~*~*~*~*OFFICIAL NUTCASE APPLICANTS THREAD*~*~*~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This last weekend I was at a pre-application school orientation (New school) and, beyond one group of friends that came together, no one was really talking with each other beyond little chit-chat.

Is that reflective of actual interview days or are students more open when they know these could be their classmates next year?

Interview days will probably start with polite chit-chat (where are you from, where did you go to undergrad/grad school, is this your first interview, etc.). You may or may not be in a group of interviewees (6-8) for the entire day, so it takes a while to get through those formalities with everyone. Once they do the "icebreaker" question (name, undergrad school, something interesting about yourself), you'll find more things in common with your fellow interviewees to talk about, but some people are extremely shy and don't talk no matter how much someone tries to engage them.

I'm quiet and reserved most of the time, but on interview day, you should assume you're being observed from the moment you walk in the door to the moment you drive away in your car and act accordingly. For me, this meant stepping out of my comfort zone and attempting to really get to know my interview group, ask questions of the faculty and staff appointed to spend time with us that day, speak to the current students, etc. I think that makes you look better than not speaking to anyone for most of the day, even if you are naturally quiet and introverted.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user