Quantcast

Official Kaplan Comprehensive Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DemonDeacon

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2003
Messages
296
Reaction score
0

Members don't see this ad.
For y'all who're boycotting the courses and using the Kaplan Comprehensive Review (7th Edition or earlier), how's it been so far? I'm on organic and have found several mistakes, but I've been told that this book is concise enough for the real MCAT.
 

clumpymold

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2004
Messages
153
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by deamondeacon
For y'all who're boycotting the courses and using the Kaplan Comprehensive Review (7th Edition or earlier), how's it been so far? I'm on organic and have found several mistakes, but I've been told that this book is concise enough for the real MCAT.

I'm boycotting them (since I sorta teach those courses). I'm using the 6th edition. What about you?

What mistakes have you find? Page #s?
 

DemonDeacon

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2003
Messages
296
Reaction score
0
It's Kaplan's Comprehensive Review Book (7th Edition, 0743241509) 2004 edition (copyright 2003) edited by Rochelle
Rothstein, M.D.

Page 441: Ester's Structure is incorrect

Page 508: Figure 8.17, the new product is missing an alcohol group.

Page 573: Figure 15.7, the compounds do not look like they are in the right places, if so, there's a charge that's floating around.

AAMC is substituting Organic questions on Alkenes, Alkynes, &
Benzenes with Genetic questions. They don't give a reason there are still chapters on Alkenes and Alkynes and Aromatic cmpnds in the 2004 edition Kaplan Book that's geard for the 2003 & 2004 tests?



I've been studying with someone with the Princeton Review books, they are longer but seem like they cover pretty good ground.

I just started on the Physics section, I have verbal left and then review the whole thing all over (yes!)
 
D

deleted21595

You sent your email to kaplan's publications team last night, and I was able to verify and correct the mistakes that you mentioned this morning and send them back to production.

If you'd like to call me I can explain to you what the titration curve is supposed to look like for the amino acids.

Thanks for your help in making our material error-free
 

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2001
Messages
15,128
Reaction score
186
Here is my opinion:

The bio of the comprehensive review is good (though I am not using it solely for bio) but the physical science portion is inferior to the princeton reviews physical science review. I would seriously try and get a copy!
 

DemonDeacon

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2003
Messages
296
Reaction score
0
Ihdihd, Gosh, that was really nice of you! I just got a response from Kaplan, which might I add was very quick and helpful!

I'd actually really be interested in trying to figure out the tritration curve, as I couldn't figure it out from the KC book. I no longer have my biochem book, so it would be greatly appreciated! Let me try the review books in the library first, and see what kind of explanations they've got. If I can't find it in the older books, I might just have to give you a call. My email's [email protected], btw.

The Physics section has really nice probelms that were worked out nicely. Someone's recommended me Issac Assimov (but he hasn't any illustrations in his book) for further consult.

The thing about the Kaplan book, which I like, is that it's so concise, that they give just enough info so that you should be thinking while studying. The PR seems like it's all thought out in front of you, but then I'd rather just use my old physics textbook if I have to read through 500 or so pages.
 
D

deleted21595

Originally posted by deamondeacon
Ihdihd, Gosh, that was really nice of you! I just got a response from Kaplan, which might I add was very quick and helpful!

I'd actually really be interested in trying to figure out the tritration curve, as I couldn't figure it out from the KC book. I no longer have my biochem book, so it would be greatly appreciated! Let me try the review books in the library first, and see what kind of explanations they've got. If I can't find it in the older books, I might just have to give you a call. My email's [email protected], btw.

The Physics section has really nice probelms that were worked out nicely. Someone's recommended me Issac Assimov (but he hasn't any illustrations in his book) for further consult.

The thing about the Kaplan book, which I like, is that it's so concise, that they give just enough info so that you should be thinking while studying. The PR seems like it's all thought out in front of you, but then I'd rather just use my old physics textbook if I have to read through 500 or so pages.

No problem.. just let me know if you need to go through it and I'd be happy to help.
 

CanadianPre-Med

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
96
Reaction score
1
My arsenal for the 2005 MCAT:
3R-7R AAMC tests,
EK 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning,
Kaplan Comprehensive Review (2004 ed).

I have yet to purchase the Kaplan Comprehensive Review and was curious as to whether there would be much difference between the 2004 and 2005 edition. Would the changes consist of mostly corrections?

I'll be using university textbooks for physics and chemistry as well.

Are there any other weapons of MCAT destruction, that I am missing?
 

shaq786

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
366
Reaction score
0
CanadianPre-Med said:
My arsenal for the 2005 MCAT:
3R-7R AAMC tests,
EK 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning,
Kaplan Comprehensive Review (2004 ed).

I have yet to purchase the Kaplan Comprehensive Review and was curious as to whether there would be much difference between the 2004 and 2005 edition. Would the changes consist of mostly corrections?

I'll be using university textbooks for physics and chemistry as well.

Are there any other weapons of MCAT destruction, that I am missing?

I just glanced at the 2005 edition. Everything is almost the same. Atleast from what I saw I didnt see any differences, except for the fact that they would have probably corrected their mistakes. The verbal passages are all the same and I'm assuming lot of the science passages are too. Most of the pages in the book are taken up from just review notes, which is kind of a good thing since they let you know what you should be familiar with. But in my opinion, keep your text books so that you can go back and review weak areas.

As for mcat arsenal...I decided to go all out. I have the kaplan topical tests as well as all their Full length practice tests(got em from a friend). On top of that I have the AAMC pr. tests and I'm soon going to be getting some EK books(probably 1001 question books).
 

themadchemist

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
253
Reaction score
1
DemonDeacon said:
Ihdihd, Gosh, that was really nice of you! I just got a response from Kaplan, which might I add was very quick and helpful!

I'd actually really be interested in trying to figure out the tritration curve, as I couldn't figure it out from the KC book. I no longer have my biochem book, so it would be greatly appreciated! Let me try the review books in the library first, and see what kind of explanations they've got. If I can't find it in the older books, I might just have to give you a call. My email's [email protected], btw.

The Physics section has really nice probelms that were worked out nicely. Someone's recommended me Issac Assimov (but he hasn't any illustrations in his book) for further consult.

The thing about the Kaplan book, which I like, is that it's so concise, that they give just enough info so that you should be thinking while studying. The PR seems like it's all thought out in front of you, but then I'd rather just use my old physics textbook if I have to read through 500 or so pages.

For some reason, I don't think ihdihd actually works for Kaplan...Maybe it's just my biting skepticism... :rolleyes:
 

CanadianPre-Med

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
96
Reaction score
1
Thanks Shaq.

Would it be better to use the Kaplan Comprehensive Review or the individual section review books that I can buy/borrow off someone who took the actual prep course?
 

shaq786

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
366
Reaction score
0
Well suprisingly, if you get Kaplans review books, those reveiw notes are exactly the same notes you will find in Kaplan's comprehensive review. So if your looking for a different viewpoint on review notes for a certain subject, try a different company. I messed up becuase I bought the comprehensive reveiw and I also got the kaplan coarse books from a friend. But the reveiw notes were the same. The only thing that was kind of useful was the lesson book becuase that had some passages in it and strategies listed.

But im pretty sure if you take the kaplan prep coarse you'll get more then just books. They'll probably give you subject tests and so forth. So if you can get those from a friend that would definitely help.
 
Top