*~~Official Penn Dental Medicine Class of 2011~~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

proline

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cheers everyone to lots of fun times and a whole lot of debt! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I second that! Can't wait until next fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there too!
Can't wait to meet you guys. :)

I just got the acceptance in the mail today. ... See you in August!

Count me in. For now. Until I grow some brains and realize it's just way too expensive....

Count me in. For now. Until I grow some brains and realize it's just way too expensive....

Don't worry, my recycled scholarship may yet arrive. ;)

sweet. but i kinda gave up hope on the scholarship....

Does anyone have any clue as to where they'd like to live? ... Grad School Dorms? ... Off-Campus Apartments?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone...see you in August. Live off-campus!!!

Congrats everyone...see you in August. Live off-campus!!!

hey thanks for the advice. i've heard other complaints about the grad housing... what specifically is the problem with it? also, i live right over the ben franklin in cherry hill. do you think driving from here will be a lot of trouble with the first year curriculum? it'd save me a ton of money.

at my interview, all the students we had lunch with said stay away from samson (the grad housing place. i think that's how you spell it). i'm actually going back to philly in a few days to check out some of the apartments and see what kind price ranges i'm looking at. then again, i'm still not sure if i'm even going to Penn.

hey thanks for the advice. i've heard other complaints about the grad housing... what specifically is the problem with it? also, i live right over the ben franklin in cherry hill. do you think driving from here will be a lot of trouble with the first year curriculum? it'd save me a ton of money.

You can do it but you will have to get a parking spot at Fresh Grocer which is about $1200 a year.

Apts range from about $500-$1200 depending on what you want. There are some cheaper but you have to wait until next year when you join a dental frat.

Samson is expensive, small and not pleasant plus relatively far from the Dental school...you can do much better

I will be at Penn next year too! Can't wait to meet everyone! I have had some of the same questions about housing and have been to www.4wallsinphilly.com to check out some different complexes. Seems pretty helpful but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am basically throwing a dart at a map as to where to live.

Hi everyone- I just got word that I have an interview (I just got it tonight and haven't even scheduled it yet!). I'm so excited. Any advice? experiences? Was it comfortable? scary? good / bad? Just looking for some insight in addition to the stuff I read in interview feedback. Thanks and congrats to all of you :)

Hi everyone- I just got word that I have an interview (I just got it tonight and haven't even scheduled it yet!). I'm so excited. Any advice? experiences? Was it comfortable? scary? good / bad? Just looking for some insight in addition to the stuff I read in interview feedback. Thanks and congrats to all of you :)

The Penn interview was probably my best one. I looked over the interview feedback, my AADSAS application, my supplemental application and read everything they sent me. Make sure you know the basic interview questions like why you want to be a dentist, why Penn, etc. My interviewer was Dr. Joan Gluch (Very nice lady :) ). She asked me about my extracurricular activities, involvement in the pre-dental society at my school, some classes on my transcript that seemed unique and why I took them, my favorite classes and why, etc. It was very conversational. Unlike other interviews, there were no awkward moments of silence when my interviewer would stop to write on a paper. All of the other people that were interviewing with me that day (Ething, etc.) had similar experiences. They felt that their interviewers just wanted to get to know them a little better. Just be yourself and you'll be fine. Good luck!!

I think I ended up talking for less than 10 minutes out of my 30 minute interview slot. It was incredibly laid back. My interviewer didn't ask me any difficult questions and (suprisingly enough) didn't really reference anything in my application. The only quasi-interview-esque question I ended up being asked was "Which school is your top choice?" My answer, of course, was Penn.

Lets see here... My interview went very well too... just seemed to be mostly conversational and really laid back. I interviewed with Dr. Rossman. He didn't bring up anythingn from my application, just talked about me and my life. I had some "interview" questions though... the only one that really comes to mind was

"If you could invite any 6 people living or dead to a dinner party, who would they be and why?"

So... good luck with that one! haha, but its really not bad, it was a great experience.

Thanks everyone. In general I get the sense that the interview is more conversational and less "interview-y", if that's a word. Hopefully I will rejoin this thread as a classmate in the near future. :)

There is also a Penn SDM one in general... http://upenn.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2200108521

not sure if you are allowed in without your Penn email but what do i know

Also join this group: http://upenn.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2204884140

Simply because its so true...if you don't know what I mean then talk to me during orientation.

Also, enjoy this semester and summer--it will be the best you have in a long time. Relax and get a nice tan...don't read ahead or study unless you are planning on placing out of Histology, which is probably one of the best decisions I ever made. But if you don't its not a big deal.

how do you place out of histology? I heard its rough at Penn.

how do you place out of histology? I heard its rough at Penn.

The first couple weeks of school they set up a lab test and if you score high on it you have the option of placing out of the lab portion of histology. This will save you about 20 hours of class time so that you can sleep in. If you have taken histo in undergrad this is a good idea, otherwise, just take the course. Histo is actually one of the better classes.

what are some not so good classes at penn?

The first couple weeks of school they set up a lab test and if you score high on it you have the option of placing out of the lab portion of histology. This will save you about 20 hours of class time so that you can sleep in. If you have taken histo in undergrad this is a good idea, otherwise, just take the course. Histo is actually one of the better classes.

Good luck Cymbidium! Hope to see you in the fall! :)

Thanks everyone. In general I get the sense that the interview is more conversational and less "interview-y", if that's a word. Hopefully I will rejoin this thread as a classmate in the near future. :)

feels great to join PENN DMD 2011. Congratulations to everybody who made it! I am looking forward to meeting all of you in August

It looks like I will be attending UPenn also. In terms of expense, is going to UPenn cheaper than going to NYU? I heard they are similar. And in terms of education, is UPenn more recognized? Like... do UPenn students score higher on board exams?

Kev

it looks like we have two of these threads, would it be possible to merge them mods?

thanks!

Yes! ... Please merge the other Penn '11 thread into this one.

hey ppl!

i will most likely come to PENN.

just a question tho....for those of you that got the half tuition scholarship, what stats did u have if you dont mind sharing.

and do they tell you in the acceptance package?

Thanks

Im pretty sure you need a 3.75 to even be considered. Last I heard, the avg person who got one had a 23. (I didnt get one :mad: )

can someone convince me that ucla isn't all that it's made out to be?

i wanna go to penn, and join y'all but i'm having a hard time giving up ucla

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to say hi- i plan to go to UPenn in the Fall!

Has anyone started to look at housing? I heard Sansom is not highly recommended, so I was wondering what everyone was planning on doing...keep me posted!

If anyone wants to sublet my apartment this summer for any period of time I would love to give a deal to a new Penn student. The apartment is on 40th and Spruce--one block from the dental school. Send me a PM please.

I don't know how to get started

Penn made the ncaa tournament! Go Quakers!

I'm pretty much going crazy with excitment! August will be here in a flash! Just wanted to say hi to all my future classmates!