Official MCW Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Definitely do an ICU rotation. Do it do it do it. Preferably at Froedtert. I learned a ton.
I suggested that to an anesthesia resident, and he said if I do surgery, I'll have tons of ICU months, so maybe I shouldn't do one as an M4.

So Master Clinician is an integrated selective course? Maybe I'll do that then. I really learned a ton from having an M4 telling us how it really is.

Anyone do a path rotation? How about radiology?

Members don't see this ad.

I suggested that to an anesthesia resident, and he said if I do surgery, I'll have tons of ICU months, so maybe I shouldn't do one as an M4.

So Master Clinician is an integrated selective course? Maybe I'll do that then. I really learned a ton from having an M4 telling us how it really is.

Anyone do a path rotation? How about radiology?

Forensic path was awesome. A month of radiology was too much, but good to have.

i say do rotations that you have an interest in, don't work you too hard, and that you won't get again.

i just did women's health for my IS. since the schedule is light, i actually enjoyed it quite a bit more than i would have otherwise. now i'm on derm. these are things that i won't be using in anesthesia, but i was interested in.

as far as icu, people have different philosophies on that. some say do it now as a student cuz you'll learn a lot, some say don't bother cuz you'll get plenty in residency. i say do it if it works in your schedule. but if you'd have to schedule it in april, don't bother.

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG I'M SO READY FOR SPRING BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going home, putting on warm weather dresses for a change :love:and hanging out with friends!!!! :D:D:D

I hang out with friends all the time. :smuggrin:

I couldn't resist.

Last edited:
why are there only 15 slots per month for medicine sub-I's? and there's only 10 months available. does everyone else do family/peds sub-I's?

if my track is any indication, 1/3 of my class is going to be going for the peds sub-I. my track is full of peds, med/peds and more peds people.

why are there only 15 slots per month for medicine sub-I's? and there's only 10 months available. does everyone else do family/peds sub-I's?

if my track is any indication, 1/3 of my class is going to be going for the peds sub-I. my track is full of peds, med/peds and more peds people.

Doubt it will be 1/3, but there sure are plenty that wind up doing a peds sub-i. Every class has their pet specialty, I guess.

well, remember your track is not really gonna be representative of your class. people interested in similar specialties tend to go for the same 3rd year tracks. for example, my track and the track we were paired up with for the big 3 were largely gunning for surgery-type specialties. We had surgery as our 2nd rotation of the year, which is why a lot of them went for it. I doubt we had 75% of our class apply to surgical specialties.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I should change mine too. It's been the same comic strip quote since joining SDN in 2004.

My new signature is the bee's knees.

Be that way Mr. MCW x Class of 2012. I bet you get chief resident and stick around for c/o 2013 too! ;)

I should start campaigning right now. Required disco dancing parties at the end of every rotation for all residents!

okay, mine's changed.

wow, 202 people in your class on the list - only 185 the year before!

for the people who are "residency deferred" - is that mostly people who didn't match or scramble, or are they usually doing a year of research or something?

wow, 202 people in your class on the list - only 185 the year before!

for the people who are "residency deferred" - is that mostly people who didn't match or scramble, or are they usually doing a year of research or something?

One of the "residency deferred" people is technically in your class now, so I don't know why they're on our list. I saw her taking OB/gyn earlier this year and talked to her; she said she's graduating in 2010.

I think 1 is because she's pregnant. I don't know about one of the others; she didn't attempt to scramble.

yeah, one is preggers.

one i believe is still graduating with us, but has deferred and doing an MPH this coming year cuz she's engaged to someone in our class who is graduating next year instead cuz he spent the year in Africa. Deferring to couples match I think.

Don't know anything about the one graduating next year instead.

Don't know about the other.

yeah, one is preggers.

one i believe is still graduating with us, but has deferred and doing an MPH this coming year cuz she's engaged to someone in our class who is graduating next year instead cuz he spent the year in Africa. Deferring to couples match I think.

Don't know anything about the one graduating next year instead.

Don't know about the other.

The one graduating not with us is initials KM.

would that be SI? I talked to her a few times when I was on an elective with her last month.

that's what i was guessing. :) did she say why?

She did, and, honestly, I don't remember. Something about she wasn't able to get her app done on time was part of it (I believe); there was more, since she was taking OB/gyn at the time (this was September).

would that be SI? I talked to her a few times when I was on an elective with her last month.

No. Don't know why she deferred.

that's what i was guessing. :) did she say why?
Ah, she was taking medicine the same time I was (July/August). At the time, she wasn't sure if she'd be in our class or yours, I think. I think the delay was due to having a baby.

I heard that HM deferred because he has bilateral hippocampus disease.

And PG deferred because of frontal lobe damage caused by a metal rod that got shot through his face.

Get ready for it folks, this will be us come July 1.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA1Oe_akC_0[/YOUTUBE]

Actually, come July 1 I'll be doing "a light clinical schedule in the ED as well as didactic lectures and PALS, ATLS, and ACLS."

So I'm not sweating it...until August 1 ;)

Damn, I'm looking over the match list right now and I am impressed. Congratulations you guys!

Last edited:
just picked November 12th for Step 2 CS. I guess it's free to re-schedule as long as you're over 2 weeks out.

it was pleasantly decent outside when I walked out there at 5:30am. Back in college, I'd take the top off the Jeep and go out driving. Today, I was out driving a uterus!

it was pleasantly decent outside when I walked out there at 5:30am. Back in college, I'd take the top off the Jeep and go out driving. Today, I was out driving a uterus!

...Ah the uterus... doesn't handle so well but nice and roomy.

The uterus handles very well if you know how to drive it.

ugg. the rumi manipulator....worse than retracting.

4.5 minutes long ehh?

Hi everybody, I am wondering if anybody can recommend a good anatomy review book for boards study. Thanks!

Hi everybody, I am wondering if anybody can recommend a good anatomy review book for boards study. Thanks!

There really isn't a lot of anatomy on the boards, and most of what is covered is in First Aid. If you felt really ill-prepared for anatomy though, I would suggest High Yield Anatomy. Relatively quick read and covers the most important stuff.

There really isn't a lot of anatomy on the boards, and most of what is covered is in First Aid. If you felt really ill-prepared for anatomy though, I would suggest High Yield Anatomy. Relatively quick read and covers the most important stuff.

Yeah, it was sufficient to use FA and maybe a little bit of HY. I still have the HY DoctorFunk gave me...did you want that back, dude?

Yeah, it was sufficient to use FA and maybe a little bit of HY. I still have the HY DoctorFunk gave me...did you want that back, dude?

Yeah, not so much. Throw it at the nearest M2.

Just make sure you know the basics of what nerves do - like the brachial plexus and the lower extremity. If someone goes numb on the spot between the first and second toe, what did they lose? Stuff like that. Otherwise, I just reviewed my Netter flash cards for a day, and that was more than enough for Step 1 anatomy. Pretty low yield topic overall.

question for a bunch of soon-to-be doctors. I just got my schedule on OASIS, and right now I've got everything I want, but I don't have a medicine sub-I. Here's what I've got:

October - trauma integrated selective
November - vacation (Step 2 on 11/12)
December - cardiology
January - vacation
February - radiology
March - ambulatory
April - vacation

There are 15 slots open in December for medicine sub-I (no one took a single spot :laugh:) and 10 slots in January. I'd rather do November vacation, December sub-I, and January vacation. Is that going to be a problem with interviewing (I'm planning on gen surg at this point)?

Did you not get assigned the first 3 months at all?

Are there any other months open for the sub-I... I wouldn't recommend Dec or Jan for a sub-I or inpatient medicine.

Thanks for the advice, it sounds like the consensus is for high yield to supplement FA. Also, if anybody has any extra review books they wouldn't mind loaning out please let me know. :)

Did you not get assigned the first 3 months at all?

Are there any other months open for the sub-I... I wouldn't recommend Dec or Jan for a sub-I or inpatient medicine.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't recommend a Dec. sub-I. Could cut into your interviewing quite a bit, especially if surgery is one of those specialties that tend to do fewer interview dates with a large number of candidates. Looks to me like you either switch to a FP or Peds sub-I and see what months are available for that, or suck it up and do an April med sub-I.