*Official June 2016 MCAT Thread*

Started by aalamruad
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aalamruad

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey there everyone! Figured I'd start this thread since I recently started preparing for the June 18th MCAT. For those of you who are taking the June 2nd MCAT, June 18th MCAT, or still considering one of those two dates, feel free to post here with any questions, comments, concerns, or support you have to offer!

Good luck to you all! Let's crush it.
 
I mean I feel like the thing is that we have a MCAT score old of approximately 29....which is not a bad score. I spoke to an admissions officer and he said for his med school anyways, that our score was a solid one so idk...

I think it's definitely quite solid!! And if I had a solid GPA to match I'd be feeling quite solid lol. I think we'll do just fine though!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ohhhhh wait so is the reason you're applying DO is solely because of your GPA? Where did you go to undergrad if you dont mind me askin?
Yeah! I've done a lot of repair through retakes so i was intending on applying mostly DO anyways! And i'd prefer not to put that on here haha, but in michigan.
 
I mean I feel like the thing is that we have a MCAT score old of approximately 29....which is not a bad score. I spoke to an admissions officer and he said for his med school anyways, that our score was a solid one so idk...

I think it's definitely quite solid!! And if I had a solid GPA to match I'd be feeling quite solid lol. I think we'll do just fine though!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Yeah! I've done a lot of repair through retakes so i was intending on applying mostly DO anyways! And i'd prefer not to put that on here haha, but in michigan.
Understandable haha. I just gotta see with my GPA if I can make into MD. But signing off SDN for now until the foreseeable future! Good luck everybody!
 
So I had a dream two days ago that my MCAT score was released. What I vaguely remember is i was extremely happy with the score. Like I did well on CP, BB, and surprisingly on CARS. I hope this is the case LMAO
 
I cried a little when I got my score: 504.
I took close to 9 kaplan exams, but never got above 502.
AAMC unscored 505
AAMC scored 503

so not that far fetched but my score is very unbalanced (126, 124, 124, 130) and that is making me paranoid as I really really really do not want to take it again (think like taking katniss back to hunger games). I knew i kind of did well on the psych socio because i had plenty of time left to go through my answers. Time killed me in cars and biochem especially towards the ends. I have a 3.96 GPA and I am really shooting for a state school. Does my score warrant a retake?
 
I cried a little when I got my score: 504.
I took close to 9 kaplan exams, but never got above 502.
AAMC unscored 505
AAMC scored 503

so not that far fetched but my score is very unbalanced (126, 124, 124, 130) and that is making me paranoid as I really really really do not want to take it again (think like taking katniss back to hunger games). I knew i kind of did well on the psych socio because i had plenty of time left to go through my answers. Time killed me in cars and biochem especially towards the ends. I have a 3.96 GPA and I am really shooting for a state school. Does my score warrant a retake?
You should be ok if you don't mind going to your state school. Unless your state schools are all top 20s, you are going to get in.
 
Am I the only one who hasn't submitted their primary yet? I plan to submit it tonight, but I'm worried I'm late.
I submitted mine a week ago... Shouldn't be that big of a deal I think. I'm really crossing my fingers hoping that (finally) app numbers this year would go down. It wouldn't make sense to see a ~5-10% increase in med apps given how much harder the MCAT got.
 
I submitted mine a week ago... Shouldn't be that big of a deal I think. I'm really crossing my fingers hoping that (finally) app numbers this year would go down. It wouldn't make sense to see a ~5-10% increase in med apps given how much harder the MCAT got.

That makes me feel better. I hadn't thought about the MCAT causing a decrease in apps but that makes a lot of sense. I will be interested to see how many apps there end up being this cycle.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't lose all hope. I have a friend who got a DO acceptance with a 498 and a 3.6 gpa! You never know. What were your practice tests like?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can't remember if I answered you. I took the Kaplan prep course and did their tests. Scores were very reflective because the highest I scored on them was a 499. My CARS has always fluctuated on practice exams. I scored anything from 123-127. I think if I had scored better on CARS on this exam I would have been in a somewhat decent place. My score breakdown was CP126, CARS122, BB124, and PS127.
 
I cried a little when I got my score: 504.
I took close to 9 kaplan exams, but never got above 502.
AAMC unscored 505
AAMC scored 503

so not that far fetched but my score is very unbalanced (126, 124, 124, 130) and that is making me paranoid as I really really really do not want to take it again (think like taking katniss back to hunger games). I knew i kind of did well on the psych socio because i had plenty of time left to go through my answers. Time killed me in cars and biochem especially towards the ends. I have a 3.96 GPA and I am really shooting for a state school. Does my score warrant a retake?

Aww I feel for you! Okay well I am taking in less than a month, havent taken yet, but my GPA is close to yours and Im using Kaplan tests and AAMC too. Haven't taken the AAMC tests yet (been using qpacks and section banks, getting to the tests soon). Have taken a whole bunch of the Kaplan exams, I think like 6 now, and it's a similar story with yours regarding the scores... are we twins or something? You probably don't want to hear this but I think retake... and I will do the same if the same happens to me. It's better this way... rather than shell out all the dollars for applications and not get in! Imagine how physically and emotionally draining that will be. Seeing that you took 9 kaplans shows that you really put the time in, and me too, but something isn't clicking maybe more content review. Sorry to give the hard answer! Best thoughts and prayers for us!

EDIT: I don't want to sound like I'm dictating something! I honestly support everyone in this community and the choices they make towards medicine, aka the most rigorous path a student can chose in America. This is just my opinion, but do what you think is the best decision for yourself 🙂
 
Last edited:
Just took my test, ya'll can feel free to read my reaction in the July thread. If I get a 505 I think I could get into my state school, so that's my goal score. I'd probably apply with a 503, anything lower and I'll withdraw. If I have to retake, so be it. Whether I conquered this test today or not, I'm optimistic about my ability to become a physician. I know that I can improve on this test if I start reading a lot more and improve my comprehension. That's my weak point, that's the name of this test, so I'll improve it as needed; no matter how long it takes. Thanks for everything you guys have helped me with over the course of the last two months (especially you, @TXhopeful, that clutch PM).
 
These awesome scores give me hope but also scare me a little
Can anyone help me decide which FLs to take and when during the next 2 weeks?
I'm thinking of taking 2 more (not including AAMC scored) before test day(22nd). Should I buy 2 EK exams?
Or 1 EK exam and 1 Altius (already have access to these)? Leaning towards this option because more variety of test companies, but I've heard that EK is better. I'm so exhausted at this point and can't even make a decent schedule for myself :arghh:
 
Just took my test, ya'll can feel free to read my reaction in the July thread. If I get a 505 I think I could get into my state school, so that's my goal score. I'd probably apply with a 503, anything lower and I'll withdraw. If I have to retake, so be it. Whether I conquered this test today or not, I'm optimistic about my ability to become a physician. I know that I can improve on this test if I start reading a lot more and improve my comprehension. That's my weak point, that's the name of this test, so I'll improve it as needed; no matter how long it takes. Thanks for everything you guys have helped me with over the course of the last two months (especially you, @TXhopeful, that clutch PM).

Do you think the adcoms are exaggerating when they say anything below 508 is "fatal" then? On one WAMC post, a poster said a 508 was bad, not not extremely bad. I'm just so confused with the advice given here haha.
So nervous about scores. Just wish it could be over. Feel like I didn't do so well.
 
Do you think the adcoms are exaggerating when they say anything below 508 is "fatal" then? On one WAMC post, a poster said a 508 was bad, not not extremely bad. I'm just so confused with the advice given here haha.
So nervous about scores. Just wish it could be over. Feel like I didn't do so well.

Take the adcom's advice here with a grain of salt. They are, at times, downright rude, unreasonable, and overly ambitious about applicants. Their expectations exceed the norm and I think intend to set up the "perfect" applicant. Remember, Goro is a DO adcom and Gyngyn is a CA adcom. Gyngyn has extremely high expectations because of California's admission climate, and Goro probably doesn't know everything there is to know about MD climate. Yes, numbers do not lie, the median is 30. That will net you a very high chance of acceptance. In my life, I know of 2 people who have gotten above a 30; I also know many people who got below a 30 and are now medical students. There is much more to this process then the internet can tell.
 
Do you think the adcoms are exaggerating when they say anything below 508 is "fatal" then? On one WAMC post, a poster said a 508 was bad, not not extremely bad. I'm just so confused with the advice given here haha.
So nervous about scores. Just wish it could be over. Feel like I didn't do so well.

508 is the percentile of a 30. Anyone who says this is bad is high. If you don't get into your desired school with a 30, permitting you are not gunning for top tier, then something else is wrong with your application.
 
508 is the percentile of a 30. Anyone who says this is bad is high. If you don't get into your desired school with a 30, permitting you are not gunning for top tier, then something else is wrong with your application.

Yeah I agree, on here everyone has to be perfect. I am worried about the score being below 508 for me bc I have a 3.7, which isn't super competitive, and my science gpa is lower. Idk, just want my scores!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bro even if I get a 123 on CARS I would be estacttic. Cuz I know that I can make up for it with the other 3 sections (hopefully). You know that worst scenario feeling were you believe you get like a 118 on a section.. I hateeee that feeling.
 
Bro even if I get a 123 on CARS I would be estacttic. Cuz I know that I can make up for it with the other 3 sections (hopefully). You know that worst scenario feeling were you believe you get like a 118 on a section.. I hateeee that feeling.

Did you find the real thing besides CARs easy? haha I wish I felt that way!!! If you don't mind me asking, what did you get on your scored? I know it's not very accurate, since we only had 1 test haha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took the june 18 exam but here was my breakdown:
C/P - I usually feel pretty good about it (hope I don't jinx myself), but yeah this tends to me by best section cuz I like o-chem and physics wasn't too bad except for a couple. But there was a lot more biochem on this section than anticipated. feeling pretty good

Cars - huge chance. Like sometimes ill get a 125 other times ill get a 122... fml so I cant really say. all I know was that I didn't even have time to read one passage (around 5-6 questions) so I just guessed cuz I was running out of time and when I began reading the passage made no sense so I answered the questions and focused on the passages that I felt like I could understand. Again if I get a 123 I would be sooo happy. if I get anything about 123 I will literally idk run around the house screaming at the top of my lungs.

bio/biochem - I like this section cuz its not too bad. the passages were longer than I was use to but a lot of times you didn't even need the entire passage. I felt pretty good about it.

psych/soc - idk why but I'm kinda scared for this section as well because I finished really quickly and had so much time to double check my work. I felt really good the first 30ish questions then idk about the other 30 cuz I couldn't remember them when I googled my answers.

but I do remember than I guessed on 3 calculation questions for C/P, got 2 wrong for C/P (had them right and changed them to wrong answers fmlllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and guessed on 5-6 CARS questions. Idk if I guessed on any biochem/ psych and soc sections, maybe a couple but not ones I remember. Of the 56ish total questions (including chem/phy, bio/biochem, and psych/soc - I believe I missed liberally 10 ish (so I rose the number by a couple, to account for some difference). So idk all depends on cars and psych/soc.

And yourself???
 
I took the june 18 exam but here was my breakdown:
C/P - I usually feel pretty good about it (hope I don't jinx myself), but yeah this tends to me by best section cuz I like o-chem and physics wasn't too bad except for a couple. But there was a lot more biochem on this section than anticipated. feeling pretty good

Cars - huge chance. Like sometimes ill get a 125 other times ill get a 122... fml so I cant really say. all I know was that I didn't even have time to read one passage (around 5-6 questions) so I just guessed cuz I was running out of time and when I began reading the passage made no sense so I answered the questions and focused on the passages that I felt like I could understand. Again if I get a 123 I would be sooo happy. if I get anything about 123 I will literally idk run around the house screaming at the top of my lungs.

bio/biochem - I like this section cuz its not too bad. the passages were longer than I was use to but a lot of times you didn't even need the entire passage. I felt pretty good about it.

psych/soc - idk why but I'm kinda scared for this section as well because I finished really quickly and had so much time to double check my work. I felt really good the first 30ish questions then idk about the other 30 cuz I couldn't remember them when I googled my answers.

but I do remember than I guessed on 3 calculation questions for C/P, got 2 wrong for C/P (had them right and changed them to wrong answers fmlllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and guessed on 5-6 CARS questions. Idk if I guessed on any biochem/ psych and soc sections, maybe a couple but not ones I remember. Of the 56ish total questions (including chem/phy, bio/biochem, and psych/soc - I believe I missed liberally 10 ish (so I rose the number by a couple, to account for some difference). So idk all depends on cars and psych/soc.

And yourself???

I thought C/P was the devil, CARS and psych/soc were fine, and bio was okay, but not easy haha. I feel like I didn't do well though, as C/P was so so so so bad. I got a 509 on the scored, hbu?
 
I took the june 18 exam but here was my breakdown:
C/P - I usually feel pretty good about it (hope I don't jinx myself), but yeah this tends to me by best section cuz I like o-chem and physics wasn't too bad except for a couple. But there was a lot more biochem on this section than anticipated. feeling pretty good

Cars - huge chance. Like sometimes ill get a 125 other times ill get a 122... fml so I cant really say. all I know was that I didn't even have time to read one passage (around 5-6 questions) so I just guessed cuz I was running out of time and when I began reading the passage made no sense so I answered the questions and focused on the passages that I felt like I could understand. Again if I get a 123 I would be sooo happy. if I get anything about 123 I will literally idk run around the house screaming at the top of my lungs.

bio/biochem - I like this section cuz its not too bad. the passages were longer than I was use to but a lot of times you didn't even need the entire passage. I felt pretty good about it.

psych/soc - idk why but I'm kinda scared for this section as well because I finished really quickly and had so much time to double check my work. I felt really good the first 30ish questions then idk about the other 30 cuz I couldn't remember them when I googled my answers.

but I do remember than I guessed on 3 calculation questions for C/P, got 2 wrong for C/P (had them right and changed them to wrong answers fmlllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and guessed on 5-6 CARS questions. Idk if I guessed on any biochem/ psych and soc sections, maybe a couple but not ones I remember. Of the 56ish total questions (including chem/phy, bio/biochem, and psych/soc - I believe I missed liberally 10 ish (so I rose the number by a couple, to account for some difference). So idk all depends on cars and psych/soc.

And yourself???

What were the calculation-based questions you missed... Stochio, acid/based etc?..