Official: Harvard Extension School 2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
mhondy said:
Why did ockham say the HCP budget was ~$10,500 per term? I figured it was 800/class, but his post confused me.

They may make the following assumptions with reagrds to the 10K sticker price:

Fulltime spring and fall.
At least part time in the summer.

Summer session is a whole different ballgame when it comes to tuition; classes are doubled in price (at least) come summer sessions. Also, it may be an OVERALL cost (perhaps?), for the entire program spanning 2 years. Those are my guesses; I never paid more than 1500/semester for 2 classes, I promise you that. I never took summer session, so I cant couch for prices for those classes in that session...

Members don't see this ad.

scooter31 said:
They may make the following assumptions with reagrds to the 10K sticker price:

Fulltime spring and fall.
At least part time in the summer.

Summer session is a whole different ballgame when it comes to tuition; classes are doubled in price (at least) come summer sessions. Also, it may be an OVERALL cost (perhaps?), for the entire program spanning 2 years. Those are my guesses; I never paid more than 1500/semester for 2 classes, I promise you that. I never took summer session, so I cant couch for prices for those classes in that session...

thanks for the info. i'm currently trying to figure out my best options. i live in nyc, and would like to stay here. considering columbia ($$$!!), hunter and harvard. any thoughts/comparisons/info you can add? thanks for your help.

mhondy said:
Why did ockham say the HCP budget was ~$10,500 per term? I figured it was 800/class, but his post confused me.

This budget is right out of the extension school's handbook (which includes Health Careers Program). Note that I said "budget" and not "cost".

Like all financial aid, they assume a budget to determine eligibility and amount of aid. In the case of Harvard Extension they assume per term expenses of:

$5052 for housing
$1750 for board
$584 for books and suuplies
$1271 for personal
$292 for transportation

If you then add 2 $800 classes per term (the suggested route for post-bacc'ers) you get a total per term cost of $10,549. That number is what is used to calculate your "aid eligibility" becasue that's the number that HES considers the real cost per term of going there.

There are then other factors that determine YOUR eligibility to get the max stafford loans for a 5th year u-grad (what you'd be as a post-baccer) such as whether you are dependent or independent, your total loans to date, your credit load, how much money you made the previous year, etc (all the federal stuff). As I mentioned the max stafford per TERM is $5250 (but only for 12 consecutive months!!). Since the total cost of the program is more than that, HES certifies an amount that you can borrow from another private lender (in Mass it's usually MEFA, but you can choose anyone, like TERI or KEY).

What the budget essentially means is that assuming you qualify for max financial aid per term for three consecutive terms (summer, fall, spring over 12 months), then Harvard finaid would give you $5250 per term in stafford (half sub'd half unsub'd) and would certify you for bascially another $5250 through a private lender. So, for three straight terms you could get a total of ~$31,000. After 12 months you can no longer get staffords so the cost is either all private loans or you pay out of pocket.

In terms of finishing the program in that time you would need to take 1 - 8 credit class over the summer, then 3 - 4 credit classes in the fall and spring...a heavy load unless you're not working or volunteering. I am still going back and forth with this schedule...bascially it would be Chem1&2 this summer and then bio/orgo/physics in the fall and spring...don't know if I can pull it off yet.

This is all kinda basic financial aid stuff from U-grad...you need to fill out your FAFSA as the absolute first step in the process and send your SAR to HArvard extension.

Any questions you should call HES financial aid at 617-495-2921...they are very helpful.

OckhamsRzr

Members don't see this ad :)
mhondy said:
thanks for the info. i'm currently trying to figure out my best options. i live in nyc, and would like to stay here. considering columbia ($$$!!), hunter and harvard. any thoughts/comparisons/info you can add? thanks for your help.

Columbia is pricey, and I've heard some disconcerting things about the program and how its run. Whats rumour and whats truth is beyond me...I have no idea about Hunter.

Both the NYC programs youve noted are fulltime programs with high success rates. They are both pricey, and a brain drain; I hear that you shouldnt plan on doing anything other than studying in those programs.

Harvards is a bit low key; I did it part time and worked full time, and got to pursue other interests. Its cheaper, and there isnt as much competition amongst your peers. Also, it seemed like a lot of my classmates (as well as myself) were able to volunteer, do research on top of classes, so I think in place of rigor, there is an emphasis to allow you to complete the program at a steadier pace and let you take advantage of the things Boston has to offer academia-wise; I guess its a matter of how fast you want to complete the program and how much youre willing to fork over when deciding.

If you like Boston and want to move but want a program similar to CU's, look at Tufts. I knew a couple of folks in the program and really enjoyed it. Good professors, good counseling, and youre done in a year. You will pay a pretty penny though; also you have a linkage (with a DO school) and an unofficial advantage when/if you apply to TUSM.

Best of luck, and dont be afraid to do things a la carte at a local school--- just get good grades no matter where you end up, and youre golden!

:thumbup:

ockhamsRzr said:
This budget is right out of the extension school's handbook (which includes Health Careers Program). Note that I said "budget" and not "cost".

Like all financial aid, they assume a budget to determine eligibility and amount of aid. In the case of Harvard Extension they assume per term expenses of:

$5052 for housing
$1750 for board
$584 for books and suuplies
$1271 for personal
$292 for transportation

If you then add 2 $800 classes per term (the suggested route for post-bacc'ers) you get a total per term cost of $10,549. That number is what is used to calculate your "aid eligibility" becasue that's the number that HES considers the real cost per term of going there.

There are then other factors that determine YOUR eligibility to get the max stafford loans for a 5th year u-grad (what you'd be as a post-baccer) such as whether you are dependent or independent, your total loans to date, your credit load, how much money you made the previous year, etc (all the federal stuff). As I mentioned the max stafford per TERM is $5250 (but only for 12 consecutive months!!). Since the total cost of the program is more than that, HES certifies an amount that you can borrow from another private lender (in Mass it's usually MEFA, but you can choose anyone, like TERI or KEY).

This is all kinda basic financial aid stuff from U-grad...you need to fill out your FAFSA as the absolute first step in the process and send your SAR to HArvard extension.

Any questions you should call HES financial aid at 617-495-2921...they are very helpful.

OckhamsRzr

thanks for the clarification!

mhondy said:
thanks for the clarification!

Just added a bit more if you want to get a better picture of total aid and timelines.

No prob...good luck

Ockham

ockhamsRzr said:
Got my trusty HCP handbook right here (straight from page 6):

To receive aid during the summer 2005 term:
-->submit FAFSA or Federal Renewal Application by February 11, 2005
-->complete and submit all materials to the Financial Aid Office by March 11, 2005
--> be admitted to Health Careers Program

Students meeting this deadline may expect to receive award letters after April 8, 2005

Hope that helps...the max stafford is $5250 per term (three terms per year) for 12 conseutive months. The HCP financial aid budget per term is $10,549 assuming you take 8 credits (which is required per term for federal aid).

So, Only students in the HCP program get financial aid? I'm confused now? What if you don't qualify for the HCP due to taking the pre reqs in college?

Confused,

Exigente :confused:

So, Only students in the HCP program get financial aid? I'm confused now? What if you don't qualify for the HCP due to taking the pre reqs in college?
:[/QUOTE]

if you've already taken any of the pre-reqs in college, you don't quality for the diploma in premedical studies, but you can still be in the health careers program. the health careers program is a mechanism by which you can apply to med school with sponsorship from HES.

bstone,

out of curiosity, say I took a dump course called "elementary physics" as an undergrad and that was it in terms of any science courses. Would something as minimal as that exclude me from the diploma option? I see that the physics courses at Harvard are mechanics and electricity and magnetism. I had the same option to take these as an undergrad, but took the elementary class as I was on a totally different path way back then and I was told that this class was nothing, which it was. Any input is appreciated.

exigente chica said:

Confused,

Exigente :confused:

Chica here's how it works: think of Harvard Extension as three separate paths. You have Harvard Extension School (HES), the Health Careers Program program at HES (HCP at HES), and the diploma option at HCP at HES.

1. HES - Anyone can walk in off the street pay $800 and take any course. There is no application, no advising, no sponsorship if you pursue your pre-reqs a la carte...and NO financial aid is available for this option.

2. HCP at HES - You have to apply for this program and be accepted (generally considered very easy to get in). You can have already completed any number of pre-reqs at other places, but HCP requires FOR SPONSORSHIP that you take a minimum number of credits based on your u-grad GPA (eg. 3.2 and above need to take 20 credits; 3.0-3.2 must take 24 credits; 2.8-3.0 must complete 28 credits; below 2.8 must take 32 credits). These credits can be basic pre-reqs or upper division classes. Now, if you don't care about Harvard's sponsorship letter, you can still enroll in any classes and as long as you take 8 credits per term, YOU CAN GET FINANCIAL AID.

3. HCP Diploma at HES - This is the same as #2 except in order to be elegible for the diploma you cannot have taken any pre-reqs anywhere else. That's the only difference between the Diploma option and the standard HCP path. Both require an application and acceptance, both offer financial aid, both will qualify you for sponsorship if you desire (not sure why you wouldn't) EXCEPT to get the diploma you need to be a pre-req virgin. The only additional nenefit of being in the diploma option is that you get a Harvard ID and all the benefits of other Harvard students: libraries, sports facilites, etc.

So that's the skinny...straight from the HCP brochure sitting on my kitchen table. I recommend you call the HCP office and request the brochure and the app; it's all very well explained and straight-forward. - 617-495-2926

OckhamsRzr

ockhamsRzr said:
2. HCP at HES - You have to apply for this program and be accepted (generally considered very easy to get in). You can have already completed any number of pre-reqs at other places, but HCP requires FOR SPONSORSHIP that you take a minimum number of credits based on your u-grad GPA (eg. 3.2 and above need to take 20 credits; 3.0-3.2 must take 24 credits; 2.8-3.0 must complete 28 credits; below 2.8 must take 32 credits). These credits can be basic pre-reqs or upper division classes. Now, if you don't care about Harvard's sponsorship letter, you can still enroll in any classes and as long as you take 8 credits per term, YOU CAN GET FINANCIAL AID.
How long can you get financial aid for? So you don't get any bennies as a harvard student with this trek? I have taken chem and ochem (retaking ochem though).

Thanks ock!

~Mushy

mshheaddoc said:
How long can you get financial aid for? So you don't get any bennies as a harvard student with this trek? I have taken chem and ochem (retaking ochem though).

Thanks ock!

~Mushy

C'mon Mush...what about your reading comprehension and retention! I mentioned this in an earlier thread that you started. Sorry for the bust; here it is again:

5th year undergrad (which is what you are as a post-bacc'er) federal aid is:

$5250 (half sub'd half unsub'd) per term (three terms per year) for 12 consecutive months. So, $15,750 total possible aid for 1 year. If you don't complete the program in 12 months (most don't) you're paying with private loans or out of posket.

See my post above about the per term HES budget for more info on how much you qualify for in private loans per term.

HES should stipend me for this :D

Ockham

mshheaddoc said:

Thanks ock!

~Mushy

hey there,

you can get financial aid (loans) for a year, which can include the two terms and the summer session if you choose to take summer classes.

something to look into if you are planning on working is to get a job at harvard or one of its affiliated hospitals...after you've been working there for 6 months, you can use the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). then it's only like $40 to take a class! (i haven't used this yet, as i just started my job in september, but i'm planning on it!)

gluck!
-L

Members don't see this ad :)
just listen to ock - he knows his stuff!

ockhamsRzr said:
C'mon Mush...what about your reading comprehension and retention! I mentioned this in an earlier thread that you started. Sorry for the bust; here it is again:
Ockham
Its shot hon, sorry. I'm burnt to a crisp ... *ding* whoops there's the timer. I'm offically done ... :oops: :D

Thank you again, maybe I didn't see the post or I misunderstood. Now its clear as day :D

I want to move to boston but its so freakin' expensive to live up there :(

Also ... what about the classification as using Harvard facilities in HCP at HES vs. the diploma?

mshheaddoc said:
Its shot hon, sorry. I'm burnt to a crisp ... *ding* whoops there's the timer. I'm offically done ... :oops: :D

Thank you again, maybe I didn't see the post or I misunderstood. Now its clear as day :D

I want to move to boston but its so freakin' expensive to live up there :(

Also ... what about the classification as using Harvard facilities in HCP at HES vs. the diploma?

ok, here's the deal: you aren't treated like a real harvard student unless you're in the diploma program. if you're not, you don't get a student id card, and don't have gym or library access. actually, you can get into the library if you present a receipt showing you paid for your classes, but can't take out any materials, etc. but come on! you have to present a receipt! i refuse to do it.

you do have access to the computer lab in the science center and get a harvard email account. however, i think anyone registered at HES gets this, not only those in the HCP. plus, did you know that the kids at harvard have to pay for their printing?

anyway, i think that's it.

ltrain said:
ok, here's the deal: you aren't treated like a real harvard student unless you're in the diploma program. if you're not, you don't get a student id card, and don't have gym or library access. actually, you can get into the library if you present a receipt showing you paid for your classes, but can't take out any materials, etc. but come on! you have to present a receipt! i refuse to do it.

you do have access to the computer lab in the science center and get a harvard email account. however, i think anyone registered at HES gets this, not only those in the HCP. plus, did you know that the kids at harvard have to pay for their printing?

anyway, i think that's it.

Wow, that SUCKS. And I'm not eligble for diploma program either which also sucks. :thumbdown:

mshheaddoc said:
Wow, that SUCKS. And I'm not eligble for diploma program either which also sucks. :thumbdown:

yeah, it sucks. but i just try to remember that it's so freaking cheap that you can't really expect too much. and i can't complain about the quality of the classes (so far) at all.

so i make do and resort to quickly flashing my expired undergrad student id at the movies to get my discount ;)

Originally Posted by M.D. Wannabe
bstone,

out of curiosity, say I took a dump course called "elementary physics" as an undergrad and that was it in terms of any science courses. Would something as minimal as that exclude me from the diploma option? I see that the physics courses at Harvard are mechanics and electricity and magnetism. I had the same option to take these as an undergrad, but took the elementary class as I was on a totally different path way back then and I was told that this class was nothing, which it was. Any input is appreciated.

I'm in the same bag as you, I took intro to physics and elementary biology, and I was curious about the same thing. So I called Owen Peterson and asked if these classes would disqualify me from entering the diploma program. He said if they did not include labs then they are not considered pre-med courses, and I can qualify. So I guess I am good to go, hope you are too.

anyone know any good fall bio classes to take with just having bio done? :) Trying to see if HES will be for me or not so I'm testing the schedule out.
I will be taking Bio this summer and was planning on taking ochem/physics/bio class ... but I don't see anything that would match up!

mshheaddoc said:
anyone know any good fall bio classes to take with just having bio done? :) Trying to see if HES will be for me or not so I'm testing the schedule out.
I will be taking Bio this summer and was planning on taking ochem/physics/bio class ... but I don't see anything that would match up!

...? What :confused:

Sundarban1 said:
...? What :confused:

I think mush is wondering what *upper level* bio class would be a good choice having completed bio1&2 over this summer.

Ockham

ockhamsRzr said:
I think mush is wondering what *upper level* bio class would be a good choice having completed bio1&2 over this summer.

Ockham
:oops: thanks for the translation. Wow, I'm getting bad on my posts :( Something geared towards MCAT prep would be great, but I couldn't find anything ...

mshheaddoc said:
:oops: thanks for the translation. Wow, I'm getting bad on my posts :( Something geared towards MCAT prep would be great, but I couldn't find anything ...

I was looking at their upper level courses also. I've already taken Immunology in graduate school, but thats one option. They have human phys I&II, but it meets on saturdays (which is OK because if you take Ochem and Physics that may be your only choice for the fall). I thought I saw a microbiology class, but I don't remember if that conflicted with one of the other two classes. They also have upper level math classes that count towards BCPM. It says in most of the class outlines that besides the offered lecture times there are also other sections thay may open, but I'm not sure when or how they schedule that. Imagine enrolling in a course which conflicts and you schedule and then finding out there are no other section offerings! Oh well, good luck.

I've looked into this. There's more flexibility in the schedule than I thought due to the multitude of meeting times for Physics lab (just search for physics and click on the link for the course website). There are lab sections available in the afternoon and most days of the week (including Sunday!). So that should free up some evening slots for upper-level bio work.

Sundarban1 - thanks :) I saw that class but was wondering about any other ones. I saw micro but they wanted biochem before that ... which I was confused about but whatever.

Sidewalkman - I was wondering when you would pipe up!!! Thanks for the input Dave!!! I will check out the individual syllabus and sites! Didn't think about that.

mshheaddoc said:
Sundarban1 - thanks :) I saw that class but was wondering about any other ones. I saw micro but they wanted biochem before that ... which I was confused about but whatever.

Only Bio and Chem were required for the micro class, it says immuno and biochem were helpful, but not required.

If you find any other good ones, let me know.

another stupid question ... are any of you JUST doing the harvard program maybe taking 2 years of classes? Due to my low GPA I'd have to take 32 credits. I'd consider doing this and not doing a master's program. Any thoughts?

mshheaddoc said:
another stupid question ... are any of you JUST doing the harvard program maybe taking 2 years of classes? Due to my low GPA I'd have to take 32 credits. I'd consider doing this and not doing a master's program. Any thoughts?

If I go MD/DO, I would be doing two years worth, likely F/S, 2 classes per term for two years starting this Fall...I need to do all the pre-reqs. If I go PA, I would reduce that. I can also take bio during this spring semester (which has started)...but due to scheduling it seems I have to choose between EMT-B classes and Bio...ugh! Not sure which way to go, but I may take bio over the summer.

Alas, decision time!

Ockham

E.Chica said:
...the max stafford is $5250 per term (three terms per year) for 12 conseutive months. The HCP financial aid budget per term is $10,549 assuming you take 8 credits (which is required per term for federal aid).
Ock said:
$5250 (half sub'd half unsub'd) per term (three terms per year) for 12 consecutive months. So, $15,750 total possible aid for 1 year.
Careful there, kids. I'm a fin aid lackey in my day job. The max Stafford for undergrad (including "5th-year undergrad" like Post-Bacs) is $10500 per full financial aid year. Depending on the school, that might be 12 months, it might be 9, or it may be something special -- but within one FA year at 5th-yr undergrad, $15750 is not correct... however this does not mean it can't work.

$5250 is already half of the federal eligibility. You could put that over two regular terms, and call it a year. You could then package things in terms of the timing and structure of the classes to treat Summer term as either a "header" or a "footer" FA term. That would need to draw from either the previous or the next FA year, and there would have to be room for it. If you're using 2006-07 eligibility to create that room, it would only work once, since the rest of 06-07 would be reduced by that same $5250.

On the other hand, at Grad level the yearly max goes to $18500, so no harm done. I don't know about HES and how they do their cost calculations, awarding, etc. ... but the max is the max, so there needs to be another source of funding within that same year, or else a way to do the years in a favorable way. Cheers!

(And yes, Ock, I am totally counting on private bank loans for Bennington. If they don't come through, to quote Han Solo, "well, then I guess this is gonna be a pretty short trip, then, huh.")

mshheaddoc said:

This is exactly what I plan on doing! Bio and orgo in year 1, dental version of the MCAT during the middle summer, physics and upper level classes in year 2, then apply to schools. Somewhere in there, I also need to take 2 English classes, having graduated college without taking a single one.

As for doing a master's program, I don't plan on doing one, mainly because I took few science classes the first dismal time around, so my science GPA (and my BCP GPA, which for some reason dental schools use) will be quite good.

sidewalkman said:
This is exactly what I plan on doing! Bio and orgo in year 1, dental version of the MCAT during the middle summer, physics and upper level classes in year 2, then apply to schools. Somewhere in there, I also need to take 2 English classes, having graduated college without taking a single one.

As for doing a master's program, I don't plan on doing one, mainly because I took few science classes the first dismal time around, so my science GPA (and my BCP GPA, which for some reason dental schools use) will be quite good.

hmm ... i just lost my post :( See my science gpa won't be strong ... and I don't like harvards schedule of classes for what I want to take. :mad: Masters would be more appealing I believe *sigh*
ahhhhhhh good for you. My BCPM GPA won't be as high :( I can't decide just upper level classes or masters. The schedule I'm looking at seems that a Masters would be easier for me to get where I want to be in reference to proving med schools I want in. Harvard's science schedule for upper levels are all sorts of messed upl

Hey Feb,

Thanks for setting us (me) straight. It kills me that I called Harvard Finaid and asked the question specifically about the max, and slowly stated my logic for arriving at ~$15k and they said yes. All the while I had read the max on the FAFSA site and had doubted the veracity of HES' affirmation.

The trick about the header and footer is a good one if that clears more room for private loans...didn't think of that before.

Somehow the nuances of finaid seem trivial given the magnitude and immediacy of deciding on PA or MD/DO...but I know you know that! And why does it always seem that whether wookie, droid, or English, all the axioms one needs for navigating life seem to emanate from the Millenium Falcon.

Ockham

*ps, have you checked out Yale or Cornell's PA programs...?

Febrifuge said:
Careful there, kids. I'm a fin aid lackey in my day job. The max Stafford for undergrad (including "5th-year undergrad" like Post-Bacs) is $10500 per full financial aid year. Depending on the school, that might be 12 months, it might be 9, or it may be something special -- but within one FA year at 5th-yr undergrad, $15750 is not correct... however this does not mean it can't work.

$5250 is already half of the federal eligibility. You could put that over two regular terms, and call it a year. You could then package things in terms of the timing and structure of the classes to treat Summer term as either a "header" or a "footer" FA term. That would need to draw from either the previous or the next FA year, and there would have to be room for it. If you're using 2006-07 eligibility to create that room, it would only work once, since the rest of 06-07 would be reduced by that same $5250.

On the other hand, at Grad level the yearly max goes to $18500, so no harm done. I don't know about HES and how they do their cost calculations, awarding, etc. ... but the max is the max, so there needs to be another source of funding within that same year, or else a way to do the years in a favorable way. Cheers!

(And yes, Ock, I am totally counting on private bank loans for Bennington. If they don't come through, to quote Han Solo, "well, then I guess this is gonna be a pretty short trip, then, huh.")

mshheaddoc said:
hmm ... i just lost my post :( See my science gpa won't be strong ... and I don't like harvards schedule of classes for what I want to take. :mad: Masters would be more appealing I believe *sigh*
ahhhhhhh good for you. My BCPM GPA won't be as high :( I can't decide just upper level classes or masters. The schedule I'm looking at seems that a Masters would be easier for me to get where I want to be in reference to proving med schools I want in. Harvard's science schedule for upper levels are all sorts of messed upl

Yeah, I went through this too. It is possible to patch together a sample class schedule of upper-level classes, which is good, but it takes some time to plan out and a lot of the classes require a ton of prereqs. You're right in saying that the SMP is the best thing possible. However, I plan on doing lots of research and know that it would be impossible to do this in an SMP (unless it was BU's 2-year thing, but that's waaaay too costly). It's bothersome how the decision comes down more to projected GPA numbers rather than doing what I like, but I guess that's the price us low GPA people have to pay.

sidewalkman said:
Yeah, I went through this too. It is possible to patch together a sample class schedule of upper-level classes, which is good, but it takes some time to plan out and a lot of the classes require a ton of prereqs. You're right in saying that the SMP is the best thing possible. However, I plan on doing lots of research and know that it would be impossible to do this in an SMP (unless it was BU's 2-year thing, but that's waaaay too costly). It's bothersome how the decision comes down more to projected GPA numbers rather than doing what I like, but I guess that's the price us low GPA people have to pay.
is the 2 year thing $30K per year which means you pay during your thesis year?

mshheaddoc said:
is the 2 year thing $30K per year which means you pay during your thesis year?

I just assumed that's the case, but I haven't done much research into it, so I could be wrong. There's a thread on it somewhere. Now, it's possible to do the research part over two summers, thus completing the program in 15 months, but the cost factor is still an issue.

Edit: After actually bothering to read the thread, it seems like you pay full tuition for one year, then if you have the thesis left over, you can register as a continuing ed student to finish that up and only pay the tuition for that 'class.'

ockhamsRzr said:
3. HCP Diploma at HES - This is the same as #2 except in order to be elegible for the diploma you cannot have taken any pre-reqs anywhere else. That's the only difference between the Diploma option and the standard HCP path. Both require an application and acceptance, both offer financial aid, both will qualify you for sponsorship if you desire (not sure why you wouldn't) EXCEPT to get the diploma you need to be a pre-req virgin. The only additional nenefit of being in the diploma option is that you get a Harvard ID and all the benefits of other Harvard students: libraries, sports facilites, etc.

So that's the skinny...straight from the HCP brochure sitting on my kitchen table. I recommend you call the HCP office and request the brochure and the app; it's all very well explained and straight-forward. - 617-495-2926

OckhamsRzr

and this is also the option that gives you the LOR's and the help applying to med schools?

Is this early enough to be applying for fall 05?

few questions about the app, sorry I have a few-
--

18. Are you now or do you intend to become a degree candidate at Harvard Extension School? If so, specifiy program:
❑ ALB ❑ ALM

the HCP pre med diploma is neither of those correct?

--

22. Why do you want to prepare for a career in a medical field? (Please type here or submit essay on a separate page.)

How lengthy/in depth of an essay need this be?

--

I volunteered in a caregiver co-op, med mj, I could write just Associated Caregivers Co-op, or is this a bad idea in general?

--

Should I attach the photo, is that a racial profiling thing?

--

Im leaving my SATs blank, they are abyssmal but the GREs are good.

Thanks for any help

sidewalkman said:
I just assumed that's the case, but I haven't done much research into it, so I could be wrong. There's a thread on it somewhere. Now, it's possible to do the research part over two summers, thus completing the program in 15 months, but the cost factor is still an issue.

Edit: After actually bothering to read the thread, it seems like you pay full tuition for one year, then if you have the thesis left over, you can register as a continuing ed student to finish that up and only pay the tuition for that 'class.'
:thumbup: Thanks for doing my research for me ;)

mshheaddoc said:

If I end up at Harvard, I'm taking 3 classes a semester for 2 years (48 credits)which is all my pre reqs plus a few upper level classes. Be sure to look at SMP's not regular MP's as the latter does not factor toward your UG BCPM.

18. Are you now or do you intend to become a degree candidate at Harvard Extension School? If so, specifiy program:
❑ ALB ❑ ALM
the HCP pre med diploma is neither of those correct?

Correct

22. Why do you want to prepare for a career in a medical field? (Please type here or submit essay on a separate page.)
How lengthy/in depth of an essay need this be??

Seeing as though they would expect you to type in the space provided, not too lengthy.

I volunteered in a caregiver co-op, med mj, I could write just Associated Caregivers Co-op, or is this a bad idea in general???

Why would you not list this?

Should I attach the photo, is that a racial profiling thing

If you do not qualify for the diploma program (you do not qualify if you have taken either chem, bio, ochem, or physics) then you will not be getting a picture ID anyway. If you do qualify, might as well send.

Sundarban1 said:
If I end up at Harvard, I'm taking 3 classes a semester for 2 years (48 credits)which is all my pre reqs plus a few upper level classes. Be sure to look at SMP's not regular MP's as the latter does not factor toward your UG BCPM.
thanks for the reminder. WOuldn't taking a master's prg look more favorable though as proof of increasing grades for at least a non-trad student ...

mshheaddoc said:
thanks for the reminder. WOuldn't taking a master's prg look more favorable though as proof of increasing grades for at least a non-trad student ...

It depends I guess. I'm finishing my master's degree now in biomedical science. While I know I'm doing very well and it shows I can handle coursework, my grades do not factor into my UG BCPM. SMP's serve both those factors. In addition some would argue (not I, of course) that general master's courses are not as challenging as undergrad or SMP courses as most of the latter are taken with a full course-load. I have to do a post-bacc regardless because I have not completed my undergrad pre-med courses. Your situation may be different. To each his own.

mshheaddoc said:

Sidewalkman - I was wondering when you would pipe up!!! Thanks for the input Dave!!! I will check out the individual syllabus and sites! Didn't think about that.

I am planning on taking the micro and infectious diseases class in the fall, and the syllabus and the website looks great! I am also doing orgo and it doesn't conflict at all so far.

Try switching classes and labs around until you can find a fit.

Exigente :luck:

finally got the app in the mail, i have a 3.6 but there are a lot of withdrawals on my transcript, which i tried to address in my statement, hopefully i get in, but a worry i have is that if i am accepted and finish the HCP competently, how bad will those undergrad withdrawals hurt my chances applying to med schools? and all you cali HCP'ers, did you return or plan to return to a certain cali school and if so, which one?

thanks

The only thing that keeps me form pursuing the Harvard program is the bloody awful Boston/NE US weather, esp. the frigid-cold snowbound winters. It is devastating to me. Otherwise, I'd try to get in.

Good luck though to all those who have hardier constitutions than I! :)

flyingbridge said:
The only thing that keeps me form pursuing the Harvard program is the bloody awful Boston/NE US weather, esp. the frigid-cold snowbound winters. It is devastating to me. Otherwise, I'd try to get in.

Good luck though to all those who have hardier constitutions than I! :)

Flyingbridge, it is true that the New England weather can have a devastating affect on someone who is from the sunshine state, sunny southern cali, or any southern state. However, in terms of completing one of the most respected post-bac programs in the country, the cold weather would almost become a non-factor (unless you plan to study outside in the dead of winter). For most students, the post-bac process takes 2-3 years. In my opinion, if those 2-3 years at Harvard Extension could boost my chances of getting into med. school, then I would grin and bear the cold weather.

I assume that you are not from the northeast. If this is so, the weather is going to be the least of your troubles if you planned on doing the Harvard Extension program. You will have to adjust to the high cost of living (I pay $750 for a studio apt. and I got a deal!!). You will have to adjust to the mentality of the people in the Northeast. If someone knocks you over or bumps you really hard while you are riding the T, it probably wasn't an accident, you're just moving too slow :). When you ask 10 people for directions and you get 10 different ways to a destination that’s not even a mile away.... Welcome to Boston! The weather, HA, at least I know it’s going to be cold in january and hot in july in new england.

True Story:

Co-worker: "I was walking down the street yesterday and this guy said hello to me ".
Jay: "And, what happend?"
Co-worker:"Nothing. But why the hell would someone say hello to a complete stranger?"
Jay: "You can't be serious..."

Jays2cool4u :cool:
Roxbury, MA

jays2cool4u said:
... the sunshine state, sunny southern cali...

You will have to adjust to the high cost of living (I pay $750 for a studio apt. and I got a deal!!).

I dont think the cost of living is much of a worry, to anyone from socal (I live in mission hills), that is a considerable decrease in rent, not to mention gas prices. But as a former noreaster, its a quantum jump between east and west attitude, everything youve heard is true about that. Indeed, the only thing that could drag me back to the east coast to live is HES's impeccable rep, now if I can only get in.

bstone said:
"Getting in" isn't required in order to come here and take the classes. It's open-enrollment and any can come and do it. Some people, with not the best undergrad GPAs, come and take 2 classes the first year (usually Gen Chem and Bio), get good grades and then apply for the HCP.

ya i know you can just roll in and take courses, but i had a 3.6 sci, 3.35 overall avg from psu so im hoping to get accepted to the HCP, im not sure i can sell it otherwise

does anyone know how harvard feels about W's? Is there a cutoff gpa to enroll in the HES program? From what I've seen it seems that most pre med post bac's require something around a 3.0.

I still have about 3 semesters of undergrad left, with an upward trend in gpa. the cumulative qpa is what kills me...

did anyone here have any # of w's on their undergrad transcripts? what were average gpa's?

also, does anyone know the chances of enrolling in HES if you have taken a few classes there to begin with?

thanks! any help appreciated.

Hets said:
does anyone know how harvard feels about W's? ...
did anyone here have any # of w's on their undergrad transcripts? what were average gpa's?QUOTE]

id like to hear this one too, i bet i have way more w's than you, average is well above 3.0, i sent my app out on feb 7