Official KCUMB-COM Class of 2009!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The Paseo and the others are scheduled to shut down on May 17th and are supposed to reopen sometime in October or November but who really knows. That means that anyone wanting to get to the school or downtown needs to find alternate routes. There is the Broadway bridge or Heart of America bridge (I think that they are separate bridges) and those are the ones that I know from the Northland. Im not from KC originally so I'm sure there are more options.

MJB said:
True. Bridge is to close very soon, and be down until November, I believe.

Members don't see this ad.

staffy said:
I will be going to KCUMB this fall and currently live and work in Kansas City near downtown. The construction mentioned above that will be going on is with the Paseo Bridge on I-35 (which is also I-29 and Highway 71). This is one of the major bridges across the Missouri River and also a major artery leading into downtown. They are completely shutting it down for six months starting in May and redirecting traffic to a couple of the other bridges in the area, specifically the Heart of America Bridge just to the west. This is going to be a major pain because around 100,000 cars travel across this bridge to go downtown every day and the route they are using as a detour does not have the infrastructure to accommodate that kind of traffic flow in my opinion. The bridge was shut down for about a month a year and a half ago and it wasn't very pleasant. However, they will probably have it back open by October, so if you don't mind dealing with a headache and being stuck in traffic for your first few months of medical school, live north of the river, otherwise, find someplace to the south of the river. I have attached part of an article as well as a link to it below. I was just going to paste a link, but the Star requires you to create an account to view the entire article. Also, here is a map of the area in question:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=64105&ll=39.111694,-94.573234&spn=0.034241,0.058375

NKC plans on heavy traffic
By MIKE RICE
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansa.../missouri/counties/platte_county/10963339.htm
The Kansas City Star

At a recent North Kansas City Council meeting, a councilman predicted that Police Chief Glenn Ladd would have a lot more gray hair by the end of the year.

That's because many of the estimated 95,000 motorists crossing the Paseo Bridge daily probably will be detouring through North Kansas City when the bridge is closed for more than six months for rehabilitation work.

Police, however, have recommended a detour route that they hope will move the heavy traffic flow after the bridge closes May 2.

Southbound vehicles on Interstate 35/29 would exit westbound on Armour Road, then turn south on Iron Street, then west on 12th Avenue. From 12th Avenue, they would turn south on Burlington Street, which connects to the Heart of America Bridge.

The detour would keep the traffic out of the business district along Armour Road, where the road is reduced to two lanes to accommodate on-street parking.

I am quoting this post that I has submitted earlier because now the topic seems to be relevant. The news article is from a while ago, so the dates arent right, but it will give you guys an idea of what you are going to be dealing with.

Also, Chouteau Trafficway also has a bridge that crosses the river as well, so that might be another option for bypassing traffic. I know that they have been doing some work on it and it was closed for a while. However, I am not certain if it has reopened or not...

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to say hi. I have been planning on attending since Jan. I am moving to KC in July (moving into CTowers). I currently live on the ocean in Jacksonville Beach, FL. I am a little sad to leave the beach, but thrilled to finally have the opportunity to reach my goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know this might be to some but is there a certain color of scrubs the school requires? I don't want to waste money on the wrong color. Thanks.

can we wear black scrub bottoms? i already have some of those...

Busk0003. Welcome... I lived in Jax for 3 years and loved it. Lived where I90 crossed the Trout river. Took the boat the The Landing every week.

Get ready for some cold weather man.

K

busk0003 said:
I just wanted to say hi. I have been planning on attending since Jan. I am moving to KC in July (moving into CTowers). I currently live on the ocean in Jacksonville Beach, FL. I am a little sad to leave the beach, but thrilled to finally have the opportunity to reach my goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

espbeliever said:
When I interviewed there, the students I saw hanging around wore all kinds of solid colors. I don't see why black scrub bottoms would be any different, but of course, I'll be starting this fall too so I don't really know what the policy is.

Aphelion said:
Get ready for some cold weather man.
K

:scared: :( Oh no. this is what I'm most scared of.

The scrubs thing makes me laugh. They "make" you wear your pajamas to school. How can anyone see a problem with this?

And yes, that west wind is quite biting if you live at CT and walk across the street to school. :scared: brrrr

Good luck on your journeys!
M.

Hey guys -

I sent my financial aid info a week later than the priority deadline...is this a horrible horrible thing? Does anyone know of students not getting enough financial aid because of it? I misread the deadline and just recently realized it was suppose to be in last week. Yikes!

Members don't see this ad :)
espbeliever said:

Yeah i know people who wear solid black scrubs. The dress code is pretty much any solid color with no crazy patterns or designs.

Hey, all incoming first years, I was just wondering if there were any people that would like to form a study group. After chatting with a few friends who are already students here and in Kirksville, it sounded discouragingly like most people tend to study alone. So, if there a few who might like to study together with me, give me a holler....

study groups? yea very much a great idea to me. :thumbup:

where you all study best? library, apartment, anatomy lab, coffee shop ? i think i like a quiet place if i HAVE to study, and something a little noisier to relax in... :oops:

since we are forming groups and what not... anyone want to form a drinking group? I too get dicouraged when I drink alone.

Thunderlips said:
since we are forming groups and what not... anyone want to form a drinking group? I too get dicouraged when I drink alone.

sorry, i dont drink :oops:

espbeliever said:
sorry, i dont drink :oops:

i do i do. oops. not in KC anymore.
:(

thunderlips this makes you the unofficial drinking coordinator of your class.
:thumbup:

thats awesome... i would like to thank you Mary.

alright first order of business;

we need to come to a consensus on a proper curriculum. any suggestions? should we start with domestics maybe rolling rock, or possibly a local flavor… boulevard wheat??? Then it only makes sense to move on to bigger and better subjects as our knowledge base grows, Red Stripe, New Castle, possibly even go for the German brews, starting with Warsteiner, then for graduation…. Guinness.

let me know

Hey everyone congratulations on getting into KCUMB,

I'm leaving KC for rotation and I need to get rid of some of my books, which are all in fairly new condition. I'm selling cheaper than the book store and I'm selling L and XL scrubs...I bought too many and ended up only using a few...I think I have 4-10 of them...I'll give the top and bottom for 12.00 for both...the book store charges double...the XL brand is the Dickies brand scrubs they are thicker than normal so they feel nicer and I have plain green colored scrubs size L...the reason I'm selling is my hospital is providing me with scrubs and a white coat already so I have no use...some hospitals during rotations allow you to wear scrubs...all my prices are fair and I used these books and did well in the class top 10% of the class (I books for most of all the subjects)...also as for the books...it'll cost me more to ship them to my rotation site and I need to get new books for 3rd and 4th year for rotations. I'm leaving at the end of July...if in KC area and interested PM me or email me at Wo1verine7 at yahoodotcom (I typed it out to prevent spammers from seaching just at the @yahoo.com)...Thanks for your time and good luck with next year. :luck:

Is anyone living in the Plaza? There was one particular place that I was considering although I'm almost absolutely sure that I'll be at CT, but wanted to see how many of my fellow classmates will be there just in case. I really like this one place, but I wanted to see if there were enough people around to want to do a carpool.

(p.s. thanks to drmaryc for her awesomeness. :) )

Scaramouche said:
Hey, all incoming first years, I was just wondering if there were any people that would like to form a study group. After chatting with a few friends who are already students here and in Kirksville, it sounded discouragingly like most people tend to study alone. So, if there a few who might like to study together with me, give me a holler....

Study groups are define-it-lee the way to go. If you are talking to people that study alone, you are most likely dealing with gunners. The method some of us (soon-to-be-?)MS-IIs have found that work VERY well is studying on your own for most of the week and getting together on Sat or Sunday for a few hours to review and 'pimp' each other (especially before quizes/tests). You're going to be amazed at the amount of crap that gets thrown at you, and you'll be amazed when most of your study group starts talking about something you've never heard of. Its a beautiful thing to have somebody explain something to you in 5 minutes that you would have a) never noticed until you reviewed your notes frantically after the test b) would have spent an hour or so on b/c it's so foreign. One more marble in the 'Study Group' jar is the ability to get different backgrounds explaining stuff (few people kicks @$$ at immunology, few know the clinical stuff, few have a really good general understanding etc....) it makes for a good 'Big Picture' approach. Once you get used to the proffessors/classes/system you'll be amazed at how many questions (of the hundreds/thousands) you pimped each other over will be on the test. ** I'm not advocating beating the system-- learn your stuff!**
oh yeah, and Barnes and Nobel (2nd floor by the medical stuff) can be a pretty good place to study at-- you can always run to their shelves, pick up a review book and use it for a few hours, and put it back-- free of charge (minus the $8 mocha-latte-frappe-ccino you bought). The hippies in the turtlenecks won't mind.

Hope that helps

snowhite said:
Is anyone living in the Plaza? There was one particular place that I was considering although I'm almost absolutely sure that I'll be at CT, but wanted to see how many of my fellow classmates will be there just in case. I really like this one place, but I wanted to see if there were enough people around to want to do a carpool.

(p.s. thanks to drmaryc for her awesomeness. :) )

i think that would be cool to live on the plaza. if i could find some classmates to do it with id really be up to it. but as it is, id hate the everyday commute and alone it is kind of expensive. maybe too much of a distraction too... who knows... anyone still up in the air or looking for a roomy? im a guy, 25 yrs old. i dont care who (male/female) id share the apartment/loft/condo with so long as we have our own rooms and are classmates. as it is now, im planning on going to ct with my own apartment.

what is this about barnes and nobles? which one are you referring to?? is there one on campus?? im not familiar with a 2 story b&n around kcmo ??

ok gang, odd ball question time:

how "naked" do you have to get in omm lab? ive heard anywhere from you can wear sweats or t-shirts throughout the whole program to only wearing your boxers throughout, or maybe just one day like that. whats it like here?

do any classes actually start the first week or is it until next week?

if you are staying at ct, do you know what floor? ive heard there are more than just us staying there and it would be cool to try to be on the same floor to bounce questions off each other. also i heard umm is it 4th floor? whatever floor has the exercise equipement on it also gets loud sometimes with ppl and has a history of leaking??

how many ppl can we invite to the white coat ceremony??

has anyone gotten any letters saying what they are deficient in like classes or shots?

any letters back on how much financial aid they will get??

when is everyone planning on moving in? im thinking i will about a week or so early to get everything i want in there before school starts up.

anyone know a good place to get their scrubs from??

has anyone been just straight up fired from their job when the told them about medical school? i have yet to say anything, and im kinda nervous :p

thanks all! :)

CT... I think it is the fifth floor where the library/workout/pool table/ drinking veranda are at. And CT is open to everyone but I think it is mostly occupied by us med students, who would want to live with us anyway?????

Scrubs... I'm a giant so I ordered some online.

I haven’t received any letters saying that I am missing anything. It might be a good idea to call now and ask if you are missing anything so you can get it taken care of now.

As for CT I think most people will move in on the last few days of July, if you want to call and ask any questions the number is (816) 221-5222.

I haven’t been fired from my job yet, but I guess you have to have a job before you can be fired from it.

Cheers

Thunder

Just to let you guys know last year there was a problem with the move in dates of the first years. Alot of the 2nd years (or 3rd years then technically) didn't move out until the day or two before orientation started for the 1st years. So you had everyone moving in the day before class started, very hectic time. I don't know if its going to be the same this year but you may want to call up CT and ask.

For opp dress people were typically in there with T shirts and shorts on. From there you just pretty much go with the flow. If someone needs to palpate your back you can take your shirt off or just lift it up, whatever works for you. Theres no hard set rule on how dressed you or your partner has to be, you just have to be sure that when you're doing the techniques you don't do it through clothes.

For the new MSII's,

Congrats!!!

I have a question about clubs in the school. Which ones exist, which ones are pretty active, and which ones give away useful books.

KCUMB's website doesn't have a lot of information for clubs at the school.

Also,

I remember seeing a child learning center near the campus. Della Lamb. Anyone have information on this place. Having our daughter so close would be really nice. I know they charge $75/wk and there is a waiting list. I just wonder if anyone has experience with this place.

K

espbeliever said:
ok gang, odd ball question time:

how "naked" do you have to get in omm lab? ive heard anywhere from you can wear sweats or t-shirts throughout the whole program to only wearing your boxers throughout, or maybe just one day like that. whats it like here?

do any classes actually start the first week or is it until next week?

if you are staying at ct, do you know what floor? ive heard there are more than just us staying there and it would be cool to try to be on the same floor to bounce questions off each other. also i heard umm is it 4th floor? whatever floor has the exercise equipement on it also gets loud sometimes with ppl and has a history of leaking??

how many ppl can we invite to the white coat ceremony??

has anyone gotten any letters saying what they are deficient in like classes or shots?

any letters back on how much financial aid they will get??

when is everyone planning on moving in? im thinking i will about a week or so early to get everything i want in there before school starts up.

anyone know a good place to get their scrubs from??

has anyone been just straight up fired from their job when the told them about medical school? i have yet to say anything, and im kinda nervous :p

thanks all! :)

OMM clothing= Most of the time (especially early on in the year) you're going to have to be topless (girls= sports bra). Wearing shorts or warm up pants is the best way to go. It may seem kinda weird to be in a room with 120 people you barely know, but its' education-- you'll get used to it real quick.

First Week= Orientation (the next time you are at school after the white coating is class time) If they do with you guys what they did with us, you'll be able to pull up your 'Foundations of Medicine' (1st 6 weeks of class) schedule up on Blackboard. You'll get the usernames/passwords at some point. Blackboard should also have a little forum for you guys to post to get to know each other.

CT/white Coat= NO idea, I don't live there. And I had 5 or 6 guests (I think). I don't remember if there is a limit or not.

Steal your scrubs from a hospital you or a friend work at. (just kidding-- I can't advocate something like that, but plenty of people will 'bought' scrubs with other hospitals logos on them. Some of them might even say 'property of....')

Aphelion said:
For the new MSII's,

Congrats!!!

I have a question about clubs in the school. Which ones exist, which ones are pretty active, and which ones give away useful books.

Theres a club for pretty much any field in medicine. Peds clubs seems to be large and active. Theres also a few clubs that are outside of medicine. You'll get a packet of club info later in the summer.

Another question for the new MSII's

Books!

What did you absolutely need. I want to buy as many as I can that I know I will need before moving to MO. No sales tax in Oregon. Specifically, what Anatomy texts did you find most helpful. I know Netter's is pretty much a must have, and most clubs will hook you up with this.

TIA,
K

hey anyone play any on line games? i play counterstrike2 and warcraft3 a lot...

I haven't gotten any letters about missing stuff or financial aid awards yet..but I do know last year they didnt send this out until mid-June at least. (I was accepted but deferred a year so I have last years letters)

Any current KCUMB student know which bank(s) have ATMs on campus? Also is there a US Bank or Bank of America in the vicinity? Thanks!

Netter's Anatomy Atlas
A GOOD medical phys book (I use Guyton and Hall)
Some students enjoyed Moore Dalley Anatomy because it provided a lot of clinical correlation
Robbins pathology will be one you keep forever
A GOOD EKG book (you won't need it until after Christmas)
First Aid and Step Up books
BRS (Board Review Series) for any weak areas or just to stay on top of things

Other than those, I wouldn't waste my money. But, this is only one person's opinion.

Aphelion said:
Another question for the new MSII's

Books!

What did you absolutely need. I want to buy as many as I can that I know I will need before moving to MO. No sales tax in Oregon. Specifically, what Anatomy texts did you find most helpful. I know Netter's is pretty much a must have, and most clubs will hook you up with this.

TIA,
K

There is only one ATM on campus and it is in the cafeteria in SEP but I cannot remember which bank it belongs too.

coureurdubois said:
Any current KCUMB student know which bank(s) have ATMs on campus? Also is there a US Bank or Bank of America in the vicinity? Thanks!

MCWIHEA said:
I haven't gotten any letters about missing stuff or financial aid awards yet..but I do know last year they didnt send this out until mid-June at least. (I was accepted but deferred a year so I have last years letters)

dah... im really anxious to get this lol...

Gotta packet in the mail today, it's jammed packed with lots of useful and boring information. Attention Gunners let the games begin.

Did you get the scholarship... If so lucky lucky... Wife deferred last year too, but did it before they offered the 1/2 tuition scholarships... kicking ourselves for being so on the ball and not procrastinating longer..

MCWIHEA said:

Aphelion said:
Did you get the scholarship... If so lucky lucky... Wife deferred last year too, but did it before they offered the 1/2 tuition scholarships... kicking ourselves for being so on the ball and not procrastinating longer..

Yeah, I got the scholarship. Totally lucked out on that deal. I just got the big packet in the mail too. School starts August 8th and the recommended limit for the white coat ceremony is 6 guests (for the above posts). The list of required books seems scaled down from last year. I'm starting to get excited for school to start now!

got it myself. what is that cube thingy??

no information about financial aid or deficiencies however...

if anyone is looking for a good computer desktop system, this is a good one i got. i did the full package and upgraded the cpu so it was a little over the 1500 school budget, but they will work with you on the price you are trying to get at and it will be way better than any retail store bought system...

Custom Computer #1

espbeliever said:
hey anyone play any on line games? i play counterstrike2 and warcraft3 a lot...

I started playing Guild Wars about a week or two ago, pretty fun game. I know theres people in the 2008 class who play Halo 2. I don't play online often because I got tired of playing with annoying people (and I'm just not that good at most games).

Out of the booklist we were sent, does anyone have any advice on which books to buy?

Future DOctor said:
Out of the booklist we were sent, does anyone have any advice on which books to buy?

Here's my two cents on what to buy...
You'll want something for anatomy. Your two options are Moore/Dalley (Clinically Oriented) and Netter (Just a bunch of very detailed pictures). Everybody seems to feel that Netter is the way to go, but I like Moore/Dalley better-- there are some excellent charts, explinations, clinical correlations and its just a better overall reference in my opinion. Netter's drawings are much better than M/D, but you can find other pictures on the net or anatomical relationships in M/D that netter just doesn't spell out as well.
Big Robbin's for Pathology (Pathological Basis of Human Disease) is a definite must have.
Embryology text-- I would say buy this only if you haven't had embryo before, if it is the same text as us MS-IIs used (it was new lest year, so it should be the same) it came with a pretty useful CD.
Pharm-- I wouldn't recommend buying the Lange text
Micro-- WOULD recommend buying it, helps out a lot with lab and goes into more detail than BRS books
Histology/Cytology-- get a good picture guide. I (and others) had some problems at the start of the year. If you haven't had much histology in your past-- definitely buy one.
Immunology-- I'd get a BRS book
Physiology-- Won't need until a little later in the year, most people like Guyton.
BRS books-- Buy them All.. ask for them all as a gift, they are cheap and sum up everything VERY well. If you don't know yet, BRS= Board Review Series. They are very simple looking books, fairly small (1/2-3/4 inch thick) and pretty fairly priced.
There are some good medical dictionaries out there. My favorite is CancerWeb/OMD (online, UK based). I have 2 copies of Stedman's plus the school has it available online. I'm on CW at least 5 times a day... if you're on the net a lot, don't buy one and just use this link:
http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/omd/
Other than that, you'll know what you want to buy as you go. My advice is stick to BRS books, Step-Up/First AID (USMLE rview books) when preparing for tests, and go to the full texts when trying to learn the material.

Stuff I wish I hadn't bought: you'll see me selling it at the start of the year.

Hope that helps

Dr. Ram-Rod said:
Here's my two cents on what to buy...
You'll want something for anatomy. Your two options are Moore/Dalley (Clinically Oriented) and Netter (Just a bunch of very detailed pictures). Everybody seems to feel that Netter is the way to go, but I like Moore/Dalley better-- there are some excellent charts, explinations, clinical correlations and its just a better overall reference in my opinion. Netter's drawings are much better than M/D, but you can find other pictures on the net or anatomical relationships in M/D that netter just doesn't spell out as well.
Big Robbin's for Pathology (Pathological Basis of Human Disease) is a definite must have.
Embryology text-- I would say buy this only if you haven't had embryo before, if it is the same text as us MS-IIs used (it was new lest year, so it should be the same) it came with a pretty useful CD.
Pharm-- I wouldn't recommend buying the Lange text
Micro-- WOULD recommend buying it, helps out a lot with lab and goes into more detail than BRS books
Histology/Cytology-- get a good picture guide. I (and others) had some problems at the start of the year. If you haven't had much histology in your past-- definitely buy one.
Immunology-- I'd get a BRS book
Physiology-- Won't need until a little later in the year, most people like Guyton.
BRS books-- Buy them All.. ask for them all as a gift, they are cheap and sum up everything VERY well. If you don't know yet, BRS= Board Review Series. They are very simple looking books, fairly small (1/2-3/4 inch thick) and pretty fairly priced.
There are some good medical dictionaries out there. My favorite is CancerWeb/OMD (online, UK based). I have 2 copies of Stedman's plus the school has it available online. I'm on CW at least 5 times a day... if you're on the net a lot, don't buy one and just use this link:
http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/omd/
Other than that, you'll know what you want to buy as you go. My advice is stick to BRS books, Step-Up/First AID (USMLE rview books) when preparing for tests, and go to the full texts when trying to learn the material.

Stuff I wish I hadn't bought: you'll see me selling it at the start of the year.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the help, the only question I have left is what to do about the Osteopathic Clinical Skills books and if you bout Harrison's Guide to Internal Med.

You can get by without the OCS books and still do fine. As far as Harrison's, I would wait until rotations or residency.

Future DOctor said:
Thanks for the help, the only question I have left is what to do about the Osteopathic Clinical Skills books and if you bout Harrison's Guide to Internal Med.

ok, seriously, not trying to be mister gunner, but like, how long do you ppl study to do decently well - i.e. passing ? ive heard anyhting from under 10 hrs a week to over 40 hrs a week. thats quite a difference. :confused:

hey i saw "west port" the other day. are there any good places to stay down there?? looked like some cool shops down there...