Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I missed the mustascheYou didn’t apply for EDRP or what?
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I missed the mustascheYou didn’t apply for EDRP or what?
Podiatrists do not qualify for EDRP at my VAYou didn’t apply for EDRP or what?
That’s crazy! I was under the impression all VAs qualify. That’s terriblePodiatrists do not qualify for EDRP at my VA
Typically not well.Also pods who are in private practice can sometimes get a contract to see Native American patients. No clue how well they reimburse.
Is it definitely bad? I got sent a contract asking me to see some sort of residential prisoner cohort the other day. They offered 180% of Medicare in the paperwork. My partner said absolutely not, but I can if I want to. I wonder if this will interfere with staffing ie. creep out my MAs. Part of me wants to ask for more and see what they say.Typically not well.
Low pay and high documentation required.
Patients are funneled into certain lab or imaging centers, pharmacy, PT, etc Basically, it's much like a lower-paying version of work comp.
Those plans typically call offices to try to get them to see pts ("woud you be interested"), so that right there tells a lot. They will find pod offices greedy enough or slow enough to accept contract, but it should generally be avoided by offices with other options.
Go ahead, but the fact they're phoning you kinda tells a lot... ya?Is it definitely bad? I got sent a contract asking me to see some sort of residential prisoner cohort the other day. They offered 180% of Medicare in the paperwork. My partner said absolutely not, but I can if I want to. I wonder if this will interfere with staffing ie. creep out my MAs. Part of me wants to ask for more and see what they say.
Go ahead, but the fact they're phoning you kinda tells a lot... ya?
They've obviously been rejected or dropped by other area peers.
I just do not see a point and trust my billers' exp that they pay low/slow/no. Then again, I'm not trying to expand or hire associates or anything... simply see a full sched, stay caught up on wait list, and max that. I'm sure it's a ymmv situation, depending on practice status, goals, area.
hey brother, thanks for sharing your struggle with owning a business.Phoned and emailed the contract same day 🙂 Been a week. Haven't called back.
I don't know what their motivations are. We do have a hospital in town that takes care of prisoners. I think the funny thing about this is - there's no amount of money I will be paid that will be worth "complications" or weird issues like losing staff who don't want to see prisoners.
Slow pay is a real thing. I just got a claim back that took 5 months to send an EOB. Its one of those little companies that contracts the rate through another company who I have an awesome contract with through my IPA. Instead it paid at 45% of the contracted rate. I got their reps email through the IPA and after a month of wait time they acknowledged that I've been underpaid for all E&M, radiology, and CPT for over a year. They are processing, but catching this sort of stuff after the fact is killer.
I literally have piles of things like this going on:
-I have an in town contract that's supposed to pay at 175% of Medicare that's paying at sub-Medicare.
-I have the network above that's supposed to pay 185% of Medicare for CPT/radiology and is used by all sorts of small plans that is paying jack 6 months later.
-1/2 my Cigna contracts aren't paying in line with my IPA contract, 1/2 are. I've emailed the rep twice and he just says they are working on it.
-I had a large employer in town switch from Cigna to some sort of self insured plan. I wrote to them asking for the rates and after a month of waiting they said the rates are "above Medicare". Yes, I was aware of that because the card literally says "Provider, we pay above Medicare". How much though.
-I've finally been able to send in my United termination. They acknowledge that they've underpaid me for like 2.5 years. They were supposed to have fixed this and paid me a year ago but they simply never did. They refuse to pay for 1 of the years even though I called them on it but they claim I wasn't specific enough in my language. They say the list of underpaid claims with settlement is on the way.
-Tricare cut my rates. They restored the rates when I called and complained. My former office manager was told to do this and never did.
-Almost all of these claims above required me to sit down and pull EOBs, contracts etc and then email at least twice.
That said. I remain committed to seeing this garbage through and then hopefully going after Aetna next. Sub-Medicare bastards. In North Carolina Aetna has a "transparent" publically available fee schedule for teachers / state employees etc that pays 160% of Medicare. Blows my mind. Excel file on the internet.
VA all dayCurrently working through two very different offers and wanted to hear some feedback. Both jobs are in the Midwest. I am currently 3.5 years out and RRA certified as of last year.
Option 1: VAMC
- 270k after market pay. (Plus performance bonus)
- Four 10 hour shifts per week
- No inpatient or call
- Gov benefits
Option 2: PP ortho group (current practice is being absorbed)
- 140k with 50% collections over 280k (will not budge on base)
- Discussed buy-in to their surgery center
- Discussed buy-in practice after two years (no details available)
- They will be covering health insurance, CME, dues and malpractice
Yea that one seems like a no brainer especially if no call/inptVA all day
Yes, clinic VA job is the dream for some (or any non op 4-5 day/wk job that pays well).Yea that one seems like a no brainer especially if no call/inpt
Never trained VA. Just applied since it was close and organizational jobs aren’t common in my area (too saturated). I graduated from a program 25 mins from the one you did so I have more trauma and recon training than most. Part of me is just wondering if I should turn down guaranteed money to be an associate for a couple more years, even though this opportunity has more ancillary ways to generate income.Yes, clinic VA job is the dream for some (or any non op 4-5 day/wk job that pays well).
We really missed the boat on not having general/wound DPMs and then a subset of more surgically trained ones. (2 training tracks, dental model)
...I think the main/ only pitfall there is s/he will do ~10yrs in VA to do PSLF or pay loans off, and by then, they're pretty locked into VA culture. It's hard to pivot when youre that far in, so it's nearly impossible to go back to working/starting PP or private sector hospital or anything. It has to be considered that one is basically locking into a career trajectory before their career begins. That's a major decision for new grads.
It is much less risk for this person a few years out with Abfas done and maybe some billing/coding know-how that a new grad does not... that leaves the door cracked to return from VA to normal pod practice someday. I would fully expect them to retire VA once they start in, though.
But yeah, 100% agree take the VA job if you like that enough to have applied and considered it. And esp if you trained VA and know (and like) how that world works. 👍
Do VA for sure. Good salary, awesome bennies and quality of life. 😎Never trained VA. Just applied since it was close and organizational jobs aren’t common in my area (too saturated). I graduated from a program 25 mins from the one you did so I have more trauma and recon training than most. Part of me is just wondering if I should turn down guaranteed money to be an associate for a couple more years, even though this opportunity has more ancillary ways to generate income.
Yeah, I would never do VA just personal pref, but they're both good choices. VA is "safer," other one is probably more interesting and uses more of your training.Never trained VA. Just applied since it was close and organizational jobs aren’t common in my area (too saturated). I graduated from a program 25 mins from the one you did so I have more trauma and recon training than most. Part of me is just wondering if I should turn down guaranteed money to be an associate for a couple more years, even though this opportunity has more ancillary ways to generate income.
So - a classmate of mine has worked for the VA for almost 5 years. My in town podiatrist is also closing in on 5 years. The first is in the $150s and the second in the $160s. The values I'm describing come from open source salary websites. Are the websites wrong or are they just "stuck"?
*ominous theme song plays*I watched the X-files as a child.
That is their base salary before market pay. As I understand, market pay varies by facility and changes per year.So - a classmate of mine has worked for the VA for almost 5 years. My in town podiatrist is also closing in on 5 years. The first is in the $150s and the second in the $160s. The values I'm describing come from open source salary websites. Are the websites wrong or are they just "stuck"?
For longevity of your career, peace of mind, work life balance and unique opportunities that are offered by the VA I recommend you do VA.Currently working through two very different offers and wanted to hear some feedback. Both jobs are in the Midwest. I am currently 3.5 years out and RRA certified as of last year.
Option 1: VAMC
- 270k after market pay. (Plus performance bonus)
- Four 10 hour shifts per week
- No inpatient or call
- Gov benefits
Option 2: PP ortho group (current practice is being absorbed)
- 140k with 50% collections over 280k (will not budge on base)
- Discussed buy-in to their surgery center
- Discussed buy-in practice after two years (no details available)
- They will be covering health insurance, CME, dues and malpractice
My total compensation (market + base) is listed on the federal pay website.That is their base salary before market pay. As I understand, market pay varies by facility and changes per year.
The thing I don't get on the ortho/msg arrangement is what "buy in" could do when you make 50% collections already. You clan't really go too far past that, even if the offices are ultra-efficient. What could you really gain... % of adv imaging? Job security? Tiny % of associate or midlevel collections? Slightly higher % of your own collections? 50% of gross is good, but not much room to roam.
I know somebody who talked to a recruiter yesterday and it was the same old story, we were overwhelmed with applications in a couple days meanwhile we've been trying to recruit and endocrinologist for 2 years and can't get anybody to even come and visit lol. Podiatry!!!View attachment 382584
Oh look a great job in….Maine
Go to podiatry school, do a residency, do a fellowship so you can officially drop the podiatry in your title and refer to yourself as a “fellowship trained foot and ankle surgeon” on LinkedIn and earn yourself a fabulous job in…Maine.
Have fun in…Maine
Have fun Don the recruiter you are about to get 300 applications today and tomorrow
I know somebody who talked to a recruiter yesterday and it was the same old story, we were overwhelmed with applications in a couple days meanwhile we've been trying to recruit and endocrinologist for 2 years and can't get anybody to even come and visit lol. Podiatry!!!
I talked to my hospital admin today also...I know somebody who talked to a recruiter yesterday and it was the same old story, we were overwhelmed with applications in a couple days meanwhile we've been trying to recruit and endocrinologist for 2 years and can't get anybody to even come and visit lol. Podiatry!!!
ahh yes, the ol' leaving the comma out so it looks like they're paying you a lot trick. Very CleverAssociate Podiatrist
Four Corners Foot & Ankle
Colorado
Full-time
Benefits
•$120000.0 / Annually - $120000.0 / Annually
Job description
Come join our practice, We are a group of hard working specialists with a passion for podiatry. Please follow the link to our website! 4cornersfeet.com Compensation Information: $120000.0 / Annually - $120000.0 / Annually Details: Please contact us for more information Starting At: 120000.0 Annually Up To: 150000.0 Annually
Nampa. Like Tampa, but worse.Posting this to show the other spectrum aka upper extremity
Orthopedic Surgery: Hand & Wrist at Saint Alphonsus
Saint Alphonsus Health System
Nampa, ID
Full time
Requirements Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) degree
•Successful completion of accredited orthopedic surgery residency
•Board certification through the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS) - or obtain within 3 years
•Obtain Idaho & Oregon medical licensure and granting of privileges at SAMC- Nampa and other health system affiliated hospitals as needed
•Valid controlled substance registration with Board of Pharmacy and DEA
•Willingness to take general orthopedic call
Responsibilities
•24/7 radiology department; in-house coverage for general radiology and CT; after hours call coverage for Ultrasound and Nuclear Medicine (NM); MRI; Breast Care Center; X-ray (CR and DR image capture); ED; Saint Alphonsus network of Specialty and Primary Care clinics
Benefits
•$80K -- $100K
Job description
Practice Highlights Practice Highlights: Saint Alphonsus Medical Group (SAMG) is a physician-led 500 provider multispecialty group seeking a fellowship-trained Hand & Wrist surgeon to join a growing practice in Nampa, Idaho. The group consists of non-operative Sports Medicine, Foot & Ankle Surgery, Podiatry, Orthopedic Spine, and Adult Reconstruction, and is supported by a team of Advanced Practice Providers. Support: 24/7 CRNA Anesthesia; general surgery, orthopedics, ENT, gynecology, urology and endoscopy; Hospital-based imaging services: 24/7 radiology department; in-house coverage for general radiology and CT; after hours call coverage for Ultrasound and Nuclear Medicine (NM); MRI; Breast Care Center; X-ray (CR and DR image capture); ED; Saint Alphonsus network of Specialty and Primary Care clinics. Requirements Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) degree. Successful completion of accredited orthopedic surgery residency. Completion of Hand Fellowship preferred. Board certification through the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS) - or obtain within 3 years. Obtain Idaho & Oregon medical licensure and granting of privileges at SAMC- Nampa and other health system affiliated hospitals as needed. Valid controlled substance registration with Board of Pharmacy and DEA. Willingness to take general orthopedic call. Salary Range: $80K -- $100K
They (whatever recruiter is re-posting) probably mixed up and put the sign bonus instead of salary as being 80k-100k. Not joking.Posting this to show the other spectrum aka upper extremity
Orthopedic Surgery: Hand & Wrist at Saint Alphonsus
Saint Alphonsus Health System
Nampa, ID
Full time
Requirements Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) degree
•Successful completion of accredited orthopedic surgery residency
•Board certification through the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS) - or obtain within 3 years
•Obtain Idaho & Oregon medical licensure and granting of privileges at SAMC- Nampa and other health system affiliated hospitals as needed
•Valid controlled substance registration with Board of Pharmacy and DEA
•Willingness to take general orthopedic call
Responsibilities
•24/7 radiology department; in-house coverage for general radiology and CT; after hours call coverage for Ultrasound and Nuclear Medicine (NM); MRI; Breast Care Center; X-ray (CR and DR image capture); ED; Saint Alphonsus network of Specialty and Primary Care clinics
Benefits
•$80K -- $100K
Job description
Practice Highlights Practice Highlights: Saint Alphonsus Medical Group (SAMG) is a physician-led 500 provider multispecialty group seeking a fellowship-trained Hand & Wrist surgeon to join a growing practice in Nampa, Idaho. The group consists of non-operative Sports Medicine, Foot & Ankle Surgery, Podiatry, Orthopedic Spine, and Adult Reconstruction, and is supported by a team of Advanced Practice Providers. Support: 24/7 CRNA Anesthesia; general surgery, orthopedics, ENT, gynecology, urology and endoscopy; Hospital-based imaging services: 24/7 radiology department; in-house coverage for general radiology and CT; after hours call coverage for Ultrasound and Nuclear Medicine (NM); MRI; Breast Care Center; X-ray (CR and DR image capture); ED; Saint Alphonsus network of Specialty and Primary Care clinics. Requirements Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) degree. Successful completion of accredited orthopedic surgery residency. Completion of Hand Fellowship preferred. Board certification through the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS) - or obtain within 3 years. Obtain Idaho & Oregon medical licensure and granting of privileges at SAMC- Nampa and other health system affiliated hospitals as needed. Valid controlled substance registration with Board of Pharmacy and DEA. Willingness to take general orthopedic call. Salary Range: $80K -- $100K
Agree. Has to be a mistake. Hand ortho is not making 80-100k.Posting this to show the other spectrum aka upper extremity
Orthopedic Surgery: Hand & Wrist at Saint Alphonsus
Saint Alphonsus Health System
Nampa, ID
Full time
Requirements Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) degree
•Successful completion of accredited orthopedic surgery residency
•Board certification through the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS) - or obtain within 3 years
•Obtain Idaho & Oregon medical licensure and granting of privileges at SAMC- Nampa and other health system affiliated hospitals as needed
•Valid controlled substance registration with Board of Pharmacy and DEA
•Willingness to take general orthopedic call
Responsibilities
•24/7 radiology department; in-house coverage for general radiology and CT; after hours call coverage for Ultrasound and Nuclear Medicine (NM); MRI; Breast Care Center; X-ray (CR and DR image capture); ED; Saint Alphonsus network of Specialty and Primary Care clinics
Benefits
•$80K -- $100K
Job description
Practice Highlights Practice Highlights: Saint Alphonsus Medical Group (SAMG) is a physician-led 500 provider multispecialty group seeking a fellowship-trained Hand & Wrist surgeon to join a growing practice in Nampa, Idaho. The group consists of non-operative Sports Medicine, Foot & Ankle Surgery, Podiatry, Orthopedic Spine, and Adult Reconstruction, and is supported by a team of Advanced Practice Providers. Support: 24/7 CRNA Anesthesia; general surgery, orthopedics, ENT, gynecology, urology and endoscopy; Hospital-based imaging services: 24/7 radiology department; in-house coverage for general radiology and CT; after hours call coverage for Ultrasound and Nuclear Medicine (NM); MRI; Breast Care Center; X-ray (CR and DR image capture); ED; Saint Alphonsus network of Specialty and Primary Care clinics. Requirements Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) degree. Successful completion of accredited orthopedic surgery residency. Completion of Hand Fellowship preferred. Board certification through the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS) - or obtain within 3 years. Obtain Idaho & Oregon medical licensure and granting of privileges at SAMC- Nampa and other health system affiliated hospitals as needed. Valid controlled substance registration with Board of Pharmacy and DEA. Willingness to take general orthopedic call. Salary Range: $80K -- $100K
How big is the ortho group? Is there a foot and ankle orthopedist there? If so how many? If there are no foot and ankle orthos then this would be a pretty attractive deal.Currently working through two very different offers and wanted to hear some feedback. Both jobs are in the Midwest. I am currently 3.5 years out and RRA certified as of last year.
Option 1: VAMC
- 270k after market pay. (Plus performance bonus)
- Four 10 hour shifts per week
- No inpatient or call
- Gov benefits
Option 2: PP ortho group (current practice is being absorbed)
- 140k with 50% collections over 280k (will not budge on base)
- Discussed buy-in to their surgery center
- Discussed buy-in practice after two years (no details available)
- They will be covering health insurance, CME, dues and malpractice
The head of a the practice is a f&a ortho who hasn’t done f&a in years. Total of 7 ortho docs with a pod who does forefoot. Currently two offices with plans to continue growing.How big is the ortho group? Is there a foot and ankle orthopedist there? If so how many? If there are no foot and ankle orthos then this would be a pretty attractive deal.
Regardless what the details are I would try the ortho group first before accepting a VA job where you literally only make a salary and get no type of bonus.
It's not that hard to gross 600-800K. You be making way more at the ortho job than sticking with the VA
I'd pick that over the VA but personal preference.The head of a the practice is a f&a ortho who hasn’t done f&a in years. Total of 7 ortho docs with a pod who does forefoot. Currently two offices with plans to continue growing.
This.If you know you're going to outwork and out produce any of the pods around you, are comfortable doing rear foot,
The beauty of this style is you've now developed your name within the community and you have a ton more options you have no idea which direction things can go in. Best to put in the work make the money young and just give yourself more options in the future. VA is all about limiting yourself.I don't know how many big ortho groups are ready to make a podiatrist a partner. I think your potential to earn a lot is great with a Ortho group but 5-10 years in are you going to want to work long hours with big cases or just collect your money and go home to relax with your family.
That is true depending on non-competes etc.The beauty of this style is you've now developed your name within the community and you have a ton more options you have no idea which direction things can go in. Best to put in the work make the money young and just give yourself more options in the future. VA is all about limiting yourself.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.