Official: Harvard Extension School 2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
id like to hear this one too, i bet i have way more w's than you, average is well above 3.0, i sent my app out on feb 7[/QUOTE]

can you beat 3? what was your gpa if you don't mind sharing?

Members don't see this ad.

can you beat 3? what was your gpa if you don't mind sharing?[/QUOTE]

3.6 sci, 3.31 non-sci, psu

morb- my apologies, i didnt mean, "can you beat a 3.0" i meant w's :) :) :) good luck on HES.

Members don't see this ad :)
the number itself is unimportant and ive never actually calculated it, or indeed, wanted to know it, suffice to say its astronomical

id be pretty surprised if i get accepted, and worried that it will come back to haunt me even if they did, come medical school app time

im in such limbo right now, i sent the HES app out on the 7th, i hate to call and ask if they got it, maybe i should fill out this PSU post bacc pre med app out, and throw myself on the mercy of the faculty senate, i was a ****ing cash cow at that joint

I don't think the W's are going to matter as much as you think. As long as there is a good reason for them to be there, and your numbers are otherwise good, med schools will look at you, and so will HES.

I have a few questions for those who are in the HES post bac program.

- Do you volunteer? Where? And for how many hours per week?

- On average, what do you pay per month for rent?

- How many classes are you taking?

- Are you working? If so, how many hours per week?

hbyrne1206 said:

Hey bump the 2005 thread

hbyrne1206 said:

- I volunteer at B&W a couple of hours a week.

- I pay 563.50 for rent, heat included. This is highly atypical, but if you look around and don't mind tight spaces, it can be done. Expect to pay ~ 6-700 to live with roommates, ~8-900 for an average studio, and ~1000+ for your own one bedroom place.

- I took 2 classes at a time, for 2 years.

- I work full time 35-40 hpw. In a research lab at Children's Hospital. Research jobs are awesome because they are often more time flexible than other positions.

twicetenturns said:
-

- I pay 563.50 for rent, heat included. This is highly atypical, but if you look around and don't mind tight spaces, it can be done. Expect to pay ~ 6-700 to live with roommates, ~8-900 for an average studio, and ~1000+ for your own one bedroom place.

QUOTE]

What area did you live in? I want to live close but as reasonably priced as possible, quiet is also good. My wife is visiting boston with her parents in a couple weeks.

Im warming to the idea of going without acceptance, if it comes to that, i sent my app out on the 7th and the check hasnt been cashed yet.

Why not call or e-mail Dr. Fixen to see the status of your application? It's possible it was never recieved, or their response was lost with the high volume of mail they must receive. My application was in on the 14th, still no word. If I dont hear by next week I'm calling also.

Morb said:
twicetenturns said:
-

QUOTE]

What area did you live in? I want to live close but as reasonably priced as possible, quiet is also good. My wife is visiting boston with her parents in a couple weeks.

Im warming to the idea of going without acceptance, if it comes to that, i sent my app out on the 7th and the check hasnt been cashed yet.

Im warming to the idea of going without acceptance, if it comes to that, i sent my app out on the 7th and the check hasnt been cashed yet.[/QUOTE]

I live in the Fenway area, walking distance to the med school. Great for work at Children's. Fenway has a number of 1Br splits, which are tight but economical.

twicetenturns said:
I live in the Fenway area, walking distance to the med school. Great for work at Children's. Fenway has a number of 1Br splits, which are tight but economical.

how close (or is it a separate entity?) is HES to Harvard? do you have any links to maps of the area/school?

thx

Morb said:
how close (or is it a separate entity?) is HES to Harvard? do you have any links to maps of the area/school?

thx
The HES science classes are all given in the regular Harvard U Science Center. i.e it is on the undergrad campus in Cambridge, not over near the med school/hospitals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Law2Doc said:
The HES science classes are all given in the regular Harvard U Science Center. i.e it is on the undergrad campus in Cambridge, not over near the med school/hospitals.

How difficult is it to get into the HES HCP program?

Not difficult at all, although they do send "warning" letters out to people with lower GPA's to try and disuade them from going. I hear that the hard part is completing the program.

I just called the Health Careers Program, and they are sending me my acceptance letter next week! :D

Thanks to all who answered the questions that got me here. Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you guys in September.

Are any of you doing advance prep for classes in the Fall? If so, what?

Jon

jonathani1 said:
I just called the Health Careers Program, and they are sending me my acceptance letter next week! :D

Thanks to all who answered the questions that got me here. Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you guys in September.

Are any of you doing advance prep for classes in the Fall? If so, what?

Jon

Congrats..come over to the 2005 thread!

Hey guys, I've just come to the realization that I won't be getting into a med school this year, my 36 mcat was not enough to make up for my 3.1 science GPA. However I was accepted to Boston Univ Pub health. I plan on going there and I also applied to their post bac program. What I'm wondering is would it be possible to do the pub health and also take the extension courses at Harvard? I have no clue as to how far the schools are from one another and other logistical issues. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.

Hey, I'm a little confused, how can HES health careers program, which is the same as a post bacc pre med program, right, have such good classes and be so cheap? Maybe I'm missing something, but the app fee is $100...

piebruin said:
Hey guys, I've just come to the realization that I won't be getting into a med school this year, my 36 mcat was not enough to make up for my 3.1 science GPA. However I was accepted to Boston Univ Pub health. I plan on going there and I also applied to their post bac program. What I'm wondering is would it be possible to do the pub health and also take the extension courses at Harvard? I have no clue as to how far the schools are from one another and other logistical issues. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.

All of the HES science classes are given during the evening around 6-9pm or 7:30-9:30 pm. But the rigor of doing a MS and classes at the extension school may be exceptional.

Good luck

Exgiente :luck:

piebruin said:

Hi,
You can check out the Fall 05 course schedule for BU School of Public Health at this link: http://www.bu.edu/studentlink
Go to Academics, Click on University Class Schedule, and select Fall 05 and SPH as the college. Click Go and the schedule should come up. A lot of classes are offered in the evenings, but there are also some day classes.

The Harvard schedule for Fall 05 is not out yet, but most of the classes start at 5 or 6.

You can get to Harvard fairly quickly from BU SPH by walking down to Mass Ave and taking one of the 1 buses to Harvard Square. I'd say maybe 30 minutes, 40 max. BUMC is at the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue and Harrison Avenue, if you want to plug that into mapquest or yahoo to get some maps with the exact distance and travel times.

PM me if you like, I'm doing post-bac at BU (not the SMP though, just courses a la carte).

OK-

I received my undergrad here, and there are a few things to remember:

1) living in areas where schools are the primary focus is incredibly expensive. If you would like to live anywhere around Harvard, Northeastern (inc. the Harvard Med Campus), BU, or BC, you will pay AT LEAST $600 per bedroom. Living near those areas, or in areas that are easily accessible by the T, you can drastically cut down on the price of housing. My first two apartments near Northeastern cost me $600/mo. After learning the area, I moved to Jackson Sq. in Jamaica Plain, my first place cost $375/mo, bearing in mind that it was a three bed we converted to a four bed, my current apartment is $435/mo and is a very large 4 bed with hardwood floors, etc. right next door to my old apartment. It takes me about five minutes to walk to the Orange line, which equates to a ten minute commute to my old University. Of course, it’s quite a bit farther to Harvard, but more on that in a minute.
2) Public transportation here is pretty good. Harvard is on the Red Line, the 66, the 1, and several other bus lines, so getting there is little trouble from anywhere in either Boston or Cambridge. Forget about a car, particularly if you’re going to try parking in Harvard Square, you’re more likely to find bin Laden than a parking spot.
3) I’ve seen a few posts about getting from BMC (Boston Medical Center/BU School of Medicine) to Harvard. The #1 stops right in front of BMC and will drop you off at Harvard ~30 mins later. I'm taking a class there and work in ID at BMC, so I do it regularly.
4) boston.craigslist.org. Use it at your own risk. There are a lot of college students (aka some students that prefer the bottle to the book), and there are a lot of horror stories out there. Try to make a relationship with someone here, or try to make a connection with someone who already lives in the area, this isn't a situation you want to go into blindly. I know a lot of people who've gone into roomate hunting with the "c'mon, I'm pretty easy going" mentality. When you're studying for your Consitutional Law final and 40 people walk through the door with 2 kegs, you'll throw your philosphy out the window like a politician does his wedding vows. Make absolutely sure those you're living with understand what you're trying to do and also have similar goals.
5) have fun. Boston's an amazing city for 20-somethings. It probably has the largest concentration of your demographic of any metro area in the world, enjoy it. Remember that part of what you'll have to go through is interviews, and just like a boring interviewee is never called back for a job, you have to be more than a brain, you have to have humanity, stories to tell, and the ability to connect with people from all backgrounds, and that's something that books can't give you, but the city can.

So there's my 2c. Boston's been a phenomenal city to me for the last 6 years, and I'm glad to call it home (and my employer). Anyway, I'll probably see some of you in the fall, best of luck.

-James

Does anyone know if you have to be accepted to the HCP to get a sponsorship or can you just take classes or finish up one of the other diplomas, certificates, graduate work (as long as you attain the required 20 credits worth of medical science courses if your ugrad is 3.2gpa, etc. requirement)?

Also, has anyone looked into the Master of Liberal Arts program that can be completed through HES? Would anyone recommend completing this versus a diploma from HCP or just taking post-bacc courses? :)

Hey HES folks,

As one of the elders (35, wife, two kiddos) I was thinking that I might throw a little shin-dig towards the end of the summer as a kick-off/get-to-know-your-lab-partner party at our house in Jamaica Plain. We have a nice yard, barbecue, and a lot of cool places to walk and explore your new chosen city.

Some folks are relocating and some folks are already here so I was thinking that the locals could enrich the transplants with the benefit of their knowledge (I've been in Boston since 1989). Moreover, some folks have been down the post-bacc road a bit and some other folks are brand new; it might really helps our collective group to share experiences and question assumptions.

If anyone is interested I was thinking end of August (after my algebra class concludes) with folks bringing the elixir of their choice or a favorite snack with burgers (the cow and the veggie kind), chicken, dogs (the pig and the turkey kind) provided by your gracious host, ockhamsRzr!

My two little boys will be happy to entertain the masses by competing for toys and playing with the hose (terrible parent I am).

Let me know what you guys think before the days get too short and the nights get too damn cold!

ockham

Sounds great to me. Rob (BOBL99) was planning something similar too. Maybe we should bump the 2005 thread and not confuse anyone.

Sundarban1 said:
Sounds great to me. Rob (BOBL99) was planning something similar too. Maybe we should bump the 2005 thread and not confuse anyone.

This sounds like a fantastic idea; count me in! I cannot wait for my summer of Calculus I and II hell to end. Keep me posted!

BobLJ99 said:
This sounds like a fantastic idea; count me in! I cannot wait for my summer of Calculus I and II hell to end. Keep me posted!

Cool. Sorry Bob, didn't mean to step on any toes. Good luck with Calc.

Hi guys,
I've decided to apply to the HES program for this coming fall (I know, it's getting late), and have a couple of questions about applying and the program itself. 1) Is the application process a competitive one like those at Tufts, Columbia etc, or is the Health Careers Program open enrollment? 2) I'd most like to do the Premedical Studies degree option mentioned on the website...is this the same application process as the Health Careers Program, or does it require something additional? 3) Does anyone know the acceptance rate of students to med programs? or the attrition rate from HES? Thanks in advance for any info you can pass on...Hope to see you all in September. Ben

A get-together before school sounds fun! Bob, I feel your pain- I ended up auditing my Calculus class that I took this summer- five years is too many since my last math class!! Guess I'll have to take Calc again...

FYI guys there is a more recent 2005 thread along with this thread that answers all your questions about HES. To not confuse people you may want to post in the 2005 thread.

hi,

could any of you who started HES this past year (or before) tell me what the class schedule is like? I can see from past schedules when the lectures were, but when were your labs? were there many options for different lab sections? were they in the evenings? any on fridays/weekends? how long were they?

thanks in advance!

e

Right, so if you checked the 2005 thread insted of the 2004 thread you would have read that the lab times vary and that the schedule does not come out until August.

hey hey now, i read the 2005 thread as well. i posted there also, as i have posted there several times. no need for panty-bunching. just was looking for specifics :)