Official Pharmacy Investing (Stocks/Funds) Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Requiem

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm starting this up to generate some discussion and interest in the world of finance & investing in general!

It's an important area for any professional to be aware of and hopefully this will spark some interest.

I'm going to recommend a couple of good books on the subject in case you're interested:

The Money Game - Adam Smith
Naked Economics - Charles Wheelan
Irrational Exhuberance - Shiller

These are highly enjoyable reads (except Shillers is a bit more technical and detail oriented) written by articulate authors.

I'll also get started with some pharmacy related stocks courtesy of Z:

"I've had a stock thread on MNTA... it was a big day..July 23rd.

I've posted about ARNA... the big day is Sept 16... I have some concerns about Cardiac Side Effects.

I'm hyped up on Stem Cells.. ATHX, GERN, and ACTC.

Federal Court ruled no federal funding for stem cell research last week. Department of Justice announced they'll appeal the decision.

Meanwhile, I watch this battle closely...

I'm so freakin excited about ATHX and their multistem cells and what it can do. If GERN can show embryonic stem cells can regenerate damaged spinal cord nerve cells..how great is it???

Members don't see this ad.

Stem Cell stocks took a hit with the court ruling last week. Would have been a good time to buy. I do think Embryonic Stem Cell research is a matter of time. It will be a long term hold. The risk is if these companies don't survive till they can put out a product in the market.

I think ATHX and their Multistem is 3 to 5 years before it's a marketable product. It has so many different uses....

I remember reading about Angiogenesis over 10 years ago... then forgot about it. Then when I started to review Avastin...who'd thunk it... it is an antiangiogenesis drug.

Diversify your holding with gold mutual fund (i.e TGLDX 27.9% return YTD) Everyone is running away from USD, and EURO. In the long run, inflation is very real for US and going to kick in before you know it thus it will push gold price further up.

I should have allocate my money at least 25% gold (only had 10% gold..) It's my best holding this year compare to equity mutual fund...

Members don't see this ad :)
what i do with drug stocks isnt investing...its trading.

now..some think gold is a bubbble.. im not sure. but when the shf, wouldnt u want physical gold instead eft?

Diversify your holding with gold mutual fund (i.e TGLDX 27.9% return YTD) Everyone is running away from USD, and EURO. In the long run, inflation is very real for US and going to kick in before you know it thus it will push gold price further up.

I should have allocate my money at least 25% gold (only had 10% gold..) It's my best holding this year compare to equity mutual fund...

So, do you think the market has already realized this?

This is an interesting point: By the time we are discussing an issue - has the market price already been corrected and the issue (e.g. inflation in this case) already been accounted for?

what i do with drug stocks isnt investing...its trading.

now..some think gold is a bubbble.. im not sure. but when the shf, wouldnt u want physical gold instead eft?

Z is playing the game.

Long term ("I'm in it for the long haul") investing is a different beast

Gold has been cash king for 10,000 years. No currency not based on gold has lasted for more than 40 years. The US dollar left the gold standard 37 years ago. And the US dollar has lost over 90% of its value since 1913. Yet people tell you its risky to hold gold... This is one of the investment where the equity market goes up and down for a while with huge inflation risk ahead of us, people will seek safe haven to put their money into (gold).The market goes sideways you'll still make money.. I think everyone should have at least 10% of their money in gold.

A holding a company that manages gold gives you more leverage when you think gold is going up even more.. but leverage goes both way... so take your poison lol... either hold physical gold or stock of gold companies. I pick a no hassle mutual fund that does both

Mutual fund : TGLDX has 8.2% physical gold then the rest invested in mining companies.
5 Largest Domestic Equity Holdings
Company Percent of Holdings
1. GOLD COIN MNG INC CO...8.2%
2. OSKFF Osisko Mining Corp O...5.7%
3. GOLD Randgold Resources L...5.3%
4. IAGI AMGOLD Corp ORD...4.6%
5. NEM Newmont Mining Corp...4.0%

or you can pick a gold bullion ETF (physical gold):
"ETF : GLD was the very first Gold ETF fund and still the most popular. They purchase 400 ounce gold bars from London Good Delivery Bars, and issue the shares at one tenth of the price of an ounce of the gold." ----- I copy and paste this >_> couldn't explain it any better with my own words...

I am not a big fan of trading.. too much volatility. It's too crazy too think that you can have the same information as Goldman Sachs or as insider trading. We are all just a regular person who doesn't know much about Wall Street to play the guessing game... I just put my money in the company that performs well year to year, with little debt and wait 5-10 years...

Last edited:
The thing with gold is - it is just too $$$ to buy right now.

I bought some silver earlier this year, and it has gone up from ~$17 to $19 per oz in the last 6 months. It is still pretty undervalued compared to GOLD. I'm pretty optimistic that the future of silver is will go up to mid $20s in the next couple years.

Would does everybody think about General Motors (GM) planning intial public offering of its stock this fall? Worth a buy?

The thing with gold is - it is just too $$$ to buy right now.

I bought some silver earlier this year, and it has gone up from ~$17 to $19 per oz in the last 6 months. It is still pretty undervalued compared to GOLD. I'm pretty optimistic that the future of silver is will go up to mid $20s in the next couple years.

Would does everybody think about General Motors (GM) planning intial public offering of its stock this fall? Worth a buy?

How is the new GM any different than the old GM?

GM will be the ticket symbol for the "new General Motors".

The former General Motors is renamed as "Motors Liquidation Company" and assigned to a different ticket symbol MTLQQ, this will be a separate company.

GM report over $2.5 billion profit after 2nd quarter, and plans to launch its stock later this year.

My initial thought is "quick in and quick out," aim for ~15% gain and get out on the new GM stock.

Any other good bargain stocks people recommend buying now?

I use Scottrade not bad $7/trade with wide variety of mutual funds and stocks..

Members don't see this ad :)
Sogotrade is good why ? Well because the trades are only $3 each. 7 bucks to buy and sell just eats away at your profits plus opening an account gives you 100 free trades.

Sogotrade is good why ? Well because the trades are only $3 each. 7 bucks to buy and sell just eats away at your profits plus opening an account gives you 100 free trades.

"I use Scottrade not bad $7/trade with wide variety of mutual funds and stocks.." and who doesn't know trading cost eats away your profit? Unless your last name is WallStreet, daytrading is for losers anyway with 100 trades/month you are kind of guaranteed losing money every month >_>

There is no best online broker it depends on individual style and preferences
http://www.smartmoney.com/investing/economy/smartmoneys-annual-broker-survey-23119/?page=8

Look at Sogotrade vs any online broker reviews... it's basically crap

"I use Scottrade not bad $7/trade with wide variety of mutual funds and stocks.." and who doesn't know trading cost eats away your profit? Unless your last name is WallStreet, daytrading is for losers anyway with 100 trades/month you are kind of guaranteed losing money every month >_>

There is no best online broker it depends on individual style and preferences
http://www.smartmoney.com/investing/economy/smartmoneys-annual-broker-survey-23119/?page=8

Look at Sogotrade vs any online broker reviews... it's basically crap

I have an undergrad degree in business and an MBA in finance so I guess I should know something about investing. There are different styles of investing that is true but if you buy and hold till you die its not investing. There is a saying what goes up must come down. You have to take advantages in fluctuation in order to maximize profit. Also why pay $7 when you could pay $3 for the same thing. But again that is my opinion.

Smartmoney, good link momus! Not for the Canadians here but good nonetheless :p.

So, back to gold, it's almost pushing through historic highs. You still think this is the time to buy??

I'm not buying any gold now. $1255 is over-priced in my opinion.

Scottrade work for me because I'm not a frequent trader. Sure, the $7/transaction adds up, but I can live with it.

I am bullish on gold and I think gold still has a way to go up... maxed out at ~$2200

If you are bearish on gold, it's true that gold adjusted to inflation has a price of ~$1100. So, it's a bit overpriced at this point (+$150) IF the ONLY driving power of gold is inflation.... unfortunately, that's not the truth...

This is an interesting article (the first one on top) posted by one of my favorite blogger

http://www.1stmillionat33.com/2010/09/the-fair-price-for-gold/

FDA rejects approval for Lorcaserin....stock took a huge hit....ouch..... Z had some great ideas on this one, then the FDA goes and ruins all the fun.

I'm currently holding BIOD and ALXA. 19.5% and 10.82% gains thus far, respectively. BIOD has a lot of potential in my opinion, seeing as how it is much more efficient in delivering meal-time insulin compared to current diabetes Rx's. I think it will have a decent run-up, although I don't have a target exit point (probably ~1 week before PDUFA). You never know with stocks, though.

I'm contemplating on jumping on the AVNR bandwagon before it begins too big of a run-up, although I'm not very bullish with it. So far I am satisfied with my investments, and I'm planning on placing a trailing stop sell order of around 10-12% (not sure) after these move a bit more north to lock in profits. I'm trying to minimize loss and maximize gain... whatever that means haha. Stocks sure are addicting....

Interesting thread! I just began buying stocks myself, but I don't trade. I'm buying and holding. I haven't looked at pharma or pharma-related stocks, but since I am a very rich (/sarcasm) grad student, I've only been buying stock in boring companies like Heinz, P&G, ExxonMobil, and General Mills. I also have index funds from Schwab.

I do have shares in Citigroup, though, but I've not managed to break even on them. I bought them at over $4/share, and when they were selling for under $3.70/share in August I didn't have any money to buy more. Now they're $3.99.

Interesting thread! I just began buying stocks myself, but I don't trade. I'm buying and holding. I haven't looked at pharma or pharma-related stocks, but since I am a very rich (/sarcasm) grad student, I've only been buying stock in boring companies like Heinz, P&G, ExxonMobil, and General Mills. I also have index funds from Schwab.

So do you think it's worth it to throw a small amount of money at large cap stocks? A 2-3% appreciation in these companies is considered typical, which means $30 on a grand. Minus the cost of buying and selling plus other fees/tax, you might make 10$?

Transaction feeds, capital gains, etc., will eat away at a small profit.

I'm pretty new to the whole stock thing, but does anyone think the new oral MS treatment just approved will have any positive impact on Novartis? Or would it have already happened already (in which case, it appears it won't)?

Well since novartis stock price has barely moves, I think you have your answer The positive news has likely been built into the stock price since June when the FDA advisory panel voted unanimously to recommend the drug. This is pretty much a sure sign that the drug will be approved. In the future, the sales of this blockbuster drug will obviously lift quarterly earnings so maybe you'll see a jump in share prices there of novartis handily beats analyst expectations

Painstakingly posted from my iPhone.

well since novartis stock price has barely moves, i think you have your answer the positive news has likely been built into the stock price since june when the fda advisory panel voted unanimously to recommend the drug. This is pretty much a sure sign that the drug will be approved. In the future, the sales of this blockbuster drug will obviously lift quarterly earnings so maybe you'll see a jump in share prices there of novartis handily beats analyst expectations

painstakingly posted from my iphone.

:lol:

adding to the watch list. OPTR interesting new class of abx for CDI...superior than oral vanco.

nothing like being stranded at an airport.. will someone put me up for a night in charlotte?

gold is about to hit 1300 and even though it may be expensive it's worth buying because you know it will continue to go up.

I've been telling my dad since early 2009 to buy gold, he never listened. I've seen gold go up 300 dollars since. :( He just kept saying Gold is too risky like he actually knows anything about it...

This is the moment where WVU and I say "I told you so".

If you buy gold back in 2006, you could have at least double (if you buy physical gold) or triple (if you buy funds/ETF) your money already. Unfortunately, I was too busy studying to pass pharmacokinetics exam and was dead broke at that time....

I just reallocated my portfolio from 10% to 25% of gold, 10% bonds, and 65% stocks. Right now, Gold is the biggest runner up so far... 33%+ in this year. My stocks holding is stagnant... My Municipal Bond holding is about 5%+ return but it will go down next year when the Feds hike the interest rate.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I was too busy studying to pass pharmacokinetics exam and was dead broke at that time....

Been in this boat as well... I've been trading and investing since the later 90's, however, not so long ago (two years ago maybe?), I talked myself out of a call options play on Freddie Mac right after it crashed and burned. Woulda, coulda, shoulda netted a little over $50,000 in about a week or two from approximately $4500 risk. I even transferred from bank to brokerage accounts to do it. Was also looking quite hard at Ford for just over $1/share. BUT, being a student, no real income, debt building = not acting on it. Dang. :rolleyes:

Strong Start for OPTR today! :thumbup:

whats the bet on qnexa getting approved?

This is the moment where WVU and I say "I told you so".

If you buy gold back in 2006, you could have at least double (if you buy physical gold) or triple (if you buy funds/ETF) your money already. Unfortunately, I was too busy studying to pass pharmacokinetics exam and was dead broke at that time....

I just reallocated my portfolio from 10% to 25% of gold, 10% bonds, and 65% stocks. Right now, Gold is the biggest runner up so far... 33%+ in this year. My stocks holding is stagnant... My Municipal Bond holding is about 5%+ return but it will go down next year when the Feds hike the interest rate.
I remember gold being slightly over $700 back in 2003, I believe.

So do you think it's worth it to throw a small amount of money at large cap stocks? A 2-3% appreciation in these companies is considered typical, which means $30 on a grand. Minus the cost of buying and selling plus other fees/tax, you might make 10$?

Transaction feeds, capital gains, etc., will eat away at a small profit.
I'm not buying these stocks for quick profit. My outlook is pretty long-term. I don't have the time or inclination to do the research and price monitoring that buying for quick profit would entail. Nor do I think my nerves could sustain the wild swings in price that are typical of stocks in the short term.

A boring company that grows nicely year after year is more my cup of tea.

Wooooot Dow finally hits 11,000!

See you at 12,000 and gold @$1400/ounce :D

QE2 announcement this Wednesday probably another $500 billion... stupid Bernanke needs to eat ****... This is similar to a heroin addict, "I took a hit, I didn' feel anything, I took another hit, then OMG I am so ****ing high right now!!" When does printing money ever work? Inflation is just as destructive as deflation.

The run up of stocks maybe because this news is already priced in, watch where precious metals go...

Anyone take a look at ACTC that just received FDA approval to start clinical trials. 100% cure rate in rats for macular degeneration. Its a penny stock, but I might throw a few hundred (I'm broke) at this with the possibility of a big run up. If anything, it can do the same thing that ARNA did, which was skyrocket solely based on the news and anticipation of FDA approval.

Momus-whats your take on gold right now? I bought AEM with hopes of riding the wave, too bad it was the same day gold came to a screeching halt and started trending down. I actually was going to purchase the GLD (gold etf) to avoid the 28% tax on commodity stocks, but soon realized this tax also applies for the etf, because it buys gold which is considered a collectible. So, where is gold headed through the rest of the year?

I sold every share of ACTC I had yesterday and today.

I will get back in it when it goes down to 4 cents or so. It was a nice run up with the news.

For stem cells, I've been playing GERN, ATHX, and ACTC. These are all long term...buy and sell as news releases.

Short term hold, OPTR until the FDA approval. It should be sometime in 2011.

And I'm an idiot for selling ACTC little too early as it qudrupled to $0.016 last 2 weeks...I sold when it doubled. Now it's tanking again. I will watch it closely and get back in.

OPTR is enjoying a nice run.

****... my stop loss activated IRE... bought 13,000 shares at 1.90, put a stop loss at 2.50... and it hit 2.50 today an hour later it surged to 2.77... /sigh...

Oh well, profit is profit... Hope it goes back down then I'd double my shares using margin.

Gold is a mid term hold until at least the beginning of 2012.

You think Benlysta is going to get approved? HGSI @ ~24, bargain or gamble?
Darn, I have been eyeing OPTR for the past 2 months.. nothing happening and suddenly a nice run...

Gold is a mid term hold until at least the beginning of 2012.

I always hold some gold and oil in ETF.. I don't even know why I do that.

You think Benlysta is going to get approved? HGSI @ ~24, bargain or gamble?

Did they publish the study results?

Darn, I have been eyeing OPTR for the past 2 months.. nothing happening and suddenly a nice run...

I think Fidaxomicin will be approved before June of 2011. I'm going to try to get out if it peaks then get back in. I think there's still time to play the run ups.

I mean if they published the results in NEJM or Arthritis & Rheumatism or any other reputable journal?

:mad:

WTH is going on with ACTC...why has it more than quadrupled and it keeps going up???

Maybe one of the hedge fund or institution got some insider tips and bought tons of share to jack it up... >_>