Official, Pre-Allo NOT ACCEPTED YET 2017 applicant thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
USUHS also had movement today.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Me...after applying fewer than 10 (pretty selective schools), I got interviews at 3 UC schools. I felt that my stats, writing, LORs, and experiences were all solid. Still sitting on the waitlists, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm just an average interviewer (a little more on the reserved side, and interviews do not bring out the best in me). I usually feel good after interviews, but upon reflecting, I can see the various instances where I failed to really showcase my strengths, and only gave a mediocre answer, despite having practiced. I had so much more anxiety about the interviews, and would much prefer to write essays. I've been improving my application in the last year, but am not sure how to effectively improve my interview skills enough. It's so frustrating to be THAT close, but fall short, and I'm sure I don't have to explain that to anyone here.
You applied to TEN schools and got THREE interviews. You must be an excellent candidate! Everything can be improved but if there were something wrong with you as an interviewee, you'd be sitting on rejections instead. If you're on a waitlist, the problem is less you, more the limited number of seats. Hopefully you get good news (pro tip, shell out the money for the new MSAR, etc. to invoke cosmic irony). If you're stuck reapplying, then the number of applications is probably the biggest thing to fix!

Reactions: 2 users
Me...after applying fewer than 10 (pretty selective schools), I got interviews at 3 UC schools. I felt that my stats, writing, LORs, and experiences were all solid. Still sitting on the waitlists, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm just an average interviewer (a little more on the reserved side, and interviews do not bring out the best in me). I usually feel good after interviews, but upon reflecting, I can see the various instances where I failed to really showcase my strengths, and only gave a mediocre answer, despite having practiced. I had so much more anxiety about the interviews, and would much prefer to write essays. I've been improving my application in the last year, but am not sure how to effectively improve my interview skills enough. It's so frustrating to be THAT close, but fall short, and I'm sure I don't have to explain that to anyone here.
We are so similar. I applied to 11 schools and had 5 interviews (but only attended 4. I couldn't afford getting to one during the holiday season when plane tickets were running $700+, and it's a school that interviews waaay more than they accept, so I couldn't justify asking family to lend me the money). Got me on 3 waitlists. I'm not really sure if it's more my LORs or my interviews; I think it's probably a combination of both not being very impressive. I'm still hoping for a miracle because reapplying is just not something I can see myself doing after all of the difficulties applying the first time caused in my life. The most I can see myself doing is seeking out a DO to shadow since so many DO schools require it and then applying to a handful of DO schools later into the application season.

Reactions: 1 users
You applied to TEN schools and got THREE interviews. You must be an excellent candidate! Everything can be improved but if there were something wrong with you as an interviewee, you'd be sitting on rejections instead. If you're on a waitlist, the problem is less you, more the limited number of seats. Hopefully you get good news (pro tip, shell out the money for the new MSAR, etc. to invoke cosmic irony). If you're stuck reapplying, then the number of applications is probably the biggest thing to fix!
Thank you for the confidence boost. It's really needed these days. I definitely plan to apply to more schools outside of CA, but was really hoping to stay here. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: 1 user
We are so similar. I applied to 11 schools and had 5 interviews (but only attended 4. I couldn't afford getting to one during the holiday season when plane tickets were running $700+, and it's a school that interviews waaay more than they accept, so I couldn't justify asking family to lend me the money). Got me on 3 waitlists. I'm not really sure if it's more my LORs or my interviews; I think it's probably a combination of both not being very impressive. I'm still hoping for a miracle because reapplying is just not something I can see myself doing after all of the difficulties applying the first time caused in my life. The most I can see myself doing is seeking out a DO to shadow since so many DO schools require it and then applying to a handful of DO schools later into the application season.
Hoping for miracles for us both. Reapplying would also be terrible for me for so many reasons. I don't think most people plan on being in this situation.

Hoping for miracles for us both. Reapplying would also be terrible for me for so many reasons. I don't think most people plan on being in this situation.
Agreed. I was planning and bracing for it before I applied because I really, at that point, had no concrete evidence schools would recieve my application well. Once I got 5 interviews in a cycle where I was only complete at 11 schools, I became more comfortable with believing my future was that of a med student. It was hard to envision a scenario where that many schools deem me worthy of an interview but not of being a doctor. I feel lost now. Fingers crossed, indeed.

@gyngyn Do you know how the movement has been at Mercer? They created their waitlist much sooner this year than in years past, so I am curious to know if their movement will come to completion sooner or if it will be the same (very few spots after May).

Any significant WL movement at Stony Brook? I know there's been some sparse activity over the last week but I'm just wondering how long to keep on holding out. I'm thinking mid-June before giving up hope.

anybody on here with a >3.6 and > 510 that was not accepted this cycle? what do you think you did wrong? any advice?

I have not yet been accepted MD this cycle with >3.6 and >510. Extremely fortunate and grateful to have been accepted DO. Complete at 24 MD programs, 2 II -> 2 WL. What I did wrong (learn from my mistakes): ignored Faha's advice about my school list. Listen to Faha, fellows. Additionally, I undersold myself in my app, wrote weak secondaries, and failed to have anyone review secondaries before submitting, mistakenly valuing prompt submission over quality secondaries. I generally failed to place appropriate weight on the secondary application. Feel free to PM for details/additional advice.

Fair wind, fellow traveler.

@gyngyn Do you know how the movement has been at Mercer? They created their waitlist much sooner this year than in years past, so I am curious to know if their movement will come to completion sooner or if it will be the same (very few spots after May).
I don't have a lot of overlap with Mercer, sorry.
Any significant WL movement at Stony Brook? I know there's been some sparse activity over the last week but I'm just wondering how long to keep on holding out. I'm thinking mid-June before giving up hope.
I haven't seen any yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll tell you if I see anything!

I have to say that @gyngyn is a total trooper. We are all so nervous about waitlists and keep asking for notifications prematurely and yet gyngyn is always so patient and supportive even though the response is always the same Thank you gyngyn for tolerating our neurotic behavior haha.

Reactions: 28 users
I have to say that @gyngyn is a total trooper. We are all so nervous about waitlists and keep asking for notifications prematurely and yet gyngyn is always so patient and supportive even though the response is always the same Thank you gyngyn for tolerating our neurotic behavior haha.

I had to log in just so I could like this post. Thanks for all the positive vibes everyone! Anyone else waiting for some movement at CU?

Also any movement on the Eastern (virginia medical school) front?

Also has there been any movement at Columbia this week?
@gyngyn thank you for everything!!

Not the person you were replying to but I had 4 II (out of 18 applied) and 4 WL. The problem is most definitely me because there are people who did interview after me and get accepted. I simply wasn't good enough to fill a seat but I am good enough to be a replacement "just in case."

Not the person you were replying to but I had 4 II (out of 18 applied) and 4 WL. The problem is most definitely me because there are people who did interview after me and get accepted. I simply wasn't good enough to fill a seat but I am good enough to be a replacement "just in case."
I might have you beat. 6 II out of 17 applied and 6 WLs. I feel like I have a strong app and the only thing that could have caused this is my interview performances. But even then, I walked away from each feeling pretty good. Haha I've always thought of myself as socially competent and a good judge of social interactions but maybe I'm wrong.... I guess it ain't over till the fat lady sings but every day that passes without an acceptance feels like another knife being shoved through my heart.

Reactions: 3 users
@gyngyn

Hi, I was wondering if you have noticed any movement on UCSD and USC's waitlists this week.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Since my last post, there have been new offers at Wash U, USC and CO.
Any news on UTSW? I know you said awhile ago that their was a "Boatload" of movement. Could you clarify as to what that means exactly? Thank you so much for your help through this process.

Any news on UTSW? I know you said awhile ago that their was a "Boatload" of movement. Could you clarify as to what that means exactly? Thank you so much for your help through this process.
CA schools don't have a lot of overlap with TX. Actually, nobody has a lot of overlap with TX! So, when I see more than couple of acceptances at a single TX school it indicates a significant amount of movement.

@gyngyn

Hi, I was wondering if you have noticed any movement on UCSD and USC's waitlists this week.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Someone just posted in the UCSD thread that they called admissions today and heard that they released more acceptances this week and are at capacity. :(

Someone just posted in the UCSD thread that they called admissions today and heard that they released more acceptances this week and are at capacity. :(
"at capacity" sounds worse than it is. They'll be at capacity until somebody declines their acceptance due to other waitlist movements. Small comfort, I know. It's already been a few weeks, so it's natural for hope to dwindle. It's the nature of the waitlist to be held in anticipation. To be frank, it sucks.

"at capacity" sounds worse than it is. They'll be at capacity until somebody declines their acceptance due to other waitlist movements. Small comfort, I know. It's already been a few weeks, so it's natural for hope to dwindle. It's the nature of the waitlist to be held in anticipation. To be frank, it sucks.

You're absolutely right.

The dread and anxiety just gets worse as the days go by. I wouldn't wish this feeling on my worst enemy.

Reactions: 5 users
You're absolutely right.

The dread and anxiety just gets worse as the days go by. I wouldn't wish this feeling on my worst enemy.
Having gone through this last year, and facing the prospect of applying again in a few weeks, I can't agree more. Keep busy, eat well, exercise, do things you enjoy and we'll all see the other end of this, whatever the outcomes.

Reactions: 2 users
Keeping busy has really helped me. Make plans for next year assuming you're not getting off a waitlist. I'm planning a trip to Glacier National Park this summer to clear my head and that's helped take my mind off of the constant fear and anticipation of a phone call.

I don't have much to add except that I feel the pain as another week passes with no news, and hope that we all get what we oh so desire. *sigh*

Seriously, this especially sux for some schools who have known to have extensive waitlist movement but not showing any signs this year... UCI :/

Seriously, this especially sux for some schools who have known to have extensive waitlist movement but not showing any signs this year... UCI :/

gyngyn has mentioned some movement at UCI at least twice in this thread.

+ UCLA as well :(

gyngyn has mentioned some movement at UCI at least twice in this thread.
There will never be enough movement to satisfy the population of this thread. We are insatiable!

Reactions: 8 users
A waitlist is a stressful thing.
That much, I think is clear.
You'd give up mostly everything
To start in your career.

Your patience wanes, you rack your brains,
To try to figure out,
How all your gains and premed pains
Have left you so without.

Don't fret, my friends, it's only May.
There's still much time to pass!
Your day cannot be far away,
And soon you'll be in class.

I always hated this whole dance,
I really must insist.
I never thought I had a chance
At getting off that list.

But sure enough, my moment came,
And yours, I'm sure, will too.
And when it does, I must proclaim,
It is because of you.

Reactions: 38 users
To start in your career.

To try to figure out,

I really must insist.

It is because of you.
For some reason I read that in the voice of Colin from Whose Line Is It Anyway? and expected for the last stanza to be gut - aching hilarious. Still good though!

To start in your career.

To try to figure out,

I really must insist.

It is because of you.

Beautifully said! You inspire us all, @bananafish94. Thank you for the support and encouragement!

Hope first year is going well-almost to M2 now!!

CA schools don't have a lot of overlap with TX. Actually, nobody has a lot of overlap with TX! So, when I see more than couple of acceptances at a single TX school it indicates a significant amount of movement.

How about Tufts, any movement at all?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Got the call! UC Irvine 2021! Thanks to everybody in this thread, and good luck to you all!

Reactions: 43 users