*Official MCAT 2017 Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leelee12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for anyone that is looking to write the MCAT in 2017. Have a question, post it here.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

If you have the time which study schedule leads to a better score? Longer (1 year plus) or shorter more rigorous study schedules (3 months or so)

Any feedback is welcomed.

+pissed++pissed++pissed++pissed++pissed++pissed+

After a few years of watching many people with different study plans, I think that the 3-4 month plan is optimal. Anything 2 months or less does not allow enough time to learn to apply the material. There are certainly people capable of doing well with just two months, but they are the anomalies. Anything over six months runs the risk or reduced retention and a laze faire attitude towards practicing. Some people feel the need to take a long time to relearn the material, which just isn't true. You don't need to review every fact; you need to do hundreds of passages and thousands of questions (not free-standing questions, but questions based on passages) and then review every answer explanation. This is how you learn the material in context and pick up critical test skills. Going through hard passages that make you think is by far the best preparation for this exam.

For people who choose to read and review everything before doing passages, they make a critical mistake of thinking that knowledge is the end all, be all. Reading text and taking notes or making flashcards often leads to a false sense of security. Having an equation or fact memorized does not mean you will be able to apply it to a question. The sooner you start grinding through passages, the better you will be come test time. It is reasonable to grind through 1000 passages (800 for review/preparation and 200 in the way of FLs) in three to four months.

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know when the calendar for 2017 testing dates will be released? Also, if there will be January testing dates?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the calendar for 2017 testing dates will be released? Also, if there will be January testing dates?
I believe the calendar is supposed to be released after the last testing day in September though I am not entirely sure. Pretty sure it will be similar test dates to this year though.

How is the studying going for everyone in this group? I'm finding it hard to concentrate, but luckily we've got time! :)

does anyone have a good schedule to follow? I cant seem to find one. Or does anyone know when we can start registering for the January MCAT?

does anyone have a good schedule to follow? I cant seem to find one. Or does anyone know when we can start registering for the January MCAT?

There are several schedules in this forum if you search for them.

Personally, I'm doing the MCAT sections alongside my coursework this semester and next, and scheduling in time to work on all the MCAT content I've previously learned in pre-reqs during breaks and lighter weeks. Then I'll evaluate what is left (everything I won't have learned via pre-req by May) and decide how much time I need for it. If I need all summer, then I'll register for a later MCAT. But ideally, I'm going to work on some unfamiliar material alongside everything else over the coming school year so I can write the exam sooner rather than later. That gives me time to ask to audit lectures, drop by instructor office hours with questions, etc etc. There are so many free resources available to me, I just need to make time to use them. So my schedule is wildly personalized.

Hey January test takers! I'm using a variety of study materials (Kaplan/EK/TPR/Khan Academy), but I think it would be fun to do a Skype review once a week or something. Anyone looking for a study buddy?

What are the best books to buy for content review? Or other recommended books. I know BR is great from content but do they teach for the new MCAT?

Has anyone used Varsity Tutors (private tutoring)? Do you think it's worth it? Because I absolutely have to ace it on the first try (long story).

After two years of voiding and dreading this exam, I'm finally making it a point to conquer it.

I took the first April 2015 exam and scored a 487 (cringe). I left that and really evaluated if medicine was right for me. My grades are subpar, and my next step, is to join a post-bacc.

I've decided to take the Jan 2017 test. However, I'm working in research "full time" so I will need to devote all other time to studying. Full time is in quotes, because my supervisor has told me the hours are flexible and not necessarily going to be all 40 hours/week.

I want to find and stick to a plan that's concrete and will help me. There's so much overwhelming information out there, and I'm hoping someone can direct me in the right direction.

I have the EK 2015 content review books, TPR full set, and Kaplan content review books, Kaplan flash cards, Audio Osmosis, and Next Step Psych/Soc. I'm trying to follow Sn2Ed's study plan, but I'm unable to buy TBR books at this time. Could the TPR books serve as a good replacement?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Reactions: 1 users
After two years of voiding and dreading this exam, I'm finally making it a point to conquer it.

I took the first April 2015 exam and scored a 487 (cringe). I left that and really evaluated if medicine was right for me. My grades are subpar, and my next step, is to join a post-bacc.

I've decided to take the Jan 2017 test. However, I'm working in research "full time" so I will need to devote all other time to studying. Full time is in quotes, because my supervisor has told me the hours are flexible and not necessarily going to be all 40 hours/week.

I want to find and stick to a plan that's concrete and will help me. There's so much overwhelming information out there, and I'm hoping someone can direct me in the right direction.

I have the EK 2015 content review books, TPR full set, and Kaplan content review books, Kaplan flash cards, Audio Osmosis, and Next Step Psych/Soc. I'm trying to follow Sn2Ed's study plan, but I'm unable to buy TBR books at this time. Could the TPR books serve as a good replacement?

I don't see any reason why you couldn't sub them out. Just match up the sections with the ones that were listed for TBR. You'll be good :)

How are you all studying? what books are you using? what practice tests do you guys plan on using?

Members don't see this ad :)

I would avoid any content heavy study plan at all costs. Sn2 is not a good idea. The new MCAT is based on critical thinking and reasoning, not content. Trust me. I saved myself so much stress, time, energy, and money when I came to this realization. PM me if you want to discuss this further. Don't catch 'MCAT content syndrome' -- it's the worst

I'll also be taking the test in Jan and I plan on using the EK series + TBR + AAMC materials, along with KA for weak areas. There is time, so I believe all of us can reach that desired score.

Good luck! Do you think TPR materials would be an acceptable substitute for TBR? Also, I'll be starting work at a research lab soon, so I really have to find time to study. I'm really nervous.

Good luck! Do you think TPR materials would be an acceptable substitute for TBR? Also, I'll be starting work at a research lab soon, so I really have to find time to study. I'm really nervous.

Thanks. As long there are passage-based questions in the TPR books, you will be fine. I'm using their CARS book, along with Ek101. Its fine to be nervous but try studying 3-5 hours per day (depending on your undergrad background). The hours will need to be longer as the months progress.

I plan on starting on the 1st, so let's how day 1 goes..lol

Hey January test takers! I'm using a variety of study materials (Kaplan/EK/TPR/Khan Academy), but I think it would be fun to do a Skype review once a week or something. Anyone looking for a study buddy?

I'm down! Or FaceTime

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

i'm also down!

google hangouts?

Same here! I have been trying to look for study buddies, so this would be great :)

Reactions: 2 users

I am also down for a study group!

Looks like there is a handful of us that would like to a get a study group going. We should set it up! It would be pretty great if we can try to get together electronically via Skype, google hangouts, etc once a week and go over material or practice problems that we have been struggling with individually. By helping each other out we would also be embedding that material deeper in our memory for the big day.

How soon would everyone want to start? Maybe we can set up an introductory hangout?

Lets get the ball rolling, its a great idea.

I would avoid any content heavy study plan at all costs. Sn2 is not a good idea. The new MCAT is based on critical thinking and reasoning, not content. Trust me. I saved myself so much stress, time, energy, and money when I came to this realization. PM me if you want to discuss this further. Don't catch 'MCAT content syndrome' -- it's the worst
I think I have the Content Syndrome, I get caught up in the content review and then go off schedule. I am starting fresh, using TPR for BioChem and PsychSoc, EK books for the rest, KA Videos and EK1001 for any problem areas. I work full-time, I hope 4 months is good enough. Any advise is appreciated.

Since the new month of September started, I think it would be good to start as soon as we can. This way we have a solid 4 months until January. I hope I can join the study group as well.

Since the new month of September started, I think it would be good to start as soon as we can. This way we have a solid 4 months until January. I hope I can join the study group as well.

I agree!

What communication method do you all think would be best? Skype, google hangouts, ...?

How to cure MCAT Content Syndrome:

-Don't do SN2
-Don't use Kaplan, TPR, or any other company. Throw away all their FLs because they convince you the exam is about content and not thinking
-Print AAMC Outline. Go through it and understand the basics
-Know amino acids and properties
-If the question doesn't make sense, translate it to 3rd grade english
-Unmemorize any pathway or mechanism you've memorized
-If you read a passage and have no idea what you just read, don't panic. Translate to English and answer questions
-Profit

Reactions: 2 users

I'm also down for Skype study sessions!
I'll be doing my first FL in 2 weeks (nail bite). It'll be nice to have buddies to study with to make this dreadful process more enjoyable (misery loves company..? haha)

I'm also down for Skype study sessions!
I'll be doing my first FL in 2 weeks (nail bite). It'll be nice to have buddies to study with to make this dreadful process more enjoyable (misery loves company..? haha)

How long have you been studying so far?

When does registration for the exam open? Heard rumors of test seats filling up very quickly. How true is that?

I am also down for a study group!

Looks like there is a handful of us that would like to a get a study group going. We should set it up! It would be pretty great if we can try to get together electronically via Skype, google hangouts, etc once a week and go over material or practice problems that we have been struggling with individually. By helping each other out we would also be embedding that material deeper in our memory for the big day.

How soon would everyone want to start? Maybe we can set up an introductory hangout?

Lets get the ball rolling, its a great idea.
i am deff down to study together as well :)

For people who used ExamKrackers do you suggest getting the full study package (mcat manuals) from amazon? I have TPR books too!

rescheduled my mcat after getting 71%/64%/63%/71% on AAMC unscored.

How are you guys setting up your schedule to study for mcat + classes?

-taking genetics, biochem, elementary physio next quarter

I'm not taking any classes but I work 50+ hours a week, full time. Think of yourself as lucky that the classes you're taking will help with the mcat! The trick is set a routine. Personally I'm most mentally sharp in the mornings so I wake at 4:30am to study before work, then after work I just reinforce what I learned. Weekends I do exams and analyze them (I take more time analyzing the exams than taking them...) You can do anything with perseverance , consistency, effort and sacrifice and none of those are innate talents! Good luck :)

For people who used ExamKrackers do you suggest getting the full study package (mcat manuals) from amazon? I have TPR books too!

I only have the examkrackers. I honestly think any set of books + 1 more book of psych/soc + khan academy is good enough. Never over do yourself with too many prep books, I think it's a waste of time and money. What's more important is spending time and money on full length practice tests and make sure you dissect each and every question, whether it's wrong or right!

I'm not taking any classes but I work 50+ hours a week, full time. Think of yourself as lucky that the classes you're taking will help with the mcat! The trick is set a routine. Personally I'm most mentally sharp in the mornings so I wake at 4:30am to study before work, then after work I just reinforce what I learned. Weekends I do exams and analyze them (I take more time analyzing the exams than taking them...) You can do anything with perseverance , consistency, effort and sacrifice and none of those are innate talents! Good luck :)

Thank you so much, Very inspiring post :)

Non-trad January test taker signing on. Anyone have a general month-by-month study plan in mind/in practice? Been out of the loop for a while and I am curious about how long / when y'all are considering reviewing / doing AAMC section banks and qpacks / Full Lengths? I am using TPR / AAMC stuff / Khan. Appreciate it!

I'm non trad too, been out of school for 7 years. I'm using mcjelly's study schedule. Do a search for mcat2015 study schedule and you'll find it. Personally I'm using examkrackers so I tweaked it a bit.

Non-trad January test taker signing on. Anyone have a general month-by-month study plan in mind/in practice? Been out of the loop for a while and I am curious about how long / when y'all are considering reviewing / doing AAMC section banks and qpacks / Full Lengths? I am using TPR / AAMC stuff / Khan. Appreciate it!

Also, another thing. I'm not telling you to definitely not take the Jan test, but I'm telling you to reconsider it. Please make sure you are 100% ready to take it before you do. It's much better to take the test when you're ready, than to take it early in a haste and have to retake it :)

Because 1) schools will see all mcat tests 2) it's money and stress 3) you won't see your scores until 1 month later, which means you won't get to reschedule until 1 month later, and we all know how difficult seats can get

How much more time do you plan on giving yourself?

How long have you been studying so far?

on and off since late May/ June (i was supposed to take the Aug 25 exam but freaked out and cancelled since i'm not ready and won't be applying until next year anyways). i've been stuck on chem/physics since i've been out of undergrad for quite a while now and those have always been my weak subjects. i need to start my practice FL before it gets too late though.

on and off since late May/ June (i was supposed to take the Aug 25 exam but freaked out and cancelled since i'm not ready and won't be applying until next year anyways). i've been stuck on chem/physics since i've been out of undergrad for quite a while now and those have always been my weak subjects. i need to start my practice FL before it gets too late though.

Ok. Well you got plenty of time for the Jan test, but time does go by fast. What do you struggle with in Chem/Physics particularly?

I think I have the Content Syndrome, I get caught up in the content review and then go off schedule. I am starting fresh, using TPR for BioChem and PsychSoc, EK books for the rest, KA Videos and EK1001 for any problem areas. I work full-time, I hope 4 months is good enough. Any advise is appreciated.
I had "Content syndrome" too and I pushed my MCAT to Jan or Feb.

What do you guys think of making Anki cards after grading each passage? I plan to google things after each passage and make Anki cards for them. I don't necessarily care about memorization, but the process of searching/reading about something I didn't understand might help me recall basic facts.

I'm just worried this new strategy will turn into another MCAT "syndrome" and will end up having to reschedule my MCAT :(

I had "Content syndrome" too and I pushed my MCAT to Jan or Feb.

What do you guys think of making Anki cards after grading each passage? I plan to google things after each passage and make Anki cards for them. I don't necessarily care about memorization, but the process of searching/reading about something I didn't understand might help me recall basic facts.

I'm just worried this new strategy will turn into another MCAT "syndrome" and will end up having to reschedule my MCAT :(

I am doing the exact same thing with Anki cards. If I do a passage and there are concepts/definitions I am not aware of, I make a flash card of it. I also do this with answer options that I do not know. If there is a possibility that it might be fair game for the real MCAT, I do not take any chances. However, I do make sure that I am not spending too much time making flash cards.

I am too taking the MCAT late Jan or early Feb. I want to at the very least spend 2.5 months doing practice exams and passages. What you will notice is that you actually learn the content better and quicker (in my experience) by doing practice passages and analyzing them afterwards.

Hello everyone I am Mike, I just created an account just for this haha. A lot of you guys going through similar situations like myself, so it's nice to relate to fellow pre-meds.
I will be studying Sept-Jan to take mcat again. I am also taking a few courses along with it so my studying will be spread out a bit more.

Id love to create a facebook group and have a bunch of us who are writing it in Jan in it. Definitely good to get the spirits up and motivate each other plus learn from one another. Anyone down for the fb group idea? We can set up other things from there to make it easier as well.

Ok. Well you got plenty of time for the Jan test, but time does go by fast. What do you struggle with in Chem/Physics particularly?

these subjects never really "clicked" for me. i think the root of my troubles for chem is that i can't really visualize what's going on in my head (ie. electron hybrid orbitals). for physics i get tripped up trying to memorize every formula then get discouraged when i can't think of the right equation for a practice question at the drop of a hat..

i've been using Anki, but trying to dial it back on the notecards a bit since it sometimes takes me too long to make them. do you have suggestions on making effective Anki cards? do you use cloze occlusion a lot or the basic format?

these subjects never really "clicked" for me. i think the root of my troubles for chem is that i can't really visualize what's going on in my head (ie. electron hybrid orbitals). for physics i get tripped up trying to memorize every formula then get discouraged when i can't think of the right equation for a practice question at the drop of a hat..

i've been using Anki, but trying to dial it back on the notecards a bit since it sometimes takes me too long to make them. do you have suggestions on making effective Anki cards? do you use cloze occlusion a lot or the basic format?

When I make flashcards, I definitely do not make them detailed. Personally speaking, I do no think flash cards should be used to really learn concepts but rather reinforce them. If I am really struggling to make a concept "click", I look at the explanation from multiple resources until I find one that makes sense to me. Once that concept "clicks" I make a flash card of it and add it to my collection.

If you need to visualize certain chem concepts such as orbitals, I suggest looking up videos. With physics, I think it just takes practice and not becoming discouraged. You will become more familiar with the application of different equations the more you practice passages and problems.