Official July 24, 2014 MCAT Thread(because just once wasn't fun enough!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Begin.

Members don't see this ad.

I just received an email from The Princeton Review advertising a CPA prep class. I hope they aren't trying to tell me something...

Reactions: 1 user
They have to understand the stress here. They should say 5pm ET and release at noon. Maybe I'll start drinking now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Grabbed a radom pen from the cup at work and what do ya know...."The Princeton Review" REALLY????

so nervous. just left neuroscience class and had a few buddies that also get their scores today

Good luck, everyone! August 7th guy here. I just want to feel the delicious tension before scores are posted here since I still have to wait 2 weeks for mine

Members don't see this ad :)
Just looked. PS sucked as I expected, and I dropped a point from the last time I took it. No change in verbal, but 4 point improvement in BS. So relatively happy. Mostly relieved.

AAMC average was like 29...made a 31 on aamc 11

wow. completely bombed verbal.....

my breakdown was 11-6-8.

completely devastated. I never did that bad on a real verbal section.

PS: 8
Verbal: 11
BS: 9

PS is what I expected. I'm happy with that considering how hard that PS was. Disappointed in my BS. I was expecting around an 11.

Posted using SDN Mobile

YES I REDEEMED MYSELF

Test Date: 7/24/2014
FL AAMC Average: 31, 32, 34, 34, 35, 35
Post-test expected score: No idea. Brain was so fried.
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 35 (13/11/11)
Comments: After getting a 12/7/11 on the May 22nd exam, I AM SO HAPPY TO BE DONE WITH THIS STUPID TEST.

Reactions: 1 users
FL AAMC Average: 30
Post-test expected score: 28-31
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 31 (11/11/9)

Comments: So I expected my score to be in the range 29-31. I did run out of time on the PS section on the electrochem question and I was in a rush in BS and had to guess on the last 2-3 on VR, but, I also believe the test was a lot harder than any of the practice AAMCs so I guessed ill get a 29-30 (Which would absolutely suck). But I have to retake it I know and I know what I need to do. I am extremely strong in physics and biology and weak in chem and orgo. I'll do TBR this time. Planning on retake with a goal of 35+ in mind.

Last edited:
AAMC avg: 36
Expected score: 30
Breakdown (PS/V/B): 38 (14/12/12)

Really suprised! PS was hell for me and I thought the other two were tough... SO HAPPY. Was expecting a 30 after how that felt...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
FL AAMC Average: 36.5
Post-test expected score: 34-37
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 34 (11/9/14)
Comments: Lower than I wanted but within my expected post-test feeling. I probably spent the least amount of time studying verbal so I didn't expect much, was hoping for at least a 10 or maybe 11. For PS, I was a little thrown off by how calculation-heavy it was compared to the CBTs and while it wasn't difficult per se, I was crunched for time and I know for a fact I missed 2 very easy questions because of this. BS was fairly manageable in my opinion and the lack of Ochem on this one made it easier. Overall I feel ok...I think I'm going to retake it though since this was my first attempt and the pre-test jitters really got to me. I have kept the science materials fresh and tried to improve my verbal skills so I'm hoping for a 36+ on the next try...off to check the open MCAT dates now!

Last edited:
FL AAMC Average: 34
Post-test expected score: I honestly had no idea... probably around an 8 in PS, 9 in Vr, and 11+ in BS
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 30 (10/9/11)
Comments: Even though it is not where my averages were, I am done with this test. I am aiming for mid-tier schools anyway. Hopefully the other parts of my application will make up for this average score... My one advice is: FOCUS ON PRACTICE QUESTIONS AND TESTS. Do not waste your time on content review and don't run away from your weaknesses. Find what they are and keep working on them. A low score on a practice exam is the best thing that could happen to you, because it shows that there are things for you to work on. Best of luck to you all.

AAMC average was like 29...made a 31 on aamc 11

wow. completely bombed verbal.....

my breakdown was 11-6-8.

completely devastated. I never did that bad on a real verbal section.
Same but a 5 on VR. :( 11 5 8... Lowest VR I ever received in the AAMCs was a 6. :(

BOMBED PS :( but...don't think i'm going to retake...

FL AAMC Average: xx
Post-test expected score: 33
Actual Score: 34 (10/12/12)
Comments: I should be happy because it is slightly higher than I expected, but the 10 in PS looks REALLY bad. GAHHH! It's over at least :D

PS: 11
Verbal: 10
BS: 11

I honestly thought I did a little better, that being said, I'm okay with this. Probably wont retake.

BOMBED PS :( but...don't think i'm going to retake...

FL AAMC Average: xx
Post-test expected score: 33
Actual Score: 34 (10/12/12)
Comments: I should be happy because it is slightly higher than I expected, but the 10 in PS looks REALLY bad. GAHHH! It's over at least :D
That's not a bad score AT ALL... Be happy. I'd love to have that score/ breakdown

FL AAMC Average: 28
Post-test expected score: 24-26
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 32 (11/8/13)
Comments: This was my second MCAT. I first took it on April 24th and got a 24 (10/6/8). I left this test feeling like absolute garbage. Now at least I know the two months of summer I spent studying were worth it. The second time around I spent most of my time doing more practice test questions and less content review. TPR science workbook definitely helped me out this time around. I am BEYOND ECSTATIC! Time to submit the rest of my secondaries. Best of luck to you all and if you didn't get the score you wanted the first time around just hang in there.

FL AAMC Average: 34.2 (took 3,4,5,7,8)
Post-test expected score: 33-40
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 40 (13/13/14)
Comments: Upper range of what I expected and didn't quite expect this score. I felt good overall about the test, but I also kept thinking about those questions I missed, so I really wasn't sure where my actual score would land. I thought PS was the most difficult section, but VR and BS were fair. Happy to finally be done with the MCAT!

Reactions: 5 users
Well, it's a wonderful feeling to score the same on the actual exam that i did on my first Kaplan and AAMC practices 3 months before the exam. Beast. Don't have to retake but probably should. Ugh.

FL AAMC Average: 34.2 (only took 3,4,5,7,8)
Post-test expected score: 33-40
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 40 (13/13/14)
Comments: Upper range of what I expected and didn't quite expect this score. I felt good overall about the test, but I also kept thinking about those questions I missed, so I really wasn't sure where my actual score would land. I thought PS was the most difficult section, but VR and BS were fair. Happy to finally be done with the MCAT!

This makes me so happy, seeing someone at the upper end of their range. Congratulations! Hoping I can follow suit with a 38 on Tuesday!

FL AAMC Average: 31, scores ranged from 27-34
Post-test expected score: 26-28
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 27 (7/10/10)
Comments: Can't say I'm too happy about my score. I knew I bombed PS, and it was because of poor time management, not a lack of knowledge. I correctly predicted that I'd be lucky to get an 8 on PS, which I didn't. I correctly predicted my verbal performance, but overestimated how I did on BS. I'm retaking September 10. I've known from the beginning that I was applying only to DO, so I'm not devastated, but I'd like to perform how I did on my practice exams.

I kind of expected this score because the experience mirrored AAMC11 for me, down to poor time management on PS and thinking Verbal & BS were easier than they were. Oh well, time pick myself up and start over.

To all the people who said they bombed it:

I got a 7 in Verbal on the May 22nd MCAT and I felt like utter crap.

But you can't dwell on it. You can't let it get to you. You know you can do better. Start signing up for a new test immediately, the slots are filling up very quickly.
Make a schedule. Start studying right away and don't lose the momentum.

You won't be beaten by this stupid test.

Reactions: 2 users
Test Date: 7/24/2014 (retake)
FL AAMC Average: 30
Post-test expected score: 28-31
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 28 (11/6:arghh:/11)

Okay I am only applying to DO schools my gpa is a 3.75, my first test score was a 23 (9/6/8). Verbal is obviously my problem, and not to sure if I am considered a good applicant with a 6 in verbal :( . Thinking about retake but just want to be done.