

If anyone else is interested, respond and we'll add you to the list!

We need a name for our great event....how about

HES FIESTA
COMING SOON!

MCole said:
I'm in!!!

A Harp sounds great right now-off I go! :D :thumbup:

Just curious....to all of you attending the Harvard Extension School this summer, what are your backgrounds? Why are you attending? GPA? Pre-Reqs?

Have any of you taken the MCAT and/or applied to Medical School yet?

Curious because I have just found out about this program and am interested but trying to figure out if moving from Texas to Boston is worth it for this program :)

Welcome aboard OpenIntro-

Form what I've gathered, most people in the program are either people with a non science background, making a career change, or people like me, who did something science related, decided medicine was the right fit for them later on in life, and are now taking classes to boost the GPA/ fill holes in the application in preparation for applying.

Nice mix of demographics, but there is a decent number of us californians in the program- even have a handful of foreign students.

As far as it fitting your needs, do a search on SDN and see what others have said about the program, and of course, ask away on this and other HES related threads. Its been a nice fit for me, but I am applying this coming cycle, so I have no idea how it will play into my chances of getting an acceptance just yet.

Best of luck in finding a program that suits your needs. :thumbup:

OpenIntro said:
Just curious....to all of you attending the Harvard Extension School this summer, what are your backgrounds? Why are you attending? GPA? Pre-Reqs?

Curious because I have just found out about this program and am interested but trying to figure out if moving from Texas to Boston is worth it for this program :)

I have family in the area, plus Boston rocks :) I'm missing a couple pre-reqs, I'm hoping to complete them by the end of the academic calender and then sit for the MCATs.

So, when do you guys want to do this get-together? :cool:

ahhh...so you are already IN the program....

How do you like it? How challenging is it? And as for med schools, is this program highly looked upon?

Judging by the fact that you moved from California, seems like you really were impressed with the program....are you looking at med schools on the east coast?

Open-

So far, so good with my HES experience. The classes are well taught, and are challenging. It has a good reputation for prepping you for med school, although as far as success stories I personally know of, I dont know. Although I do remember seeing someone at MSSM that went to HES on SDN, and I do remember a couple of people last year talking about interviews and such, so it seems like we do have a good amount of folks heading off to med school. As for me, I am looking all over at med schools, with USC and Case at the top of my list. I just took the MCAT, so thats going to really determine where I apply to.

Onmi, and for the little shin-dig, I'm available anytime. Although I htink the closer we have it to fall semester, the better, so everyone will be in town by then.

Hey guys. This is somewhat unrelated but what the heck. I was raised in MA, moved to CA and is likely to move back to MA for 1-2 semesters at Harvard Extension. Can I still apply to med school (the UCs) as a CA resident? Would it help if I limited my stay in Boston to < 1 year.

OpenIntro said:

I'm coming from Chapman U in Orange, CA, with a Bachelors in Psych (3.95). As for the pre-reqs, I only have one bio class under me along with a bunch of math/stats. I'm uprooting myself completely because of what a terrific deal (in more ways than one), going to HES is. Also, I fell in love with Boston six years ago when I visited my uncle while he was at Tufts med, and have always wanted to return.

Here's some inspiration-my uncle was a non-trad also. He never finished his Bachelors, but got into med school! He had 12 years as a paramedic under his belt and average MCAT scores. This was like 10-11 years ago though. I remember his graduation; the program listed everone as having gaduated with all these degrees, but his had AA. He's doing great now out here at St. Judes as a surgeon. VERY BUSY :thumbup:

Hello, Everyone,

Just last night we finished the last bio final and I am done with the program!
McCole, you are from my hometown; I moved from Anaheim two years ago for this program. Porter sq. is an excellent place but expensive.

At any rate, to satisfy all your concerns and questions, Harvard Extension Postbac program is designed for the people like me who have non-science bachelor's degrees (me: philosophy) and had not taken any required sciences before. If you maintain 3.0 and get 30 on the MCAT, you get sponsorship with $500 fee and a Premed diploma (I don't know what that is used for.) There are, however, all kinds of people: other health careers (dental, vet, PA, etc.), Harvard or MIT undergrads, so on and on.

I had the schedule they recommended: physics and chem first year; Bio and orgo second year. MCAT last April. And will be taking biochem next year. Some of my classmates followed different plan: physics-bio-chem first year; orgo and one other course second year. Some are more daring: physics-bio-chem first year; orgo summer. At first I felt disadvantaged, but later I saw how those that followed other plans got burnt out and sick of science courses. We all ended up applying the same year. So, I am glad I followed my plan because I had enough time to enjoy what I was learning and truly digest the information, and plus enjoy life. I also worked as TF for physics and next year may TF for chem as well if I have time. Well, some of you may end up being in my section. So, my theory: no need to rush through; do well in each course and truly learn and enjoy.

Some say this program is competitive. I say not really. But that's very subjective. So let me give you some objective facts. The number of class started out about 250. Toward the end of the first semester it dropped down to about 170. At the end of the first year 150. At the beginning of the second year, 100 or less of the original people but added by newly joined people you have about 150 total. Why? Many fail in the first two physics exam. Some even have trouble with gen chem due to algebra mental block (but gen chem is the easiest and the prof. Logan the best). From this trend, some figure physics must be the weeding process. Well, you are wrong. I need not mention about the universal horror of orgo. It's Bio. Taught by the undoubtly the best experienced prof. Fixsen who is also the head of the program, the first semester of Bio is probably the toughest bio course in the country. If you thought bio is the easiest since it's all about memorizing, you are wrong here. This bio is all about understanding. And for this reason it's the best prep for the MCAT. Class aveg on the first exam was around 55-60% if I remember correctly. You must have good background in gen chem and very good at applying concepts for the first semester; otherwise you will suffer. And many did and drop they did after the first semester. The class shrank to about one half in the second semester. Orgo this year was taught by a brand new teacher, a researcher from Harvard med. No math and easy concepts but the dry and boring and purposeless mechanism just drive you mad. Well, I love math and tough concepts being a philosopher, so had to struggle alot in this class. Don't worry, if you work hard at it, A is possible as it was for me.

Now you may feel intimidated, but no need. If you are truly dedicated and determined and are prepared to work hard, you can even get straight A in all 4 classes. We do have many ivy league grads and really smart people. But most are very kind and easy to get along and very cooperative. I had a wonderful study group made up of the top guys and we helped out and shared valuable info with many other study groups. So, my advice: get a good quality study group and don't be shy to ask around. I must say the friends I made here are very wonderful people. But of course there are few not so friendly ones. But just ignore them.

Few more details: physics give you all the old exams and all the helps you need. And the prof really try hard to make sure you not only do well but really enjoy the course. Gen chem has what's called "Logan Note" that you buy. That's all you need to know to get 100 on exams. Well, do read the text for concept questions. Bio gives one old exam and a study guide. But there are many other old exams floating around. If you get hold of them, study them as well. But don't expect the exam to have the exact same questions. Bottom line is Understand! Orgo had no old exams as the prof was new. But really he and his co-instructor are very helpful and friendly. Orgo is the only class I had to really study to get an A.

Are these courses useful for MCAT. Oh, yes, very much so. All of them are geared toward MCAT. Orgo on MCAT is so basic, so no need to worry about that. Bio and physics really prepare you for any kind of tricky questions. Thus I fared well on the April MCAT and the profs scheduled the courses in such a way to avoid exams near the MCAT day. I will find out soon how I did. I am in the process of applying now.

How many get matriculated out of this program? The annual rate is over 85%. Last year, for example, about 52 people were sponsored and about 50 got in. One of them was 40some mom with two teenage kids. This year I am told about 50 of us are applying. So I expect about the same matriculation rate. So, it is worth paying $500 for the sponsorship. Do people get into top 10 med schools if you are concerned about it? Oh, yes, many do.

So to sum it up, this is a very well designed, well structured program excellent for those dedicated people. It's cheap, too, compared to other quality postbac programs.

I think I wrote more than enough.
If you have any other questions in need of honest answers, just ask.

Curious Tom said:
Harvard Extension Postbac program is designed for the people like me who have non-science bachelor's degrees (me: philosophy) and had not taken any required sciences before.

So HES is NOT for Science majors (I have a BS in Bio and Chem Minor) who are looking to retake science courses in order to boost the grades in those classes, as well as refresh on the sciences (since I graduated in '02)?

Open-

The thrust of the certificate program is for career changers to get all of their pre-reqs satisfied. If you have your science courses pretty much locked up (like myself, and you as well by the looks of it), you have the option to do courses a la carte, outside of the realm of the official program. You are also privvy to their LOR service, but no sponsorship, etc is available.

Nice post by the way Curious Tom! Glad to see more SoCal'ers around these parts (Irvine myself) :thumbup:

scooter31 said:
Open-

The thrust of the certificate program is for career changers to get all of their pre-reqs satisfied. If you have your science courses pretty much locked up (like myself, and you as well by the looks of it), you have the option to do courses a la carte, outside of the realm of the official program. You are also privvy to their LOR service, but no sponsorship, etc is available.

Nice post by the way Curious Tom! Glad to see more SoCal'ers around these parts (Irvine myself) :thumbup:

agreed. i didn't take much by way of science during undergrad, but started my post-bac prior to moving to boston, which meant i wasn't elligible for the sponsorship. i took several classes at HES though (along with other places) and got an LOR from a prof there.
HES is definitely a cheaper option than other boston schools if you're not a mass resident (though UMASS does reasonably priced summer courses for non residents).

Curious Tom's post is a nice description. i didn't take bio or gen chem there, but i heard they were excellent (albeit challenging) courses.

there was a new orgo prof this year--i assume he is staying next year (?)

though i wasn't part of the "program" i did meet a fair number of people there and found nearly all of them to be incredibly intelligent, interesting and compassionate. most of us were happy to help each other when necessary and it wasn't a horrible gunner atmopshere, despite the fact that most people are extremely bright. it is challenging and i found it very helpful to have others to commiserate with.

happy to answer specfic PMs, though i'm not as versed on the certificate aspect i did take classes there (orgo and physics), did okay on the mcat and will happily be starting med school in the fall! (all my :love: to P&S) good luck! :)

scooter31 said:
Open-

Irvine here! Leaving on Saturday though :D

MCole said:
Irvine here! Leaving on Saturday though :D

Mcole-
did u arrive in boston OK? how is it? What's the plan?

Yah, did you end up getting a job at BWH or CHB? I think they don't give out positions to folks who aren't alrady in boston. lemme know how that goes.

cheers
captjack

*edit* forgot to ask, hows the weather up there? is it tolerable?? :)

CaptainJack02 said:
Mcole-
did u arrive in boston OK? how is it? What's the plan?

Yah, did you end up getting a job at BWH or CHB? I think they don't give out positions to folks who aren't alrady in boston. lemme know how that goes.

cheers
captjack

*edit* forgot to ask, hows the weather up there? is it tolerable?? :)

McCole, hope you are safely in Boston now. When are we all gettin' together? JHH, I presume...

jbn

The weather sucks.

As far as our meeting at Johnny H's, any ideas are welcome- maybe before summer school starts, and then another one when people start piling in for the fall?

Yep, I made it!!! I LOVE it here except for the second floor tenants upstairs-OMG! Noise, noise, noise.

But I've been taking some time to get to know the area. As for jobs, I posted myself on Craigslist and low and behold, a doctor in Cambridge wants to speak w/ me. He's really interested because he too did the post-bac way :luck:

I'll be back-I'm at the librabry and my internet time is about to expire. :laugh:

HES-ers,

I thought the extension school does not have summer classes...Is that true?

When do fall classes start?

Is it difficult to enroll in classes or do they have virtually unlimited seats available? If difficult, when does one need to enroll to feel comfortable about being able to get in?

Thanks a lot,
chasmo

chasmo said:
HES-ers,

I thought the extension school does not have summer classes...Is that true?

When do fall classes start?

Is it difficult to enroll in classes or do they have virtually unlimited seats available? If difficult, when does one need to enroll to feel comfortable about being able to get in?

Thanks a lot,
chasmo

hey Chasmo
there are summer classes available at harvard, but i think technically they are a separate entity from the extension school
they sure cost a hell of a lot more.

the fall courses are pretty big--i don't think you'll have a problem enrolling whenever you want. i will have to check on the exact start date of courses this fall and get back to you, but i think it is in september.

edit:
here's the schedule
Fall Term: Sept. 20, 2004-Jan. 24, 2005

Registration begins
Extension School degree candidates (online only) Aug. 18
Extension School cert. and diploma candidates (online only) Aug. 19
All students Aug. 23
Classes begin Sept. 20
Registration ends Sept. 26
Late registration with $50 late fee Sept. 27-Oct. 3
Course and credit status changes Aug. 23-Oct. 3
Withdrawal for full-tuition refund Aug. 23-Oct. 3
Withdrawal for half-tuition refund Oct. 4-Oct. 11
Withdrawal for no tuition refund credit students receive a WD grade
Oct. 12-Dec. 5

Classes resume after winter break Jan. 3
Examination period Jan. 10-12, Jan. 18-24
Grades available online beginning Feb. 9
Last day to make up EXT grades
with instructor's permission; instructor may set earlier date March 4

i found this at http://www.extension.harvard.edu/2004-05/register/default.jsp;jsessionid=IPHLNBAIJMFF

good luck
n

Harvard Summer Session is a separate entity from HES, if I remember, and is a good deal more pricey than HES courses. Also, it has a more traditional class schedule, in that you'll have mostly morning classes and labs. I dont remember how long the sessions last, but I'm guessing its set up like most schools, where youre in class 4 days/week for 3+ hours for 6+ weeks. I had a buddy do OChem over the summer, and he said the schedule is hell, esp if youre working.

As far as HES classes, you wont have a problem getting a seat whenever you register. All of the pre-req-esque courses are unlimited seating, and I had no problem getting into the more obscure, smaller sized upper division courses, even a week before the first day of class.

Does anyone know when the deadline to apply for Fall 2004 admission is? Also, is this program only for those who have not completed any of their prereqs? I have completed Physics I,II, Calc I,II, English I,II, and Chem I,II. I need to complete Bio I,II and OChem I,II. Have I completed too much to apply to the program? Sorry if this was covered already. Thanks.

starkid said:
Does anyone know when the deadline to apply for Fall 2004 admission is? Also, is this program only for those who have not completed any of their prereqs? I have completed Physics I,II, Calc I,II, English I,II, and Chem I,II. I need to complete Bio I,II and OChem I,II. Have I completed too much to apply to the program? Sorry if this was covered already. Thanks.

Dunno when the dealine is, but I can help you with your other query.

I was in the same boat as you, only needing a couple of pre-reqs to finish up, and wanting to take more undergrad courses to boost the GPA. You can take the classes a la carte w/o being officially in the certificate program. The program is designed for people who have yet to do any or very little of the relevant pre-med coursework necessary for applying.

scooter31 said:
Dunno when the dealine is, but I can help you with your other query.

You can take the classes a la carte w/o being officially in the certificate program.

So I would just register for the courses I need (as a non-matriculating student) and ask for a recommendation at the end?