**Official Maryland Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread 2.0**

Hi
I'm starting at umsod this fall, and I'm currently signed up to live in the dorms

how do people feel about living with classmates? Yea or nay? I've heard mixed things!

It can go either way. Its not like undergrad where they ask you tons of questions like do you smoke, where do you study, when do you go to bed, etc. If you are able to request a roommate and meet beforehand, even that can go sour. Sometimes they end up in your wedding party though!

Members don't see this ad.

For living off campus I believe it was around $81K a year with tuition and other expenses included total since tuition was $34K from the presentation. Living expenses alone however such as rent I believe was like $21K in that big sum of total allotments. Personally I don't think anyone actually takes out the total $81K you can be awarded. Does anyone know when we get notified of receiving loans for the fall? I submitted FAFSA before the deadline and all that.

Also on a side note when I was checking SURFS it said tuition for 2017-2018 is $38K? Did it increase? I guess the financial presentation during interview day confused me since the numbers for everything were lower.

Was anyone else surprised by how much tuition plus fees were? I am currently an out of state student and was allotted $121,000 for this year (including living expenses of 21,500)! I remember seeing figures at the interview and they seemed lower then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was anyone else surprised by how much tuition plus fees were? I am currently an out of state student and was allotted $121,000 for this year (including living expenses of 21,500)! I remember seeing figures at the interview and they seemed lower then.
Trust me all the fees add up. Some of them don't make sense but oh well. Welcome to grad school, the land of pleasant debt.

Housing is an overestimate. It most likely won't end up being that much.
No one buys books. You can cut out insurance if you have that. And I think everything else should be accurate

Reactions: 1 user
Housing is an overestimate. It most likely won't end up being that much.
No one buys books. You can cut out insurance if you have that. And I think everything else should be accurate

Well housing varies. But $21500 does seem like an upper limit

good housing in nice apartments that are 2 blocks from the school are in 900s per person. Parking for a car would be 140 there

good housing in nice apartments that are 2 blocks from the school are in 900s per person. Parking for a car would be 140 there

What apartment are you referring to? All the ones I see so far are in the 1000s per month and parking is a higher than 140 per month.

So if you are waitlisted like I am, what do you do with the new cycle applications opening in a couple of weeks? Do you start applying again?

Got accepted into another of my top choices!! Will be attending there and turning down my seat this week. GL all

For y'all getting rejected or waitlisted, don't lose hope. Apply again. Beef up your application résumé. Take a service trip. Add some community service. Take a new science class. Shadow a new dentist. But above all, don't ever give up. Nico out. ^^drops mic^^

Congrats to the class of 2021!!! I am actually an applicant for the 2017-2018 cycle, but there is no class of 2022 thread yet... figured I would ask here.

Maryland says "The Committee on Dental Recruitment and Admissions strongly prefers to receive a recommendation package from the applicant’s institutional pre-professional committee. If no such committee is available, letters of recommendation from one professor each in the departments of biology and chemistry may be substituted." Unfortunately, I didn't realize my Uni offered committee letters until after I submitted my application... so my letters were submitted individually. This isn't a big deal is it?

Congrats to the class of 2021!!! I am actually an applicant for the 2017-2018 cycle, but there is no class of 2022 thread yet... figured I would ask here.

Maryland says "The Committee on Dental Recruitment and Admissions strongly prefers to receive a recommendation package from the applicant’s institutional pre-professional committee. If no such committee is available, letters of recommendation from one professor each in the departments of biology and chemistry may be substituted." Unfortunately, I didn't realize my Uni offered committee letters until after I submitted my application... so my letters were submitted individually. This isn't a big deal is it?
Did anyone take DAT June 2017 onwards? Apparently very hard and new QR

It shouldn't be a big deal. I had individually submitted letters as well, and I talked to some others during our interview and they were in the same boat. I wasn't accepted into the Class of 2021, but it wasn't because of the letters.

I had individual letters, and was even missing a chemistry letter and got in. You should be fine

Reactions: 1 users
I had individual letters, and was even missing a chemistry letter and got in. You should be fine

I think his question is more of "will it look bad if I use individual letters instead of a committee which is available at my school"

Schools are fine with individual letters from students who go to schools without committees, but I have heard that it can look sketchy if you opt for individual letters instead of a committee letter when it's made available to you at your school.

I think his question is more of "will it look bad if I use individual letters instead of a committee which is available at my school"

Schools are fine with individual letters from students who go to schools without committees, but I have heard that it can look sketchy if you opt for individual letters instead of a committee letter when it's made available to you at your school.
that honestly really sucks... I genuinely did not know until much after I submitted the application :(

Should I email them to explain the situation? Or call them?

Last edited:
that honestly really sucks... I genuinely did not know until much after I submitted the application :(

Should I email them to explain the situation? Or call them?
There's no harm in communicating it to them